Political Ads No Longer Allowed on Your Land

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

53 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I tried it just now, in world, with G,M,A checked in Search.  I used the Websearch tab, with Groups selected as the search category.

Not sure why I can find them and you can't, but I just checked again, and they're still all there.

HERE is an interesting thing, though. I just tried to post a screenshot of one of the group profiles, with the nasty bits redacted . . . and the forum software wouldn't let me. In fact, the post is still there -- I can see it -- but it's marked as "hidden." This happened literally the minute that I hit post.

WTF?

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Politics is the national sport everywhere except in places like these...

Have you been everywhere?

I live in the country that is ranked as no. 1 on the EIU Democracy Index and the very concept of politics as a blood sport is totally alien to me.

Of course, I don't know how things really are in USA or UK. Maybe the reality there is far more sensible than what we see on the internet.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I concur with your WTF!  Did you use the actual N-word, or some euphemism, like "N-word"?

For the in-world search, I used the actual word. And also, the actual word with an "-a" at the end, which actually gets even more hits.

In my hidden post, the only potential trigger word is the censored form, "n-word." I can't figure out how or why it got "hidden." Except the image, but how would the software know?

It's eerily as though someone saw my post before I hit submit, and then throttled it.

I would suggest they allow a limited selection of authorized signage for those wishing to fly their flag.

No mod no copy, no slogans, set in size that can only be obtained from the SLM for L$10,000 each with all proceeds going to an agreeable nonpolitical 3rd party (like a cat sanctuary / children's cancer charity).

Signs could be scripted to allow the owner to pick from a selection of LL determined images, including one entirely nonpolitical option just for the target charity. Make them all revert to the charity image the day after the election (by changing the actual server side asset) and cease to be interactive.

All other political signage can be reported & removed.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:41 PM, ChinRey said:

Have you been everywhere?

I live in the country that is ranked as no. 1 on the EIU Democracy Index and the very concept of politics as a blood sport is totally alien to me.

Of course, I don't know how things really are in USA or UK. Maybe the reality there is far more sensible than what we see on the internet.

Especially when it comes to SL you will see plenty of funny stuff (that defy any logic)..

Was looking today at the SL house of a person who is a Canadian living in Canada and has a nice Canadian flag outside their house and banners of U.S.A politicians inside their living room. Who knows maybe people who are from Sweden have banners of King Harald of Norway next to their pillow.

You can't take people in SL seriously on such stuff, that would simply be a waste of time so it's best to just ignore any Real World political nonsense.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

So in today's Concierge & Land User Group we were told that political ads on your land are no longer allowed due to a rules change as of today.

Apparently there are people having Trump & Biden sign wars as well as posting them along the Linden roads.

Thoughts?

IBTL 😆

There are way more Trump than Biden ads (I'm going to vote for Biden, so I view this as offensive). My God, I even saw a huge billboard for Nigel Farage. But it is an eyesore and is so unnecessary. No one is going to be persuaded to vote for some politician because they saw a sign in a virtual world. It's self-expression, not persuasive. The First Amendment does not apply in Second Life as Linden Lab can control speech as they wish. I think their control is excessive, for example I oppose their requirement not to mention businesses by name in complaints on the forums (I think publicity is the only way you get good behaviour in an authoritarian society without the rule of law). But it's their game, what can you do. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 12:19 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

There are way more Trump than Biden ads (I'm going to vote for Biden, so I view this as offensive). My God, I even saw a huge billboard for Nigel Farage. But it is an eyesore and is so unnecessary. No one is going to be persuaded to vote for some politician because they saw a sign in a virtual world. It's self-expression, not persuasive. The First Amendment does not apply in Second Life as Linden Lab can control speech as they wish. I think their control is excessive, for example I oppose their requirement not to mention businesses by name in complaints on the forums (I think publicity is the only way you get good behaviour in an authoritarian society without the rule of law). But it's their game, what can you do. 

Self expression eh? What an amazing concept for Linden Lab to embrace. 

I've decided that since I have the parcels anyway, I should use most of them  to advertise my inworld presence.

And of course, my new construct follows all the rules for networked advertising.

Will it please everyone? 

That's impossible.

The parcels won't be for sale, but neighbors are always free to make an offer to buy the land, or AR the signs as a local eyesore.

Does a build that offends ones sense of style and esthetic constitute an ARable offence?

It's not, but if you say yes, then a private estate or a LL home continent is the place you need to be.

Some might even call it modern art 😁

blankad.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Some might even call it modern art 😁

blankad.png

i think you are trolling now, because you are little bit miffed at what Linden did

47 parcels within view of a public right-of-way. As a owner of such a thing what I would be thinking about is how I can get these parcels to pay for themselves. Like who would pay me to stick their stuff on all my signs ?

i would call it: Fabulously Famous In SL Network. I will post your photo on my network all over the mainland for a fee. And when people touch your picture then it will give them a notecard all about why you are sufficiently Fabulously Famous even to be on my network

basically if I am going to troll everyone, the troll is going to be so fabulous then will be people lined up in a long queue, going pick me pick me ! Please take my money! All wanting to be known mainland-wide as Fabulously Famous as decided by me, Molly !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i think you are trolling now, because you are little bit miffed at what Linden did

47 parcels within view of a public right-of-way. As a owner of such a thing what I would be thinking about is how I can get these parcels to pay for themselves. Like who would pay me to stick their stuff on all my signs ?

i would call it: Fabulously Famous In SL Network. I will post your photo on my network all over the mainland for a fee. And when people touch your picture then it will give them a notecard all about why you are sufficiently Fabulously Famous even to be on my network

basically if I am going to troll everyone, the troll is going to be so fabulous then will be people lined up in a long queue, going pick me pick me ! Please take my money! All wanting to be known mainland-wide as Fabulously Famous as decided by me, Molly !

Go for it.

I was going to add to my post responding to Provosky, but since you replied I'll say it here.

Provosky said my signs are simply self-expression.

<<"No one is going to be persuaded to vote for some politician because they saw a sign in a virtual world. It's self-expression, not persuasive.">>

And he's 100% correct. I used my parcels for self expression to express my support of Trump. I didn't think anyone would say, wow, that clenches it for me, I'm voting for Trump 

So with my signs gone, who else had their freedom of expression restricted?

I'm sure 99% of the people that saw my signs (if the textures even loaded before they moved on) couldn't have cared less.

Of the rest,

some submitted an AR,

some put up anti-Trump protest signs, 

some put up signs supporting their preferred candidate,

some IMed me thanking me for posting the signs,

some IMed me with genuine curiosity asking why the signs were there

and some just sent me hate filled IMs.

But you know what? In every case, all those person's freedom of expression has now been diminished, because they cannot engage with something that no longer exists.

Thus Second Life as a whole is diminished, and made less than it could be.

p.s. most of the anti trump signs are on non networked advertising parcels, so they are still there. I wouldn't AR them anyway, because I respect the promise of Second Life. Unfortunately, too many people don't.

p.p.s, Have a nice life Molly, I hope SL can be everything you want it to be

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed stuff
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Go for it.

When you call someone a troll, you lose.

I was going to add to my post responding to Provosky, but since you replied I'll say it here.

Provosky said my signs are simply my freedom of expression

a thing. You are artifying for sale micro parcels. If it was about expression only then they wouldn't be set for sale

Artifying for sale micro parcels has been all over since TPV derender. So you are pretty much wasting your time with the artifying. If you do actually want to sell them then stick a tree on them with a little for sale sign underneath

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

a thing. You are artifying for sale micro parcels. If it was about expression only then they wouldn't be set for sale

Artifying for sale micro parcels has been all over since TPV derender. So you are pretty much wasting your time with the artifying. If you do actually want to sell them then stick a tree on them with a little for sale sign underneath

I'm only selling the less desirable ones. The premium locations where I will put my ads are being removed from sale when the (for now bare) ad structure goes up.

So, some of the parcels will be an ad farm (small tasteful signs of course),

and the rest will be networked advertising.

Both will of course be within the rules for such things.

Thank you for your input and suggestions. 

Oh, I have a great idea for how LL can get rid of networked advertising once and for all, but I'll start a new thread for that.  I'm sure it will garner a lot of support from the forum residents

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm only selling the less desirable ones. The premium locations where I will put my ads are no longer for sale.

So, some of the parcels will be an ad farm (small tasteful signs of course),

and the rest will be networked advertising.

Both will of course be within the rules for such things.

Thank you for your input and suggestions. 

is all good.  Don't let what happened to you mess you up

i was only kind of half-joking about the Fabulously Famous Network. I think done well it could pay

think about Prokofy's Annual FIC list back in the day. Everybody who wanted to be Famous in SL rushed to see if they had made that year's list

not saying that such a network need go down the FIC path. It could be done as quite a good thing

• Like 1

So if this is really a new rule, I'll try abuse-reporting a ginormous "BLACK LIVES MATTER" sign many stories tall, with multiple other signs, which then prompted someone across from it to respond to this giant sign with an "ALL LIVES MATTER".

I personally support "Black Lives Matter," except for violence and looting, and don't think "All Lives Matters" is any kind of valid counterargument, but what this original BLM sign is really about is trying to force a land sale. If I didn't know the months of back story here, I might think it was authentic.

The owner of this land first tried everything possible to force me to sell parcels of my land adjacent to hers that she felt she absolutely had to have. Since they were rented or likely to be rented, I didn't wish to sell them. I didn't like her ban lines and builds. She harassed my tenants endlessly, trying to get this sale. Then she gave up, and put her own land to sale at a ridiculous price, thinking this would force me to "buy off the nuisance". But I never give in to blackmail like this so I ignored her. She then tried off and on, building on her land, renting it, putting it to sale. 

All of a sudden, just recently -- months after the BLM marches began -- she got religion and put up these giant signs. At this point in time this land she has repeatedly tried to sell for a high price is off sale, with this giant sign. Curious to use waterfront this way.

It's like the "Impeach Bush" guy of yesteryear -- he realized it was a great way both to force a land sale, get attention, and be a nuisance. So I put up a billboard with a picture, something I actually disallow on my land, because I don't think you should blight the view for miles and annoy neighbours with giant 64 m signs. That's not self-expression, it's just griefing, in the hopes that Lindens will be so PC they will let it pass. Let's put that to the test!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.