Political Ads No Longer Allowed on Your Land

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Is that how "political activism" is done the American way?

Seriously, there are people from dozens of nations in SL. Imagine how it would look if everybody were using it as a platform for their political propaganda. Then add members of other activist groups of all kinds.

Yes its a terrible possibility isn't it? Someone might post a "free Hong Kong" sign, or a sign denouncing the genocide against the Uighurs.

Yes its much better if everyone just shuts up and continues playing doll dress up.

• Haha 3

I'm happy to see that LL's taking steps to distance SL from often-divisive politics and I fully support the idea / intent

But I second what someone said in the thread that because what's political and what's not can be very ambiguous, I really don't think LL should implement this new rule (or at least not have it worded as broadly)

Especially when a lot of SL's own released content / post / communication are sometimes political in nature, we really risk having a substantial portion of our Residents feeling alienated if they feel like they're not allowed to express their political opinion while LL / SL as a platform do so themselves

Edit: I read someone said the new rule only applies to Ad Farms, not sure if that's true or not when reading the Wiki page and how they're worded

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i don't get or even believe that Linden said 'politics' in this broader meaning of the word. I think they meant 'electioneering' as in real world election campaign billboards and hoardings. And if this is so then Linden need to say so  

I hope that's what they meant, they should make it clearer like you said if that's the case

Edited by lucagrabacr
adding details
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Slightly misleading topic. They're no longer allowed on ad farms. Presumably still on other lands, though.

It was a rather big hammer to use just to get rid of my 47 Trump 2020 signs.

My ads were totally conforming in every way, and yet I'm sure (based on my hate ims) that they generated a lot of ARs. So  finally, some bright star in LL said, hey, lets just ban political ads on ad farms.

Bingo, problem solved.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Honest opinion, I'd rather have divisive(Using this word as in how political ads are divisive in general, not saying a specific side) ads than it being unclear on what is/is not allowed on land now.

If I see a ad I don't like, I just ignore it. No biggie, I can control where I look.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

2 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Can't say I care much if they ban political ads. But I'd much prefer they add a de-render feature to SL viewer so we can block whatever we find objectionable for ourselves. 

You can already do this. You can de render anyone or anything temporarily or permanently

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SarahMelisse said:

Trump love-hate road sign on Route 1, Heterocera. Different people own the land on each side. Location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Menophra/168/129/34

50084213078_50416664bf_c.jpg

Yes, isn't free speech great? Someone was offended by my Trump support, so they put their own offering on their land. As long as they were not encroaching, I had no problem with it.

As an aside, that's why I always bought parcels with two sides facing LL right of ways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

This might also be connected to various laws regarding on-line political advertising:

https://www.thecampaignworkshop.com/political-digital-ads-laws

I doubt that applies to my parcels. I wasn't selling advertising, I was simply expressing my personal opinion on the 2020 election. A sign on my front yard as it were.

So I have 47 front yards.

*shrugs*

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed had to have
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I doubt that applies to my parcels. I wasn't selling advertising, I was simply expressing my personal opinion on the 2020 election. A sign on my front yard as it were.

So I have 47 front yards.

*shrugs*

You wouldn't be selling political ads, Linden Lab would be. You are paying them; your use is conforming to regulations specifically meant for advertising; and your advertising lots can't be practically used for anything other than advertising.

6 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You wouldn't be selling political ads, Linden Lab would be. You are paying them; your use is conforming to regulations specifically meant for advertising; and your advertising lots can't be practically used for anything other than advertising.

*deleted*

You might be right and  I can't be bothered to argue it.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
  • Confused 1

For the political thing, I agree upon this 100% that we shouldn't have ads or any form of propaganda in SL considering it is based upon ideals of creativity, socialization, etc. in a good environment; make of it as you will.

I get free-speech and expression is a necessity and something that should not be put down, but when it comes to politics in the world we live in today (2020), it seems to be hell from people getting 'offended' or downright hateful about one thing or another with that subject. 

I'd say it's just best to leave it at the door. That's my two cents!

Edited by Ignis Dismantled
Forgot to add a few pointers.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

I am not into politics in SL, as I try to escape it enough in the real world, but let me pose a hypothetical question...

If someone were to create a fake political sign with a fake name, but it mimicked the likeness of a real sign, does that still count as a violation? 

I think that type of sign would need to be AR’d and let Governance decide if it’s in good fun or has ulterior motives?

• Confused 1

1. It's a free country -- with a free market. If Linden Lab dictated that every parcel must prominently display a campaign ad for Enver Hoxha, that's their business decision and there's nothing to stop them. Don't like it? Go play Minecraft.
  2. It's been proven over and over that in-world ads are utterly ineffective, whether they're for political campaigns, mesh genitals, or virtual real estate. In terms of persuasion, they're not worth the pixels they're written on. Nobody is going to switch allegiances on the endorsement of an adfarmer.
  3. They are, however, effective for trolling. Enough Trump ads would surely get out some votes for Biden, and vice versa.
  4. Not all political expression is political advertising, and there are few serious topics that aren't politically charged now. Some constructive expressions of those topics might showcase Second Life's value. Imagine a scripted 3D demonstration of droplet vs aerosol spread of COVID-19 virus particles, with and without a mask, perhaps. Or a detailed staging of recent tragic events in Kenosha. And etc. Pretty sure these aren't banned, but on the other hand, the Lab would face real Sheryl Sandberg calibre problems if the content were based on, say, Qanon conspiracy theories or boojahideen dezinformatsiya.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, well, I got griefed with anti-Trudeau propaganda

Who is that, never mind i don't care anyway.

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Enver Hoxha lives on!

I will leave that to the Albanians to worry about (i 'm pretty sure they don't these days).

---

So the message is the same regardless of the country, political party or whatever. Pizza is amazing and makes people happy more than politics.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.