What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Speaking of migraines, I never ever used to get headaches, let alone migraines. I still don't get "headache" migraines (thank the gods) but I *have* started (past few years) having ocular migraines... auras without the headache. Again, I'll take those over the headache kind, but it was damn freaky the first time it happened. I thought "stroke" or something. I get the whole 9 yards with those: fuzzy thinking, light sensitivity, light flashes and stars, and I get tinnitus as well. Yippee skippee. 

• Sad 3

I get migraines on a regular basis, but at the moment my peeve is constant pain I experience from congenital scoliosis that went untreated until I was eight years old. It causes constant daily nerve and muscle spasms along my entire spine. They became unbearable in the last few years when pain levels escalate to ten daily. I'm on heavy pain meds as a form of pain management that takes the pain level to three on very good days. Level five most days. Sometimes I just get so sick of chronic pain. I love life, but I get sick of pain. I also have fibromyalgia and cfs so yes...sick of pain. 

My dad taught me to try to love my scoliosis curve. I do for the most part because it's part of me. I'm not fond of the pain though. 

• Sad 6

@Dafadilia Wayfarer Chronic pain sucks. One of my best friends died of lupus, but before she did I often wondered how anyone lives with chronic pain (and she did with so much grace). Now I too have chronic, daily pain, different from yours but enough to be on SSDI. I haven't found a way to put a positive spin on chronic pain. Whereas my friend lived with it with grace, I'm a whiney wuss. I get your "peeve" and think "peeve" is a bit of an understatement. :/

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

@Dafadilia Wayfarer Chronic pain sucks. One of my best friends died of lupus, but before she did I often wondered how anyone lives with chronic pain (and she did with so much grace). Now I too have chronic, daily pain, different from yours but enough to be on SSDI. I haven't found a way to put a positive spin on chronic pain. Whereas my friend lived with it with grace, I'm a whiney wuss. I get your "peeve" and think "peeve" is a bit of an understatement. :/

May I offer you a hug and advice please? 

One thing. Never try to compare your experiences with others. That isn't being fair to yourself. You're invalidating your own life experiences by doing so and you're worth so much more than that! Be kind to yourself. 🤗 

Edited to add that I apologize since I tend to be a rather sappy person. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

I just take things daily. I'm just having a difficult day. Most of the time, I just try to focus on the good. I can't at times though so I peeved here a bit. I'm sorry if I've caused bad feelings to stir.

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

May I offer you a hug and advice please? 

One thing. Never try to compare your experiences with others. That isn't being fair to yourself. You're invalidating your own life experiences by doing so and you're worth so much more than that! Be kind to yourself. 🤗 

Edited to add that I apologize since I tend to be a rather sappy person. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

I just take things daily. I'm just having a difficult day. Most of the time, I just try to focus on the good. I can't at times though so I peeved here a bit. I'm sorry if I've caused bad feelings to stir.

I agree. I do and I don't compare. I don't beat myself up that I handle my pain differently than my bff did. I admire how she was able to do it, though. Some people just have grace. Me... not so much. But you are right, I can't compare my pain to yours, or yours to me. It does no good when people say, "Oh, you should just be grateful you don't have it as bad as so-and-so." (That dismisses your situation and is a crappy thing to say to someone.)

Chronic pain sucks. Period.

• Like 2

grimacing

51 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

I agree. I do and I don't compare. I don't beat myself up that I handle my pain differently than my bff did. I admire how she was able to do it, though. Some people just have grace. Me... not so much. But you are right, I can't compare my pain to yours, or yours to me. It does no good when people say, "Oh, you should just be grateful you don't have it as bad as so-and-so." (That dismisses your situation and is a crappy thing to say to someone.)

Out of all the smileys we have, we really need an agree smiley..

I'm a big believer in having to walk a mile in someone else's shoes to really get a feel..As well as the other way around..

Even then it's still going to be two different experiences.

stick a needle in my knee and do the same exact thing to another person on the table next to me and one of us is going to fly up from the pain  a little higher than the other and have two different experiences..

If they did mine first, I'd probably be stuck with a grimacing expression on my face  reliving my needle stick as they get theirs, because i can relate with what they are about to go though, but can truly only know how bad it was for me..

hehehehe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

Speaking of migraines, I never ever used to get headaches, let alone migraines. I still don't get "headache" migraines (thank the gods) but I *have* started (past few years) having ocular migraines... auras without the headache. Again, I'll take those over the headache kind, but it was damn freaky the first time it happened. I thought "stroke" or something. I get the whole 9 yards with those: fuzzy thinking, light sensitivity, light flashes and stars, and I get tinnitus as well. Yippee skippee. 

Try having tinnitus 24/7.

For decades.

It only varies in volume. Kind of like having crickets singing all year long only some nights the little buggers are so loud they keep you awake all night.

Whoop de freakin do right? lol

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry your friend went through that. I'm sorry you went through that. No one deserves to go through chronic pain. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm glad you don't compare yourself to others as you explained. It is hard to watch people do that to themselves because we really can be our own worst enemy at times. I know I am at times!

Take care and be safe everyone.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Try having tinnitus 24/7.

For decades.

It only varies in volume. Kind of like having crickets singing all year long only some nights the little buggers are so loud they keep you awake all night.

Whoop de freakin do right? lol

I do have it 24/7, like you, for decades. Mine is generally low enough that it isn't too distracting. When the aura migraines hit those little buggers sound like jumbo jets.

Whoop de freakin do indeed!

Bodies, anatomy, physiology... amirite?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

I do have it 24/7, like you, for decades. Mine is generally low enough that it isn't too distracting. When the aura migraines hit those little buggers sound like jumbo jets.

Whoop de freakin do indeed!

Bodies, anatomy, physiology... amirite?

When I get migraines the only thing I can do is stay in a darkened room and lock everyone else out so they leave me alone and let me sleep it off.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Would a bit more light in the evening be so bad? 

Having some light in the morning when you go to work isn't bad either though.

... Well, not that we actually get any light until around noon up here anyway, but still. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Aye, Sweden. 

Oh OK well, I have nothing to complain about in the UK, LOL. I have heard about Swedish winters...

I guess the morning thing doesn't bother me so much personally as I've been working from home since March. But I liked going to the park for my exercise at lunchtime and at 5pm too, and am not so keen going out after dark. But it also makes a lot of sense for people going out to work early morning, especially if they're driving. 

25 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Having some light in the morning when you go to work isn't bad either though.

... Well, not that we actually get any light until around noon up here anyway, but still. 

I spent part of a winter in Uppsala one year. The sun was up from late morning until maybe 3 p.m. (well, "up" was maybe 30 degrees above the horizon).  It was a nice, gentle sort of daylight. And the night sky was lovely.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh OK well, I have nothing to complain about in the UK, LOL. I have heard about Swedish winters...

I guess the morning thing doesn't bother me so much personally as I've been working from home since March. But I liked going to the park for my exercise at lunchtime and at 5pm too, and am not so keen going out after dark. But it also makes a lot of sense for people going out to work early morning, especially if they're driving. 

Canadian winters are pretty bad, depending on where you live. And depending on the time of year, I may not see sun until 9 am or 7 am.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Canadian winters are pretty bad, depending on where you live. And depending on the time of year, I may not see sun until 9 am or 7 am.

We had snowfall in London a few years ago and all the buses and trains got cancelled...I walked to work and the only other person who made it into the office was from Nova Scotia and he told me "This is a joke...I've had to shovel my way out of the front door and Brits can't even shovel the road?" 😲😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

We had snowfall in London a few years ago and all the buses and trains got cancelled...I walked to work and the only other person who made it into the office was from Nova Scotia and he told me "This is a joke...I've had to shovel my way out of the front door and Brits can't even shovel the road?" 😲😂

That is absolutely funny, the first snowfall we get the snow plow trucks are out plowing the roads and even the highways, they are plowing the sidewalks and schools and even work isn't even cancelled. We don't shut down here for a little snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, most parts of Britain really don't get heavy snow often enough for it to be worth the expense and hassle of snow tyres and so on. If we did, I expect we'd be a little bit more prepared for it. But we do like things to be a bit rubbish in general, so maybe not.

I'm glad when the clocks go back, as I'd rather have my extra light in the morning. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

To be fair, most parts of Britain really don't get heavy snow often enough for it to be worth the expense and hassle of snow tyres and so on. If we did, I expect we'd be a little bit more prepared for it. But we do like things to be a bit rubbish in general, so maybe not.

I'm glad when the clocks go back, as I'd rather have my extra light in the morning. 

That and Canada gets hit with snow. So we have to have the infrastructure set in place to deal with it.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.