Superbowl!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

From looking it up, It seems it all started with the Rose Bowl Stadium..

why championship football games are called “bowls”.

In 1901, the Roses Association sponsored a college Tournament East-West football game between Michigan and Stanford.  In this game, Stanford quit in the third quarter, being down 49-0.  For the next 15 years, this annual event stopped featuring football, rather featured other events such as chariot racing.  However, in 1916, the Roses Association decided to sponsor a football tournament once again, this time between WSU (then called The State College of Washington) and Brown.  This game was held at Tournament Park in Pasadena, as were subsequent annual matches.  Fast-forward five years and they had need of a stadium to play the game at, with attendance for this tournament having swelled massively.

Myron Hunt was commissioned to design a stadium for this purpose which was completed two years later and named Rose Bowl.  Like many other college football stadiums after, Rose Bowl was modeled after the design of Yale’s stadium, Yale Bowl, which got its name from the fact that it resembled a bowl, much like Rose Bowl.  This tournament sponsored by the Roses Association then was named the “Rose Bowl”, after the stadium.

Gradually other cities and universities with football teams saw the money making opportunities and promotional value of these tournament games and began creating their own “bowl” games, even though many of these games were not played in bowl shaped stadiums.

The NFL eventually borrowed this terminology when they created the Pro Bowl in 1951.  In 1970, the AFL and NFL merged and they created a championship game called the “AFL-NFL World Championship Game”.  This game was called such for two years while the final details of the merger were being worked out.  Upon the third “AFL-NFL World Championship Game” the merger was complete and this championship game was re-branded the “Super Bowl”, after the college naming convention.  This third match-up, being called “Super Bowl III”, also set the tradition of using Roman numerals for the Super Bowl, rather than the year of the game.

I can't believe you typed all that and didn't even mention the Rose Bowl Parade!

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

[sarcastic]

As I predicted on page one, the few posts actually about the Super Bowl broadcast are not about the actual game but about the commercials and the half time act.
I thought it was a sports event.
Seems that American Rugby is just a side order for the halftime show and the commercials.

[/sarcastic]

When we discuss a Champions League final in Europe, it is about the best team, the great moments, the big mistakes, the great passing, a referee decision, all about the game, never about commercials.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

[sarcastic]

As I predicted on page one, the few posts actually about the Super Bowl broadcast are not about the actual game but about the commercials and the half time act.
Seems that American Rugby is just a side order for the halftime show and the commercials.

[/sarcastic]

When we discuss a Champions League final in Europe, it is about the best team, the great moments, the big mistakes, the great passing, a referee decision, all about the game, never about commercials.

Oddly enough I felt it showed less commercials than regular season games typically do. Especially toward the end of the game. There wasn’t that many breaks during the final 2 drives of the game which was surprising. Literally any stoppage goes to commercial during regular season games. They are getting harder and harder to watch and stay into. 

Thank the forces the game worldwide called football over here only has 4 commercial breaks: Straight before the start of  match, two during halftime around short studio analyses and than right after the match. Never during the match, even when it is paused for injuries, player substitution or VAR (Video referee) decisions.
And there are the ad boards around the play field and sponsoring on the shirts of the teams.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

[sarcastic]

[/sarcastic]

This single thread in a niche forum is not representative of the millions of fans that do talk about the game itself and not all the fringe benefits. 

Europeans keep dogging on Americans without ever stopping to remember that their own countries have done just as badly and worse. And had far longer to commit their own stupidities and cruelties in by centuries.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

38 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This single thread in a niche forum is not representative of the millions of fans that do talk about the game itself and not all the fringe benefits. 

Europeans keep dogging on Americans without ever stopping to remember that their own countries have done just as badly and worse. And had far longer to commit their own stupidities and cruelties in by centuries.

Don't take my hog wash in this thread seriously please.
I'm just teasing.

🤪

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nope, I haven't seen Jaws.
When it comes to movies I'm totally out of the loop. Very seldom that I watch one. Last year two or three to give you an idea. This year I saw one so far.

If you like old 70s movies that might scare you bad enough to change your pants and your underwear, watch Jaws. Maybe sit on a towel or something, especially when the guy's head falls out of the bottom of the sinking boat.

Of course, I saw it way back then and it was a lot scarier back then than it is now, but I still won't ever watch it again. lol

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Of course, I saw it way back then and it was a lot scarier back then than it is now, but I still won't ever watch it again. lol

Oh, I like that film. You should totally swing by my place one of these days so we can watch it! Just bring some popcorn and your own towel. 

• Haha 1

Well, I did actually watch the whole game from my recording.  It was, as usual, more hype than sport - not nearly as good as any of the playoffs.  I was happily able to 30x through the chat (no ads on the BBC), and the half-time thingy.

But to be quite honest the 'Game in 5 minutes' on NFL Game Pass showed everything of consequence.  I wish they did 'Game in 5 minutes' for soccer too, I might even get interested.

@Sid NagyI'm with you on what Americans call 'Movies', they can keep them.  Guns with everything >:(

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If you like old 70s movies that might scare you bad enough to change your pants and your underwear, watch Jaws. Maybe sit on a towel or something, especially when the guy's head falls out of the bottom of the sinking boat.

I seen the exorcist when I was like 10 years old..

I hung a cross over my bed that stayed there until I moved out of the house.. hehehehe

24 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I seen the exorcist when I was like 10 years old..

I hung a cross over my bed that stayed there until I moved out of the house.. hehehehe

You were probably one of the kids running around saying TUBULAR! instead of cool. 🙄 Thankfully that didn't last long. lol

Thanks Tubular Bells.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.