Newbrooke's have been released!

Evangeline Arcadia
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles
1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I may be a complete idiot, but which models are the ones for the 512? None of them looked "smaller" than the one I rezzed, which is Emmas model btw (this one) ...

Roof_Bradbury.png.074d15a8d8bed224e80e06603270fb7e.png

LH Newbrooke - Aldridge -1024
LH Newbrooke - Bradbury - 1024
LH Newbrooke - Coniston -  1024
LH Newbrooke - Heaton - 1024

LH Newbrooke - Denver - 512
LH Newbrooke - Ender - 512
LH Newbrooke - Faraday - 512
LH Newbrooke - Gatewood - 512

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

That looks like a major change to the design of the house itself, so no.

Really???

That slight pitched add-on???

The Traditional add-ons that are out there are far more drastic changes then that little roof topper is.  By that logic half of Bellisseria could be sent back.  There are SOOOOOO many home addons that add entire home extensions where you go out your backdoor to a whole other section of the house that is an add-on.  Honestly if you guys are sending stuff like that back I am like a deer caught in headlights right now thinking about everything else you could send back.

What about all the add-ons that people have turned into cafes, little libraries, other sorts of changes.  I just made my own backyard addon in Newbrooke and turned the inside of it into a fun game area with bowling lanes even.  Should i just pack that all up and drop that premium too?

I really think you guys need to rethink what is out of theme cause i agree with many of the other people in this thread that those roof addons not only look in-theme.  I would argue that they are MILD add-ons especially when you begin to compare them with addons for other themes that have been available on the MP and used throughout Bellisseria for 2+ years now.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

That looks like a major change to the design of the house itself, so no.

Thank you for the info Abnor, but I disagree on this one.

A major change would have been creating an A shape roof. That looks like a simple rectangle, and it actually works, you don't even notice it. The addons created for the Trads and Vics are far more visible, and everybody is fine with them.

Abrazos. 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Woah.  This is surreal to me.  That is a very slight, very well done, and in-theme change in my eyes.  You can find examples of MCM houses like that anywhere in the country.  Plus people have been talking about creating similar add ons, as well as porches, and even whole other rooms SINCE THE THEME WAS REVEALED, with moles seeming to support it.  There are several examples of this in older Newbrooke posts in this forum.

As Eva said, drive through the traditional and houseboat regions.  There are HUGE house changes, some of them barely qualifying as in-theme, and they've been there since launch.  But now we're suddenly going ultra-strict?  You guys are generally pretty awesome and applaud creativity.  That just seems like a bizarre 180 to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Adrianna McArdle said:

Woah.  This is surreal to me.  That is a very slight, very well done, and in-theme change in my eyes.  You can find examples of MCM houses like that anywhere in the country.  Plus people have been talking about creating similar add ons, as well as porches, and even whole other rooms SINCE THE THEME WAS REVEALED, with moles seeming to support it.  There are several examples of this in older Newbrooke posts in this forum.

As Eva said, drive through the traditional and houseboat regions.  There are HUGE house changes, some of them barely qualifying as in-theme, and they've been there since launch.  But now we're suddenly going ultra-strict?  You guys are generally pretty awesome and applaud creativity.  That just seems like a bizarre 180 to me.

When I came to Bellisseria i had 4 premium accounts that i had already had for several years.  in the nearly 3 years I have lived there I have built lovely addons on most of my homes and my # of accounts has grown to 9.  I currently have 7 homes.  I have made a notecard of all the due dates of my premium dues (i do mine on the year long subscription).  I'm fully prepared to pull myself all the way back to my original 4 and then maybe only keep 1 or 2 houses.  

If Newbrooke is also bringing about a new super strict guideline that begins to eject people's add-ons based on super picky interpretations of this subjective "In-theme" clause.... then I think they have succeeded in making Bellisseria homes as unappealing to me as the original 2010 ones were.

My first alt comes due in April... That one will be going back to a free account.

@Patch Linden@Abnor Mole

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Evangeline Ling said:

When I came to Bellisseria i had 4 premium accounts

@Patch Linden@Abnor Mole

Same with premiums.  Mine grew because of Game of Homes.  SL is the only RL hobby I spend money on, and it was worth it because of how great the Belli community was and how gorgeous most of the regions were.

Belli now feels so very different than when it first started though.  There is clear favoritism by LL to certain people/groups, and it feels icky.  Now we're going hardcore HOA on simple add-ons that are much nicer than some of the craziness in the original homes.  It makes me really sad.  I still think it's an awesome place, but I wish we could go back to how it started.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Please give an official ruling about retexturing a Newbrooke roof to look like... yanno... an actual roof (rather than a Texas asphalt parking lot in 100 degree heat).

If an attractive copper roof is verboten... can we just cover the asphalt with a wood texture and call it a "deck"? how about plants? how about solar panels?

(no slanty roofs were suggested by this post, even though they make perfect sense)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, yestothis said:

I appreciate themes staying in theme. I hope LL starts to enforce their own covenants and keep neighborhoods from being chaos.

I also just reread this.  I agree with this 100% where it makes sense.  Get rid of helipads on houseboats and the victori-modern abominations.  But outlawing putting a slightly different, architecturally sound and theme looking roof on a building is going too far.  As would be getting rid of things like screened in porches on the Vics or single room add-ons for the traditionals.

If you can find it abundantly in the real world when looking at a similar design style, it's in theme imo.

Edited by Adrianna McArdle
  • Like 10

Heyheyhey, let's not go mad.  I don't think Abnor or Patch have morphed into add-on destroyers.  I think Newbrooke is more vulnerable than any previous theme to add-ons that dramatically change its aesthetic, and I think that LL and the moles want to head that off at the pass.

A few points:

>> After Newbrooke was introduced, the forum blossomed with pics of RL modern homes that folks were hoping to see.   There is market for those homes, clearly.

>> It would be extremely easy to convert one of the 512 Newbrook homes into a larger, FLW-style midcentury modern, with another whole story, more spread over the parcel, interesting new windows, etc.. People built great-looking modern homes before sculpties were even around, and you didn't have to be a great builder to do it.

>> It would also be extremely easy to add a bunch of swooping roofs and get a Jetson's house of one's dreams.

Yes, there are lots of add-ons that convert Trads into ... larger and more dramatic traditional homes.   There are nightmare add-ons that look like barns tacked onto Vics.  But they aren't prevalent.

With Newbrooke, every Tom, Dick, and Harry can make an add-on that looks pretty OK, but makes it no longer a container home.

I'm willing to wait and see what policy enforcement looks like over time, and I hope others will too.  I think that AT THIS TIME, the harder you push for a policy statement, the harsher that statement will be.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Heyheyhey, let's not go mad.  I don't think Abnor or Patch have morphed into add-on destroyers.  I think Newbrooke is more vulnerable than any previous theme to add-ons that dramatically change its aesthetic, and I think that LL and the moles want to head that off at the pass.

A few points:

>> After Newbrooke was introduced, the forum blossomed with pics of RL modern homes that folks were hoping to see.   There is market for those homes, clearly.

>> It would be extremely easy to convert one of the 512 Newbrook homes into a larger, FLW-style midcentury modern, with another whole story, more spread over the parcel, interesting new windows, etc.. People built great-looking modern homes before sculpties were even around, and you didn't have to be a great builder to do it.

>> It would also be extremely easy to add a bunch of swooping roofs and get a Jetson's house of one's dreams.

Yes, there are lots of add-ons that convert Trads into ... larger and more dramatic traditional homes.   There are nightmare add-ons that look like barns tacked onto Vics.  But they aren't prevalent.

With Newbrooke, every Tom, Dick, and Harry can make an add-on that looks pretty OK, but makes it no longer a container home.

I'm willing to wait and see what policy enforcement looks like over time, and I hope others will too.  I think the harder you push for a policy statement, the harsher that statement will be.

Money talks... and money walks too...

if a TINY little minor roof topper doesn't pass the theme test... Then yes all those homemade addons won't either.  I just went and created a backup of mine.

Sad thing is I was one of the biggest nay sayers of the Newbrooke theme when it was first presented.  And it still has a lot wrong with it such as the 30 home per region average and the lack of interesting landscapes.  BUT when it was released a few days ago i was actually excited because they made the 512 smaller homes on the 1024 lots too.  I thought that was a HUGE compromise of things people wanted and was even able to use the extra space on the lot to build a really cool retro/modern bowling alley that i was going to share with the public.  But i dare say the add-on changes i made far outweigh a tiny little roof that got rejected.

I'll wait a while... my next premium is up in April, i think that is plenty of time to make a judgement if this has turned into a new Era of Linden Home HOA craziness or not.  But if it is and we see stuff from this theme as well as older themes being reevaluated for "in-theme" esthetics... I'm more than happy to divert a good chunk of my entertainment money out of Linden Lab and to something else.

• Like 8

It would seem to me we might be able to accomplish more by sitting down and talking it through instead of making assumptions and threats. A small change to someone may not be seen that way by everyone. If you have a question, the Lindens have seemed more than willing to respond. Present your ideas and see what happens.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Yes, and minor modifications allow for everyone to have this without drastically changing the lovely things LL have built.

>>With Newbrooke, every Tom, Dick, and Harry can make an add-on that looks pretty OK, but makes it no longer a container home.

These are not really container homes to begin with though.  They have container home elements, but they're really more mid century modern.  And who cares if every Tom, Dick, and Harry makes modifications, as long as they're in theme?  Isn't one of the big selling points of Second Life the creativity its users can exercise?  If someone wants a bigger house, as long as it follows what exists and looks natural it shouldn't matter.

>>There are nightmare add-ons that look like barns tacked onto Vics.  But they aren't prevalent.

They are very prevalent.  Worse so are the houseboats.  Some of those are insane looking.  I love the houseboats but I feel like you have to a lot of de-rendering to live on one.

I don't think anyone here is mad per se (or at least I'm not), but it is disheartening.  I agree that this theme in particular is more vulnerable to add-on hell than most, but the example given so far seems extremely heavy handed.  Newbrookes also have the ability to hardcore showcase community ingenuity and creativity while staying within theme, I don't feel that should be stifled.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I got a 512 sqm house right in front of Mercedes house... 3 times! *cries.

I use to see monstrosities all around and AR a lot,  I see outside the chalets many sci-fi furnitures and even a stilt add-on on a vic.

Id love to be in the theme police, yeah, who knows me knows I can be a pain about decorations.... I like to think I have some taste and some good judgment... see? a pain! lol

So I must say Mercedes house captured ma eyes, it looked stunning and super in theme for me. Awesome taste and the roof made it unique and still very Newbrooke and modern making the neighborhood very attractive, I think that should count.

(Mercedes and I are no friends so ma opinion is not biased ok?!)

Edited by Bela Tolsen
cutting down the excess of "I must say" lol
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I am disappointed that roof options were not built into the theme.  If LL is going to go that stringent on the roof designs then some options should have been offered. Also, two of the homes have built in decks which you can't alter the texture on the flooring at all. At least I have not found the option to do do so.  For now I'll put a prim over the deck floor but that is using a prim I shouldn't have to use.  

Are we allowed to put things on the roof or is that building space not available?

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

26 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Are we allowed to put things on the roof or is that building space not available?

Yes.

14 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

A living roof or a deck is different than an add-on that looks like a major change to the design of the house itself, and I think that is what Patch wants to avoid... lest the theme becomes a sea of pointy, pitched rooves stretching out into the distance as far as the draw distance eye can see. 

• Like 3

Wasn't sure if I'd get one of these homes but, they wound up looking a lot better than in the preview. I do like the way the neighborhoods look and the homes are spacious and will lend themselves to decorating in a style I enjoy.

After a few tries I got a house in Coin Toss with the back yard facing the lake. It's a very nice spot. Right now the front has an ocean view from the front but of course eventually that will be extended into land for more homes.

Best thing? An ice cream truck showed up! How cute is this? It sat in front of my house for a couple of minutes, opened the freezer, waited and left. Next time I see if going to find out if I can get any ices off him.

Ice Scream You Scream!

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

I was touring the Newbrooke region today trying to decide if I wanted to get a home there or not. I must say I found this one totally amazing build that really impressed me. I believe it used the Denver on a 1024. Not going to say where I found this and I am afraid it might get blown up by the Moles, but it really is something to see. Wish I could post more pictures. It actually has two lanes for bowling.

Beautiful Dreamer Bowling 1_001.png

Beautiful Dreamer Bowling 10_001.png

Edited by Indy Melody
Addition info
  • Like 13
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Indy Melody said:

I was touring the Newbrooke region today trying to decide if I wanted to get a home there or not. I must say I found this one totally amazing build that really impressed me. I believe it used the Denver on a 1024. Not going to say where I found this and I am afraid it might get blown up by the Moles, but it really is something to see.

The only true violation I see there is the sign on top of the roof looks like it extends higher than 15m above group - and that is a no-no that LL has enforced from day one in all regions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy Melody said:

I was touring the Newbrooke region today trying to decide if I wanted to get a home there or not. I must say I found this one totally amazing build that really impressed me. I believe it used the Denver on a 1024. Not going to say where I found this and I am afraid it might get blown up by the Moles, but it really is something to see.

Yeah that one is mine and right now I'm waiting to see if it gets blasted by the latest round of the Linden Borg Collective punishing anything creative.  If a tiny little Roof Add-on got sent back I'm sure my Bowling Alley doesnt have a chance.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

1 minute ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Yeah that one is mine and right now I'm waiting to see if it gets blasted by the latest round of the Linden Borg Collective punishing anything creative.  If a tiny little Roof Add-on got sent back I'm sure my Bowling Alley doesnt have a chance.  

Normally I'd say it's only a problem if it really is higher than 15m -- that rule has been there since day one.  However, based on the comments from Patch and Abnor about the roof lines and the Theme, it likely will get returned, which is sad.

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.