What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Eh? Where do Canadians come into this?? The guy said he is from Wisconsin, not Winnipeg. You do know Wisconsin is in the US right?

If you watch the video, you'll see that the Bostonian (a proxy for @Drake1 Nightfire) confuses Wisconsin with Canada. The Wisconsonite (a proxy for me) is similarly confused about where Boston is. The confusion is manufactured, playing off stereotypes, and is precisely the sort of humor Drake and I enjoy.

Drake got the joke and ran with it, quite to my delight.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you watch the video, you'll see that the Bostonian (a proxy for @Drake1 Nightfire) confuses Wisconsin with Canada. The Wisconsonite (a proxy for me) is similarly confused about where Boston is. The confusion is manufactured, playing off stereotypes, and is precisely the sort of humor Drake and I enjoy.

Drake got the joke and ran with it, quite to my delight.

Ok good to know. I just seen too many videos like this to have been sure:

15 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Cheese is overrated. It's  gross and a waste of perfectly good milk.

Good for you, that there are no laws that make you buy or eat it.

Thankfully mileages vary: My second necessity in life, right after good coffee, is the good old Dutch 48+ Gouda cheese.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Ok good to know. I just seen too many videos like this to have been sure:

So, you made an assumption that i was that stupid rather than understanding the video Maddy posted? I'm not sure whether to be offended or stunned. 

You do realize they only show the people who fail those questions in those videos, right? They talk to hundreds of people and only use the ones that are idiots or fit their narrative. 

BTW, never get in a fight with a Canuck, they will call upon the moose and bears to defend them while they pee maple syrup in your eyes. 

• Haha 2

At the risk of being assassinated on any of my incredibly unpopular hills...

1.  Name calling is the lowest form of debate.  It equates to losing the argument in my books.

2.  Just because it's speech you hate, that doesn't make it hate speech.

3.  The world does not care about your "feelings". 

4.  That "celebrities" should just stick to what they are paid to do....act!  I have lost respect for SO MANY over the past couple of years and am running out of movies and shows I will watch nowadays as I can't even bear to look at these idiots!

5.  I was never asleep, so will never be "woke".

6.  Just because you have a difference of opinion, that doesn't mean you can't have respect for one another, you can't have love for one another, that you can't have incredible friendships with one another.  It's our differences that make us special - Gabriel Iglesias.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Cheese is overrated. It's  gross and a waste of perfectly good milk.

Ohhh a hill of cheese would be my idea of heaven :) Although I might draw the line at Stinking bishop or Casu Martzu (neither of which I could ever afford anyway).

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

4.  That "celebrities" should just stick to what they are paid to do....act!  I have lost respect for SO MANY over the past couple of years and am running out of movies and shows I will watch nowadays as I can't even bear to look at these idiots!

Does them being celebrities negate their opinions or minds? There are many many celbs that have masters degrees in various subjects. If Dolph tells me not to get a lit torch to close to a section of wall i will listen as he has a masters in chemical engineering. Just as many have degrees in sociology. Just because they are a celebrity doesnt mean they cant be right. 

4 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, you made an assumption that i was that stupid rather than understanding the video Maddy posted? I'm not sure whether to be offended or stunned. 

You do realize they only show the people who fail those questions in those videos, right? They talk to hundreds of people and only use the ones that are idiots or fit their narrative. 

BTW, never get in a fight with a Canuck, they will call upon the moose and bears to defend them while they pee maple syrup in your eyes. 

First off the video I linked was about a need for geography schooling, not stupidity. There is a difference. What I now understand about Maddy's explanation of the video she posted is that it is about regional discriminations and stereotypes, not universal ones. Not being a Bostonian or Wisconsin native, I wasn't aware of that but still in the dark about your "Fricking Canadians" reference, though after being invited to picture a Canadian peeing maple syrup, it is probably another American stereotype of Canadians I am better off being ignorant about.

29 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

First off the video I linked was about a need for geography schooling, not stupidity. There is a difference. What I now understand about Maddy's explanation of the video she posted is that it is about regional discriminations and stereotypes, not universal ones. Not being a Bostonian or Wisconsin native, I wasn't aware of that but still in the dark about your "Fricking Canadians" reference, though after being invited to picture a Canadian peeing maple syrup, it is probably another American stereotype of Canadians I am better off being ignorant about.

The video you linked had hand picked clips from hundreds of people actually videotaped. Those kids probably had proper schooling, some people just dont retain geography. 

The video Maddy posted was a joke, which apparently went over your head. The "Bostonian" called the Wisconsiner a Canadian several times... Good lord its all in good fun, no discriminations involved. 

You really need to lighten up a bit when online.. Not everything is a hill you need to die on. 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

But first we immobilize our prey with butter tarts and poutine.

There's a whole episode of Nature about it somewhere. David Attenborough would know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But first we immobilize our prey with butter tarts and poutine.

There's a whole episode of Nature about it somewhere. David Attenborough would know.

I was on the verge of not allowing anyone else to die on any of my MOUNTAINS OF CHOCOLATE but then you pulled their fat out of the fire just in the nick (ole ass) of time. How do you manage to keep doing that? STOP IT!

31708e84c20470900f904678dbb21c51.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

1.  Name calling is the lowest form of debate.  It equates to losing the argument in my books.

2.  Just because it's speech you hate, that doesn't make it hate speech.

3.  The world does not care about your "feelings". 

5.  I was never asleep, so will never be "woke".

6.  Just because you have a difference of opinion, that doesn't mean you can't have respect for one another, you can't have love for one another, that you can't have incredible friendships with one another.  It's our differences that make us special - Gabriel Iglesias.

1.   I agree 100%. Although it is tempting at times, especially when one's prime minister is a ... (nope, you're right).

2.   Agreed.

3.   I care.

4.   Generally I agree apart from when it's Brian May from Queen who is a professor and campaigner against the culling of badgers and an all-round good guy. 

5.   Me too ... and not in a Weinstein way.

6.   Absolutely agree with you. A difference of opinion can be good - educational even. I have properly fallen out with people, even on these forums, but have still clicked to laugh or like a post that has amused or entertained or educated me in some way.  Every single person here creates the balance. 

36 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Caclium go brr and make my bones not suck.

Milk is, according to most (i.e, Harvard School of Public Health, MAYO, etc) not necessarily the best source of calcium for most people. And the fat type and content in milk, in addition to excessive vitamin A, is not actually good for you. The lactose (a type of sugar) in cow milk is also indigestible by most of the worlds non-white north European populations.

Weird fact .. heavy milk consumption (more than two glasses a day) actually increases your chances for osteoporosis, as well as ovarian and prostate cancers.

I'm still on the anti-milk hill. :)

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.