What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

people who take life 1st or 2nd too seriously...its all just a game.. but with one caveat between the two in 1st there is no reset or continue from last save.

Buddhist will argue abaut the reset. 

Cats. 

Edited by Zzevir
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

People who get their panties in a twist and feel compelled to explain to me in several PMs that my confused reaction 😕 was inappropriate.  Really?

This is why I have forum PMs turned off.  If anyone has anything they want to say to me on the basis of my public comments, they can damn well say it publicly as well.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

peeve.. the length of the day.. its never long enough to do everything you want when you want.. all this time management skill requirement.. is just annoying...........

come on people.. make the day longer.. add more time to it.. need another 8-12 hours added in..

5 more days until daylight savings time.

I'll give you one more hour! \o/

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I have longer dresses, and even two gowns. Lol, I don't even have any microminis!!! I DO have to get some though!!! So there are longer dresses available.

I know track pants and tops exist. Ask Talligurl, She wore a hoodie top when we looked at a church the other day. And I know she has a full black track suit  top and pants too.

The issue isn't that these things aren't available. I'm pretty sure that a MP search would bring up dozens and dozens, if not hundreds, of track suits. I don't even collect them, and pretty seldom wear them, but I must have 3 or 4 sets of track pants. Same with skirts: I own dozens of different skirts, and not a single one of 'em is micro.

Rather -- and I'm pretty sure that this is Gigi's point -- it's that a certain "look," or sets of look, dominate the market, and hence also what is being worn in-world. Finding interesting, innovative, or even just plain not-skimpy clothing is far from impossible, but you have to wade through a morass of same-old same-old to get to them. The availability of cheap mesh downloads means that we are being treated to the same dress, with slightly different texturing, over and over again, from dozens of different merchants.

At the same time, I really do think that there has been an increased focus on so-called "sexy clothing" -- microminis, yes, but try to find a simple blouse or shirt that isn't unbuttoned to the navel, or a dress that doesn't have a neckline that plunges to just above the pubic bone. I don't have any particular objections to "sexy" clothing, except so much of this stuff is just bad -- and, again, while there are a great many garments available that are more 'conservative" (I hate this term -- fashion is about style and aesthetics, not ideology and morality), one result is that 90% of what one sees at clubs is just awful.

I'm not sure that it's really that different from RL: fast fashion has accelerated the impoverishment of imaginative and interesting fashion here too.

There are a few in-world designers who are doing some interesting stuff -- Zibska, David Heather, and Asteria come to mind -- and when one finds someone not simply reproducing the same old crap in different colours, one treasures them.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At the same time, I really do think that there has been an increased focus on so-called "sexy clothing" -- microminis, yes, but try to find a simple blouse or shirt that isn't unbuttoned to the navel, or a dress that doesn't have a neckline that plunges to just above the pubic bone.

I think the micro-mini dress phenomena is largely the result of the horrid rigging of SL mesh skirts. The old system skirt shape, though ugly, didn't have legs emerging from the skirt when you did anything other than stand up straight. The otherwise exquisite detail possible with mesh clothing has made flexy skirts less desirable. If a designer wants to make a dress/skirt that moves well while dancing, it's either going to be micro length or have a split along the rigging line between the legs.

I handle this by channeling Hillary Clinton.

As for navel gazing tops... yeah, that's clearly a designer focus on sex.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think the micro-mini dress phenomena is largely the result of the horrid rigging of SL mesh skirts. The old system skirt shape, though ugly, didn't have legs emerging from the skirt unless you kept your legs together. The otherwise exquisite detail possible with mesh clothing has made flexy skirts less desirable. If a designed wants to make a dress/skirt that moves well while dancing, it's either going to be micro length or have a split along the rigging line between the legs.

As for navel gazing tops... yeah, that's clearly a designer focus on sex.

Your point about skirts is well-taken. Most of my skirts are minis or knee-length for exactly that reason (although I also like the look): any skirt that drops very much below the knees is going to not look great while walking or in a lot of sitting poses. (Or dancing, for that matter.) It doesn't entirely explain the prevalence of the micro-mini though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Your point about skirts is well-taken. Most of my skirts are minis or knee-length for exactly that reason (although I also like the look): any skirt that drops very much below the knees is going to not look great while walking or in a lot of sitting poses. (Or dancing, for that matter.) It doesn't entirely explain the prevalence of the micro-mini though.

You know I'm a stickler for visuals. The rigging line starts to appear at the crotch. Unless you wear a gathered or pleated skirt that can hide that line, I think it looks awful. I do have knee length skirts and dresses that look very nice when I'm standing. I've just decided to overlook the absurdity when I move. Had LL done better work on the avi armature and rigging, I think we'd have nicer skirts at all lengths.

• Like 4

I hardly own any skirts for all the reasons above. It's either short dresses, which is me anyway, or pants, and that can be denim or leather, but no patterns please!. I do have one short A line skirt which I use with a knotted top, but it makes me look 16.

• Like 2

The majority of what I wore, pre-mesh, was semi-short flexi skirts & dresses. Now, due to the way most mesh skirts/dresses look below crotch level, I mostly wear pants or shorts, depending on the season.

And to ensure I'm on topic - today's peeve:  People that start forum threads and title them with just their username.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I handle this by channeling Hillary Clinton.

By forgiving your husband deeds (originally I wanted to put here a reference for why but changed my mind well done Zev.) 

Me on the other hand I never wear a micro mini skirt as my plums would hang out. 

Fashion events that refuse to tick the box in about land, show in search.

I just had to go to Flickr to search for the name of the event, clicked on a poster in the hopes there is a slurl and got lucky that the blogger provided the slurl to get there.

I had even done the web search in-world as well, thinking it may be in Destinations. It's not.

The only thing I can think of as to why they don't want their event found through search, is to avoid griefers.

If it's not to avoid griefers, then what is the reason?

It's very annoying and frustrating.

You have to scour social media just to find these events or be subscribed to a mailing list that sends out a list of events they picked, but it doesn't show every event that pops up on the grid.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I found it amusing it all started because I used the confused emoji on a couple of her post in the employment section.  I guess now we have the reaction police?  

How dare you actually use a confused reaction because something posted caused confusion. You should be so ashamed! 😂

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

How dare you actually use a confused reaction because something posted caused confusion. You should be so ashamed! 😂

Looks like the mods were pretty quick this time.  Gonna guess someone reported their own posts to save face.

Peeve and I'm stealing this one from @Seicher RaePEOPLE.

ETA:  Staying on topic.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I heard we (in Florida) are..

I don't see the reason for it anymore.

DST wasn't widely used until more than a century later, though. Several countries, including Britain and Germany, implemented DST during World War I. The practice aimed to cut artificial lighting use so troops could conserve fuel for the war. But the US didn't standardize the system until 1966, when it passed the Uniform Time Act.

I don't see how this really saves money or electricity anymore.  I guess it made sense back when people's days ended earlier and they got up at the crack of dawn to do chores.  It seems to me, I use more electricity during DST as I have to put lights on around 5 pm and it's still dark in the mornings for some school children as this was part of the reasoning I've heard too.  Either way, it serves no useful purpose  IMHO.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.