Political Ads No Longer Allowed on Your Land

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Nick0678 said:

So the message is the same regardless of the country, political party or whatever. Pizza is amazing and makes people happy more than politics.

Now to start a real fight:  Which pizza recipe is the best?  (Doesn't matter because they can co-exist peacefully allowing choice to the individual.)

I suspect this advertising policy change is driven by real world legislation requiring documenting of who pays for the advertisements, as suggested by Theresa Tennyson.

Personally, I also suspect it is to throttle time-consuming customer service and Governance issues.  I am guessing the advertising that will be removed is that which is regulated by law in such a way that cannot be complied with in SL without onerous data collection and verification.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Now to start a real fight:  Which pizza recipe is the best? 

I am a traditional man so for me it would be one with pepperoni, ham, tomato, gouda, sausages but i am also a bit of an anarchist so add some green pepper and mushrooms and bacon . That should be enough.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Long as they all keep off mah grass, nobody'll get peppered in the Azz!

Here lately, whenever I go to the dispensary, I've been pulling the masked bandit bit. I hold my hands up like they were pistols and loudly proclaim, "This is a stick up! Give me all your dope!" Of course that is after I have already paid for my order.

So far, the best come back has been "You can have 3/4s of it but we (the employees) get the rest."

lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MelodicRain said:

Imagine being bored enough to care about American politics in SL, the one place that should be free of that bull*****. Should we also introduce disease, permadeath and air pollution in SL too?

We have two of those three as opt-in experiences! People like different things. :P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

ever done a search (especially under groups) for the N-word?

I tried it.  The results were something like, "Whoops!  It appears you're searching for something outside our Terms of Service".

Since the ToS specifically prohibits hate speech, I think LL's actually being pretty consistent here.  You wanna shout the N-word?  Do it on your blog.  (Not YOU you, Scylla, I mean a generic "you".)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I tried it.  The results were something like, "Whoops!  It appears you're searching for something outside our Terms of Service".

Since the ToS specifically prohibits hate speech, I think LL's actually being pretty consistent here.  You wanna shout the N-word?  Do it on your blog.  (Not YOU you, Scylla, I mean a generic "you".)

Not sure where you tried it, Lindal, but an in-world search netted me something like a hundred hits, with groups described in some extremely graphic (and extremely racist) language. One group that I particularly remember was named "Black Lives Don't Matter," and their description concluded with about 6 pointless repetitions of the N-word. That was a small group, as I recall, but there were lots of others that weren't.

It's not so much that LL is inconsistent, I suspect. It's rather that the mechanisms for handling this kind of thing are inadequate to the task. They really lean on ARs for this kind of thing.

That said, I suspect that if I AR'ed these groups, at least some of them would disappear, eventually . . . but I bet there would be others (especially the sex and RP groups) that wouldn't.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not sure where you tried it, Lindal, but an in-world search netted me something like a hundred hits, with groups described in some extremely graphic (and extremely racist) language. One group that I particularly remember was named "Black Lives Don't Matter," and their description concluded with about 6 pointless repetitions of the N-word. That was a small group, as I recall, but there were lots of others that weren't.

It's not so much that LL is inconsistent, I suspect. It's rather that the mechanisms for handling this kind of thing are inadequate to the task. They really lean on ARs for this kind of thing.

That said, I suspect that if I AR'ed these groups, at least some of them would disappear, eventually . . . but I bet there would be others (especially the sex and RP groups) that wouldn't.

I tried it just now, in world, with G,M,A checked in Search.  I used the Websearch tab, with Groups selected as the search category.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I can't help wondering where the staff are being found to cope with this new round of ARables, given the pitifully small resources so far available to cope with everything else.

Well according to what they say it's for ad farms etc so not really that much work to do. Anyway i think it's a good thing although the majority of mainland will always be a pixel dumpster regardless of LL decent efforts. Been that way for more than a decade.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.