Superbowl!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got no interest in American football. Actually I don't have a clue about it! But...I'm trying to find interesting things to do in February during lockdown apart from Chinese New Year, so I'm going to stay up late next Sunday night (more like Monday morning...) and watch it for the first time :) 

I was going to support the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because they have a cooler logo ☠️ But now I'm going to support Kansas City Chiefs because 'chief' is London slang for 'idiot' xD  "Come on you Chiefs!" 

Is anybody else going to watch it and who are you supporting? Or will you avoid it? Do you have any tips for an authentic superbowl party? 

Just to make it relevant to SL - wasn't there an American football league on SL at one point? I remember when you'd see a lot of people with cheerleader group tags. 

7 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

6 Nations for me ... 

Oh, is that rugby? I didn't even know it was on. I should watch that as I am half-Irish and support Ireland. But I can't even watch normal football, lol, I just zone out xD

Edited by Rat Luv

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh, is that rugby? I didn't even know it was on. I should watch that as I am half-Irish and support Ireland. But I can't even watch normal football, lol, I just zone out xD

Will you watch the half-time show? 

Yes, rugby .. I love it, it is the only team sport I watch & (used to) attend in person.  And they don't need all that padding they use in  American (& Canadian) football .. wusses.  😛 

What half time show ?  Superbowl ?  Nah, someone will have it up on youtube the second it is over .. who is it this year, do you know ? 

btw: first Ireland game v. Wales 7th Feb .. Wales should win it, but they are close teams ability wise, so should be a good match. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=6+nations+2021&oq=6+nat&aqs=chrome.1.0i131i355i395i433j0i131i395i433l2j69i57j69i60l3.1658j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/g/11fkd9rm40;8;/m/06m4l;mt;fp;1;;

• Like 1

I agree...American football does look very similar to rugby, but with crash helmets. The most nuts game I've seen is hurling, it's very popular in Ireland...literally hitting each other with sticks :o And they don't wear helmets either...

I think its The Weeknd but I saw one site saying Daft Punk will be on? I don't know, I only had the idea to watch it earlier today, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I've got no interest in American football. Actually I don't have a clue about it! But...I'm trying to find interesting things to do in February during lockdown apart from Chinese New Year, so I'm going to stay up late next Sunday night (more like Monday morning...) and watch it for the first time :) 

I was going to support the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because they have a cooler logo ☠️ But now I'm going to support Kansas City Chiefs because 'chief' is London slang for 'idiot' xD  "Come on you Chiefs!" 

Is anybody else going to watch it and who are you supporting? Or will you avoid it? Do you have any tips for an authentic superbowl party? 

Just to make it relevant to SL - wasn't there an American football league on SL at one point? I remember when you'd see a lot of people with cheerleader group tags. 

I hate pretty much all sports and never watch any of them on TV or in person --- except for my daughter's soccer (football) games when she was growing up, and ice skating & gymnastics during the Olympics.

However, before the lockdown I often went to Super Bowl parties.  Not because I had any desire to watch the game or socialize, but because my husband's friends invited us and it was expected that we would make an appearance, at least  for a while. The parties usually had really awesome food and quite often the half time entertainment was decent, but it was still pretty much a sucky day for me. 

This year I am incredibly happy that I don't have to attend any such party or try to come up with a lame excuse as to why I won't be there -- I did do that a few times in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I'm going for the Chiefs, just because Brady has enough rings. Authentic superbowl party needs Buffalo wings and beer as a staple, I always make those for my husband. Anything after that is fair game.

There was an American football league in SL! It was much like wrestling and boxing in SL. A bunch of guys talking smack on mic, weird and hilarious at the same time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

When the Aints won the Super Bowl in 2010 and became the Saints, I lost all interest in football. 

I have no clue what that means but I might steal it to sound like I know what I'm talking about 🤩

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I'd watch if it were on Saturday or at least earlier on Sunday.

Super Bowl Saturday!!!!

Yes, it's a bit odd it's on Sunday, when everyone has to work the next day. When people's teams win, do they phone in ill the next morning? ;)

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I have no clue what that means but I might steal it to sound like I know what I'm talking about 🤩

Well it goes something like this: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/10/sports/football/10saints.html (bit of a long read)

then it goes like this: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/sports/football/05bag.html

Then they won the Super Bowl in 2010.

But I still love my Aints!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Yes, it's a bit odd it's on Sunday, when everyone has to work the next day. When people's teams win, do they phone in ill the next morning? ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/29/super-bowl-millions-employees-plan-to-miss-work-on-monday/4607210002/

Although with so many people working from home this year, it may not be as many.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I live in Tampa Bay..

Your logo is much better. The Chiefs logo looks like a KFC imitator :S

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I would suggest pizza for the game. Delivery pizza of course. Another dish would be nachos and shredded cheese sprinkled with olives, taco-seasoned beef, jalapenos, diced tomatoes, etc. Served with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and refried beans. 

That sounds :P but sadly it will be gone midnight so won't be able to sleep if I eat then. I might have a Budweiser...

Ok, so I lowkey love "American Football" as we call it here cause I went to see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers play on a family holiday to Florida and it was such a lovely fun day out. I got loads of annual leave to take this year due to not being able to take any holidays, so it's a good excuse to stay up to watch it and take Monday off work.

I'll be supporting Tampa cause that's my team and also it would be an amazing story if Tom Brady wins it at 46 years old or whatever. They weren't expected to do well at the beginning of the season so they're the underdogs too and everyone loves rooting for the underdog right?

American football is tough to understand but actually if you get into it you realise it is soooo incredibly tactical and strategic with all the plays and the split second decisions with everyone on the pitch in their own personal battle with an opponent, fulfilling a specific but vital role. It's almost like chess. 

The half time show is also usually entertaining for either the right (Gaga) or wrong (Coldplay) reasons, lol.

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

With crash helmets and lots of padding.  I've heard it said that American football is for the wimps than can't tolerate rugby.

So I'm no expert but I'm told that because of the nature of the game (the way you can get tackled from any angle and on different parts of the body) it is actually more dangerous than rugby so thats why they need the additional padding and its good for the safety of the players (the rules are always changing to make it safer too). So I'm going to defend NFL players here and say they're not wimps at all and this is a total misconception! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

Ok, so I lowkey love "American Football" as we call it here cause I went to see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers play on a family holiday to Florida and it was such a lovely fun day out. I got loads of annual leave to take this year due to not being able to take any holidays, so it's a good excuse to stay up to watch it and take Monday off work.

I'll be supporting Tampa cause that's my team and also it would be an amazing story if Tom Brady wins it at 46 years old or whatever. They weren't expected to do well at the beginning of the season so they're the underdogs too and everyone loves rooting for the underdog right?

Oh, cool, you have a genuine reason for watching and supporting B|

Hmm...tempted to switch teams now o.O

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.