The Continents are Joining?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't know where the name "Heterocetera" came from; possibly from the Linden who was into electronic music groups but isn't here any more. It was related to a Greek myth -- and actually the makers of The Sims Online (Will Wright) drew on the same concept of that body of water with the concentric circles in their main land body.

This doesn't really tell the history critically and I think is factually wrong but it's got some useful information.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Heterocera

Maybe the name "Heterocetera" was invented by Prok? And the name "Etcetera" too?
I have never ever heard that continent called by either of those names.
As far as I know it's always been called "Heterocera". Even the Wiki article linked above calls it Heterocera - not Heterocetera.

(I understand that sometimes it can happen that we read some name right, but our memory distorts it a bit and we continue to use the distorted name without even realizing it.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Maybe the name "Heterocetera" was invented by Prok? And the name "Etcetera" too?
I have never ever heard that continent called by either of those names.
As far as I know it's always been called "Heterocera". Even the Wiki article linked above calls it Heterocera - not Heterocetera.

(I understand that sometimes it can happen that we read some name right, but our memory distorts it a bit and we continue to use the distorted name without even realizing it.)

Or...another thing can happen, I find. Sometimes people parody things that other people continue to take with an absolute straight face well past the sell-by date.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Lloyd Overland said:

Useful information, thanks for sharing.

Another option I and others have mentioned is one region to the west of the link regions that lead south to Bellisseria there is an existing protected parcel leading to the Linden road in Alcona. 

image.thumb.png.2fdb7de37341452a09f05df4b324fcf5.png

image.thumb.png.1a338b14b66a67a2925f64d55d55b971.png

image.png

It's very useful if they added these regions as the seven miles bridge from Sansara to Jeogeot passing Bellisseria. including more Traditional linden homes and Boathouses with shipping and sailing regions. It's very outlandish idea for linden to build The Road Bridge for Cars here.

1200px-Seven_mile_bridge.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, anuk2939mk2 said:

It's very useful if they added these regions as the seven miles bridge from Sansara to Jeogeot passing Bellisseria. including more Traditional linden homes and Boathouses with shipping and sailing regions. It's very outlandish idea for linden to build The Road Bridge for Cars here.

1200px-Seven_mile_bridge.jpg

Someone asked what amenities I wanted next - I like your idea of a "seven mile bridge", but also for sea, and air travel.

Now that the region crossings have improved, driving in Second Life has become easier, but there are still large sections of the Mainland that are air-, sea-, and land-locked. Haven't any of those Linden folks ever played SimCity?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

@Prokofy Neva

@Coby Foden

Heterocera continent is named after the latin species name for a moth, Lepidoptera Heterocera.

It is SL's second oldest continent and was completed on 2nd December 2005.

The earliest of Heterocera's region are to be found in its south and are almost always named after species of moth.

The continent (when first created in 2005) was centred around the Moth Temple of Iris in the Iris region of Heterocera Atoll continent, built by Xenon Linden.

The Moth Temple of Iris was built as the first telehub of the entire Heterocera continent in an area of Heterocera water regions known as The Inner Delta.

The earliest region built in Heterocera is named Caletta, built on 21st March 2005, opening just to the north of the ANWR channel.

Around Caletta are many other moth-named regions such as Oculea and Neumoegen, which are parts of the continent's extensive SLRR railway network.

Heterocera is home to Second Life's tallest mountain range, found at the northern side of the continent, although none of these mountains are snow topped.

Landmark: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Iris/200/136/32/

moth+temple+3.jpgmothcopter.jpgmothcopter+2.jpg

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Prokofy Neva

@Coby Foden

Heterocera continent is named after the latin species name for a moth, Lepidoptera Heterocera.

It is SL's second oldest continent and was completed on 2nd December 2005.

The earliest of Heterocera's region are to be found in its south and are almost always named after species of moth.

The continent (when first created in 2005) was centred around the Moth Temple of Iris in the Iris region of Heterocera Atoll continent, built by Xenon Linden.

The Moth Temple of Iris was built as the first telehub of the entire Heterocera continent in an area of Heterocera water regions known as The Inner Delta.

The earliest region built in Heterocera is named Caletta, built on 21st March 2005, opening just to the north of the ANWR channel.

Around Caletta are many other moth-named regions such as Oculea and Neumoegen, which are parts of the continent's extensive SLRR railway network.

Heterocera is home to Second Life's tallest mountain range, found at the northern side of the continent, although none of these mountains are snow topped.

Landmark: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Iris/200/136/32/

moth+temple+3.jpgmothcopter.jpgmothcopter+2.jpg

Very beautiful photos!

Yes, I'm highly aware of all those facts. I was present at the birth of Heterocera and know Iris and the other moth sims very well.

Here is a transcript and photos from a talk by Xenon Linden about his inspiration for the builds.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Thanks 6

About the closest you can get to Satori from Bellisseria by boating is the water regions around Rathais at the southwest tip.  And you're pretty much stuck there with all the orbs and lack of navigable passages around the rest of Satori.  So no reaching the Blake Sea by water from Bellisseria....yet.  Unless they add extra water regions around Satori.

Navigating through the Stilt areas up to the Chalet ones would be easier if the map worked properly.

If they want to Residents to be able to reach the inland waters of Sansara (and Heterocera) they'd need to add water regions up from the Bellisseria-Sansara connection.  Up west/northwest up to Abbots or Keltham.  And on the southeast/east side up to around Blooberry Tam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a one region wide empty water channel that now runs between the two Stilt home areas which makes it easy to navigate through them ;)

Regarding sailing in Satori, they still have 3 themes to build, and just by examining the unfinished areas of Bellisseria, (and looking at some of the hints they've left), you can formulate a reasonable assumption about where the continent will expand. I'm confident that when Bellisseria is 100% done, we'll be able to sail up the west coast of Satori. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Bellisseria expand so that it does indeed connect up to the north east corner of Sansara.

On the other hand, as I can't see any financial gain for LL to add a big stack of water regions heading round to Abbots, then I think that's very unlikely. 

• Thanks 2

I'll put the updated world map here too since the old one was on this thread as well. Feel free to reuse it, just keep the credit to Jessica on it or include a credit to her... she has had to do some clever stuff to put this together. (It zooms in a couple of times.)

.Mainland-2021-04-17.thumb.jpg.b3a57dddacbe9454fc90b39e70b48925.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, diamond Marchant said:

You can sail the Chalet Home regions to Satori if you start in Diving Belle and go east... just follow the river and use the minimap. Here is a map we will use for an upcoming Leeward cruise.

I've made that trip. It's nice. You end up at a club with a dock and rez zone. That's as far north as you can get by boat in that area. Going east or west along the coast will run you into obstacles or ban lines. There is also a 512m^2 parcel with ban lines and no keep-out buoys  messing up the waterway, as noted.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:10 AM, Landra Beerbaum said:

what i would also find useful would be a kind of central airport on bellisseria. many residents also fly with larger airplanes

Well the Moles have added a third airstrip in Bellisseria only a few days ago - smack bang in the middle of the great river that runs through the Chalet theme. So that's 3 now in total, plus of course there are "proper" airports at both the northern and southern ends of Bellisseria, in neighbouring Satori/Jeogeot. 

I'd say overall, pilots in SL are being pretty well looked after in Bellisseria, besides, this IS SL, you can land your big plane on those airstrips too ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Well the Moles have added a third airstrip in Bellisseria only a few days ago - smack bang in the middle of the great river that runs through the Chalet theme. So that's 3 now in total, plus of course there are "proper" airports at both the northern and southern ends of Bellisseria, in neighbouring Satori/Jeogeot. 

I'd say overall, pilots in SL are being pretty well looked after in Bellisseria, besides, this IS SL, you can land your big plane on those airstrips too ;)

Don’t forget the large airport at the southern end of Sansara too!

The airstrips are perfect for Bellisseria, and with all the water around you can land a seaplane or a helicopter with floats pretty much anywhere.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

our big dani plane as well as several others that are bigger than a cessna, unfortunately we can't start and land anywhere there. very very unfortunate

Edited by Landra Beerbaum
  • Sad 1

On 6/18/2021 at 6:16 AM, Landra Beerbaum said:

our big dani plane as well as several others that are bigger than a cessna, unfortunately we can't start and land anywhere there. very very unfortunate

Bellisseria is a fairly dense residential set of continents, small parcels meant as starter homes.  I think it's really appropriate for the airstrips to be sized for private planes. 

The closest thing to a multi-region industrial build, such as that needed for a real airport, is the Galaxy, a 3-region heritage build which was moved to Belli.  It provides areas of interest to Belli residents - ballroom, wedding space, etc..  I don't see a big airport as being in-theme (there are no industrial areas in Belli), or of sufficient general interest, to justify LL dedicating a few regions. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:16 PM, Landra Beerbaum said:

I fly those planes too, and a couple even larger. I don't have any problem taking off or landing on those runways. Flying in SL can best be described as "immersive" - it's certainly not that realistic, so even larger planes can land on very short runways with a bit of practise. 

I'll just add and confirm what Nika said, full-size airports in Bellisseria aren't appropriate, because as mentioned, they aren't in theme, and the main purpose of Bellisseria is residential living areas for premium members. This was mentioned by one of the Moles (Abnor I think) previously when this topic was first brought up. There are plenty of large airports all over mainland as it is - and now that the continents are joined, you can fly to them all ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A bit of an update, I was doing some railway stuff in Bellisseria over the weekend.

While it's SLRR track standards, land permissions are awkward. You need an avatar on every component of a train. There are a very few trains which are made of articulated linksets. Most use the SLRR system of follower scripts to make up a train from separate vehicles.

Rez zones are few and far between. Where a line ends there is usually something, such as Bridle Path which is  the end of the line towards the Stilt regions. The next rail-specific rez zone is at Hawkesblood, which is a very long gap. Just east of Hawkesblood a spur diverges south through a chain of SSPE regions to SSPE1457 where there is a station and rez zone at the end of that line.

It's some way north of Randelsham Forest that another spur diverges, west and the north, limited usable track, until it hits the unresolved edge at SSPE1217

We have unresolved region edges from Snert to Lost Caves. I can see the "big river", through the Chalet and Stilt regions, connecting across that gap to provide a waterway, rather than the current narrow sim-edge routes down the east side. Look at all the connected waters on the north-east parts of Bellisseria.

We've had mention of the airstrip on the big river. There's a road tunnel south across the big river nearby. Starting in Hydrant, there are the first signs of more SLRR under construction, with map-visible green parkers in place, and a rail tunnel. I think it could connect to the rest of the Bellisseria lines, with a lot of new regions required, but will that happen? The rail and big river combination could justify a Linden-developed port facility in the vicinity of Buffalo Springs.

I can rant a bit about the transport links at the south end of Satori. I don't know what the Lindens were drinking when they pulled that stunt with the roads, the bridges, and the lake, but it ought to be illegal.

One extra note: The system by which new Linden Home regions does seem to have changed a bit. There are SSPE regions in blocks elsewhere on the Grid. Instead of a block of regions being deployed in its final position, worked-on for a long time, and renamed as the last step before being brought into use, there now seem to be placeholder not-region markers on maps, and regions can be quickly and reliably moved from working areas to final location.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

I fly those planes too, and a couple even larger. I don't have any problem taking off or landing on those runways. Flying in SL can best be described as "immersive" - it's certainly not that realistic, so even larger planes can land on very short runways with a bit of practise. 

I'll just add and confirm what Nika said, full-size airports in Bellisseria aren't appropriate, because as mentioned, they aren't in theme, and the main purpose of Bellisseria is residential living areas for premium members. This was mentioned by one of the Moles (Abnor I think) previously when this topic was first brought up. There are plenty of large airports all over mainland as it is - and now that the continents are joined, you can fly to them all ;) 

we have also taken off and landed on the mini runways, but not very realistically. it doesn't have to be a mega airport, but something bigger wouldn't be bad. furthermore, i would find a kind of bellisseria capital somehow exciting, perhaps also with a small shopping mall. no realistic region in the world consists only of allotment settlements... i hope at least that you can reach belli by boat soon, it is a pity that there are no water ledges yet for a connection to the blake sea. but i think that is probably in the planning stage

Edited by Landra Beerbaum
  • Like 3

Maybe we can use another idea from history to truly connect ALL the Continents (except maybe poor Zindra because it has been naughty)...

WellwornShimmeringHamster.webp

+

Mainland-2021-04-17.thumb.jpg.b3a57dddacbe9454fc90b39e70b48925.jpg

seriously!  😘

Edited by BJoyful
sp, ofc smh
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 5:52 AM, Landra Beerbaum said:

we have also taken off and landed on the mini runways, but not very realistically. it doesn't have to be a mega airport, but something bigger wouldn't be bad. furthermore, i would find a kind of bellisseria capital somehow exciting, perhaps also with a small shopping mall. no realistic region in the world consists only of allotment settlements... i hope at least that you can reach belli by boat soon, it is a pity that there are no water ledges yet for a connection to the blake sea. but i think that is probably in the planning stage

It actually is possible to get from the Blake Sea to Bellisseria.

Unfortunately, a couple security orbs on the mainland will get you before you make it.

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 979 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.