Why Did It Take So Long to Accept the Facts About Covid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, Luna Bliss said:

On rare occasions you have referenced a peer-reviewed study, but I said a study needs rigorous testing to be considered more credible, and this goes beyond an initial peer-review.
I have no narrative other than believing the scientific method is the best way we have to sort out medical truths.
If I ridicule the studies you bring to the table it is because they are not accepted science -- they haven't gone through the rigorous testing needed to be considered such. The far-right-wing rags you like to grab studies from don't understand this, and neither do you.

The way I see it is that there are two predominant things we need to know about any new potential drug. One is its safety and the other is its effectiveness. For a repurposed drug like Ivermectin the safety was already known as it has been used for 30 years and even won the Noble peace prize in 2015 for its safety profile. Very few drugs on the market that have such a low rate of adverse events or deaths. Billions of doses and only 2 deaths which were as a result of an extremely rare genetic disorder. And yet it is very effective as a broad range anti-parasitic as well as anti-viral and bacterial agent with multitudes of studies over the years done even before this pandemic.  https://www.nature.com/articles/ja201711 Plenty more studies since too specifically for Covid, a list of which I already have linked multiple times. Quite a few of which were peer reviewed.

What I have not seen from you is a list of the studies for the vaccines you are constantly touting. Were any done by an independent group or do we only have the words of the pharma manufacturers to rely on? It has been said that with the amount of deaths and adverse events already from these experimental vaccines, the FDA would normally have been scrambling to pull them out of circulation but other than questioning J&J and Astra, that doesn't seem to be happening. The safety of these vaccines is definitely marginal and the effectiveness for mid and long term as yet unknown. Yet, that doesn't seem to bother you but you do cry wolf on something like Ivermectin which has plenty of long term studies showing its safety and effectiveness.

You imagine all of mainstream science is "the left"  (you only need to scroll up for evidence of this where you labeled those who initially believed Covid was less likely to be spread via airborne particles vs droplets as "the left"), and yet you accuse ME of politicization?

You are the one constantly bringing in the political slants to these threads. You are the one pointing out alternative views are from "right wing rags" as if to say all left wing rags follow the mainstream so you are going to have to own that yourself.

Going on the slim chance that you really do want to understand science and that you're not entirely a born-again de-wormer drinker who is only concerned with proving your religion at any cost, here is an article describing what science is, opening at the peer-review process section:

Debating with you on any topic requires reading up on political science as it is the only type of science you seem to ever argue. So maybe you ought to read that link yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

The way I see it is that there are two predominant things we need to know about any new potential drug. One is its safety and the other is its effectiveness. For a repurposed drug like Ivermectin the safety was already known as it has been used for 30 years and even won the Noble peace prize in 2015 for its safety profile. Very few drugs on the market that have such a low rate of adverse events or deaths. Billions of doses and only 2 deaths which were as a result of an extremely rare genetic disorder. And yet it is very effective as a broad range anti-parasitic as well as anti-viral and bacterial agent with multitudes of studies over the years done even before this pandemic.  https://www.nature.com/articles/ja201711 Plenty more studies since too specifically for Covid, a list of which I already have linked multiple times. Quite a few of which were peer reviewed.

What I have not seen from you is a list of the studies for the vaccines you are constantly touting. Were any done by an independent group or do we only have the words of the pharma manufacturers to rely on? It has been said that with the amount of deaths and adverse events already from these experimental vaccines, the FDA would normally have been scrambling to pull them out of circulation but other than questioning J&J and Astra, that doesn't seem to be happening. The safety of these vaccines is definitely marginal and the effectiveness for mid and long term as yet unknown. Yet, that doesn't seem to bother you but you do cry wolf on something like Ivermectin which has plenty of long term studies showing its safety and effectiveness.

Vaccines vs Ivermectin?  Apples to oranges comparison. Please take a course in logic where they teach you not to make simple comparisons but instead to include all the variables one needs to consider when evaluating most anything. Tamping down emotions is part of the training.

If you didn't think all of mainstream science was some sort of plot to take over the world and limit your freedom, and that your Ivermectin is some sort of savior in opposition to the danger, perhaps you'd be less likely to make such errors in logic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt regarding emotional influence, because with the other alternative there's much less hope for clear thinking.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

You are the one constantly bringing in the political slants to these threads. You are the one pointing out alternative views are from "right wing rags" as if to say all left wing rags follow the mainstream so you are going to have to own that yourself.

As I've said before, I don't base my evaluation on any 'left-wing rag' but instead go to the science websites. Extremist websites (whether 'left' or 'right') can slant issues due to political influence, and that's why I avoid them in a final analysis.

So, again, if you don't want erroneous information don't seek it from 'right-wing rags' but instead go straight to the science websites.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:51 PM, Drayke Newall said:

Um.... are you sure about what you have said?

*Snips out the irrelevant information.*

I'm a 110% sure mate. Trump dragged his ass 4 months or better at the very least before any of that ever happened. People we're already dying. And one correction I will point out for you though. The U.S. didn't close boarders with Canada. Canada closed boarders with everyone else. They were the smarts ones mate. lol😎

7 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

I'm a 110% sure mate. Trump dragged his ass 4 months or better at the very least before any of that ever happened. People we're already dying. And one correction I will point out for you though. The U.S. didn't close boarders with Canada. Canada closed boarders with everyone else. They were the smarts ones mate. lol😎

LOL ok whatever... What a ridiculous and non factual statement. To even go as far as suggesting the border closure dates I posted was "irrelevant information" because it showed that closures happened and happened early - against what you were arguing.

Early March is only two and a half months since covid was known about and borders started to close. Also, if the US government dragged its feet (before any of those border closures I mentioned took place) for 4 months (wasn't this long I even provided the dates) then so did every country in the world, including those that had very few cases due to getting on top of it or those that had people already dying.

Take Italy for example, by the time they closed their borders they had 9000 cases and 631 deaths. When did Italy close their borders? 11 March 2020. THE SAME DAY USA announced closed borders to near every country on earth and when the USA had only 25 deaths.

Good grief. It caught everyone by surprise at how quick and deadly it was. To say one specific country (the USA), that acted within the same timeframes and quickness as every other country to close borders (which your initial post was about) dragged their feet for 4 months is absurd.

As to the Canada and US border, it was closed by mutual agreement meaning you are once again wrong in facts. So no it wasn't Canada alone that closed the border but both countries in agreement. The reason in my post I said that the US closed it was, because we were talking about USA not Canada.  Trudeau: Canada-U.S. border to close to nonessential travel on Friday night - POLITICO and US closes Canada border to 'non-essential' travel as $100 billion COVID-19 relief bill passes congress (sbs.com.au)

Trudeau said the two governments “are continuing to work on the fine-tuning of the agreement between Canada and the United States,” but said it’s close to being finalized.

Trudeau and President Donald Trump both announced Wednesday morning they were working on a mutual agreement to close the border to tourism and recreational travel.

I suggest you start reading more widely away from bias sources, because clearly you dont know what you are talking about.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, Drayke Newall said:

I suggest you start reading more widely away from bias sources, because clearly you dont know what you are talking about.

I was thinking the same about you mate because the reason I say the information you posted is irrelevant is because we were well aware of Covid months before that. I suggest you take your own advice and read up on it. The information is there on Google. If you don't want to read there are news clips on Youtube of President Trumper Dumper calling it a hoax and fake news. He did this for roughly 4 months or so. How you think we responded in a timely manner amazes me and it either proves you did not pay attention when the poop was hitting the fan or research all the facts or your just flat out lying to yourself. You couldn't have been living under a rock when this all happened. You seem like a smart person. I hope anyway. lol 🤦‍♂️

And as for Canada stop reading the BS articles mate. Of course they are going to say it was a mutual agreement because the U.S. is trying to save face and not look like the idiots our Present made us out to be. Make no mistake there was no choice in the matter. Canada said you are not coming in here. Period. End of story. lol So believe what you want mate. lol I get it. You wanna defend the U.S.. I been there. Done that too, but it doesn't change the facts mate. lol And for the record your comment about the U.S. only having 25 deaths by the time we closed boarders is straight out BS. I'm sorry. You can not seriously believe that. Our President screwed the pooch and he screwed it hard. And people died for it. Bottom line. End of discussion.🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, Denny Farlight said:

fun fact, noone knows yet either if the vaccines stop the virus from spreading. with other words, a vaccinated person could have it, gets only a soft cold, infects a non-vaccinated person which then maybe dies ^_^.

Fun fact, you're wrong, it's known. The way vaccines work is that if you do acquire the illness vaccinated against, your bodies immune system quickly gets rid of it. So you don't build up the huge reservoir of germs that lets them spread like wildfire. Lower amounts for a shorter duration. So, someone vaccinated, that acquires the virus, is less likely to spread it to someone that's unvaccinated, by huge amounts. There's less of it in the air around them, even if infected.

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduce-transmission-how-does-work

Of course it's common courtesy and a civic duty to still mask up until the herd immunity threshold is crossed.

After that, refusing to get immunized is a survival trait fail.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

I was thinking the same about you mate because the reason I say the information you posted is irrelevant is because we were well aware of Covid months before that. I suggest...

Snipped for length reduction

Where did I even talk about Trump in my posts? I was talking about the US Government which is not Trump contrary to popular belief. I have already posted all of the dates showing the border closures that happened in the USA of which date from late January to early March. Within acceptable time periods of the start of the virus and following the same time periods of other countries.

You say that the world was well aware of COVID months before the closures happened. I would like to see your evidence for that.

The first the world knew about the virus was on 3rd January when china announced it to the US Government. That means from this date to the first border closure on the 30th January with China not even a month had past, yet you claim it was known months before.

On the 14th January, the WHO (of which advises governments on how to handle world pandemics) were still spouting Chinese propaganda that there was no evidence of person to person transmission. This means that according to them there was no cause for alarm because it cant transmit and therefore no need to close borders.

20th January first case reported in USA. This then snowballed in every country the same way it did in the USA until on 18 March many countries around the world had their borders closed by +/- a few days of each other. So if the USA was slow to close borders then as I mentioned before every other country was as well, I mean some like England didn't even close their borders until well after that.

And as for Canada stop reading the BS articles mate... Snipped for length reduction

And for the record your comment about the U.S. only having 25 deaths by the time we closed boarders is straight out BS... Snipped for length reduction

Firstly I dont give two hoots about the USA and why would I defend a country that I dont live in? I just dont like people that spout non factual things like you are especially when they provide absolutely no sources to back it up.

I have provided all the evidence needed in the form of dates, quotes from persons directly involved in closures and press from that period. You call all of my facts wrong yet, so far have provided no source to back your claims up.

As to deaths this link COVID-19 pandemic deaths in March 2020 - Wikipedia shows all deaths in March of all countries. As I have posted before on the 11th/12th March 2020 USA announced closure to Europe for 30 days. From the link you can see in the table on the 11th March there were indeed 25 deaths recorded this is also from the data reported to the WHO.

Of course I suppose you are still going to argue that there were more despite once again evidence showing otherwise. So this is where my discussion with you ends as you just seem to not care about evidence and just spout "trump is bad" despite no one even talking about him in the discussion.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

If you don't want to read there are news clips on Youtube of President Trumper Dumper calling it a hoax and fake news. He did this for roughly 4 months or so. How you think we responded in a timely manner amazes me and it either proves you did not pay attention when the poop was hitting the fan or research all the facts or your just flat out lying to yourself. You couldn't have been living under a rock when this all happened. You seem like a smart person. I hope anyway.

You keep writing posts Velk that Trump was to blame.  There is nothing in our U.S. Constitution that allows a president to take control during a pandemic.  California was the 2nd in the world to lockdown just a day or two after France, who was the 1st in the world.  The states were in control, the governors, not Trump.  And, I never read about Trump calling it a hoax because it doesn't matter anyway and it's ridiculous stuff I would not read anyways like yellow journalism or the rag mags which I will never read.  Trump was NOT in control of California.  We did not care about his opinions as they held little baring on anything. 

As to the OP and Arielle's question of why it took so long to get the fact it was airborne, the WHO may have played down or in fact SAID that the virus was NOT airborne because, at the time, masks were in short order.  I blame our state for not having stockpiles for possible pandemics, especially since the Swine Flu was not that long ago and the Swine Flu made me very ill that I was ill for years, a long hauler of swine flu.  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 5/28/2021 at 1:54 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

For a repurposed drug like Ivermectin the safety was already known as it has been used for 30 years and even won the Noble peace prize in 2015 for its safety profile

I'd not before heard of the "Noble peace prize."

I had, of course, heard of the Nobel Peace Prize, but in 2015 that was apparently awarded to the Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet, so it can't be what you were thinking of.

In the same year, the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was shared between Tu Youyou, "for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against malaria", and William C. Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura "for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites" (Avermectin, which is apparently "Any of a class of macrocyclic lactones, produced by Streptomyces bacteria, that are used medically to kill parasites").

Meanwhile, ivermectin ("A compound of the avermectin group, used as an anthelmintic in veterinary medicine and as a treatment for river blindness") is 

generally well tolerated at doses authorised for other indications, side effects could increase with the much higher doses that would be needed to obtain concentrations of ivermectin in the lungs that are effective against the virus. Toxicity when ivermectin is used at higher than approved doses therefore cannot be excluded.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-advises-against-use-ivermectin-prevention-treatment-covid-19-outside-randomised-clinical-trials

(It's not difficult to look this kind of stuff up).

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I had, of course, heard of the Nobel Peace Prize, but in 2015 that was apparently awarded to the Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet, so it can't be what you were thinking of.

In the same year, the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was shared between Tu Youyou, "for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against malaria", and William C. Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura "for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites" (Avermectin, which is apparently "Any of a class of macrocyclic lactones, produced by Streptomyces bacteria, that are used medically to kill parasites").

Meanwhile, ivermectin ("A compound of the avermectin group, used as an anthelmintic in veterinary medicine and as a treatment for river blindness") is 

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-advises-against-use-ivermectin-prevention-treatment-covid-19-outside-randomised-clinical-trials

(It's not difficult to look this kind of stuff up).

Oh good catch on the Noble "peace" prize rather than the "The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2015. The press release states in part:

William C. Campbell, an expert in parasite biology working in the USA, acquired Ōmura’s Streptomyces cultures and explored their efficacy. Campbell showed that a component from one of the cultures was remarkably efficient against parasites in domestic and farm animals. The bioactive agent was purified and named Avermectin, which was subsequently chemically modified to a more effective compound called Ivermectin. Ivermectin was later tested in humans with parasitic infections and effectively killed parasite larvae (microfilaria) (Figure 3). Collectively, Ōmura and Campbell’s contributions led to the discovery of a new class of drugs with extraordinary efficacy against parasitic diseases.

So I would suppose that the prize was awarded collectively for the work done resulting in the effective chemical compound called Ivermectin. Somewhat hairsplitting Innula or is this a good example of 

‘Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it’

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oh good catch on the Noble "peace" prize rather than the "The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2015. The press release states in part:

William C. Campbell, an expert in parasite biology working in the USA, acquired Ōmura’s Streptomyces cultures and explored their efficacy. Campbell showed that a component from one of the cultures was remarkably efficient against parasites in domestic and farm animals. The bioactive agent was purified and named Avermectin, which was subsequently chemically modified to a more effective compound called Ivermectin. Ivermectin was later tested in humans with parasitic infections and effectively killed parasite larvae (microfilaria) (Figure 3). Collectively, Ōmura and Campbell’s contributions led to the discovery of a new class of drugs with extraordinary efficacy against parasitic diseases.

So I would suppose that the prize was awarded collectively for the work done resulting in the effective chemical compound called Ivermectin. Somewhat hairsplitting Innula or is this a good example of 

‘Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it’

I don't know about you, but I think it's important to get my facts right, particularly when dispensing medical advice.

Right, so we've established that Ivermectin is recommended as a treatment for parasitic infections in humans, notably river blindness.   Parasitic infections and river blindness, which is apparently  "a disease caused by infection with the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus,"  not viral infections caused by Covid-19  

The European Medicines Agency tell us that

Although ivermectin is generally well tolerated at doses authorised for other indications, side effects could increase with the much higher doses that would be needed to obtain concentrations of ivermectin in the lungs that are effective against the virus. Toxicity when ivermectin is used at higher than approved doses therefore cannot be excluded.

EMA therefore concluded that use of ivermectin for prevention or treatment of COVID-19 cannot currently be recommended outside controlled clinical trials. Further well-designed, randomised studies are needed to draw conclusions as to whether the product is effective and safe in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.

That is -- not unsurprisingly, to my mind -- a medication recommended at one dosage as a treatment for parasitic worms isn't necessarily recommended at a much higher dosage as a treatment for Covid-19, which is caused by a virus, not a parasitic worm.

Attention to this kind of detail -- what the treatment is for, and what the dosage should be -- is rather important, I think. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I don't know about you, but I think it's important to get my facts right, particularly when dispensing medical advice.

Right, so we've established that Ivermectin is recommended as a treatment for parasitic infections in humans, notably river blindness.   Parasitic infections and river blindness, which is apparently  "a disease caused by infection with the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus,"  not viral infections caused by Covid-19  

The European Medicines Agency tell us that

That is -- not unsurprisingly, to my mind -- a medication recommended at one dosage as a treatment for parasitic worms isn't necessarily recommended at a much higher dosage as a treatment for Covid-19, which is caused by a virus, not a parasitic worm.

Attention to this kind of detail -- what the treatment is for, and what the dosage should be -- is rather important, I think. 

I'm sorry Innula but there has been several threads where Ivermectin has been brought up and I have supplied multiple links showing its efficacy with Covid in various studies. If you had noted the portion of text you quoted originally, you can see i did say "repurposed".

A recent study:

Conclusions:

Meta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 have found large, statistically significant reductions in mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance. Furthermore, results from numerous controlled prophylaxis trials report significantly reduced risks of contracting COVID-19 with the regular use of ivermectin. Finally, the many examples of ivermectin distribution campaigns leading to rapid population-wide decreases in morbidity and mortality indicate that an oral agent effective in all phases of COVID-19 has been identified. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8088823/

Here is another link listing multiple studies: https://c19ivermectin.com/

And a youtube review of some of the data surrounding the ivermectin studies: 

And of course none of this should be taken as dispensing medical advice but solely as pointing out that there are repurposed treatment drugs showing a lot of promise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Recommendation

• There are insufficient data for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) to recommend either for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. Results from adequately powered, well-designed, and well-conducted clinical trials are needed to provide more specific, evidence-based guidance on the role of ivermectin in the treatment of COVID-19.

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

In the same year, the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was shared between Tu Youyou, "for her discoveries concerning a novel therapy against malaria", and William C. Campbell and Satoshi Ōmura "for their discoveries concerning a novel therapy against infections caused by roundworm parasites" (Avermectin, ...

But but but, that's NOT what a random person who is totally a DOCTOR (their Facebook page confirms it!) said on YouTube. And we all know how reliable YouTube is in dispensing VITAL information like '10 Actors who refuse to work together ever again'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.