offensive region name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's entirely inappropriate to name a region "Quaker Meeting". There *are* Quakers who use Second Life, and we do have a meeting.

This would be like naming a region "Baptist Church" or "Catholic Church" or "Buddhist Temple".

The region named "Quaker" might be named after the parrots, or the people who play Quake. But there is no other meaning I'm aware of for "Quaker Meeting." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Otenth Paderborn said:

It's entirely inappropriate to name a region "Quaker Meeting". There *are* Quakers who use Second Life, and we do have a meeting.

Maybe the owners are Quakers and have meetings there.

59 minutes ago, Otenth Paderborn said:

This would be like naming a region "Baptist Church" or "Catholic Church" or "Buddhist Temple".

And what would be wrong with it if someone did this?

• Like 4

It appears to be a name for one of the new Linden Home regions.  Personally, I don't see a reason to be offended by it, though I could see some people might not want to live in a region with a religious overtone meaning.  I wouldn't have any problem in living in a region with that name.

However, if you are offended by it, then submit an AR about it, as Alwin suggested.  I would imagine that LL did not name it that in order to offend anyone on purpose, and may be surprised to find that it did offend someone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moira Timmerman said:

and may be surprised to find that it did offend someone.

They'd be a bit oblivious to the world in general if they were surprised. Pretty much everything these days manages to offend someone.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Otenth Paderborn said:

The region named "Quaker" might be named after the parrots, or the people who play Quake. But there is no other meaning I'm aware of for "Quaker Meeting." 

There's also a region called "Church Ponteveccio." It has a lovely cathedral.

Interestingly enough, it's vampire-themed and has a fountain of blood in front of the cathedral.

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I do think it a bit ODD for it to be a Linden Homes region however. 

After thinking about it while I was out for a RL walk, it doesn't seem overly odd for a log home region.  The log home regions are very pretty, full of nature, and I think could foster a reflective, contemplative, spiritual mindset, if that type of practice is part of one's nature.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Otenth Paderborn said:

I think it is clear the reference isn't to congregations of parrots, but I don't see why you take offense to it, when I would think the intention much more likely to be flattery?

The region name may well have been the well meaning suggestion of a Quaker. It is not in Zindra, it is in a desirable naturally landscaped area.

Quakers are known for engaging in politics on matters of importance prison reform, pacifism, sexual, gender and racial tolerance.

Without wishing to diminish you personal reaction to the region name, in my experience Quakers are more likely to cautiously welcome the naming, not seek out offense where it isn't needed. That is a huge positive reflection on their outlook.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

They'd be a bit oblivious to the world in general if they were surprised. Pretty much everything these days manages to offend someone.

What do you mean, "someone"? What are you trying to say? Is that an insult? I want to speak to your manager!

• Haha 2

I thought you were going to mention Effing Parade or Wazoo. I was hoping to never land a house in either region. My alt just got a Vic in Effing Parade. Oh well

And the irony is that I just landed a lovely home under my own account in Quaker Meeting.

Edited by LuLu Starbrook
Updated to reflect new home location.
  • Haha 3

I suspect the name arose from someone firing a random question at a search engine or blindly pointing a finger at a page in a dictionary, but, that being done, it was a matter of choice to use it.  I'm not a Quaker, but I do have respect for the denomination, and I think it rather sad that no consideration has been given to what it might mean to those for whom it is a vital part of their life.  I suspect the chooser had no idea to what it refers, or they thought it sounded 'rural' or belonged in the 17th Century.  I think it's also sad that some here have immediately poured scorn on the OP.

Of course, Christianity has long been an easy target or concept to use for unrelated purposes, and ignorance increases daily.  I do wonder what the reaction would be to a Bellisserian region being called Mosque.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Of course, Christianity has long been an easy target or concept to use for unrelated purposes, and ignorance increases daily.  I do wonder what the reaction would be to a Bellisserian region being called Mosque.

Or after the messianic figure in Buddhism.

Who's referred to as "Maitreya."

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Maitreya

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why is it more offensive a place name than, for example, Quakertown, Pennsylvania (not to mention Quaker Oats porridge)?

Considering the Main and Test grids are named after two of the most important deities in the Vedas, I think the boat's sailed on SL names with religious connotations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Why is it more offensive a place name than, for example, Quakertown, Pennsylvania (not to mention Quaker Oats porridge)?

Considering the Main and Test grids are named after two of the most important deities in the Vedas, I think the boat's sailed on SL names with religious connotations.

The point is that 'Quaker Meeting' does not simply refer to a group of Quakers gathering for a natter in the marketplace or something, but is the central worship event, the spiritual equivalent of a Mass.  The name Quakertown does not have anywhere near the same significance.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.