What happened to SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Tarin Babenco said:

I have been a away for a few years and recently came back. What happened to SL it’s dead :(

Do a search of “Second Life dying”. You will find lots and lots of reasons explained  over about a twelve year period.  (If it was already dead, you couldn’t log in.)

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Tarin Babenco said:

I have been a away for a few years and recently came back. What happened to SL it’s dead :(

It's not dead for me.

What are you looking for?  What did you used to do?  

A lot of people are on Discord now but you can still be on SL while on Discord, I've heard.  (Friends said this...I am not on Discord at this time.)

Wait...is it Discord or Discourse?  Well, something like that.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Its not.

Or it died in 2010. Idk.

I thought it dies in 2008, or was it 09, or 10, or 11, or 12, or 13, or 14, or 15, or 10 minutes ago, or 5 minutes ago, or 5 minutes from now...

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

A lot of people are on Discord now but you can still be on SL while on Discord

Discord.

Basically a voice app for people that play games like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV... that often includes people blasting annoying music over it or spamming chat spam...

As in... for people that really love the spammy nature of SL clubs, and want to have 'TUNE!!!' blasted at them everywhere they go in SL while 2 13 year olds battle it out in voice over who's mom they did...

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Discord is great. My World of Warcraft roleplay guild has been using it for around two years.

But I wouldn't know what Discord has to do with SL. Both are totally different things.

Not to mention that Catnap's description of Discord is only what she's experienced.

44 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Discord is great. My World of Warcraft roleplay guild has been using it for around two years.

But I wouldn't know what Discord has to do with SL. Both are totally different things.

IDK...I said I'm not on it but that's what friends tell me "you can be on SL while using Discord".   I know nothing about it other than it's popular.

Also, to the OP:  Events.  Events are a big thing in SL now too...that's probably where everyone is.  (lol)  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

Basically that.

I like to keep "that's not what your mom said last night" voice-overs from 13-year olds in FFXIV (and no longer WoW since they now require loyalty to Communist China and I'm descended from Hong Kongers), and not have them in SL...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It died for a couple of days about a year ago..We're just the ones that survived and have been repopulating it ever since..

We're coming back stronger than ever Baaaybah! \o/

It's SL3.0 The day after.

All these zombie movies...

Lately I've been wanting a sitcom-drama for what it's like 50 years AFTER the zombies win...

Now I realize... we're all already starring in it.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tarin Babenco said:

I felt the same when I returned earlier this year, but SL is the same in a way. It's a lively or as dead as you want it to be. There were some major changes while I was gone and I've spent my time trying to learn the things I missed. Find something to do, join some new groups. Also, mainland sort of does look like the day after the Apocalypse. I feel like I stepped out of Mad Max or The Walking Dead as I ride through abandoned regions on my horse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TVTuner said:

Do people assume Second Life is dead because they no longer get buried under 'grey goo' and inundated with unwanted ad-hoc conferences the moment they log in?

They assume it's dead because their friends list is mostly inactive, most of their bookmarks no longer work, and their groups are long abandoned.

What they're actually experiencing is natural churn. People leave, places close, but new people and places replace them on a daily basis. Active participants can keep up with said churn, but if they're inactive or only partially engaged, they have to go through the new player "explore and meet people" phase all over again.

But that requires a hint of self awareness. Better to just moan on the forums instead.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Oh, sorry I'm out of it because of the flu but I just brought up Discord because that's a hip, happening thing so I've heard and I thought perhaps the OP might like to find out about it.  That was my reason for bringing it up...just a suggestion for something new and different.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.