Last will

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm inspired by an answer I just read.
My first encounter with death on sl coincident in rl was with a fashion designer, I was in love with her clothes and bought dozens of them (unluckily I can't wear them anymore).

I was genuinely sorry when it happened even though I didn't know her personally.
Death always surprises, even if it is part of your life constantly and you think about it.
Earlier this year a good  rl friend of mine passed away, he was healthy but ***** happened.
I wrote my first last will when I was 33, since then I have updated it every now and then, deleting and fixing, depending on what I want to leave and to whom.

What sort of relationship do you have with death and have you ever written a last will?

Edited by manoji Yachvili
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, manoji Yachvili said:

What sort of relationship do you have with death and have you ever written a last will?

According to our Facebook status, 'it's complicated'.

I don't want not to live, but we all must die eventually and even though I don't 'believe' in anything, I'm curious about what it'll be like. 

As for people who are in Second Life who die, which was discussed recently elsewhere .. Well, it has happened to me. It's been several months since someone stopped coming online, both in-world, here on the forums, and on Discord. Sometimes when that happens, I suppose it may be because a person simply want out, but in her case it certainly feels as if it wasn't the case. 

As far as having a will, I don't. According to the laws here, all my earthly possessions will be left to my parents (minus an inheritance tax). Since I don't really will differently at this point in life, I haven't bothered - although I did quite recently consider putting something in there about my workshop tools and stuff; it's not particularly valuable in pecuniary terms, but some of the things are hard to come by and are really expensive if you want to purchase newly produced ones. I was thinking I'd might want to leave that either to my bestie, although she lives quite far away and some of the stuff weighs like an actual ton; so I might just want to give it to my teacher or his successor, to auction / distribute to other aspirants of our craft. 

Another thing with death and Second Life that I was reminded of recently when I tried to find a park to shoot in, are the cemeteries and memorial sites people have built. I have occasionally thought about producing some form of memorial for the people I've lost here, but I haven't been able to decide in what form or where that should be. 

• Like 1

When i was little,my relationships with death was like i just didnt understood it,it seemed like there was a person with whom i talked today,and later he just fell asleep and will never wake up here,but will be alive somewhere in the skies. 

since some things happened in last 4 months ,i started to edit my last will a lot.  I started to believe that there s nothing behind death and i will not see  me dead like a ghosts in movie. 

everything will be easy like :i will probably delete my avi(because i don t think my sl boss/friend/fluffy cat/etc will use it and not because of she have many alts,lol. Now death for me is a thing,after which evryone will leave me alone. i think i will not be buried in traditional "religious" way.  Nothing more to  think about here.  All  stuff i have probably will go to my german friend. thats it. 

Edited by Panteleeva
  • Like 1

I don't mind dying myself but I do feel sad when I hear or know of someone else who has gone. Even though I feel death is good in many ways, I still feel sad and this strange sense of emptiness. There was an extremely talented sl blogger I followed on flickr. I just loved her pictures. One day it came to me that I hadn't seen anything new posted by her in a few months so I go to check her photostream, and on her most recent picture were all these comments "RIP". I felt extremely sad. I didn't even know her. As I stared at the picture, I just couldn't believe that there would never be any more from her because she is no longer here. 

• Sad 1

By the way when you are dead you are dead so who care about death but before dying several things can happen... such as remaing for a long time in a comatose state,   so perhaps it is better to relieve the fatigue of those who remain concerning burocrazy.
Obviously then all my things will go to my husband but I'm glad to be able to decide on time that some little things  will go to my friends, to give them the opportunity to feel close in some way even physically, not only with thoughts.
I don't care about fb, I've deleted in time my account after that three friends of mine are dead and I found terrible that  parents or brothers they kept posting and then every year fb reminded me of their birthdays or the things we had done together and about sl my avi gonna die with me

I've had many close call encounters with it to the point I don't fear it but do fully embrace it.  My most recent one was in 2016 on my way home fron therapy at the end of the year, the roads were slippery but usually that isn't a problem, we rolled (my mom and I) the jeep, slamed against a rock wall and and went into a ditch.

That incident threw my dog out of the car, he was roaming the woods for nearly a month before wandering up to someone wanting to go home, I couldn't retrain him so I retired him and rehomed him.

I should of died in that accident.  The passanger side took a lot more damage than the drivers, I should of.   My face was horribly bruised and the hospital kept me for almost a week because my blood sugar wouldn't come down due to stress (Of course it wasn't going to, I was more concerned for my dog than myself.) Fourth day they finally let me out despite the result because I refused to be put on insulin.

I actually do think I did die for a moment, I lost consciousness and was told it wasn't time.  So what I know is from pictures and what I was told, this last bit has never been told to anyone.

I don't have a will written up, I've made it clear that a lot of things are to be just donated while what I've always held close to be. Buried with me or have an alter set up with them and my ashes should someone keep me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eseme Nova said:

I don't have a will written up, I've made it clear that a lot of things are to be just donated while what I've always held close to be. Buried with me or have an alter set up with them and my ashes should someone keep me.

Unless you want all that stuff to be in probate court for years as people fight over/for it you need to write it down and notarize it.  When my husband passed away he had just opened an account and there was 20k I could nto touch because I was not listed as payout on it. He had the papers on the table he was going to return on Friday, he died on a Wednesday.  So, do not think that because you expressed your wishes that things will go that way. But then again, you will be dead so what do you care.

• Like 1

In the state I live in, everything automatically passes to the spouse unless specified otherwise in a will.  For financial accounts, you must actually get the spouse to sign off on it if you want to name a different primary beneficiary.  So our will is mostly to specify what happens if the spouse is no longer living. 

This conversation (well, mainly the one from yesterday) does make me realize that our wills do need updating.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

I have a RL will.  But that doesn't seem to me to be the right vehicle to cover all my online activities.  I have accounts and passwords all over the damn place, and quite a few of them have financial aspects.  Things I pay an ongoing subscription for.  Credit card accounts.  Brokerage accounts.  SL. Social media accounts.

So a while back I sat down and wrote up a long document covering all this stuff, so whoever gets stuck with cleaning up the mess has some guidance.  The instructions are in some cases quite detailed, because it is not a sure bet that the Designated Janitor will have any online skills.

I update it every year or so.

• Like 3

I should make a will for the simple reason that if you die intestate in my housing complex, your relatives cannot come in to get your stuff until they have a court decision. So that's really unkind. It's also a good reason to get stuff sorted so they don't have to.

I don't have hardly any worldly possessions so it's almost not really worth paying the $500 I might have to pay except for that factor. I have some books signed by some famous authors I translated. And...as I said, some books. Lots of them. LOL

In SL, I may have things I value more than even RL things, they are prettier. However, I hope I won't be spending the afterlife inside SL. I also think my son who is in SL but doesn't like it much is going to want to bother with any of this.

The good news is that when I die, and you are renting from me, you will have 30 days before the Lindens take the sim away. 60 even on some of them. So remain calm. They don't get to all these chores immediately, you might stretch it out for awhile. Please don't make the Lindens try to keep any of my sims or builds and make them pay for it. 

That's about it, folks. As Nikolai Ostrovsky said in "How the Steel Was Tempered"

Жизнь дается всего один раз, и прожить ее надо так, чтобы не было мучительно больно за бесцельно прожитые годы, чтобы не жег позор за подленькое прошлое.

• Like 1

I have had brushes with death, from being a sickly baby to motorists who don't understand how zebra crossings and traffic lights work. To struggling with sucidal  thoughts?

I have also lost dear friends in sl and family in rl. The very first death in my inner family even occured just a few days after i had joined sl on my first long deleted account.

I don't really have much to really make a will with. Being a disabled millennial who graduated from a tech  just as the big golbal  housing market crash means I  have no real savings.
But I am going to furtherwork on documents on alerting those i love online and canceling the few subscription sevices i have.

My biggest worry is that when I die, Will my family respect my wishes and bury me under my real name and gender. Or continue to misgender me dven to the grave.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

My biggest worry is that when I die, Will my family respect my wishes

to prevent these worries in the Netherlands you can appoint a non family member/ solicitor or notary to be excecutor of the last will.
Perhaps have a look if thats possible.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Eseme Nova said:

I've had many close call encounters with it to the point I don't fear it but do fully embrace it.  My most recent one was in 2016 on my way home fron therapy at the end of the year, the roads were slippery but usually that isn't a problem, we rolled (my mom and I) the jeep, slamed against a rock wall and and went into a ditch.

That incident threw my dog out of the car, he was roaming the woods for nearly a month before wandering up to someone wanting to go home, I couldn't retrain him so I retired him and rehomed him.

I should of died in that accident.  The passanger side took a lot more damage than the drivers, I should of.   My face was horribly bruised and the hospital kept me for almost a week because my blood sugar wouldn't come down due to stress (Of course it wasn't going to, I was more concerned for my dog than myself.) Fourth day they finally let me out despite the result because I refused to be put on insulin.

I actually do think I did die for a moment, I lost consciousness and was told it wasn't time.  So what I know is from pictures and what I was told, this last bit has never been told to anyone.

glad that your story have had a happy ending 😊

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Жизнь дается всего один раз, и прожить ее надо так, чтобы не было мучительно больно за бесцельно прожитые годы, чтобы не жег позор за подленькое прошлое.

love this quote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.