What happened to SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All social games lost a lot of users in the last 5 years, with social media and mobile devices pretty much becoming the norm and expected platform for anything.

See Runescape, Habbo Hotel, IMVU, Smallworlds, etc, massive player loss from 2010-2015. Same thing happened to SL, but like all the other big games, its still around.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

They assume it's dead because their friends list is mostly inactive, most of their bookmarks no longer work, and their groups are long abandoned.

What they're actually experiencing is natural churn. People leave, places close, but new people and places replace them on a daily basis. Active participants can keep up with said churn, but if they're inactive or only partially engaged, they have to go through the new player "explore and meet people" phase all over again.

But that requires a hint of self awareness. Better to just moan on the forums instead.

I see.  So the people bemoaning the death of Second Life abandoned Second Life, friends, groups, venues and merchants, long enough that when they wandered back to the trail they find the wagon train moved on without them.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tarin Babenco said:

I have been a away for a few years and recently came back. What happened to SL it’s dead :(

SL isn't dead.

The sims you frequented before mostly closed due to dramatardism.  A few are still there, but now AFK slex places.

All those friends who never seem to be online created alts and never log into their old accounts.

The girlfriend you left behind is now a transsexual furry prostitute with a new user name, and she turned off "show online" for you.

It's not SL, it's you.  The SL you left is different, so you need to approach it as if a noob - new friends, new places to hang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

SL isn't dead.

The sims you frequented before mostly closed due to dramatardism.  A few are still there, but now AFK slex places.

All those friends who never seem to be online created alts and never log into their old accounts.

The girlfriend you left behind is now a transsexual furry prostitute with a new user name, and she turned off "show online" for you.

It's not SL, it's you.  The SL you left is different, so you need to approach it as if a noob - new friends, new places to hang.

The numbers of actual people in world are on decline.

OMG really??????????

We get called names on the forums?? 🤔

That's why you have a mute button, make use of it 😇

You'll soon see the regular spammers and whiners. My block list is 3 pages now.

Then you'll see lovely lines saying "you have chosen to ignore content by so and so", makes reading the forums much more pleasurable.  

Edited by belindacarson
additional remarks

13 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I wanted to get ibtl but I don't know.... don't think it's been trolled enough to warrant a lock

image.png.cae77b64071031308a4756a8792893da.png

The railway mboard my man is an admin on has people posting IBTL when for example one thread about the Union Pacific Big Boy being pushed by a diesel and turns into political trolling. And he then slaps a lock on it!

I know it's considered extremely bad form to pronounce SL dead and all that, but my overall impression since I sort of semi returned on occasion is that there really are fewer people. I don't think anyone denies that there aren't as many people logging in regularly now as there were 10-12 years ago? (Happy to be corrected, I'm not technical.) Stuff is happening, definitely, but I really don't think there are as many people doing it as there used to be.

I also think there's been a cultural change (would be weird if there hadn't been after 16 years). More focus on aesthetics than there used to be. I mean, we always liked things to look nice but it seems to have taken more of a priority over other things. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as it seems to have given rise to a lot more photography etc, and a lot of people very much like that, which is grand. The things that used to draw me don't seem to be happening as much as they used to, but I'm not in much nowadays so I can't really complain. On the rare occasions I get inworld, I just explore or do stuff that takes advantage of the graphics.

As I said in the unpopular opinions thread, though, I confess that I don't think the new, improved avatars are worth the sheer bloody time-consuming faffy fiddly headache of creating them. 

• Like 4

On 2/5/2020 at 4:12 PM, clivesteel said:

Racism, greed, mesh mania and the latest anti-Resident pay-for-names fiasco (aka - the purge of free accounts) has laid SL in its casket.

There is still racism in SL...

BUT...

Frankly it's a LOT better now than it was a decade ago...

Most of the racists got chased away. What we have left now is the 'oops' stuff... like people not from a given region making things using art that folks from that region know the meaning of... but outsiders might not... or things like venues with the name 'plantation' in them that don't realize that's like naming your venue 'Auschwitz Dance Club'...

- The actual intentionally consciously racist folks are mostly gone.

I have still had the random 'You [...]s are the real racists' IM tossed out me from out of nowhere (even if offline)... but it's down to maybe one a quarter now and not one a day...

In 2009 the darkest skin tone avatar I could find would make Trump look black by comparison, now I randomly stumble into places with a full range of ethnicities all the time - without even looking for them. Not just white or black, but also asian and mestizo can be done with ease now. Still a serious lack of natural hair options for African avatars, but there are some good brands now.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.