New last names?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really want a feature that allows for Community  Naming of avatars.

”Social Acclaim” Version

You pay nothing, any accumulated Warning Points get wiped away and your Friends get to pick a descriptive last name for you that you must keep for a year.

”Restorative Justice” Version

You get all the above as well as an additional bonus “all your vanished inventory is returned to you”. In return, the top three avatars who have filed ARs against you get to pick your last name.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d44b0fdb51cb3b48b4

• Haha 1

I'd like to see names like we used to have, like Sopwith (obviously), Bimbogami, Perl, Liberty and Clowes. Just good, strong-sounding names with various aesthetics. The latest ones are often gimmicky and have obviously been engineered to existing subcultures. I can see why you'd do that, but when I was choosing my name back in the day, I really liked the fact that the names didn't really come with associations and obvious expectations. It just made the whole thing feel more real, somehow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

”Social Acclaim” Version

This sounds like a forum game I'd actually participate in.

... Though I suspect the thread would get locked awfully quickly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'd like to see names like we used to have, like Sopwith (obviously), Bimbogami, Perl, Liberty and Clowes. Just good, strong-sounding names with various aesthetics. The latest ones are often gimmicky and have obviously been engineered to existing subcultures. I can see why you'd do that, but when I was choosing my name back in the day, I really liked the fact that the names didn't really come with associations and obvious expectations. It just made the whole thing feel more real, somehow.

Oh the old ones were quite often obviously pandering. Hax, Dalek, Warf... there's a lot of them. Or just nonsensical like Drinkwater. Or silly like Potato or Dinosaur.

Edited by Cinos Field

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

The latest ones are often gimmicky and have obviously been engineered to existing subcultures. I can see why you'd do that, but when I was choosing my name back in the day, I really liked the fact that the names didn't really come with associations and obvious expectations.

Have you seen my name? *shudder*

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 6:50 AM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Surely we are overdue another unpopular set of new last names?. Has been months since the last update hasn’t it?.

Could be the 40 dollars a pop name change feature didn't quite catch on as they had hoped and they are just letting it linger with the last set of names?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Could be the 40 dollars a pop name change feature didn't quite catch on as they had hoped and they are just letting it linger with the last set of names?

Just based on the forum folks that have done the name change, more opted to pay than I originally expected.

If it's anything like it used to be towards the end of the original last-names, they might not get changed more than once a year. My old name "Luminos" was available for well over a year and there were thousands of us... which is one of the reasons why I didn't want to keep it.

• Like 1

Many thousands of residents have changed their names. Don’t believe me? Pull up the legacy search and start with counting Novas. Also, the idea that the new names are somehow more gimmicky is simply confirmation bias. Names like Takeda, Atheria, Leeder, Hexem, Timmerman, Rowley, Kiyori, Ravenhurst, Ichibara, Dallas, Aurelia and others .... I don’t particularly like any of the names myself but I see zero material difference between the names on offer and typical legacy names.  And silly puns on last names have been a mainstay since time immemorial. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.