Political Ads No Longer Allowed on Your Land

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 hours ago, Mollymews said:

a thing. You are artifying for sale micro parcels. If it was about expression only then they wouldn't be set for sale

Artifying for sale micro parcels has been all over since TPV derender. So you are pretty much wasting your time with the artifying. If you do actually want to sell them then stick a tree on them with a little for sale sign underneath

Yeah, I've watched this morph into "buy my extortion-priced land" into "buy my trump sign land".

There is a long history of the use of political signage in SL to grief people in the hopes that PC Lindens will let it pass.

25 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So if this is really a new rule, I'll try abuse-reporting a ginormous "BLACK LIVES MATTER" sign many stories tall, with multiple other signs, which then prompted someone across from it to respond to this giant sign with an "ALL LIVES MATTER".

I personally support "Black Lives Matter," except for violence and looting, and don't think "All Lives Matters" is any kind of valid counterargument, but what this original BLM sign is really about is trying to force a land sale. If I didn't know the months of back story here, I might think it was authentic.

The owner of this land first tried everything possible to force me to sell parcels of my land adjacent to hers that she felt she absolutely had to have. Since they were rented or likely to be rented, I didn't wish to sell them. I didn't like her ban lines and builds. She harassed my tenants endlessly, trying to get this sale. Then she gave up, and put her own land to sale at a ridiculous price, thinking this would force me to "buy off the nuisance". But I never give in to blackmail like this so I ignored her. She then tried off and on, building on her land, renting it, putting it to sale. 

All of a sudden, just recently -- months after the BLM marches began -- she got religion and put up these giant signs. At this point in time this land she has repeatedly tried to sell for a high price is off sale, with this giant sign. Curious to use waterfront this way.

It's like the "Impeach Bush" guy of yesteryear -- he realized it was a great way both to force a land sale, get attention, and be a nuisance. So I put up a billboard with a picture, something I actually disallow on my land, because I don't think you should blight the view for miles and annoy neighbours with giant 64 m signs. That's not self-expression, it's just griefing, in the hopes that Lindens will be so PC they will let it pass. Let's put that to the test!

I ARed a 64 by 64 BLM sign across the road from my home. I used "object littering" as the option.

A few days later it was gone.

Co-incidence? Maybe, but either way it was gone and didn't return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So, I finally finished either setting my Trump 2020 parcels for sale, or repurposing them to advertise my own SL activities.

Since my inventory is ordered from newest to oldest, the lm at the bottom of the Trump 2020 folder was the oldest, the very first one.

I thought I'd do something different with it.

I don't think the message is political, it simply refers to a basic right, the right to free speech, the right to self expression.

censored3.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I am curious to know if putting “Putin for president” would be returned also. If you are feeling adventurous you could test “Kim Jong Un for world leader”. Or maybe I’m just trying to incite trolling and should be quiet and go back to my corner and stop risking the hammer of the gods falling on me.

• 1 month later...

I wonder is that BAN would include the Inside of say a bar or pub? As wrong as I think this is as long as they apply it across the board and not like Twitter and Facebook only directed at one side. I know a number of hangouts bars pubs clubs that are based on Political interests. Will they go as far as to prevent us from decorating the insides of our buildings?  Will they try to close down Groups that are Political in nature? Public display on your own property is wrong but understandable in SL But if they take if further they will do more Harm then Good.

37 minutes ago, masterperry said:

I wonder is that BAN would include the Inside of say a bar or pub? As wrong as I think this is as long as they apply it across the board and not like Twitter and Facebook only directed at one side. I know a number of hangouts bars pubs clubs that are based on Political interests. Will they go as far as to prevent us from decorating the insides of our buildings?  Will they try to close down Groups that are Political in nature? Public display on your own property is wrong but understandable in SL But if they take if further they will do more Harm then Good.

Simply: No.

In more depth, look at this newer topic with less chatter, it has all the necessary and valid info:

The point is, if they are individual places and the political theme isn't meant for large-scale (networked) advertisement, it is fine. It is this set of rules (also linked in that other topic) that has anything regarding political ads, and started these topics:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers#Advertising_rules_and_restrictions

While I support freedom of speech, I understand that this is best experienced by people with open minds, not by people already convinced that their opinion is the only right one. We are all individuals with our own opinions, and we need to respect that. It's important to recognize that - if we are compelled to do so - we are more likely to impact someone else's opinion by listening to them and speaking with them, not by planting a sign. The size of the sign is unimportant; small or large it is unlikely to change anyone else's opinion.  

Because SL residents come from all over the world, signs about particular parties or candidates may often be meaningless. For example, people outside Bolivia may not recognize Jeanine Áñez; people outside Thailand may not recognize Prayut Chan-o-cha, and outside USA may not recognize Trump. Rather than signs supporting politicians, it's likely more effective to display signs supporting political theories, e.g. human rights, press freedom, feeding the hungry, etc. For anyone who feels they must plant a sign, plant one that mentions morals and ethics you believe in, not a sign with someone else's name. Signs supporting any particular candidates or parties may be planted proudly by a property owner who identifies with them, but to outsiders these people are sometimes perceived as trolls. This is true no matter the candidate or intention of the sign.

Politics are just one small aspect of our experience as human beings. We have many more commonalities than differences. It seems logical then to focus on our commonalities, on things that bring us together rather than separate us. Having said that, I have to admit that when I see signs on a business that oppose my own point of view I am disappointed and am unlikely to support that business. I don't want to drop Lindens in the pocket of someone who may be working to destroy good as I define it. Maybe economics alone is a good reason for people to not have signs promoting a party or candidate.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Waiomao said:

While I support freedom of speech, I understand that this is best experienced by people with open minds, not by people already convinced that their opinion is the only right one. We are all individuals with our own opinions, and we need to respect that. It's important to recognize that - if we are compelled to do so - we are more likely to impact someone else's opinion by listening to them and speaking with them, not by planting a sign. The size of the sign is unimportant; small or large it is unlikely to change anyone else's opinion.  

Because SL residents come from all over the world, signs about particular parties or candidates may often be meaningless. For example, people outside Bolivia may not recognize Jeanine Áñez; people outside Thailand may not recognize Prayut Chan-o-cha, and outside USA may not recognize Trump. Rather than signs supporting politicians, it's likely more effective to display signs supporting political theories, e.g. human rights, press freedom, feeding the hungry, etc. For anyone who feels they must plant a sign, plant one that mentions morals and ethics you believe in, not a sign with someone else's name. Signs supporting any particular candidates or parties may be planted proudly by a property owner who identifies with them, but to outsiders these people are sometimes perceived as trolls. This is true no matter the candidate or intention of the sign.

Politics are just one small aspect of our experience as human beings. We have many more commonalities than differences. It seems logical then to focus on our commonalities, on things that bring us together rather than separate us. Having said that, I have to admit that when I see signs on a business that oppose my own point of view I am disappointed and am unlikely to support that business. I don't want to drop Lindens in the pocket of someone who may be working to destroy good as I define it. Maybe economics alone is a good reason for people to not have signs promoting a party or candidate.

Problem is, here in the US, there's a lot of racism, homophobia, and religious fanaticism masquerading as morality and politics.  Expressing such sentiments in game would be a clear violation of the TOS.  Ergo, said adherents to these philosophies erroneously feel their free speech is being trampled on.

And yeah, I've been in the middle of filling up my cart on the Marketplace with tons of goodies from a new favorite merchant, only to come across something offensive and decide to empty my cart.  The latest thing I've come across on the Marketplace are dead black men hanging by ropes around their necks from trees, under the guise of "Halloween decorations".  People are sick.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

erroneously feel their free speech is being trampled on

To be fair, they're not in error. At least in the US, free speech is free speech, no matter what it is you're saying.

What people actually get wrong is who is allowed to censor you, and where.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.