Superbowl!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh they're talking about "Soccer" for europe.
That game where woman are banned from attending in some countries
and its run by very shady characters indeed.
They're trying to build a league here, in a football country.
tenor.gif.60ec9a8f90d7ecb229da52ed884aab41.gifconfused-csp53412045.jpg.a8d8b7bd3695abfae74582bf5bd03c66.jpg 
Falls over, fakes a broken spine, cries a lot, and begs the referee for a free kick.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I got news for ya.  The NFL is bringing 2 games to Germany this year, and has been playing a couple in London for the last few years already.  In UK there is a big following and the Superbowl will be live on the BBC (with NO ads :D, but lots of chat instead >:().

The way to watch it is to get the 40 minute games from the NFL website - not live but all the delays and ads are taken out, but you see the whole thing, or the Game in 5 minutes, which is just the highlights - but it does mean you can watch a lot of games over coffee on Monday morning:).  

I follow NFL (yeah I know, Brit girl...) because the league is designed to make the games exciting, not to enable one or two clubs to dominate through the cheque-book.  The NFL draft system means that the worst team each year gets the first pick of the best new players.

The NFL sold out Wimbley in London a few times and the crowds seemed pretty into it. I could foresee a division in Europe at some point down the road. The flight times from the east coast US to parts of Europe are comparable to flight times from the east coast to California. So it's not like the logistics isn't something the NFL deals with already.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:25 AM, Sid Nagy said:

I still think American Rugby would nail the game far better than American football.
If you use the word football, in 195 of the totally 196 independent states in the world people will think about:

voetbal-voetbalschoen-26-03-20.jpg

Only Americans think about their rugby variation.

If we're being honest, the game of football in Europe derived from a 12th century game where players were allowed to punch the ball with their fists... It was also a far more violent game than modern European Football hence why it was banned on multiple occasions. If anything it more closely resembled rugby than modern football in Europe. But no one complained about it being called football...

Edited by Vengeance Villota

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Nobody cares about NFL in Europe other than maybe a few folks scattered here and there due to never seeing it, other than that comparing the NFL to UEFA's Champions League is like comparing Nascar Racing to Formula1.

Cool so maybe people should stop comparing it to (soccer) whenever someone posts a thread about the Super Bowl lol. Basically, no one asked.

1 hour ago, Finite said:

Cool so maybe people should stop comparing it to (soccer) whenever someone posts a thread about the Super Bowl lol. Basically, no one asked.

People have been arguing/comparing anything over the internet since the early days of it, i am sure that won't stop now so better get used to it.  (*unless somehow everyone becomes occupied with useful stuff and waste less time online, which will not happen anytime soon.)

4 hours ago, Finite said:

Nobody ever asked to start a thread or respond to it.
That is how forums work.

6 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nobody ever asked to start a thread or respond to it.
That is how forums work.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with comparing two things that have a lot of similarities..

The thing that I find silly is, when people on either side that probably spend more time on their butts than ever actually playing either one, calling either sport for wimps or whatever weak word they use..

Haven't seen too much of that in this thread, but have in past ones..

I know people that play both and both will whoop the hell out of anyone and can put someone in the hospital pretty quick..

I think it's more, my dad can beat up your dad kinda thing when people say silly things like that.. hehehe

• Thanks 1

I don't get it.

They play football .. With their hands .. And a prolate spheroid object .. And when they do their big hand-spheroid game, they call it 'super bowl'. Which also isn't the right sport. 

bowling-strike.gif

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't get it.

They play football .. With their hands .. And a prolate spheroid object .. And when they do their big hand-spheroid game, they call it 'super bowl'. Which also isn't the right sport. 

bowling-strike.gif

The bowl reference comes from the shape of the stadiums which for the most part resemble bowls. It has nothing to do with the shape of the ball or the act of bowling (verb) but an actual bowl (noun). why it’s a term used across both professional and collegiate levels.

as for the namesake football. I have no idea. Maybe it’s because it’s roughly the size of a foot? Footballs are 11 inches. Close to the foot length with is 12 inches. Or maybe the did it to P off the Brits?

whatever the reason we’ve been calling it that since the 1880s. I don’t think they’ll change it because it confuses a very few simple minded Europeans.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

I think those outside the US don’t know how big collegiate football is in America. They know the Super Bowl but they don’t know the atmosphere of college games which have tailgate parties, marching bands and college alumni who are fans for life.When some mentions a bowl game I think more about the college bowls than the super bowl.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I don't get it.

bowling-strike.gif

Because the stadiums are bowl shaped. It has nothing to do with the sport of bowling.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

10 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I think those outside the US don’t know how big collegiate football is in America. They know the Super Bowl but they don’t know the atmosphere of college games which have tailgate parties, marching bands and college alumni who are fans for life.When some mentions a bowl game I think more about the college bowls than the super bowl.

That's more than likely where the term Super Bowl came from  was the college bowls..

College football it seems like the whole family gets involved, where Pro it doesn't seem like it as much..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

From looking it up, It seems it all started with the Rose Bowl Stadium..

why championship football games are called “bowls”.

In 1901, the Roses Association sponsored a college Tournament East-West football game between Michigan and Stanford.  In this game, Stanford quit in the third quarter, being down 49-0.  For the next 15 years, this annual event stopped featuring football, rather featured other events such as chariot racing.  However, in 1916, the Roses Association decided to sponsor a football tournament once again, this time between WSU (then called The State College of Washington) and Brown.  This game was held at Tournament Park in Pasadena, as were subsequent annual matches.  Fast-forward five years and they had need of a stadium to play the game at, with attendance for this tournament having swelled massively.

Myron Hunt was commissioned to design a stadium for this purpose which was completed two years later and named Rose Bowl.  Like many other college football stadiums after, Rose Bowl was modeled after the design of Yale’s stadium, Yale Bowl, which got its name from the fact that it resembled a bowl, much like Rose Bowl.  This tournament sponsored by the Roses Association then was named the “Rose Bowl”, after the stadium.

Gradually other cities and universities with football teams saw the money making opportunities and promotional value of these tournament games and began creating their own “bowl” games, even though many of these games were not played in bowl shaped stadiums.

The NFL eventually borrowed this terminology when they created the Pro Bowl in 1951.  In 1970, the AFL and NFL merged and they created a championship game called the “AFL-NFL World Championship Game”.  This game was called such for two years while the final details of the merger were being worked out.  Upon the third “AFL-NFL World Championship Game” the merger was complete and this championship game was re-branded the “Super Bowl”, after the college naming convention.  This third match-up, being called “Super Bowl III”, also set the tradition of using Roman numerals for the Super Bowl, rather than the year of the game.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.