NEW THEME!! Beachy/Summery?

Nika Talaj
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, AlyceAdrift said:

Any idea when the beach houses will be released? I'm excitedly waiting!

I think it was stated somewhere that the migration to the cloud would finish up this fall -- which means it will really finish sometime later.  The release will then happen sometime after that.  Maybe we'll get the release for the holidays.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think it was stated somewhere that the migration to the cloud would finish up this fall -- which means it will really finish sometime later.  The release will then happen sometime after that.  Maybe we'll get the release for the holidays.

That'd be nice. A beach house to live in when winter hits. Talk about going south for the summer 😂

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Halloween or Christmas holidays ? 

Patch Linden actually confirmed this week the status of the upcoming LH themes 6, 7, 8 and 9. 

Theme 6

• Theme 6 officially announced on 23rd June – Stilt homes
  • The Stilt homes are basically done and ready for deployment
  • The lab don’t have have the region capacity to release them right now. The lab are aiming at after the AWS project completes when region capacity becomes available later this year

Theme 7

• Theme 7 is nearly content complete
  • Not set up for deployment yet 

Theme 8

• Getting ready to enter production

Theme 9

• Getting ready to enter production

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

36 minutes ago, xViXeNx71 said:

Not anytime soon, probably late fall/early winter

I would imagine the next theme announcement would be at the SL Christmas Expo 2020. It could be sooner if the move to the cloud completes before then.

Until then it's going to be a long wait for the release of the new Stilt homes (theme 6) release. I predict between October - December for the estimated timeframe.

2021 will be hopefully back to normal again with the release of new regions/themes. Thousands of new homes planned and new interesting areas.  

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Soooo.... If the SL servers are outdated and maxed, the move to the cloud should improve the user experience. Is that correct? (Since I've heard otherwise.)

Edit: Patch partially answered this question in group chat. He is looking for an improvement in region crossings. I don't know if there is anything else to add.

I think the more noticeable changes won't happen until well after the port to the cloud is complete.  Initially SL will be confined within a single cloud "centre", so presumably the network architecture won't be dramatically different from what it is currently.  Downstream, I've heard talk of homing avatars and, possibly, regions to an edge of the cloud which is closer to the geographical location of their typists.  Although that sounds great, I'm sure that would increase latencies at surprising moments, so the effects of it will have to be studied.  Being in a cloud also should make porting essential services to newer SQL packages, for example, much more feasible, with redundancy and shadowing services built into the cloud.   Basically, the cloud should eventually enable growth and stability that were previously impossible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, AlyceAdrift said:

Any idea when the beach houses will be released? I'm excitedly waiting!

It won't be until they've done the cloud stuff and have the capacity to create the region's needed. By the time they come out later in the year I reckon I'll fancy a change of scenery the more I've demoed the new theme the more I'm drawn having the green bungalow style on a pier, I could tolerate a partial water lot but wouldn't want a standalone water lot with no land connection

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

It won't be until they've done the cloud stuff and have the capacity to create the region's needed. By the time they come out later in the year I reckon I'll fancy a change of scenery the more I've demoed the new theme the more I'm drawn having the green bungalow style on a pier, I could tolerate a partial water lot but wouldn't want a standalone water lot with no land connection

The alt I have that go off Premium first, does so one week out in November. I hope they are released before that.

The move to Cloud can go fast and painless, or it can be all sort of unexpected things happening. No one really knows. Has any business so big and with so much user-made content as LL done it before? Maybe I worry too much.

• Like 2

I don't recall the exact wording from Patch's interview, but if I remember correctly, he said that we *might* get two themes (stilt homes and the next one) released in the winter. (I think it was near the end of the interview, if anyone wants to go back and have a listen.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

I just hope my inventory stays intact. 😂

Oz Linden, via Inara Pey:

• All of the inventory databases were successfully moved several months ago – twice, in fact: first to the cloud, then to a different type of cloud server. This work was completed so successfully, users were not even aware of any change.
  • The intermediary service sitting between the inventory database and the viewer was also successfully transitioned to AWS. It has also been running for “some time now”, again without users noting any difference.
  • A lot of the back-end services that users never directly interact with have also been successful transitioned
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Oz Linden, via Inara Pey:

• All of the inventory databases were successfully moved several months ago – twice, in fact: first to the cloud, then to a different type of cloud server. This work was completed so successfully, users were not even aware of any change.
  • The intermediary service sitting between the inventory database and the viewer was also successfully transitioned to AWS. It has also been running for “some time now”, again without users noting any difference.
  • A lot of the back-end services that users never directly interact with have also been successful transitioned

First bullet point—maybe this explains the return of some of my no-copy. Items that I thought I lost forever. I have almost 14 years of inventory. A lot of the stuff people made in the early days was no copy/no mod/transfer. It’s such a relief to have most things copy/mod/no transfer now.

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

1784162607_SL17BEnchant30thJune_001.thumb.jpg.3e66039353d5ca73c1ca1d8c619e693a.jpg

View looking down at the new Stilt Linden homes. 

30/6/2020

It is so open and airy. I feel strongly protective to keep it this way. I have had a relaxed attitude - let everyone have what they want on their parcel as long as it is not a blatant break of TOS.

Now I feel my claws start to come out, when I think about someone who put down a 32 x 32 lawn in sickly green, or who fills their plot with items I would just shrug about before, where I have other Linden Homes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It is so open and airy.

I really like the houses coming off the pier,  looking at Daniel's pic I am seeing they are closer together around the pier than the all water homes (which makes sense).  The land-water ones would allow for a little outside decorating...the all water ones we could really prim up the interiors lol.  And have a great boat.  I have not "home hopped" for a couple months, am looking forward to these wonderful homes releasing late(r) this year  :) 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

1784162607_SL17BEnchant30thJune_001.thumb.jpg.3e66039353d5ca73c1ca1d8c619e693a.jpg

30/6/2020

Where is this? Will this be viable as boat docks? I can't tell if that 'deck' is blocking too much space or not.

There's a LOT of pressure on hoaeboat demand - so hoping this are viable boatdocks for sailing fans.

22 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Where is this? Will this be viable as boat docks? I can't tell if that 'deck' is blocking too much space or not.

There's a LOT of pressure on hoaeboat demand - so hoping this are viable boatdocks for sailing fans.

That's the SL17B Enchant region. The homes have lower level decks that can be used as docks (though they seem a bit high to me). The white posts around the houses that are in the water mark the parcel boundaries.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

That's the SL17B Enchant region. The homes have lower level decks that can be used as docks (though they seem a bit high to me). The white posts around the houses that are in the water mark the parcel boundaries.

That's great. Hopefully this will solve for all the people who want houseboats.

I found the spot and - this are quite competative with houseboats. Not sure if I like this or my houseboat more...

This makes me think of Lagos, and it's neighboring poor city Makoko:kca9hmsjicay.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Whereas Lagos is a city of extreme wealth and prosperity - Makoko is a 'town on the water' next to it.

Lagos by contrast is on the islands and coastal mainland, and looks like a cross between a Mediterranean resort town and silicon valley depending on the angle of your camera...

(EDIT: Apparently there's a Lagos Portugal also, and google images is getting them mixed up - so just trust me that Lagos is both beautiful and industrial-hyper-modern at the same time).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

That's great. Hopefully this will solve for all the people who want houseboats.

I found the spot and - this are quite competative with houseboats. Not sure if I like this or my houseboat more...

From what Patch has said, it looks like they are planning to add more traditionals and houseboats later, with the plan being to have stilt homes and houseboat areas near each other, so more should be coming (not soon though lol):)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I notice that some of the stilt houses are landlocked. I would hate to be the poor soul finally excited to see 'stilt home' on the page, click to get your home, and end up on land... O.o

Patch said you'll be able to choose between all-water houses and ones with land. I assume that means two categories under Select a House when you choose your Linden Home. There are plenty of real stilt houses on land in areas that are prone to flooding.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

30/6/2020

23 houses on this region, so I think we can feel a lot more comfortable about knowing this will be generally closer to what the actual regions layout will be. As opposed to, say, the Victorian preview region where they only had like 6-8 out? And this is just spitballing here, but I think the distribution of this region makes sense for what the demand will likely be- about half full water, a quarter mixed, a quarter on full sand.

23 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Patch said you'll be able to choose between all-water houses and ones with land. I assume that means two categories under Select a House when you choose your Linden Home. There are plenty of real stilt houses on land in areas that are prone to flooding.

He said there we'd be able to pick from the three - All sand, half & half, all water. Exciting!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jadziyah Nova said:

He said there we'd be able to pick from the three - All sand, half & half, all water. Exciting!

Wait.  This is what he said, earlier in this thread.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:24 AM, Patch Linden said:

As has been mentioned, do not abandon your homes.   A quick clarification on styles and such.  There are 4 floor plans to the Stilt Home theme.   There will be two placement options offered on the home selection page of the site.  One of the selections will find the house placed where there are stairs are anchored to land, so those houses will be either the over land or maybe partially over the water for home placement.  The other option offered will be for a home fully over water (no entry stairs).   This is how you'll be able to choose witch type of placement you could select.

I read this as: there will be two types of stilt homes on the Land Page:

1. Fully over water
  2. Stairs anchored to land

I'm thinking the ones on docks that have a ramp connecting them to the dock still count as #1, fully over water.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.