What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I do love a dunkin .. but for me, that's about more than just the coffee, there are days when your life switches tracks and your whole future changes, dunkin got me though one of those, and over the years that followed, it's become a bit of a cornerstone. So it gets a pass whatever it's like.

During the heady days of my engineering career, my team and I fell into the habit of eating lunch at a local sandwich shop a couple times each week. The food was nothing special, but the owner behind the counter was possibly the most gregarious woman I've ever met.

I had a favorite sandwich, and within weeks of our first visit, Mama Stamas would start preparing it the moment she saw us pull into the parking lot. My guys would always have to wait an extra minute or two, simply because they ordered something different each time and Mama couldn't anticipate them.

I eventually got a little tired of eating the same sandwich. I ran from my car to the door one day, hoping to reach her before she'd finished contruction...

"Too late, Sweetie. It's done."

On the next visit, I pulled into the back of the parking lot and parked on the widow-less side of the building. I darted around the front, burst in the door and yelled..

"I don't want a turkey club!"

"I don't know how to make anything else for you. If you want something different, eat somewhere else."

Needless to say, I continued to eat turkey club sandwiches there, twice a week, until she closed up shop.

I don't really care much for turkey,  then or now. But there will never be anything as delicious as the turkey club sandwiches I was forced to eat against my will.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I just measure out two teaspoons of coffee, and check the water temperature by pouring it into a jug once the kettle boils and then using the kitchen thermometer.   My grinder is a very cheap generic one (though I do use it only for coffee).    That works well enough for me, though I'm sure greater precision would give even better results.

I'm curious as that seems like a lot of coffee for a cup. Do you use level teaspoons or heaping ones and what level of grind do you use, fine or extra fine grind? 

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm curious as that seems like a lot of coffee for a cup. Do you use level teaspoons or heaping ones and what level of grind do you use, fine or extra fine grind? 

Two level ones, and I use ready-ground coffee, sold in the supermarket as for french presses, but grind it a little bit finer -- nothing like as fine as I would for espresso -- using a cheap all-purpose grinder that's probably intended for spices, but I use it only for coffee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I understand the depth of your emotion. Many years ago -- too many -- I used to start the day with a stop at Dunkin Donut on the way to work. It was for a donut, primarily, but you can't eat a donut without a decent cup of coffee too.  They were more than a staple; they were the cornerstone of my morning. Sadly, Dunkin has fallen on hard times over the past decade, at least in this part of the country.  The closest shop is 45 miles away, now that nearby ones have closed, and they have largely given up donuts.  They even removed Donut from the company's name. (An entrepreneur tried starting a Krispy Kreme franchise here but it went belly-up in less than 6 months.  Horrible donuts.  That's a different story.)  Anyway, there's no way I am going to drive 45 miles for a cup of coffee, no matter how good and especially without a donut.  My local coffee shop offers superb, fresh-ground coffee and a passable scone.  I think my Dunkin days are history.

I am so sorry this happened to you.. As a native Bostonian I get the shakes if there isn't a Dunks within eyesight at all times..

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

but the owner behind the counter was possibly the most gregarious woman I've ever met.

MADDY!!!! You cant say that about someone! This is the forums, you cant use that kind of language here! 

What does gregarious mean?
  • Like 2

Had tonsils removed as a child. Complications caused major haemorrhaging, two weeks in hospital.
Upon recovering enough.....
Ate the hospital canteen out of ice-cream, (we were poor and never had any ice-cream).
Went to stay at Nannas to recover, ❤️ (r.i.p beautiful Jeannie), and ate 98 pancakes in one week. 😂
I'm with Trinity. 8^)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

@Drake1 Nightfire, @Coffee Pancake, @Rolig LoonHello from Wisconsin to my Dunkin' lovin' friends, pahticulahly the Bostonians...

Only a freaking tourist would go ta cheeahs... Did he flippin mention Babe Freakin Ruth?!?!?!? Was he lookin fer a fight or sumptin? Fricking Canadians...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Only a freaking tourist would go ta cheeahs... Did he flippin mention Babe Freakin Ruth?!?!?!? Was he lookin fer a fight or sumptin? Fricking Canadians...

Eh? Where do Canadians come into this?? The guy said he is from Wisconsin, not Winnipeg. You do know Wisconsin is in the US right?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Solo Alpha said:

So not using it as a daily driver, so no business to be near my hill peashooting at me.

This right here is a pet peeve, faux purist foss masochism.

More Linux in my home running 24/7 than you can shake your tainted kernel at, been running it pretty much since distros came on floppy disks in a box with a manual. Deployed and managed more servers than I care to remember, built businesses around it, hired staff explicitly for it, donated money to projects we depended on.

But not on my desktop because nvidia propriety drivers and X is a sub par experience (and that's being kind), and I need to do work on my computer , not waste time working on my computer.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This right here is a pet peeve, faux purist foss masochism.

More Linux in my home running 24/7 than you can shake your tainted kernel at, been running it pretty much since distros came on floppy disks in a box with a manual. Deployed and managed more servers than I care to remember, built businesses around it, hired staff explicitly for it, donated money to projects we depended on.

But not on my desktop because nvidia propriety drivers and X is a sub par experience (and that's being kind), and I need to do work on my computer , not waste time working on my computer.

You are just green with envy for others getting more out of their system than you are able to. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.