Superbowl!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We watch football. We just don't watch the NFL version of it.

High school and college. They are much more fun and exciting.

I typically will watch the Super Bowl but it is also typically the first NFL game of the season I do watch. If I see a regular season game it's going to be high school or college. Every game I have seen in person also has been high school or college as well. 

• Like 1

I thought the Super Bowl was about the commercials and the half time act.
Are there really people out there supporting for one of the ..eh.. "football" teams*?

I don't know if Eurosport or ESPN has the game live over here (somewhere in the night I guess) but on Dutch TV it will be no more than a 30 seconds item in the morning news shows.

* How on earth could they give that sport that name, while over 90% of the time the ball\egg is played with their hands?  It has way more similarities with rugby, plus having to create a new name for real football, that the rest of the world doesn't use.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

* How on earth could they give that sport that name, while over 90% of the time the ball\egg is played with their hands?  It has way more similarities with rugby, plus having to create a new name for real football, that the rest of the world doesn't use.

Like the game itself, the word “football” has foreign ancestors. Historians trace American football back to two European cousins, soccer and rugby. Both began as kicking games.

Soccer- the most popular sport in the world – was originally known as “association football.” Newspapers seeking a shorter phrase began to refer to it as “assoc.” That name was soon shortened to “soc” and then grew back a bit to “soccer.”

While rugby also began as a football game, in 1823 something occurred that changed the kicking game forever. A player named William Webb Ellis, instead of kicking the ball over the goal line, picked it up and ran it across. At first, observers didn’t know what to think. Eventually, the agreed it was a good idea. The game was played at the Rugby School and became known as rugby football, later shortened to rugby.

Both soccer-style football and rugby-style football eventually found their way to America. What resulted was an American combination of the two games. It wasn't until much later (1906) that forward passing was allowed. So, because the American game was really just another form of the European football games, it too became known as football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I still think American Rugby would nail the game far better than American football.
If you use the word football, in 195 of the totally 196 independent states in the world people will think about:

voetbal-voetbalschoen-26-03-20.jpg

Only Americans think about their rugby variation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm for the Rams! I haven't watched any football in a while and didn't know the Rams were any good. It's also held at the Rams home stadium in Inglewood which is unusual. Usually it's at a neutral city. I haven't been down to Inglewood in years but it was a sketchy neighborhood. I learned to never flip off a car full of gangsters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'US Football' probably would be more accurately called 'US Rugby' as it resembles that sport a lot more than what we call Soccer. I don't really follow it anymore. The Superbowl is generally either a snorefest with little happening or one team totally blowing the other out of the water, or, more rarely, an amazing game with back and forth battles and fought to the very last Hail Mary play. Generally it's pretty apparent which it's going to be by halftime so that's usually when I'll check the summary of the first half and decide if I want to watch the rest real time.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

'US Football' probably would be more accurately called 'US Rugby' as it resembles that sport a lot more than what we call Soccer.

If we mention 'rugby' anywhere near a conversation about US Football, then the Brits blast us for being wimps and needing all that padding.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

If we mention 'rugby' anywhere near a conversation about US Football, then the Brits blast us for being wimps and needing all that padding.  

That's because they don't understand the differences between the two  games and why one has pads and one doesn't..Any rugby player I know does, let alone a lot of the players even over there,that talk about the game do..

My husband used to play rugby pretty hardcore..He loves football.. Myself I like Rugby more... hehehe

On 2/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, Maryanne Solo said:

I think Ram & ALL types of Football do go together well.
The precise physical location of the Ram is the only thing left to debate. 
Pokey.gif.6a3cf9d295a31ec938f62ec03c059cb3.gif

I looked it up and the team was first, The Cleveland Rams.. Someone must have mistaken a sheep for a ram or something.. hehehe

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 7:33 AM, Sid Nagy said:

I thought the Super Bowl was about the commercials and the half time act.
Are there really people out there supporting for one of the ..eh.. "football" teams*?

I don't know if Eurosport or ESPN has the game live over here (somewhere in the night I guess) but on Dutch TV it will be no more than a 30 seconds item in the morning news shows.

The term "football", as applied to American Football, simply derived from the history of the game in the mid 1800s. At that time both Soccer (named came from Association Football, shortened to Association, then shortened AGAIN to Soc, at which point people began adding "er" much like the tenner for a 10 spot) and Rugby.  

When American football was being developed in colleges it resembled Rugby but used a round ball, and was called "football". The name simply stuck.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Sid Nagy said:

I still think American Rugby would nail the game far better than American football.
If you use the word football, in 195 of the totally 196 independent states in the world people will think about:

voetbal-voetbalschoen-26-03-20.jpg

Only Americans think about their rugby variation.

So?   What do you care?   No one is forcing you to watch it. 

I will not be watching this year.  I no longer have access to network TV since my local cable company dropped cable.  I put an antenna up and get a few channels, but not the one the Super Bowl is on.  I am not paying for a streaming service for one game.

I used to get together with friends to watch it, but it was more about an excuse to hang out and drink.  The best part was everyone bringing a themed dish for the areas the two teams playing were from.

I wonder what I would have come up with for Cincinnati and LA.  What foods are they famous for?

Anyway, no Super Bowl for me this year.  I'll quietly root for whichever is the underdog.  It's so much sweeter when they win.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

So?   What do you care?   No one is forcing you to watch it. 

I couldn't even watch it, if I wanted to.
The sport never took of in Europe. They have tried. There was a pro league for a few years. But very little spectators, very little sponsors. So that ended.
I think it is because Europe is a football continent, just like South America. There isn't much room for American Rugby.

And the times a saw a game, when I was in the States to visit family, I found that the pace of the game was too slow to be honest. To many interruptions for my likings. Tactically it is a nice sport though.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:13 AM, Sid Nagy said:

I couldn't even watch it, if I wanted to.
The sport never took of in Europe. They have tried. There was a pro league for a few years. But very little spectators, very little sponsors. So that ended.
I think it is because Europe is a football continent, just like South America. There isn't much room for American Rugby.

And the times a saw a game, when I was in the States to visit family, I found that the pace of the game was too slow to be honest. To many interruptions for my likings. Tactically it is a nice sport though.

I got news for ya.  The NFL is bringing 2 games to Germany this year, and has been playing a couple in London for the last few years already.  In UK there is a big following and the Superbowl will be live on the BBC (with NO ads :D, but lots of chat instead >:().

The way to watch it is to get the 40 minute games from the NFL website - not live but all the delays and ads are taken out, but you see the whole thing, or the Game in 5 minutes, which is just the highlights - but it does mean you can watch a lot of games over coffee on Monday morning:).  

I follow NFL (yeah I know, Brit girl...) because the league is designed to make the games exciting, not to enable one or two clubs to dominate through the cheque-book.  The NFL draft system means that the worst team each year gets the first pick of the best new players.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.