What would you pay for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Looking at the many requests on these forums for sugar daddies and such, I wonder what kind of SL services people here would be willing to pay for?

Landscaping?  Avatar makeovers?  Help finding roleplay sims?  Live music performers?  Classes in particular subjects?  Intimate roleplay partners?

Also, what would you consider a reasonable price for such services? Even if you don't hire someone to work for you, what do you think is a fair price to tip people for their work?

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Looking at the many requests on these forums for sugar daddies and such, I wonder what kind of SL services people here would be willing to pay for?

Landscaping?  Avatar makeovers?  Help finding roleplay sims?  Live music performers?  Classes in particular subjects?  Intimate roleplay partners?

Also, what would you consider a reasonable price for such services? Even if you don't hire someone to work for you, what do you think is a fair price to tip people for their work?

That´s such a complicated topic, I hope you dont mind if I make it even more complicated.

1- There is no central government regulating work or even transactions between residents. (and you cant call out residents, so bad practices go unnoticed)

2- There is no system for residents to unionize and agree on market prices. (the beauty of free markets looks like a race to the bottom)

3- Linden to RL currency exchange can be very different from country to country, making a price standard nearly impossible to please everyone. (Paying Sim tier is a months salary in some countries)

Having said that, I will pay market price for any services that I hire because if I hire someone, it´s to do things that I cant, I pay for the skill.  If Im tipping an artist, I cant drop 500-1000 L, because the dollar exchange in my country is brutal (and limited), so I will drop 100L instead and not too often.

Makeovers, Landscaping, Finding sims, and all the things I can do myself, I wouldnt pay for. Customizing an avatar for me IS playing Second Life, makes no sense to pay for someone else to do it.   I would pay for classes if they are affordable.

• Like 5

I have paid for landscaping before, though it is hard to specify a valid price because it depends on so many things.  I've never hired DJs and live performers, but I do tip them when I attend their gigs, with the amount depending on a lot of factors.

And like Rowan, I would definitely pay for someone to organize my inventory, if that were possible -- lots of L$, definitely in the thousands and probably even tens of thousands.

• Like 2

I consider myself pretty good at inventory organizing, and I'd probably do it for payment. It's a pity it would be against TOS to let someone log into other people's accounts for that purpose. Another drawback would be knowing what to toss and what to keep. When I do an inventory purge, it takes hours to try on things (or look at pics and sometimes try on things AND look at pics), and that's just clothing.  I need to log in now and do a purge of furniture and knick knacks. 

What I would pay someone to do would be finding someone who is an expert in linking objects to maximize prim allotments.  I'm terrible at it.  There are so many minute details to watch out for doing that.  I always wind up linking such that the linked object takes up MORE LI than the unlinked objects.    Yesterday, I was trying to modify a kitchen table (that WAS mod) to get rid of some parts of it that were ugly and annoying (and used up LI I needed for other things), but the creator had linked some of the decorations with the TABLE LEG of all things, and there was no way to unlink that piece.  Designers, if you're going to create furniture with decorations on it,  leave it so that if we don't like that ugly vase, we can just delete it. I couldn't even make it invisible or the table leg would also be invisible.  /rant  I dumped what was otherwise a cute table and went back to a one LI table from Apple Fall.

Edited by Lysistrata Szapira
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If it were possible, I'd pay someone untold amounts to organize my inventory.  

I'm proud of my inventory, it's so neatly organized. I have folders and subfolders for everything, everything is categorized and ordered very neatly. - I know, very off topic but i just wanted to say that.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If it were possible, I'd pay someone untold amounts to organize my inventory.  

It's possible if you know someone in RL who you'd trust with your inventory. I've helped declutter my former landlady's inventory and my former boyfriend's. It can make even the most trusting friend feel irritated though, so I don't think it should be something done for pay. Most people have so much duplicate inventory and dead LM's that would be easy to delete, but if they can't find something where they expected it to be, they're going to be very unhappy with you.

17 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's possible if you know someone in RL who you'd trust with your inventory. I've helped declutter my former landlady's inventory and my former boyfriend's. It can make even the most trusting friend feel irritated though, so I don't think it should be something done for pay. Most people have so much duplicate inventory and dead LM's that would be easy to delete, but if they can't find something where they expected it to be, they're going to be very unhappy with you.

That's just it.  I don't expect anything to be anywhere as it is.  The clearing out is easier than the organizing.  

And NO, everyone who helped in my organizing inventory thread, it's nowhere near done.  😫

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I'm proud of my inventory, it's so neatly organized. I have folders and subfolders for everything, everything is categorized and ordered very neatly. - I know, very off topic but i just wanted to say that.

I too have folders and sub-folders and sub-sub-folders - and things are very well organized in them.  However, I also have a couple of very large folders (with subfolders) of things that need to be unpacked and tried on or checked out in some other way.  That folder, with all of its sub-folders, currently contains more than the other folders/sub-folders/sub-sub-folders of stuff.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
speling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

That´s such a complicated topic, I hope you dont mind if I make it even more complicated.

1- There is no central government regulating work or even transactions between residents. (and you cant call out residents, so bad practices go unnoticed)

2- There is no system for residents to unionize and agree on market prices. (the beauty of free markets looks like a race to the bottom)

3- Linden to RL currency exchange can be very different from country to country, making a price standard nearly impossible to please everyone. (Paying Sim tier is a months salary in some countries)

Having said that, I will pay market price for any services that I hire because if I hire someone, it´s to do things that I cant, I pay for the skill.  If Im tipping an artist, I cant drop 500-1000 L, because the dollar exchange in my country is brutal (and limited), so I will drop 100L instead and not too often.

Makeovers, Landscaping, Finding sims, and all the things I can do myself, I wouldnt pay for. Customizing an avatar for me IS playing Second Life, makes no sense to pay for someone else to do it.   I would pay for classes if they are affordable.

How do you know what market price is for a service in SL?  I don't think we need centralized regulation of fees, but if people share what they have paid and what they'd be willing to pay, I think this should help us get an idea of what the market price might be.

Edited by Persephone Emerald

As with many rules that are disregarded and overlooked by the Powers That Be, this would indeed be against the TOS.  Here is the paragraph relating to that which ALSO (happily) goes against that old "five avatar" per person edict of long, long ago.  Happy to have found that at the same time.  Notice the "including" part which was not always in the TOS. Actually the TOS LONG ago was terrifically simple much like Kitely's.   :D.   

image.thumb.png.3ffae8b1267cf303e451fd5f108080aa.png

About the inventory folder messes. Would be neat for LL to pay to add object label system and smart folders: where residents may right click the object and in that menu a label option with a list that expands, sorta like adding objects to different parts of the avatar body except the body parts would be folder names that residents could add different names to and could set the folders to auto organize the objects based on the label they are set to? Maybe with macros click the object label and bunch of icons that residents can customize pops up with as many sub categories, I've seen some folder systems that scare me they are so organized.

The unboxing system is sorta bad, needs to be easier. It took me a few years to realize that I don't want to unbox all the crap in the box just the product, I don't want group add scripts and mystery scripts or landmark junk. I drag and drop the stuff I want to unpack. 

• Like 1

Not sure how regulating freelance workers would look like? 

Usually when I hire a personal shopper I will let them know how much the object budget is for, transfer the lindens and let them keep the change. I usually pick random residents with style I like. Usually give them as much time as they need to find what i'm looking for. Sometimes i've paid a few thousand linden up to a few hundred USDs for what I needed to find. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

As with many rules that are disregarded and overlooked by the Powers That Be, this would indeed be against the TOS.  Here is the paragraph relating to that which ALSO (happily) goes against that old "five avatar" per person edict of long, long ago.  Happy to have found that at the same time.  Notice the "including" part which was not always in the TOS. Actually the TOS LONG ago was terrifically simple much like Kitely's.   :D.   

image.thumb.png.3ffae8b1267cf303e451fd5f108080aa.png

FYI, every single person that uses their alts with Smartbots violates that clause.

I wish LL would offer an official alternative.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I would pay A LOT for someone to create a HUD that would scan your inventory and remove all duplicates. If it lost a couple things in the process then I probably wouldn't notice.  Then I would organize my inventory myself.

I have >100 things named "Object" .. many have scripts in, they might all be trash, but then again ... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I have >100 things named "Object" .. many have scripts in, they might all be trash, but then again ... 

My friend who's a builder has over 60000 things named "Object" in her inventory since her builds range from room decor to building whole sims.

I know many people pay for design/build services out there whether it's to design part of sim, whole sim, clubs or any other public places to private work like creating unique homes for residents based on idea or theme.

Inventory management can be very easy if you know which tools to use and have structured way of thinking, the sooner you start organizing it the better. When I decided to take that leap it was already kinda late for me and the process of organizing my inventory took me around a month to complete.

I'd love to see HUD that organizes and categorizes poses and animations allowing easy access and use to whichever you need(there's already such HUD for outfits by the way:P)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Doing most of this stuff; avatar makeovers, landscaping, interior decorating, etc, is what the fun of SL is all about for me. Doing Fantasy Gay Pride for the past 3 years taught me a lot about landscaping and terraforming, so I think I'm pretty decent at that now. I've been commissioned to do a garden for a friend but I wouldn't do it as an actual job because I can't guarantee I'll have the time.  I'm already the event manager for Chiaroscuro now and that's enough.

I'll tip DJs and hosts, usually L$100, and I try to tip more (L$200 to 250) for a live performer. 

Last year I hired someone to make a custom pose for me. The creator didn't want money for it, even when I offered, but I paid him anyway (I think it was L$500).  But that would be the limit of my budget for a service, so in general, if I can't do it myself, I make do without.

• Thanks 1

I’d almost be more inclined to pay for the chance to do it myself. Twelve years in, I can count on one finger’s hand how many times I finally sucked it up, maybe after months of trying, and asked anyone for so much as tips, let alone taking over. Frankly, I see it as a challenge to enjoy—no point in paying someone to take it from me.

Of course that’s for services, as the OP specified. I draw the line at products (perhaps with the exception of scripts) since, honestly, the skills and time required are way, way beyond me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How do you know what market price is for a service in SL?  I don't think we need centralized regulation of fees, but if people share what they have paid and what they'd be willing to pay, I think this should help us get an idea of what the market price might be.

maybe market price is a specific term that Im using wrong, what I meant is the regular price of a thing/service at a time.  For example, with clothes, some time ago a single item would go between 200-500 L in general, now prices are lower at the events, so I would say 50-250 L for something like a pair of shorts, or a top. According to the Marketplace.

For custom mesh the range is a bit wider but it´s usually between 3000-5000 L with an extra 1000L to rig for an extra body, according to what I usually see in the emplyment section of the forum.

I havent kept up with prices for things like DJ, but custom profile pictures go between 1000-3000 L, I would consider that "market price", you´ll find cheaper from people trying to break into the market, and more expensive from people who can afford to have less work or already have a network to get clients, or at least that´s the price range I usually see on profiles from photographers.

• Thanks 1

I pay for clothes and avatar improvements because my tastes are better than my talents.  I tip at venues for entertainment because I enjoy the music and the atmosphere. I don't pay for companionship because I give companionship in return.  I give value for value received. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.