Dramatic increase in double-click-teleport accidents

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. A friend of mine and I both noticed we were suddenly teleporting by accident by double-clicking way more often than usual. Usually, your muscle memory knows how frequent is frequent enough to not trigger a teleport, but it was a startling change one day, a few weeks ago. And it happened subsequently in at least two different sims (only 2-3 agents present on average, a low-prim/mesh sky platform, Sim FPS 45.0, Physics FPS 45.0, we're on two different continents). It's been intermittently persistent throughout these weeks now. Some days it's ok, some day's it's bad. It's particularly annoying when shift-clicking to select/deselect objects in Edit.

Anyone else experienced an increase in double-click-teleport accidents lately? Any idea what causes it?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Hi. A friend of mine and I both noticed we were suddenly teleporting by accident by double-clicking way more often than usual. Usually, your muscle memory knows how frequent is frequent enough to not trigger a teleport, but it was a startling change one day, a few weeks ago. And it happened subsequently in at least two different sims (only 2-3 agents present on average, a low-prim/mesh sky platform, Sim FPS 45.0, Physics FPS 45.0, we're on two different continents). It's been intermittently persistent throughout these weeks now. Some days it's ok, some day's it's bad. It's particularly annoying when shift-clicking to select/deselect objects in Edit.

Anyone else experienced an increase in double-click-teleport accidents lately? Any idea what causes it?

I haven't noticed any changes.  I typically only end up with accidental double-click TPs when I'm in a laggy region -- or even when the area itself isn't super laggy, but I'm trying to touch an object that is super slow to respond.  Then my multiple touches will sometimes be interpreted as a double-click.

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

There is a current bug (and JIRA) in Firestorm. I noticed at the very beginning of October. Definitely problematic when building.  Random teleports when you weren't trying etc.  Camming and then touching sets it off also.  So hopefully it will get fixed in the next release.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

On 11/3/2021 at 3:48 AM, panterapolnocy said:

Please take a look here: https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-31073 and here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-230983 / https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer/commits/84a0ae682ab18f0366528d7d6d449ab95a1fb3f9 - the issue is with not ignoring modifier keys, be it single or double click. Viewer version you are using does not seem to have this patch yet.

2 hours ago, Echelon Alcott said:

Would it be acceptable for you to disable teleport on double-click on your viewer?

No. It's too much of a hassle to switch back and forth between enabling and disabling it.

2 hours ago, Echelon Alcott said:

If not, does your mouse offer the ability to configure how sensitive it is to register a double-click event?

I've now set double-click to fastest and I can still perform a legit double-click with my usual double-click finger speed.

159e6346c0514fc65fd26c1a9d650640.png.50d6e80aabddbfa0151d27402b27744b.png

Fingers crossed. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Have you tried resetting the pref? Deactivate, relog, reactivate, relog. Then see how it goes. If it clears up and you are on FS back up your settings so that when things go wonky with them you can restore from the backup.

You could also try deactivating the single click on land if it's active (above double click).

image.png.19782f14f42f996b25e2ae8581825afa.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

No. It's too much of a hassle to switch back and forth between enabling and disabling it.

I've now set double-click to fastest and I can still perform a legit double-click with my usual double-click finger speed.

159e6346c0514fc65fd26c1a9d650640.png.50d6e80aabddbfa0151d27402b27744b.png

Fingers crossed. Thanks.

I did that once. Turned out the real issue was my wireless mouse's plugin was on the back of the tower when it should have been on the front so it wasn't getting a clear signal at all times. Increasing the double click speed on the mouse just ended up making it worse over time. 

Of course, YMMV.

Oh and this is the mouse I use on all my computers and laptops.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/m325-wireless-mouse.910-002651.html

And yes mine are always purple. lol It goes really well with the blue to green to purple lighting in the tower and on my keyboard. 😁

I still have the original mouse I bought about 10 years ago and it still works just fine.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There is a current bug (and JIRA) in Firestorm. I noticed at the very beginning of October. Definitely problematic when building.  Random teleports when you weren't trying etc.  Camming and then touching sets it off also.  So hopefully it will get fixed in the next release.  

I wish I could chalk my issue with it up to an FS bug but I know most of the time it's me doing it by double clicking without meaning to. My brain is always miles ahead of my fingers so if I am thinking ahead about moving to a different location, or not really concentrating on what I am doing, I'll end up porting myself because the body is on autopilot so to speak. Or maybe it's my brain that's on autopilot. Same results either way. lol

Could be a worn mouse? I know the springs in them only have a finite lifespan. That lifespan determined by the quality of the mouse. I've had this issue before with a mouse I prefer because it's the right size for my hands. Every now and then I have to replace it because it's a relative cheapo compared to other similar mouses.

42 minutes ago, Finite said:

Could be a worn mouse? I know the springs in them only have a finite lifespan.

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:
5 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

You're absolutely sure that your mouse button isn't simply worn out?

No, but it'd be an awfully big coincidence if my friend's was too, at the same time.

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Its a known super annoying bug that LL refuses to patch up. Every viewer has it and will not be fixed until LL gets around to it which will probably be never. I can't cuddle with my girl and terraform at the same time because of it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You mean all this time I thought it was just me but it's a bug? 😲 You sure it isn't expected behavior or a new feature? 🤭

• Haha 1

I assumed this was a bug because a few weeks ago, I noticed that I was teleporting while terraforming.... it is common in terraforming to click multiple times. Never  before did this cause a teleport but one day it did. My counter-measure was to go into Firestorm perferences and change the teleport key sequence to SHIFT double left click. Even when they fix the bug I am going to leave it this way to prevent accidents in the future. I travel by boat and plane often an accidental teleports are disasterous :)

17 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

there is no such system "your muscle memory knows how frequent is frequent enough to not trigger a teleport" it's either on or off setting, there is no built in system timing every single SL players clicking times.

I turned double click teleports off and then set in Preferences\Controls menu the Teleport hotkey to Ctrl+Double LMB.

I can still double click tp on world map and minimap.. The addition of the ctrl key to combo for teleporting stops accidentally triggering it, but with ctrl key you retain the functionality. 

Edited by Aethelwine

16 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

I can't cuddle with my girl and terraform at the same time because of it.

You shouldn't be doing that anyway. Multitasking like that is extremely annoying to your cuddle partner.

She is undoubtedly thinking, "Pay attention to MEEEEEEE!"

18 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I don't see it being fixed this year either, sadly.

I really hope you're wrong, that bug is getting rather annoying.

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet, is that when the bug hits, you're not teleported to the location where you click but to some random point elsewhere in the sim. If you're working on a small object and your avatar and camera position suddenly jumps a hundred meters, it can take wuite some time just to find the object again.

Edit:

19 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Oh, I didn't look closely at that link before I posted. I got the impression from other posts that it was a Firestorm only bug so it should be easy to fix. But if it's from the official viewer, it's gonna take a few years. :(

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.