What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

People who say YES this have never owned a kitten.

We had a cat once who woul dreach under the roll to pull on the toilet paper even when it was hung so the paper rolls off against the wall, Even if you made sure the paper didnt hang down, she could spin it and get enough hanging down to unroll it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

People who say YES this have never owned a kitten.

As someone who wasn't allowed to live with one (dad has allergies growing up & landlord forbidding pets) I forget cats can be mischievous sometimes. Those who only owned KittyCats wouldn't understand.

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

/me basks in the thought of being a posh type.  I just knew I'd make it some day.  ;)

Possibly your taste buds haven't been burnt out after decades of drinking the swill from mobile canteens that frequented industrial and construction sites in bygone eras. In comparison to what was available from them, McDonalds is a connoisseur coffee!

foodtruck1.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Possibly your taste buds haven't been burnt out after decades of drinking the swill from mobile canteens that frequented industrial and construction sites in bygone eras. In comparison to what was available from them, McDonalds is a connoisseur coffee!

I agree,  No contest there. Actually, I don't think I have ever had McDonald's coffee, because I can't recall the last time I went into a McDonald's except to use the rest room when I was on a long drive.  But I imagine that it's more or less like Tim Horton's and Dunkin's, both of which aren't bad.  My basic quarrel with them is that their coffees are often rather watery,  but at least they are not burnt, like (gasp) Starbucks.  I'm way too posh to accept Starbucks.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

foodtruck1.jpg

The Canteen truck that came to my dads shop always had really good coffee. 

37 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I agree,  No contest there. Actually, I don't think I have ever had McDonald's coffee, because I can't recall the last time I went into a McDonald's except to use the rest room when I was on a long drive.  But I imagine that it's more or less like Tim Horton's and Dunkin's, both of which aren't bad.  My basic quarrel with them is that their coffees are often rather watery,  but at least they are not burnt, like (gasp) Starbucks.  I'm way too posh to accept Starbucks.

Don't you dare compare Dunks coffee to the swill McDonalds sells. That is a hill i will gladly die on. I worked in McD's for several years. Horrible burnt crap, mainly because the elderly customers that came in over and over all day to get a "free refill" didn't care. Best scam going, buy a small coffee for 50 cents in the morning and get refills all day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is the closest anyone has ever got to interesting me in coffee.

Try convincing your dog(s) a frisbee is a human toy, not a dog toy. Go on. I dare you. You'll never convince me. Or the dog. I mean dog!

...sets your coffee beans on fire

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm not posh but even I won't drink that rotgut from Starbucks. Nasty.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is the closest anyone has ever got to interesting me in coffee.

Possibly because the device was invented by an engineer

https://perfectdailygrind.com/2016/08/interview-how-did-alan-adler-invent-the-aeropress/

He also recommends paying attention to the temperature at which you brew the coffee -- about 185 F or 85 C.    I was initially sceptical, but I've experimented with different temperatures and it really does make a difference.   Shouldn't be surprised, I guess, since it is a chemical reaction.

(The Aerobie was the other thing he invented, not the Frisbee, sorry).

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm way too posh to accept Starbucks.

I've never had Starbucks coffee, primarily because if I want coffee from a franchise, I know I like Caffè Nero and they're cheaper than Starbucks.

• Like 2

I do love a dunkin .. but for me, that's about more than just the coffee, there are days when your life switches tracks and your whole future changes, dunkin got me though one of those, and over the years that followed, it's become a bit of a cornerstone. So it gets a pass whatever it's like.

Starbucks depends entirely on the barista, it's far from being as universal as the brand hopes for. People will travel to the one they like. Although my personal favorite is a bit out of reach (Frankfurt, Germany .. they just consistently nailed it).

Nero is good, but again, the barista makes or breaks it. Had some good cups and some really terrible ones.

McDonalds is just blistering hot generic wet, it's a means to an ends, nothing more.

I prefer to go with small independent coffee shops when I can, and don't be too hasty to knock street or station vendors, they can be exceptionally good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Possibly because the device was invented by an engineer

https://perfectdailygrind.com/2016/08/interview-how-did-alan-adler-invent-the-aeropress/

He also recommends paying attention to the temperature at which you brew the coffee -- about 185 F or 85 C.    I was initially sceptical, but I've experimented with different temperatures and it really does make a difference.   Shouldn't be surprised, I guess, since it is a chemical reaction.

Aero press works best when coupled with a set of scales, a temperature controlled kettle, good grinder and a notebook.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The Canteen truck that came to my dads shop always had really good coffee. 

Don't you dare compare Dunks coffee to the swill McDonalds sells. That is a hill i will gladly die on. I worked in McD's for several years. Horrible burnt crap, mainly because the elderly customers that came in over and over all day to get a "free refill" didn't care. Best scam going, buy a small coffee for 50 cents in the morning and get refills all day. 

The problem with a lot of the canteen trucks was that they would fill up on their coffee first thing in the morning and that would hold them all day. Some of the independents started to make their coffee during the day before each major break and that would do a lot for fresher coffee but even so, maintaining a good temperature was always a challenge. 

I don't know about Dunks coffee as we don't have any of those up here but McDonald's in Canada at least started to compete with the Tim Hortons about 10 years ago and to do so changed all their equipment over to a much better system wherein they regulated the temperature they made it at and then held it in insulated tanks instead of glass pots on electric elements, which burn the coffee within 20 minutes. McDonald's didn't completely overtake Tim Hortons for the early morning coffee crowd but they did put a significant dent in their sales, though both still have large lineups first thing in the morning for their drive-throughs.

Though either is good, my personal preference is still for McDonald's.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

... and don't be too hasty to knock street or station vendors, they can be exceptionally good.

In the province where I live there is a chef that normally runs a Michelin star restaurant, but due to the Corona lockdown we experience at the moment, all restaurants are closed.
Only take away and delivery are allowed.
So at the moment he has opened a food truck, to keep himself busy. 
I bet you will get a great coffee there.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Aero press works best when coupled with a set of scales, a temperature controlled kettle, good grinder and a notebook.

I just measure out two teaspoons of coffee, and check the water temperature by pouring it into a jug once the kettle boils and then using the kitchen thermometer.   My grinder is a very cheap generic one (though I do use it only for coffee).    That works well enough for me, though I'm sure greater precision would give even better results.

• Like 1

Side note: If you ever visit the Netherlands, if you want a coffee go to a café or a Starbucks etc. and not to a coffee shop.
The moment you open the front door of a coffee shop you will smell why.
They provide other stuff. If you only order a coffee they will look very surprised behind the counter.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

And here I am getting by with my fussy old Keurig and Folgers Colombian dark roast pods.....judge me if you must. 

Nothing wrong with the Keurig as it is designed to heat the water to 192 degrees F so that it hits the coffee at approximately 190° which is about perfect. Some of the newer ones even have an adjustable temperature control.

Folgers coffee is considered a more budget brand but that is as a result of the quality control rather than the bean they use or the roasting process and grinding. On a canteen truck route I used to have, one of the stops was a company that did the roasting, grinding and packaging for different brand name coffees. According to them the same Colombian beans for example, would be used for all the different brands with the only variance being slight differences in roasting temperatures and the ultimate quality control wherein for something like Folgers, there was a greater allowable variance for over and under roasting of the beans. Since the roasting procedure was quite automated, it was rare for them not to be within their defined limits. So in effect one could buy Folgers for half the price of a quality brand and yet be getting pretty much the same coffee.

• Like 2

I do love a dunkin .. but for me, that's about more than just the coffee, there are days when your life switches tracks and your whole future changes, dunkin got me though one of those, and over the years that followed, it's become a bit of a cornerstone. So it gets a pass whatever it's like.

I understand the depth of your emotion. Many years ago -- too many -- I used to start the day with a stop at Dunkin Donut on the way to work. It was for a donut, primarily, but you can't eat a donut without a decent cup of coffee too.  They were more than a staple; they were the cornerstone of my morning. Sadly, Dunkin has fallen on hard times over the past decade, at least in this part of the country.  The closest shop is 45 miles away, now that nearby ones have closed, and they have largely given up donuts.  They even removed Donut from the company's name. (An entrepreneur tried starting a Krispy Kreme franchise here but it went belly-up in less than 6 months.  Horrible donuts.  That's a different story.)  Anyway, there's no way I am going to drive 45 miles for a cup of coffee, no matter how good and especially without a donut.  My local coffee shop offers superb, fresh-ground coffee and a passable scone.  I think my Dunkin days are history.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I never go out for a coffee. Not even to the nearest café (a few hundred meters away). For a nice cold beer I will at times.
Only when I go out for something else, like shopping, a city trip or a vacation, I don't drink own brewed coffee.
I like to be in control when it comes to coffee.  😆

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

I would need a cup of coffee or two before I could do all that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.