What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Humans are the only species to drink another species milk and to drink it after weaning.  An estimated 65% of the world's population is somewhat to severely lactose intolerant.  For a reason.

I'm so happy I am not one of them. As a baby my body rejected any and all kinds of milk until my mom finally reached the end of her rope and gave me whole homogenized milk. I've been drinking it ever since without any issues. Over 60 years! 🥛

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm so happy I am not one of them. As a baby my body rejected any and all kinds of milk until my mom finally reached the end of her rope and gave me on whole homogenized milk. I've been drinking it ever since without any issues. Over 60 years! 🥛

My paternal grandmother couldn't (or wouldn't) breastfeed and my father was so lactose intolerant he nearly died from being fed cow's milk. So, he was handed over to my grandparents for care, an arrangement that became permanent and my father credited for saving his life in every fathomable way.

His lactose intolerance also meant I often got to eat his ice-cream.

Lactose intolerance, the gift that keeps on giving!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The video you linked had hand picked clips from hundreds of people actually videotaped. Those kids probably had proper schooling, some people just dont retain geography. 

The video Maddy posted was a joke, which apparently went over your head. The "Bostonian" called the Wisconsiner a Canadian several times... Good lord its all in good fun, no discriminations involved. 

You really need to lighten up a bit when online.. Not everything is a hill you need to die on. 😉

The video I linked showed samplings of the 70% grade 12 students who had just a basic level of geography , probably meaning they knew their home address and not much else. Not my definition of a "proper schooling" as it begs the question of what else the education system today does not help them retain. No worries though, there are videos showing Canadian students and even beyond, aren't in much better shape and just proves it is not because of stupidity of the population but an educational system that fails in its ability to teach.

The video Maddy posted was a joke, which apparently went over your head. The "Bostonian" called the Wisconsiner a Canadian several times... Good lord its all in good fun, no discriminations involved. 

You really need to lighten up a bit when online.. Not everything is a hill you need to die on. 😉

It wasn't Maddy's video I was questioning but your fricking canadian comment in relation to it. Initially it was a tongue in cheek question though that seems to have gone over your head.  And yes, not everything is a hill one needs to die on as one can simply wait for the other to dig themselves into a hole.

digging_deeper_2-thumb-768x459-864.jpg?f

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The video I linked showed samplings of the 70% grade 12 students who had just a basic level of geography , probably meaning they knew their home address and not much else. Not my definition of a "proper schooling" as it begs the question of what else the education system today does not help them retain. No worries though, there are videos showing Canadian students and even beyond, aren't in much better shape and just proves it is not because of stupidity of the population but an educational system that fails in its ability to teach.

You keep missing the point.. Those videos are skewed. They do not show any sort of fair sampling. They only show the failures. The "study" only tested 10000 high school seniors out of over 3 million! Please, the study was skewed.  Defending it is pathetic. That would be akin to asking 10,000 women if they experienced severe pain during PMS, and then only showing the ones that said no. 

It wasn't Maddy's video I was questioning but your fricking canadian comment in relation to it. Initially it was a tongue in cheek question though that seems to have gone over your head.  And yes, not everything is a hill one needs to die on as one can simply wait for the other to dig themselves into a hole.

You said.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

Eh? Where do Canadians come into this?? The guy said he is from Wisconsin, not Winnipeg. You do know Wisconsin is in the US right?

Nothing tongue in cheek about that. Especially when the "Bostonian" in the video said Winnipeg several times as a joke. I got the joke, ran with it and you questioned my getting the joke. 

I understood the assignment. 

• Like 4

Drake understood the satirical portrayal of Wisconsinites and Bostonians purposely misplacing each other's locations and misunderstanding each other's cultures. This is standard fare for rivalries, which are on display in Wisconsin bars all year long. Continuing and amplifying that satire in banter makes perfect sense, and was what I was hoping for from those I mentioned in my post. The response I got from Drake was delightful and completely in keeping with my decade old understanding of him.

Your response was also completely in keeping with my understanding of you.

28 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I understood the assignment. 

Yes, yes you did. Years ago, Mac spent a year in Boston, living in the Back Bay. During one of my trips out to visit, I got into an altercation with a Boston cop. It started innocently enough, with me gently accusing him of "talking funny".

"Oh yeah? Where are you from, California?"
"Oh hell no, Wisconsin."
"Wiscansin? Where's that?"

Things got so heated I had to offer him something from the Dunks behind us, to which he responded, "I need a cahfee, the bubbler's broken." I'd never heard that term outside SE Wisconsin. It turns out we actually have something in common, though we invented it and you stole it...

https://dailycollegian.com/2019/04/bubbler-versus-water-fountain/

Massholes, the lot of ya.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Drake understood the satirical portrayal of Wisconsinites and Bostonians purposely misplacing each other's locations and misunderstanding each other's cultures. This is standard fare for rivalries, which are on display in Wisconsin bars all year long. Continuing and amplifying that satire in banter makes perfect sense, and was what I was hoping for from those I mentioned in my post. The response I got from Drake was delightful and completely in keeping with my decade old understanding of him.

Yes, yes you did. Years ago, Mac spent a year in Boston, living in the Back Bay. During one of my trips out to visit, I got into an altercation with a Boston cop. It started innocently enough, with me gently accusing him of "talking funny".

"Oh hell no, Wisconsin."

Things got so heated I had to offer him something from the Dunks behind us, to which he responded, "I need a cahfee, the bubbler's broken." I'd never heard that term outside SE Wisconsin. It turns out we actually have something in common, though we invented it and you stole it...

A double bubble bubbler.

products-80732__76375.1526030521.jpg?c=2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

"Oh hell no, Wisconsin."

Allright ya cheese head.. I'm gonna have a bbq on my sim this weekend, you bring da cheese fah da burgahs, and i will supply the beah and cahfee. Pahk whereevah ya want. 

BTW, its spelled Wiscahnsin. Sheesh. 

Heah is a little Bahstin word dictionary fah yas ta read. Learn ya sumptin.

bahstin.thumb.jpg.4b26b003f5f01e2e4d22645306cfe9cb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm so happy I am not one of them. As a baby my body rejected any and all kinds of milk until my mom finally reached the end of her rope and gave me whole homogenized milk. I've been drinking it ever since without any issues. Over 60 years! 🥛

I suffer from hypocalcemia and there have been times in my life when I craved milk.  I'm so glad that I'm not lactose intolerant too. Milk always makes me feel good.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Allright ya cheese head.. I'm gonna have a bbq on my sim this weekend, you bring da cheese fah da burgahs, and i will supply the beah and cahfee. Pahk whereevah ya want. 

BTW, its spelled Wiscahnsin. Sheesh. 

Heah is a little Bahstin word dictionary fah yas ta read. Learn ya sumptin.

bahstin.thumb.jpg.4b26b003f5f01e2e4d22645306cfe9cb.jpg

And for those who don't know Bruins are bears and the name of a high school yearbook.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Does them being celebrities negate their opinions or minds? There are many many celbs that have masters degrees in various subjects. If Dolph tells me not to get a lit torch to close to a section of wall i will listen as he has a masters in chemical engineering. Just as many have degrees in sociology. Just because they are a celebrity doesnt mean they cant be right. 

There is a difference between being a celebrity who knows what they are talking about - Dolph, Brian Mays, Ken Jeong etc, and those who are simply just virtue signalling/bandwagon jumping/living in delusional hypocrisy whilst tweeting about how terrible white people are (eg Tessa Thompson tweeting about how she doesn't want to work with white people), how crime is just something you should just get used to (multi-millionaire Seth Rogen who can afford to replace his stolen cars) and how the police need to be defunded whilst sitting behind their mansion walls in safety whilst the rest of the world burns (Alyssa Milano - who then called the police on a kid shooting an air rifle)...and do we even need to get into the whole Jussie Smollett deal or that awful Markle woman preaching about compassion whilst trashing her family and the family she married into?

I stand on my hill....stick to acting.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:49 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

At the risk of being assassinated on any of my incredibly unpopular hills...

1.  Name calling is the lowest form of debate.  It equates to losing the argument in my books.

6.  Just because you have a difference of opinion, that doesn't mean you can't have respect for one another, you can't have love for one another, that you can't have incredible friendships with one another.  It's our differences that make us special - Gabriel Iglesias.

33 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

...that awful Markle woman preaching about compassion whilst trashing her family and the family she married into?

Some assassinations are self-inflicted.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

There is a difference between being a celebrity who knows what they are talking about - Dolph, Brian Mays, Ken Jeong etc, and those who are simply just virtue signalling/bandwagon jumping/living in delusional hypocrisy whilst tweeting about how terrible white people are (eg Tessa Thompson tweeting about how she doesn't want to work with white people), how crime is just something you should just get used to (multi-millionaire Seth Rogen who can afford to replace his stolen cars) and how the police need to be defunded whilst sitting behind their mansion walls in safety whilst the rest of the world burns (Alyssa Milano - who then called the police on a kid shooting an air rifle)...and do we even need to get into the whole Jussie Smollett deal or that awful Markle woman preaching about compassion whilst trashing her family and the family she married into?

By that logic, no one should voice their opinions. Just keep your head down like a good puppet to the government and do your job. 

Painting with a rather broad brush, aren't you? 

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Some assassinations are self-inflicted.

40 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

By that logic, no one should voice their opinions. Just keep your head down like a good puppet to the government and do your job. 

Painting with a rather broad brush, aren't you? 

My hills.  You have yours.

The issue, it seems to me, is not so much celebrities speaking their mind. They have every right to do so, after all, and they are, on the whole, no more poorly informed than anyone else who states an opinion.

I'd suggest that the real problems are 1) a media that amplifies their reach uncritically, and 2) a general public who uncritically think that an actor or musician or whatever whom they like or admire must of necessity therefore have something worthwhile and meaningful to say on a subject. Some do, some don't -- and how meaningful it is will often depend upon the subject matter.

And of course there are those who use their reach and fame to support causes that we are all likely to agree with. There are those who campaign against child abuse, or raise funds for cancer research, for instance. Where we draw the line will depend upon our own ideological assumptions. I heartily wish J. K. Rowling would STFU, personally. But her transphobia, although it's not going over so well generally, has made her a champion to many.

Mostly it comes down to buying whatever anyone is selling uncritically. I appreciate celebrities who interrogate and critique the establishment. And I hope that they appreciate that I am going to similarly interrogate and critique what they have to say about it.

And where they are spreading outright disinformation -- and not merely a "difference in opinion" -- they need to be called out on it.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

that awful Markle woman preaching about compassion whilst trashing her family and the family she married into?

What seems to me a bit problematic about this, Jordan, is that you aren't critiquing what she has said. I assume you're not against compassion?

Your judgment is instead a personal one: you don't like her. Fair enough, but that hardly invalidates an argument for compassion, does it?

I actually couldn't care less about Meghan Markle. But I support compassion.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.