What's a hill you are willing to die on?

CaithLynnSayes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

You are not wrong thinking how you think, and I am not saying that. I just can't do it myself, and I am probably a weirdo for being like that. Lol

I don't think we're in profound disagreement here, Sammy. How someone looks is just one of dozens (or more) ways in which I "read" someone -- and definitely NOT the most important.

I'm really just arguing that we do in practice judge books by their covers. I mean, literally as well as figuratively: reading a novel on a eBook reader, in paperback, hardcover, or in a finely tooled calfskin binding are all very different experiences. They don't change the words within, but they change how we approach them.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

4 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

The chocolate that Hersheys makes does not even come close to a Lindt Truffle.  Lindt are magnificent, melt at body temperature, and are so smooth they feel like sweet silk in your mouth.  They also come in a multitude of flavors.  There is no comparing the two brands.  I just got to try the a pistachio and a hazelnut at Christmas.  MMMMMMmmmmMMMM

Being Aussie I used to be Cadburys all the way OiOiOi~! 
But they changed the recipe.
They never asked Aussies if they wanted the recipe changed. 😖
So for that and a couple of other reasons I only buy Lindt ❤️ chocolate now.
its quite common to see Cadbury blocks peeps have broken and put back on the shelf lol.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Being Aussie I used to be Cadburys all the way OiOiOi~! 
But they changed the recipe.
They never asked Aussies if they wanted the recipe changed. 😖
So for that and a couple of other reasons I only buy Lindt ❤️ chocolate now.
its quite common to see Cadbury blocks peeps have broken and put back on the shelf lol.

US Cadburys and the real stuff imported from the UK are different too .. I don't mind the US stuff in a pinch, but yes .. If there is Lindt it's not really something to worry about :)

I am annoyed the bells that used to be on the ribbons have been cost optimized away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't think we're in profound disagreement here, Sammy. How someone looks is just one of dozens (or more) ways in which I "read" someone -- and definitely NOT the most important.

I'm really just arguing that we do in practice judge books by their covers. I mean, literally as well as figuratively: reading a novel on a eBook reader, in paperback, hardcover, or in a finely tooled calfskin binding are all very different experiences. They don't change the words within, but they change how we approach them.

Everyone's first initial impression of someone in SL is usually to look at them.  Kind of understandable.  My first impression when someone messages me is to.open their profile and give it a quick read.  Sometimes, I'm pleasantly surprised and they have an intriguing, insightful, funny profile.  The conversation is usually quite pleasant regardless of how they look which is NOT the first thing I do.

Now, on the flip side is when I get that IM, open the profile, see no picture or one from 10 years ago, nothing written anywhere, a long list of sex groups and every pick is from a sex place, many no long open.  Before even responding, I look.   Is he wearing the same outfit from the picture 10 years ago, using the same avatar/skin?   Those people I DO judge and don't respond to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I was bullied as a kid about how I acted and how I looked. I was different from the other students. And I didn't like that. So I am sure as heck not wanting to do that to others. If I didn't like it, they sure as heck wouldn't like it.

I have two daughters, one is 2 years older than the other. The eldest was my wifes child, she dressed her and spent more time with her mainly because i worked two jobs. When my second child was brewing, I got a very very good paying job and was able to be home more in the mornings and evenings, I worked from 9-6.

My youngest always came to me to ask if what she was wearing to school was ok. In my mind, as long as it was weather/temperature appropriate, she was good to go. Stripes and camo? All good. Stripes and polka dots? Good. Rainbow toile skirt with striped leggings and a sequined shirt with a unicorn on it, two different rainboots and a clear umbrella with fish? Good to go my girl. 

Other parents used to come to me at pick up time and ask what i was thinking in letting her leave the house like that.

I asked "Does she look happy?"
"Yes"
"Does your kid look as happy?"
"No."
End of discussion. 

As someone who is usually not human, i dont really care what you wear in SL. Its not like thats what you are wearing in RL, nor am i meeting you in RL. You be you, boo. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Other parents used to come to me at pick up time and ask what i was thinking in letting her leave the house like that.

"Yes"
"No."
End of discussion. 

That's pretty great. You sound like a cool dad.

You've got a very lucky daughter. And I'm sure she knows that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Sadly I don't know what a Hershey's Kiss is, but it sounds amazing.

I like my coffee black or sometimes entirely full-fat milk, and will chuck in half a dozen Cadbury's mini eggs and scoop them out with a spoon just as they're at their melting point. Warm melted chocolate within a crackled sugar shell. MmmmmmmMMMMmmm. 

Each one is a kiss of chocolate.

2020JUN12_SeasonalVIS_HOL_Hersheys_Kisse

Hersheys-Kiss-Cookies-12.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have two daughters, one is 2 years older than the other. The eldest was my wifes child, she dressed her and spent more time with her mainly because i worked two jobs. When my second child was brewing, I got a very very good paying job and was able to be home more in the mornings and evenings, I worked from 9-6.

My youngest always came to me to ask if what she was wearing to school was ok. In my mind, as long as it was weather/temperature appropriate, she was good to go. Stripes and camo? All good. Stripes and polka dots? Good. Rainbow toile skirt with striped leggings and a sequined shirt with a unicorn on it, two different rainboots and a clear umbrella with fish? Good to go my girl. 

"Yes"
"No."
End of discussion. 

As someone who is usually not human, i dont really care what you wear in SL. Its not like thats what you are wearing in RL, nor am i meeting you in RL. You be you, boo. 

May she grow up to be the next Cyndi Lauper.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And I also have to find a coffee that is not only something I like, but that my husband also likes.  That is really the hard part, as he prefers a darker roast and I prefer more of a medium roast. 

Sometimes I think we really should get an espresso machine or a french press so that we can each have what we want.  For now, we compromise by buying beans for each of us and rotating on the pot of coffee -- or sometimes mixing the two together to get something in the middle.

Now I know where I am going to send all these extra brewers we have sitting around collecting dust even though there is nothing wrong with them other than he just had to go out and buy new ones when we don't have anywhere to put the things we already have. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Listen, us poor folk have to make do with the chocolate we can afford. You and your fancy Lindts and Champagne chocolate... 

Before the Rona killed things off, i worked in Boston 3 doors down from a Lindt store. Dear gods that stuff was amazing, and so much cheaper than buying it elsewhere. Stupid covid messing up getting good chocolate for mah missus. 

And then there are us poor folks that live in the boondocks where they don't build such things as Lindt stores. 💔

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

And then there are us poor folks that live in the boondocks where they don't build such things as Lindt stores. 💔

Living in the sticks is limiting sometimes.  I usually order mine, but occasionally a bag or two will randomly appear at the small local grocers.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I totally take your point.

I know you do, though there's more to this than the economics.

I can taste the difference between good chocolate and "what they call chocolate". But, as with my love of root beer or fire, it's not about the thing, it's about stories recalled or anticipated.

If ignorance is bliss, playing the philistine might be my best shot.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2022 at 9:31 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

And I also have to find a coffee that is not only something I like, but that my husband also likes.  That is really the hard part, as he prefers a darker roast and I prefer more of a medium roast. 

Sometimes I think we really should get an espresso machine or a french press so that we can each have what we want.  For now, we compromise by buying beans for each of us and rotating on the pot of coffee -- or sometimes mixing the two together to get something in the middle.

I like coffee from a french press, but I can really recommend Aeropress coffee makers (designed by the same guy who invented the Frisbee).   They're very good for making just one cup, need less time to stand than french presses, and make better coffee, too, to my mind.    I buy ready-ground Peruvian or Mexican coffee from my local supermarket (ground for filters or french press) and grind it a little finer, but not much, and it's absolutely delicious.   And far cheaper than buying a machine of any sort! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

People who say YES this have never owned a kitten.

None of my cats or kittens have ever shredded the toilet roll.  However, if they were so inclined, they could do it just as easily whichever way the roll was going.  Except for that last example - then they'd knock it off and roll it across the entire house.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is the closest anyone has ever got to interesting me in coffee.

Ignore her. I do.

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I like coffee from a french press, but I can really recommend Aeropress coffee makers (designed by the same guy who invented the Frisbee).   They're very good for making just one cup, need less time to stand than french presses, and make better coffee, too, to my mind.    I buy ready-ground Peruvian or Mexican coffee from my local supermarket (ground for filters or french press) and grind it a little finer, but not much, and it's absolutely delicious.   And far cheaper than buying a machine of any sort! 

That sounds kind of interesting. I used to use a French press, but I'm now using a 6-cup stove top espresso maker, the coffee from which I drink either as espresso in lattes and cappuccinos, or Americanos. I mostly grind my own coffee: I picked up a really nice machine that grinds properly in small amounts rather than using blades. I used to drink mostly Illy or LavAzza, but now generally go with a Canadian coffee (now partly owned by LavAzza) called Kicking Horse. They're considered Canadian leaders in organic and free trade coffees.

Yes, I'm a coffee nerd.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.