Game of Houses - Who's Won?

Risk Nebula

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, all! Hope it's okay to pester you all, just got curious...

I'm currently in a houseboat, which I thought was my ultimate dream, with an edge on the protected waterway and a corner plot. Yet I'm already feeling the urge to throw it back into the wild and see what else I can find. Maybe I can get a log house right in the perfect spot, maybe I can luck into a stilt on the pier with those gorgeous views, maybe another houseboat but one of the ones tucked against the coast and secluded, maybe Newbrooke, maybe... And whatever I get, it'll mean a new wave of decorating and such, which may be my favorite part.

To some degree, I've managed to curtail the feeling of "new home every week" by having a more steady Mainland house and just shuffling through Linden homes. Still, sometimes it feels a little weird giving up an entire house and all the work I spent on it just because I want to see if Victorians are worth the fuss!

So I'm curious to see if others feel the same, or if former avid players of the Game of Houses at last found the one spot where they settled. What drives the urge to constantly move? What would get you to stay? Have you found a forever spot, or at least a forever-for-now spot?

Would love to know!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sailorcipher said:

What would get you to stay?

The battle is with yourself so it is whatever feeds your vanity and addiction. Different parcels mean different things to people. An open water view to me is a great place to settle and there are tons of those in Bellisseria. I like to have one linden home parcel at a time. I like to have only one account at a time - it pains  me to use more but I do find myself doing that to help me find a new parcel if I fancy a switch so to get to a place in my head where I have one account and don't switch - that is ultimately for me, winning. Winning my brain. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sailorcipher said:

So I'm curious to see if others feel the same, or if former avid players of the Game of Houses at last found the one spot where they settled. What drives the urge to constantly move? What would get you to stay? Have you found a forever spot, or at least a forever-for-now spot?

I got my dream home (a little camper) in 2020, I knew from the first moment I was going to keep it forever. I also managed to get a Trad that I loved, it actually took me months of waiting until the previous owner abandoned it.

Those two are my keepers, but I also played a lot just for fun, basically to explore regions.

I am not as involved in Bellisseria as I used to be, it is always the same after a while, and I feel quite limited by the theme. Since I have my two dream homes, the rest has ended up being a game to me. I knew that, with time, it will be just my two keepers, abandoning the rest.

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 8

I have my perfect log house and have had it over a year now. I don't think I will ever abandon it unless something weird happens haha.

I've got two other houses, a Vic which I'm keeping now, it's on the coast and a Trad which is set up as a public house, it's on the river. 

Snapshot_008.png

Edited by Madonna666
Added picture
  • Like 11

I am a bit sad about GoH because in RL, I could not defend to have Premium alts.

They had the perfect houses and locations. After I gave up them, I have never found the location with capital L.

No need to cry for me because I still have enough money to play with in SL. 😉 The best part about GoH was having more than one Premium. Now it is one Premium, only Marianne, and it is come to the point where I think that I might give up Premium.

I have only 3 weeks left, so let us see if he hope of Newbrooke will keep me hanging on.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo
  • Like 6

I currently have three "keepers" on alts: a log home on Brichester, houseboat on Hardtack, and a stilt on Visser.  I have let some equally nice parcels go in the past, some of which were very difficult due to the emotional attachment I had from decorating them.    

I have been spending less time in SL lately, so have not been looking for the greener grass.  I recently moved Matthieu back up to premium, and have been rolling a few here and there, but am mostly waiting for the Newbrooke release.  If I do find something that tempts me in the meantime, I'm not sure what I will do.  I'm not always in the mood to build/decorate, and forcing the issue usually takes away much of the joy.

Everyone has a different situation.  For many, deciding how much time and money they are willing to spend in a virtual world is an ongoing struggle.  For those who can't justify paying for another premium account, the decision to keep or toss is all the more difficult.

The way I see it, whether you have one premium account or thirty, there will always be homes to claim.  If you claim enough of them, you will find something that you like as much or more than anything you have had.  I'm also a big believer that what you do with a parcel is more important than the parcel itself, but I readily admit that some locations are better than others.

• Like 9

I ultimately got bored with LH and GOH and threw almost everything back, and am back to living on Mainland where I am happier being able to choose my own houses, terraform, and do anything else I please with my parcel. That's how I won my GOH, at any rate! 

I do plan to keep one parcel, probably my houseboat, only because I'm currently playing my own version of GOH where the quest is to have a parcel on every continent. :) 

• Like 10

I agree with the posters who said "location".  The houseboats and stilts were my least favorite due to the lack of privacy landscaping.  My houseboat is the LH I've had the longest.  It is attached to land on a bay and the houseboats around me are well staggered so there is no one staring in my windows.  I have a view of open sailable water to the south, a view of the bay to the west, and land on a third side.  I also have been through several stilts of all varieties but was suddenly inspired by a stilt on pier I caught about a month ago that has a wide waterway one side and a void region on another.  It is not what I thought I wanted, but inspiration hits at weird times.  I like rolling the dice and seeing what's out there, so I always seem to have one account that hops around looking.  It means making some tough decisions about letting parcels go, but that is part of the fun.  It can take a long time to catch an inspiring parcel.

I feel like I "won" GoH with my log home.  I caught it on my main account (lucky!) and love the location on a cliff with a view.  I would give up all the rest to keep this one.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 9

I'll admit that I might be coming at this from a different angle than y'all, because at the moment I can only really justify the one premium account (and that barely). If I go hunting, I do have to wager my current house entirely!

Still, it's been interesting hearing what everyone else does. Maybe someday I'll find the forever spot... Or get so distracted by building houses in The Sims that my decoration urge slows a bit.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, sailorcipher said:

I'll admit that I might be coming at this from a different angle than y'all, because at the moment I can only really justify the one premium account (and that barely). If I go hunting, I do have to wager my current house entirely!

Still, it's been interesting hearing what everyone else does. Maybe someday I'll find the forever spot... Or get so distracted by building houses in The Sims that my decoration urge slows a bit.

It makes a huge difference in the gambling if you only have one account.  Winners are out there, but it can take a long time.  A good time to make that gamble is right when the new theme Newbrooke is released.  People will let go of some amazing parcels to try for the new one, but it could still take time to find something perfect.

When I had just one premium account, I would keep my 5th try of the day so I had a "home" to log into the next day and just kept trying.  It took a couple weeks to find something I liked.  When I wanted to move, I did the same thing - emptied my current house and started my 5 tries over and over until I had another one I wanted.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 6

As I have said many times, I am a terrible GOH player. If I get a property I like, it is very hard for me to give it up. Yes, there are always better ones out there, but generally I land a spot I like -- and by the time I finish landscaping and decorating it, I love it.

I am in a different boat than most GOH players. I had 11 Premium accounts, not for Linden homes but to pay the tier on a large store I had on the mainland -- it was actually an enhanced duplicate of my main store (because the shopping region I had my main store on frequently had problems where a large popular even frequently made it difficult for customers to get to my store). Then one day I realized that I did not really need the mainland duplicate store because the events petered out and were no longer blocking access to my store. So I closed it down and ... suddenly I had 11 premium accounts to go shopping for linden homes. The intent was to keep them only until the annuals expired, then to downgrade all but my main.

The problem is that my alts all landed homes that I fell in love with. Did I need with 11 homes for 1 RL player?? Of course not. The intent was to downgrade each alt as it's annual premium came up for renewal, but ... now I had a new problem. I loved each of my homes and found them hard to give up.

Over time, I have gotten them down from 11 to 7.

I almost had it down to 6, but I decided to roll (for the heck of it) on an alt I had already given up the home and was planning to downgrade... and I rolled one that I really liked.

Do I plan on making more alts and trying for more places? no!  Will I eventually tire of some of my spots and downgrade more? possibly. Will I change out homes from time to time on existing premium alts... occasionally.

Am I a GOH winner? I guess that depends on how you define winner. I have some homes I really love and enjoy being at. So I guess that makes me a winner.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I got tired of GOH long ago, somewhere around the time that the Log Homes came out.  I still tried a little bit off & on after that until I got a Traditional location that I loved, but having that and a wonderful Houseboat spot and Mainland, I soon discovered that I just don't have time to spend hanging out in so many locations.  Even though I loved the Traditional location, I loved the Houseboat location better (only 9 houseboats in the region, my spot is fairly isolated, and it gives me a 2 region water view on one side), so I eventually tossed the Traditional.  Since then, I have only grabbed a new home in each Theme in order to get the Content package.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7

Im still in my 1st Traditional. Its such a perfect spot I couldn't dream of giving it up. I wouldn't mind having a totally different house style, but I don't want to give up that plot.

I have a premium Alt that has done the catch and release to experiment with the other styles but I've never landed anywhere with a good enough location to want to stay.

I keep my alt moving, looking for the perfect spot, but I'm starting to think I hit the jackpot on my 1st pull and I may let the premium on my ALT lapse when the time comes. Unless I find something amazing in the meantime of course.

• Like 8

I tried for some Victorians and went through some really bad ones because of the flak-catching technique that the GoH hardcore players use (they take a bunch of lousy land, then camp for the release of new sims to grab the best pieces, and anyone trying to come in innocently who isn't prepared to watch and camp then trips over all the blah ones they release suddenly from all their alts.)

I then decided actually to let go a second Fantasseria house because...why? I have enough to do and the tier is better applied elsewhere, e.g. abandoned land on a sim where I have rentals or projects.

I noticed that those coveted logs near The Hut are still "protected" and there are people hovering all the time I guess able to stay up all night to play. 

You can also just ride the railroad or fly around Bellisseria to enjoy it too. 

• Like 10

I've only got the one account for having a LL home, which tends to make landing that dream spot much more difficult. I did have a great houseboat on the end of a row, with an open water region next door - took me 20 straight days of using up my 5 tries to get it. I really liked it, but I only stayed there a few months before all the neighbours round me started to ruin the area with horrible out-of-theme builds :( 

I was lucky enough to grab a riverside Log home when they were first released, but had to abandon it months later when i went through a horrible period of unsolvable lag - getting only 4 fps in Bellisseria at the time.  I now have another Log home right by one of the bigger lakes, so it really has a great view, and not that many homes in the region, plus the railway line is just out the front too, but honestly I am about to give this one up too and go grab some mainland. I realised I spend far more time exploring Belli than actually living in my house lol

I found it very frustrating trying to "compete" with others when trying to get a location that appealed to me, and really got disappointed when I would see several homes in a new release all owned by the same person (or people in the same land group). The tactics some have used to obtain large quantities of prime locations really ruined the community aspect for me.  I've noticed plenty of locations in various themes still waiting to be released, several of which I'd be happy with, but the time it has taken for these to be released, plus the chance of me actually landing one, means that I decided it's not worth the hassle of trying for one.

So I guess i consider myself a loser in the GoH stakes, having seen multiple "perfect" places for me but never being able to obtain one.

On the positive side though, I love the work the Moles have done, and I've always enjoyed driving, sailing, and flying around, exploring the entire continent - and that's something I will continue to do regardless of whether I live there or not :D

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

Winning felt like the endgame for me, it was the search and the forum banter that was so much fun.
I had my dream houseboat for about a week and I was more sad that it felt over than anything else.
Creating the map, the birth of a continent was so fascinating in the beginning, but now the process feels more focused on meeting volume targets and it is hard to be excited about new releases.
I am really grateful though for the experience, and feeling involved in Bellisseria early days.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Creating the map, the birth of a continent was so fascinating in the beginning, but now the process feels more focused on meeting volume targets and it is hard to be excited about new releases.
I am really grateful though for the experience, and feeling involved in Bellisseria early days.

I guess we all feel a bit the same, the early days of Bellisseria were the most fun. The community is not what it used to be, and some of us have either returned to RL or Mainland, but the houses are still there, as well as the friends we made

Edited by Elena Core
typos
  • Like 12

I've fallen in love with two homes that were intended to be temporary - a stilt and a Vic. But my clear never-going-to-leave-it winner in GoH, acquired on the day it was released two years ago (as the result of my one and only successful hand-off from an observant and generous GoH player), is my trad - hills on all 4 sides (the regions to the south and south-west are unoccupied parkland/wilderness), with no visible neighbors. It could only be improved with the addition to the region of some ambient sound. 

homealone.jpg

• Like 12

GoHs has felt like a roulette wheel to me. I've been in SL for 15(!) years, and I've mostly rented on private estates. Over the years, I collected a lot of prefab houses. Mainland never really appealed to me. I turned my hand at a few parcels but never could fully embrace the aesthetic. Plus I continue to have a restless nature. It's not that unusual, because I've run into a lot of people who labeled themselves as tumbleweeds. (I'm looking at you @Sylvia Tamalyn 😉.) Until Bellisseria emerged on the horizon, I only had one alt. She rarely came out to play. 

It's always been about water and lush green landscapes for me. With each theme, a vision evolved of the perfect location. I thought I'd love the On Pier the best of the stilts. As it turns out, the ones that are on land but dip their toes into water have been the draw. Nonetheless I've never been able to keep one for very long. When I let a home go, I don't usually feel much regret. It warms my heart when I see the next owner has named the home "Sanctuary" or "Home Sweet Home". Maybe it's their forever place. I still marvel at the folks that have hung onto their undecorated homes, since April 15, 2019. 

Even though my goal (Trad on a river) has evolved from the beginning of Belli, I've held onto houseboats longer than any of the other themes. Tiny homes appeal to me, and the add-ons that people have created for them make them liveable for me. Ideally I'd like to get back to one or two premium accounts. My oldest alt just landed a trad on the river with a view of the Cedarburg lighthouse. Knowing me, it won't be forever.

Edited by Marisa Starbrook
  • Like 12

23 minutes ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

a view of the Cedarburg lighthouse

I got a lovely boat quite recently looking out over Bellisseria Bay with same lighthouse view although I see me keeping this one unless I spy something completely off the charts - I regard this one as a super area 

• Like 6

Im blessed with 2 premium accounts and both have been my main (why I have 2 main is a very long story) so atm I can play GOH with both. On my alt (if i call my newer account alt) I have got my dream home so I won in my own eyes. I enjoy myself a lot on my main account as I can play GOH with no pressure at all with that one. Its the exciting house lottery that keep me going and the wonderful community in Bellisseria. So its a win win for me (and for LL 😂 ). Its a bit expensive though as taxes in Sweden are horribly high... but so far its well worth it 🤑

heathstoneUkraine_002.png

• Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.