Lindens to Reveal 5th Home Theme at Home & Garden Expo - 10am slt Friday Feb 28

Nuala Maracas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There's a bit of all of that in the 'Dear White People' ones... but... this IS how folks think. Folks are seriously strange and creepy for leaving those windows open and putting their business all up in everyone else's faces.

Lol when I was in apartments in college I couldn't even afford hardware-store blinds. Altho eventually I acquired a few ancient shawls that I tacked up and looped back so I could cover the whole window when I wanted to, initially I felt like "What are people doing looking in my windows?  They see something they shouldn't, hey, it's their problem!"

Students!!

But I do still feel that way in SL; if it weren't for my partner, I'd probably leave all the windows uncovered, and half of them open, lol.  The weather is always good!

• Like 2

I guess this is temporarily the curtains thread.  In real life I hate bright light and sunshine with a passion.  During the day I use lightblocking shades and make my house a cave. At night I open everything up for fresh air and lights in the house are off or dimmed.  I don't live in a crowded, crime infested, gross, dirty, overpopulated city.  The most likely thing to sneak into my house at night is a raccoon.  

In SL I have all windows open, no blinds, no curtains.  I have control of the windlight settings so it's always foggy or night time in my perfect world.  I don't sit on my virtual couch in my underwear and I change clothes in a skybox.  I'm  not an exhibitionist in either world. Who needs to close things up at night?  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

This is a very good conversation. It's parallel to several that Quartz and I have had between us.  As you can imagine, the house control scripts have become very complex at this point, as we have added extra functionality (customized coloring of interior walls, interfacing with the LH security orb, ... ) and have taken steps to make scripts faster and more efficient. And, of course, we have made the scripts as tamper-proof and bug-free as possible.

With several thousand Linden Homes on the ground now, we have found more unexpected side effects than we ever imagined possible and we have had to make some compromises along the way to keep them minimal.  Reducing the number of scripts, for example, has improved region-wide load on the servers but has made the houses touch-sensitive so that you can't double-click to TP.  To my mind, that's a small sacrifice because it takes hardly any time to walk from one place to another inside your house (I do it all the time in RL, actually), but I do understand that it has removed a small convenience that many residents value.  If there were an easy way to get double-click TPs back without creating some other problem, we might give it a shot.  I've watched Quartz tear his hair out to get all the doors, windows, and blinds to operate reliably and independently from a single script (and not collide with the control and access scripts) , though, and I'm not eager to see him go bald just to make it easier to TP inside.

i quite like having these in-depth conversations. They sometimes start with Blinking Linden !! What are you doing ?!!! Whhyyyy !!

the cool thing about the Belli Project is that Blinking Mole is not a Blinking Linden. Blinking Mole gets into these in-depth conversations because Blinking Mole is also a Blinking Resident

and Blinking Resident finds the time in their otherwise busy day to work thru and explain to SomeOtherBlinking Resident (who would be me in this case) why what was done, was done. I like that

• Like 9

@Quartz Mole @Dyna Mole @Patch Linden

i have been thinking a bit more about the Touch issue

given the building method for Belli Homes as one linked object going forward, and the importance of this method to Linden (and subsequently the wider resident builder community as they adapt themselves to this method) then the LDPW (Patch Linden) might be in a good position to effect a viewer mod

llSetClickAction(-1)

given that this is a prim property. Suppose that when -1 (CLICK_ACTION_NEVER) the viewer doesn't send mouse_xxx messages to the server

On 3/1/2020 at 6:19 AM, Quartz Mole said:

If you put a script containing a touch* event in the root prim of an object, then the script detects touches in every link in the linkset, at least what the script is in the state containing the touch* event.  Same with collisions and collision events.

Our scripts do, of course, work by using llDetectedLinkNumber/llDetectedTouchFace, which they then use to access all the information they need to decide what, if anything, they need to do with the link that's just been touched, and then do it with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast.

But there's no way I know of to make them detect touches from only some links in the link set and not others.   To do that, I would have to revert to putting individual scripts in all the doors and windows, to communicate with the root prim when they're touched, which is what we did in the Trads, House Boats and Trailers, before rejecting that technique as an unsustainable waste both of region resources and Dyna and my scripting time (or possibly I could put scripts that contain only an empty state_entry, but no touch event, in all the links I don't want to be touchable, but that would be even worse).

If you (or anyone) can show me a method that will allow me to put a single script containing a touch_end event in the root prim of a complex object like a Belliseria house and thus make some, but not all, of the links touchable, I would love to know how to do it, but I don't think it can be done.

I'm always happy to be proved wrong if it means I can learn a useful new way of doing things, but as far as I know, I have to have the script detect all touches, and then ignore ones I'm not interested in.    

Me, when @Quartz Mole speaks LSL, a language that I understand in absolutely no way, shape, or form. All I know is that it makes things do things and it is unbearably sexy*.

swooning.gif.817b7d35a08ee62c43607dc985e86603.gif

*when Quartz speaks it. Anyone else it's just a bunch of gibberish to me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Quick question to the Wise Masters of the SL forums: will the release be announced, or cabins will just appear on the LP? Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldnt find any mention to it..Thank you (one day with no house hoping, and still alive)

So, based on the past, my bet is that Patch will update the "The New Linden Homes Update Post" at the same time (or very shortly thereafter) when regions start getting released - and probably a blog post also.  With both the Campers and the Victorians, the thread update happened like that. They haven't done any sort of pre-release warning since the Squishy Pickle was released in May of last year.  I think that way back, there would sometimes be some hints in the Bellisseria group chat, but some folks were complaining that it wasn't fair to those not inworld.  I haven't heard of any pre-release notices in group chat in a long time.

So - yes an announcement, but not necessarily before the homes start showing on the land page.

Also, with both the Campers and the Victorians, it seemed like they were slowing funneling the regions into the queue, so that the availability was spread out over multiple hours/days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Elena Core said:

Quick question to the Wise Masters of the SL forums: will the release be announced, or cabins will just appear on the LP? Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldnt find any mention to it..Thank you (one day with no house hoping, and still alive)

I know that you saw it in the other thread, but for the benefit of others:

Patch said in group chat that the Log Homes would NOT be released this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I know that you saw it in the other thread, but for the benefit of others:

Patch said in group chat that the Log Homes would NOT be released this week.

Thank you Lil. Yes, I read it, but still really nice of you posting it here too :) 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 6:45 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Also, with both the Campers and the Victorians, it seemed like they were slowing funneling the regions into the queue, so that the availability was spread out over multiple hours/days.

With the Vics, the first regions were 'uncloaked' to those of us standing on the edge of an abruptly-truncated road in the trad regions in what is now South Haven, I think. We could see it for about 10-15 minutes (with Patch & Co. standing on the road facing us). There was no warning as to when they would actually be released, but I was refreshing robotically and wound up getting the first or second Vic released, at the very top of Abrus. There was a slight delay after Abrus was released, and then the regions began to be released one at a time, alphabetically (with a couple of exceptions that were held back). And then things got snarled up as lots of people abandoned houses in the hope of getting one they liked better. (I don't know if this is how the big release happened with the campers.)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

With the Vics, the first regions were 'uncloaked' to those of us standing on the edge of an abruptly-truncated road in the trad regions in what is now South Haven, I think. We could see it for about 10-15 minutes (with Patch & Co. standing on the road facing us). There was no warning as to when they would actually be released, but I was refreshing robotically and wound up getting the first or second Vic released, at the very top of Abrus. There was a slight delay after Abrus was released, and then the regions began to be released one at a time, alphabetically (with a couple of exceptions that were held back). And then things got snarled up as lots of people abandoned houses in the hope of getting one they liked better. (I don't know if this is how the big release happened with the campers.)

I do remember the Campers taking somewhere from 8-12 hours before the last region was finally released and claimed that day.  I don't remember how it started, but people did start claiming them just before Patch actually updated the thread saying they were out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I do remember the Campers taking somewhere from 8-12 hours before the last region was finally released and claimed that day.  I don't remember how it started, but people did start claiming them just before Patch actually updated the thread saying they were out.

The campers were made visible when they opened Campwich Forest region to all of us, and a party at the Lodge with Patch and the moles ensued :)  Other camper regions could not be visited until they were each released, unlike the Vics.  I doubt camper regions were released alphabetically, as I got my camper in Wheeler at 12:26 SLT, and region releases continued for hours past then.

1 hour ago, Reddevil Rodex said:

Does anyone know when these will be released to the public??

Definitely not this week as has been noted by Patch in the Bellisseria group chat multiple times and not the 7th that's this Saturday. I would not expect there to be a release in the next week or two. When the caravans and Victorians were coming along we could see the land on the map but not go there till very near the release time

Edited by Claireschen Hesten
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Definitely not this week as has been noted by Patch in the Bellisseria group chat multiple times and not the 7th that's this Saturday. I would not expect there to be a release in the next week or two. When the caravans and Victorians were coming along we could see the land on the map but not go there till very near the release time

Thank you :D

3 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Hands Patch an icy jar of lemonade.  

Well, yes, exactly.  His first hint seemed to indicate, with the lemonade, that the release would be when the weather warmed up (North American seasons, as usual).  So I don't believe there's any 'delay' happening here; seems likely all is going according to plan.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.