Why Did It Take So Long to Accept the Facts About Covid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If this thread went away some would have nothing to talk about anymore.

And some would just do as they always do and migrate the absolutely meaningless political claptrap into every thread they can - just ramping it up again.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

whine about them not finding out it was aerosolized until recently.

How recently is recently? Do you mean the date in the OP (aka this year) where the WHO and CDC acknowledged aerosol being the primary method or do you mean early last year.

There is a vast difference between finding out something happens, to accepting that it happens. The WHO and CDC have a lot of blame in that regards by not looking at the evidence and not accepting what other scientists have been saying since early last year. Yet people say in this thread they are not primarily to blame for how the pandemic evolved. 🙄

For them to actually update their information based on aerosols this year and not last year despite the evidence and scientists suggesting otherwise is mind blowing and show severe flaws within both of those departments.

People keep arguing in this thread as to who you should take advice from and most have the opinion it is organisations like the WHO and CDC. How can those institutions be trusted however, when they ignore the advice of professionals or evidence based on research or in field? No wonder people start conspiracy theories of coverups etc.

Even if there is a sliver of evidence that it travelled by Aerosol, their advice should have been updated as a precautionary measure, something on the lines of "evidence may suggest aerosol transmission so we advise all to update control measures based on that until otherwise such as masks indoors". Yet they didn't because they (WHO and CDC) thought it was impossible to happen because of outdated studies from the early 1900's despite evidence saying otherwise.

For reference:

March 2020: New coronavirus may spread as an airborne aerosol, like SARS | Live Science

10th April 2020: COVID-19: Aerosolized particles carrying virus stay in the air longer than previously thought - Neuroscience News

16 April 2020 (published 17th March 2020): Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1 | NEJM

26 June 2020: Reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 | Science (sciencemag.org)

8 July 2020: Masks could be more important than hand washing against COVID-19 | wcnc.com

25 August 2020: COVID-19 Is Transmitted Through Aerosols. We Need to Adapt | Time

21 Sept 2020 (notice in the article the CDC said it was airborne then deleted it again a few days later): How Long Does Coronavirus Live In The Air? Here's What We Know. | HuffPost Life

1 Oct 2020 (with references to petitions from 239 scientists from 32 countries in July 2020 for WHO and CDC to recognise aerosol transmission): Protecting against COVID's Aerosol Threat - Scientific American

Aerosolization of the virus was known about in March 2020 the WHO and CDC just refused to acknowledge it. The above links both scientific and articles show that yet, you say it was only recently it was found out??

You ask what would have been different? CDC guidelines in the case of aerosol transmission is different and simply recommend things like not using a/c's and just open all windows and doors as much as possible so as outdoor air can circulate and dilute the airborne virus etc meaning those able to do that could have stayed open whilst a/c'ed buildings work from home etc.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

How recently is recently? Do you mean the date in the OP (aka this year) where the WHO and CDC acknowledged aerosol being the primary method or do you mean early last year.

There is a vast difference between finding out something happens, to accepting that it happens. The WHO and CDC have a lot of blame in that regards by not looking at the evidence and not accepting what other scientists have been saying since early last year. Yet people say in this thread they are not primarily to blame for how the pandemic evolved. 🙄

For them to actually update their information based on aerosols this year and not last year despite the evidence and scientists suggesting otherwise is mind blowing and show severe flaws within both of those departments.

People keep arguing in this thread as to who you should take advice from and most have the opinion it is organisations like the WHO and CDC. How can those institutions be trusted however, when they ignore the advice of professionals or evidence based on research or in field? No wonder why people start conspiracy theories of coverups etc.

Even if there is a sliver of evidence that it travelled by Aerosol, their advice should have been updated as a precautionary measure, something on the lines of "evidence may suggest aerosol transmission so we advise all to update control measures based on that until otherwise such as masks indoors". Yet they didn't because they (WHO and CDC) thought it was impossible to happen because of outdated studies from the early 1900's despite evidence saying otherwise.

For reference:

March 2020: New coronavirus may spread as an airborne aerosol, like SARS | Live Science

10th April 2020: COVID-19: Aerosolized particles carrying virus stay in the air longer than previously thought - Neuroscience News

16 April 2020 (published 17th March 2020): Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1 | NEJM

26 June 2020: Reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 | Science (sciencemag.org)

8 July 2020: Masks could be more important than hand washing against COVID-19 | wcnc.com

25 August 2020: COVID-19 Is Transmitted Through Aerosols. We Need to Adapt | Time

21 Sept 2020 (notice in the article the CDC said it was airborne then deleted it again a few days later): How Long Does Coronavirus Live In The Air? Here's What We Know. | HuffPost Life

1 Oct 2020 (with references to petitions from 239 scientists from 32 countries in July 2020 for WHO and CDC to recognise aerosol transmission): Protecting against COVID's Aerosol Threat - Scientific American

Aerosolization of the virus was know about in March 2020 the WHO and CDC just refused to acknowledge it. The above links both scientific and articles show that yet, you say it was only recently it was found out??

You ask what would have been different? CDC guidelines in the case of aerosol transmission is different and simply recommend things like not using a/c's and just open all windows and doors as much as possible so have as outdoor air can circulate and dilute the airborne virus etc meaning those able to do that could have stayed open whilst a/c'ed buildings work from home etc.

Which is why I don't just read what WHO and the CDC put out.  Educating yourself with credible information is always best.

Most places in my area that were allowed to remain open as they were deemed essential were places like grocery stores, Wal-Mart type stores, gas stations even some offices.  All places that don't have a way to ventilate with fresh air.  From February to April, they would need to have heat.  AC during the warmer months.  Not sure if they would have  been able to remain open.

My point being, I have no scientific background.  I assumed if someone with Covid is breathing in a room that I am in, I am in danger of having whatever size particles landing on me, landing on products, lingering in the air after they've left.  To me, it's common sense regardless of who says what and when.  Regardless of what size the particles are.

Yes, they could have listened and announced it sooner.  Would it have changed the way did things?  I don't see how.

Mistakes were made.  I have always acknowledged that.  Weeding through misinformation takes a lot of time, too.

20 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At 7:20, Dr. Bailey rubs her hands and then dives into a "take down" of isolation. After quoting virologist Dr. Vincent Racaniello for definition of isolation she expresses incredulity that someone just "spits in a cup and if you mix it with a cell culture, hey presto, you've isolated a virus!"

This might be the video from which Bailey takes the quote...

Dr. Bailey makes a lot of noise about virus isolation, but Dr. Racaniello doesn't seem terribly concerned about it? Why?

If you spit into a cup of human cell culture (the cells can be immortal so they'll grow indefinitely) any infectious virus will eventually overwhelm everything else. You could take a bit of infected culture and drop it into another cup and keep going, diluting out everything that doesn't propagate.

You can sort through the culture using various techniques ultimately isolating the virus. This has been done many times, to the degree necessary. Claims to the contrary are false.

Dr. Bailey is a huge fan of Dr. Kary Mullis. If you already have the genetic sequence for something and want to know if it's in the spit, you can use Mullis' exquisitely sensitive and specific PCR technique to find it. That's why Dr. Racaniello says that we don't even bother to culture some samples. We just look for a genome sequence that identifies the virus. If we find it, the virus is there. You can look for exactly what you want (Covid-19) or for the reference virus it's based on (all coronaviruses share some recognizable genetic sequences).

To make sure that nothing else infectious is present, you can test for other genetic fingerprints, too. I read recently that typical virus searches will look for recognizable genome sequences from the target virus and from 35+ other virus families. If you don't find the other viruses, they aren't there, leaving you with only the one you are trying to isolate.

While it might be necessary to isolate a virus to a pure form when encountering it for the first time, once you've got the genetic sequence, you can leverage that hard work to make "isolates" that are good enough for continued research and testing.

As the real proof that we have isolated Covid-19 and many other viruses, the vaccines designed to teach our immune systems to recognize them actually work.

While the inconsistent use of terms might frustrate Dr. Racaniello a little, and throw Dr. Bailey for a loop, it's not really hampering science's ability to detect, understand, and fight viruses.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Missed a word, misspelled a word. Damn words.
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which is why I don't just read what WHO and the CDC put out.  Educating yourself with credible information is always best.

Most places in my area that were allowed to remain open as they were deemed essential were places like grocery stores, Wal-Mart type stores, gas stations even some offices.  All places that don't have a way to ventilate with fresh air.  From February to April, they would need to have heat.  AC during the warmer months.  Not sure if they would have  been able to remain open.

My point being, I have no scientific background.  I assumed if someone with Covid is breathing in a room that I am in, I am in danger of having whatever size particles landing on me, landing on products, lingering in the air after they've left.  To me, it's common sense regardless of who says what and when.  Regardless of what size the particles are.

Yes, they could have listened and announced it sooner.  Would it have changed the way did things?  I don't see how.

Mistakes were made.  I have always acknowledged that.  Weeding through misinformation takes a lot of time, too.

That may be what you do but many others, I would say the majority, simply don't read anything other than advice from WHO or CDC. They have a trust in them to provide the right information. We have even had people in this thread state as such.

Furthermore, when it is those organisations that directly provide advice to governments (i.e. CDC to US Government) then it is a whole different ball game of which does and has impacted on peoples lives. I wouldn't call what they did simply a mistake, it is criminal negligence where the WHO and CDC have ignored concrete peer reviewed evidence for whatever reason that has inadvertently resulted in more deaths than probably would have been otherwise.

21 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as far-right conservatives at @Luna Bliss, I'm not so sure they are completely trying to undermine science et al as you mentioned in another post but are more so saying science is fallible and governments have issues.

I'm speaking to the attitude of the far-right toward Science overall (their denial of man-made climate change, for example). We have ample evidence of how the far-right distrusts mainstream science from the past and so this is why we need to be skeptical of their evaluation on most any mainstream science matter.

Their mistrust, disregard, and hostility towards science have been something of a deliberate strategy over the past few decades that has become intertwined with the Republican party's current populist narrative that dismisses scientists as arrogant elitists who don't understand the common man or have his best interests in mind. 

They have every motivation to go for the lab-leak hypothesis, and this can cloud  objectivity.

To be clear, I'm not saying that we should not investigate -- I'm just saying we need to be aware that Republicans will be using this as a political football and so prone to distorting truth.

21 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I am not ready to say there is some kind of far-right conspiracy that is "trumpist" and I don't want to read any of those sites because that's too extreme for me.  I'm answering your post below.

My Lincoln Project links were not extremist links authored by Democrats trying to diss Republicans. The Lincoln Project is comprised of former Republicans who left their party because the party became too extremist -- they are upset over what their former party turned into. Currently the Repubs have ditched Liz Cheney because she won't tow the Trumpism line. The Republican party has become dangerous, and somebody somehow needs to bring back a true conservative party.  A party like this would be incompetent in dealing with future pandemics.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm speaking to the attitude of the far-right toward Science overall (their denial of man-made climate change, for example). We have ample evidence of how the far-right distrusts mainstream science from the past and so this is why we need to be skeptical of their evaluation on most any mainstream science matter.

I don't have time really to read a whole bunch of stuff as I have a lot of projects right now but on the issue of climate change when Gore was elected and then not elected due to a "recount" I was pissed, way pissed.   I still to this day think Gore was the real winner then.   In talking with friends at that time, it was mentioned that the government decided to not elect Gore after all because of his climate change beliefs because climate change is anti-capitalism.  If that is indeed true, climate change, at least years ago, was not about "science" to the Republicans and/or our government but rather capitalism.   Here's a bit about Gore.

Near the end of Clinton's second term, Gore was selected as the Democratic nominee for the 2000 presidential election but lost the election in a very close race after a Florida recount. After his term as vice-president ended in 2001, Gore remained prominent as an author and environmental activist, whose work in climate change activism earned him (jointly with the IPCC) the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. In 2008, Gore won the Dan David Prize for Social Responsibility.[1][2]

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

The Lincoln Project is comprised of former Republicans who left their party because the party became too extremist -- they are upset over what their former party turned into. Currently the Repubs have ditched Liz Cheney because she won't tow the Trumpism line. 

The Republican party has issues but they have to work it out.  Meanwhile though I don't want our Congress on the Republican-side hurting the American people any further, however.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, Rowan Amore said:

No to your question.

To your statement...  Credibility of the source is paramount.  He is not credible as he's misinterpreted others in the past.

Who said it matters just as much if not more than what is said on these topics.

Are you saying it depends mostly on who says it more than what they say?

I am saying no matter who says it, all that matters is if it is true. If what they are saying is true then it follows they are credible. When more and more people in the medical field of infectious disease, viral infections, genetic manipulation, and microbiology are saying the same things Wade says (all he did is collect information and offer a couple of opinions) it seems to come down to you thinking he isn't credible. But, then I don't know that you are and more and more it appears you are wrong about Wade.

Here in just a few days this subject of lab origination (which I think you were referring to as a wild conspiracy theory) is seriously blowing up all over the world... which you would know unless of course you only listen to the credible establishment media... Otherwise, you have heard the whispers significantly starting in January and building week by week as more people look at it. Starting with when someone got the the  National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) report out that traces the start of human infections in China and the USA. Of course Wade was saying that... so obviously that can't be right because Wade was talking about it... silly.

I think it should be clear that WHAT a person says is far more important than they are. That a person you don't trust says something then your vetting it makes sense. I do that with everything Psaki says. And much of what Turley, below, says.

https://rumble.com/vhlzjn-trump-vindicated-and-liberal-media-humiliated-as-covid-lab-leak-theory-now-.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Are you saying it depends mostly on who says it more than what they say?

I am saying no matter who says it, all that matters is if it is true. If what they are saying is true then it follows they are credible. When more and more people in the medical field of infectious disease, viral infections, genetic manipulation, and microbiology are saying the same things Wade says (all he did is collect information and offer a couple of opinions) it seems to come down to you thinking he isn't credible. But, then I don't know that you are and more and more it appears you are wrong about Wade.

Here in just a few days this subject of lab origination (which I think you were referring to as a wild conspiracy theory) is seriously blowing up all over the world... which you would know unless of course you only listen to the credible establishment media... Otherwise, you have heard the whispers significantly starting in January and building week by week as more people look at it. Starting with when someone got the the  National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) report out that traces the start of human infections in China and the USA. Of course Wade was saying that... so obviously that can't be right because Wade was talking about it... silly.

I think it should be clear that WHAT a person says is far more important than they are. That a person you don't trust says something then your vetting it makes sense. I do that with everything Psaki says. And much of what Turley, below, says.

https://rumble.com/vhlzjn-trump-vindicated-and-liberal-media-humiliated-as-covid-lab-leak-theory-now-.html

I never disbelieve the story.  Yes, but when some people ONLY post that news from discredited sources, THAT is what I respond to.  Try posting from a credible source.  Unlike the one above.  No.problem whatsoever with facts.

Steve Turley, a religious-right author and podcaster who celebrates the rise of right-wing nationalism and authoritarian leaders like Hungary’s Viktor Orbán, devoted the latest episode of his podcast to mocking the inauguration of President Joe Biden as “pathetic” and “embarrassing.” Turley called Biden’s inauguration an “abject disaster” and touted Steve Bannon’s prediction that former President Donald Trump will be elected again in 2024.

“Nobody showed up,” Turley said, describing the “optics” of no crowd on the National Mall as “humiliating.” Turley claimed that the Biden camp “blamed it on COVID” to explain away the new president’s inability to draw a crowd. Turley failed to mention that the National Mall was in fact completely closed to the public due to security restrictions imposed after the violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

So although his message might be true, I'll still scoff at the source and wonder why one would choose to use it.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-rumble-youtube-alternative-where-conservative-views-wont-discriminated-against-1542141

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/conducting_research/evaluating_sources_of_information/general_guidelines.html

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

Why did it take so long to accept the facts about Covid? The simple version is at least for the U.S.A. is that our country voted an idiot in to office. The reality is the man should be in prison. As someone who is retiree from Homeland Security I can say this much. Response time on a threat does not take long at all. I'm talking the time it takes for you to blink. That's how fast a response time can be. The clown who was President of the United States of America is responsible for any and all deaths incurred due to Covid. No BS cover up articles or Trump behind kissers is going to change those cold hard facts. People voted an idiot in to office and that is why we have Covid. in America now. The American people voted for it. So if you voted for Trump reap what you sow. Those people are just as responsible for it as well too. Don't like what I got to say? Go back to reading those BS articles to make yourselves feel better so you can all sleep at night. It won't change the cold hard fact that an incompetent President was voted in to office and people died for it.🤦‍♂️😒

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Why did it take so long to accept the facts about Covid? The simple version is at least for the U.S.A. is that our country voted an idiot in to office. The reality is the man should be in prison. As someone who is retiree from Homeland Security I can say this much. Response time on a threat does not take long at all. I'm talking the time it takes for you to blink. That's how fast a response time can be. The clown who was President of the United States of America is responsible for any and all deaths incurred due to Covid. No BS cover up articles or Trump behind kissers is going to change those cold hard facts. People voted an idiot in to office and that is why we have Covid. in America now. The American people voted for it. So if you voted for Trump reap what you sow. Those people are just as responsible for it as well too. Don't like what I got to say? Go back to reading those BS articles to make yourselves feel better so you can all sleep at night. It won't change the cold hard fact that an incompetent President was voted in to office and people died for it.🤦‍♂️😒

Politicians are by and large limited by the effectiveness of the bureaucrats that make up their governments. So in the case of the pandemic, the FDA, CDC, NIH etc. To the degree one supports the vaccines, Trump at least initiated Operation Warp Speed to get vaccines out quickly. Left to other politicians, they could well still be weighing the pros and cons of doing so, especially considering the mess of the health agencies.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
clean up
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Politicians are by and large limited by the effectiveness of the bureaucrats that make up their governments. So in the case of the pandemic, the FDA, CDC, NIH etc. To the degree one supports the vaccines, Trump at least initiated Operation Warp Speed to get vaccines out quickly. Left to other politicians, they could well still be weighing the pros and cons of doing so, especially considering the mess of the health agencies.

Travel in and out of the country should have been locked down immediately and the threat assessed. This did not happen. As President of the United States your responsible for the lives of every single solitary citizen of your country. Trump failed in this relatively simple task. End of story.🙄

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.

2 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

Travel in and out of the country should have been locked down immediately and the threat assessed. This did not happen. As President of the United States your responsible for the lives of every single solitary citizen of your country. Trump failed in this relatively simple task. End of story.🙄

Very few countries locked down that early and the ones that did, there was quite an internal uproar over it. I doubt in the long run it would have or has, much effect anyway. There is still plenty of cross border transport that has to happen regardless of blocking a few tourists from coming over.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

@Luna Bliss You will love her latest video I think where she discusses Germ theory vs Terrain theory. I've not heard the term Terrain Theory before but have suspected its validity a long time.

Sheesh .. even wikipedia manages to nuke this one.

Germ theory denialism is the pseudoscientific belief that germs do not cause infectious disease, and that the germ theory of disease is wrong. It usually involves arguing that Louis Pasteur's model of infectious disease was wrong, and that Antoine Béchamp's was right. In fact, its origins are rooted in Béchamp's empirically disproven (in the context of disease) theory of pleomorphism. Another obsolete variation is known as terrain theory and postulates that diseased tissue attracts germs rather than being caused by it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germ_theory_denialism

Terrain Theory bear poop in the woods attracted the bear.  It was not a product of a bear (bears aren't real).

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Sheesh .. even wikipedia manages to nuke this one.

Terrain Theory bear poop in the woods attracted the bear.  It was not a product of a bear (bears aren't real).

Guess you didn't watch the video where she already pointed that out. Color me surprised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Very few countries locked down that early and the ones that did, there was quite an internal uproar over it. I doubt in the long run it would have or has, much effect anyway. There is still plenty of cross border transport that has to happen regardless of blocking a few tourists from coming over.

Well I can't speak for other countries. I can only speak for mine and my experience having worked for mine. This country could have been shut down long enough to assess the situation. Would it have made a difference? We'll never know. What I do know is none of it even took place. The security measures in place for situations such as this were not executed properly. The President dragged his behind. The virus as a result infected more people at a faster rate of speed then it would have had all security measures been executed properly. This did not happen though. Our President did not take it seriously at first and as a result of his negligence the virus infected citizens of our country at an accelerated rate. Trying to save lives is always preferable to seeing our President sitting around with his thumb up his behind. Had he tried he would have actually earned my respect. He didn't even try. There is no justification for that.😕

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Velk Kerang said:

Well I can't speak for other countries. I can only speak for mine and my experience having worked for mine. This country could have been shut down long enough to assess the situation. Would it have made a difference? We'll never know. What I do know is none of it even took place. The security measures in place for situations such as this we not executed properly. The President dragged his behind. The virus as a results infected more people at a faster rate of speed then it would have had all security measures been executed properly. This did not happen though. Our President did not take it seriously at first and as a result of his negligence the virus infected citizens of our country at an accelerated rate. Trying to save lives is always preferable to seeing our President sitting around with his thumb up his behind. Had he tried he would have actually earned my respect. He didn't even try. There is no justification for that.😕

It is unlikely that any politician will remain unscathed by their handling of the pandemic but personally from what I see of the health agencies and their experts, I think most of it can be put at their feet for giving bad "expert" advice. Politicians have to consider both the health and the economics of a country. As far as assessing the situation, they are still doing that over a year into it and it is just now we starting to actually get some facts.

Considering the fiasco down on your southern border, your new president isn't doing much better with handling borders. Probably listening to expert advice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I blame YouTube for actively giving platform to nonsense so long as it remains advertiser friendly.

I credit Youtube for spreading knowledge far and wide instead of hidden away in some dusty tome. The real nonsense is when a select few are the arbiters of what they feel is the only knowledge the masses are allowed to have. Reminds one of the the dark and middle age Church being the only allowed purveyors of the Truth. Are we going to again be burning people at the stake if they don't adhere to the "Official" version of Scientific Truth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.