And the Theme for SLB 19 is . . . Steampunk????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:40 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know what I'm about to say is going to annoy some people, but . . . seriously? Steampunk?

steampunk doesn't interest me much. But I will probably pop by to see SLB just because I usually do. Personally, I'm fine with an open-theme World Expo sort of thing for people to showcase whatever is cool this year in their country/region/city/imaginary world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Top hats with gears on them, as far as the monocle-clad eye can see.

Is that where "Top Gear" originated?

Bonus: Is "FogHat" steampunk?

And what about the Fire Hat from "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown"?

Does this mean that "Men Without Hats" could never be steampunk?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jasain Sands said:

This is not a theme that over all interests me but I will pop in to see what my fave stores are putting out because you never know... there is always that chance to be surprised.

The Birthday celebrations expos in itself are no shopping event though.

Edited by Sid Nagy

Haven't they done other themes over the years though?For me Steampunk is a nice place to visit, but I really couldn't do it all the time.. So it works for me..

Just like any other theme out there or that they've had in the past..

It could be way worse..It could be the same theme every year.. ;)

• Like 3

The theme is optional, yanno. Missy won't say "You will be assimilated into The Steampunk, resistance is futile!"

My dream theme is "Just Ride" and means that you can get around the grid in some sorta vehicle, undistrubed by orbs or banlines or overhangs.

The big reveal at "Meet the Lindens" would be Patch saying that it is now possible to ride from Corsica to Jeogeot on protected land/water. Happy to make the nav HUD for THAT!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not a roleplayer. I've never lived in a steampunk styled home, but I'm super pumped about this theme. I fell in  love with the world I experienced as a child watching Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. I didn't know that it was called steampunk, and to be honest, I didn't even know the term, steampunk, until I came to SL. Thanks to SL, I had a name for that special science fiction fantasy world I had loved for so long. 

So in my early days of SL I visited all the steampunk areas I could find. I looked for and bought steampunk style clothing. I added special pieces of steampunk inspired art pieces to my collection of furnishings. Oddly, or maybe not so oddly, I never sought out any of the steampunk RP communities, but like I said, I'm not a roleplayer. But I love .. .. LOVE the genre here in SL!

For those who have no interest in the steampunk genre, I'd think they could enjoy it just as they would visiting a museum. You don't have to be able to paint to enjoy paintings after all. Creatives, who haven't much interest in steampunk, could use it as a challenge to broaden their horizons. And for those who simply refuse to embrace the theme, they don't have to. It's completely optional. 

I'm so excited for SLB!

• Like 5

"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne was first published in 1869. The story is set in 1866.

It is a fictional Victorian era story written and published in the same Victorian era.  Therefore it is Victorian science-fiction, not Steampunk.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

Steampunk may be defined as “where history and fantasy collide with technology.”1

More specifically, Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology. Most Steampunk culture bases its aesthetic and narrative on machinery from the 19th century.

There are many different “veins” of Steampunk culture that have been written about, sampled in film, or enacted and imagined in modern-day fandom culture. These sub-genres include Pirate, Victorian, American West, Dystopian, and many others.

The history of Steampunk

So where does “Steampunk” come from?

The origin of Steampunk is debatable; it’s difficult to know exactly where the first Steampunk authors drew their inspiration from, but a couple of things are known fact.

First, Steampunk inspiration comes from the Victorian Age, from 1837 to 1901. The movement “reaches directly into the pocket of Victorian England and predicts what the world would be like today had its inhabitants and inventors prevailed over modern technology.”2

Second, before it was a full-flown sub-culture phenomenon, Steampunk started as a sub-genre of science fiction in the 1970s, and its inspiration takes from 19th century Victorian writers. These writers include Jules Verne, author of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and H.G. Wells who wrote The Time Machine.

https://intrans.iastate.edu/news/steampunk-transportation-the-victorian-era-and-the-steampunk-craze/#:~:text=The history of Steampunk&text=First%2C Steampunk inspiration comes from,inventors prevailed over modern technology.”

🤔

Iowa State University must not know they're talking about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne was first published in 1869. The story is set in 1866.

It is a fictional Victorian era story written and published in the same Victorian era.  Therefore it is Victorian science-fiction, not Steampunk.

yes. I looked it up

seems the term 'steampunk' came into general usage in/after 1987. Credited to the author Kevin Jeter who first used 'steampunk' to differentiate steam-powered alternative future storytelling from cyberpunk storytelling

the term was then back-ported to cover earlier works of steam-powered alternative future stories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._W._Jeter

Edited by Mollymews
''

12 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Sometimes people strain so hard at a gnat that they swallow a fly in the process. Yes, you can knit pick and act as though your view is the only correct view. 

11 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Thank you Silent. That is an excellent article. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always been the type to want to try out different themes/styles, so for me it doesn't matter, and I feel like this is a good opportunity for people to dip their toes into new things, even if a lot of the things will most likely be steampunk themed, there still might be gems that work with other styles as well.

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 3

Last year HBO had a lesbian-steampunk-themed show called "The Nevers". Not sure I made it through the first episode, but here's a particularly steampunk snippet of the trailer:

Supposedly the series has been neither renewed nor cancelled, so reports of steampunk's demise in popular media may be premature. Or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Supposedly the series has been neither renewed nor cancelled, so reports of steampunk's demise in popular media may be premature. Or not.

Steampunk certainly isn't as 'in' as it was 10 years ago, but whilst TV and film probably could have been a very strong platform for storytelling in a Steampunk setting, there were precious few TV shows or films actually made during the heyday of Steampunk that were worthwhile. 

It also doesn't help that some people put films like Sucker Punch and The City of Lost Children on the high end of 'best Steampunk movies' lists. Sucker Punch has one segment that is Dieselpunk, there's really nothing Steampunk about it - The City of Lost Children is entirely Dieselpunk. 

And yeah. I'll go right ahead an be that picky. It's about as accurate as saying that 'Gladiator is the best film ever, set in the medieval period!'. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.