New Shiny or Putting Down Roots

Kat Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you think you'll find more value in trading out your LH for a different environs & decorator opportunities when new continents become available or will you  have such an attachment to a hard won Game of Homes, perfect spot that you stay put and just find ways other than house flipping to keep engaged in SL (or do you see SL as a thing to take periodic breaks from and come back when you miss it?) What do you see your strategy being going forward now that the break in period is over?

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 3

I’m actually finding that I’m just expanding my mainland home. Currently consolidating some other parcels and my camper is just hanging on in there. As to whether a new theme would attract me I don’t know. But it would only ever be a vacation home now... I NEED the larger parcel that the mainland provides to be my main home.

• Like 2

I think I’m looking to put down roots. When I’ve rented from private estates, I bounced around constantly. My inventory has a lot of houses that I would trade out. It’s been interesting to see how my search for the perfect Bellisseria home has refined my goal. Even with the choices available within the themes, I’ve generally picked one style of home and stuck with it. 

• Like 4

I feel you, LuLu; I've got boxes overflowing with homes & skyboxes & I've bounced all over mainland & a few estates over the years... but something about Bellisseria has made me feel less of a roamer & more of a gardener.  My wife & I splurged on getting a few premiums last year (before the long overdue sub hike), just for the fun of fishing for new homes. I'm going to let most of those age out to standards and we'll keep a couple of our older premium accounts right where they are since they've found campers and Victorians we love. Photography, getting re involved with a RP or two, and sailing/ train rides are on my menu for having a reason to stay active. I'll certainly visit new continents and cheer on the Mole ish creations to come, but as a sight seer. Bellisseria is too beautiful to leave, for me, I think.

• Like 4

I'm fairly happen with my current home locations, so I've stopped playing the house jumping game.  I'm still playing around with different  house styles and decorating schemes - so not tired of the homes that I have.  I honestly don't know what I'll do when new themes come out.  I don't want to give up anything I currently have, but just how many homes does a person really need?  

• Like 4

I've been bouncing around with my one account, and it's been an enjoyable / frustrating / intriguing experience. The thing that tells me I will probably move is that I sometimes get the itch to go back to a Meadowbrook house. I'm not going to now (unless I fall between the house hunting cracks) but the urge is because I'd still like a modern style home with larger windows, this time with a better view out and all the advantages that Belli has to offer. 

However, if I get that chance and then move back to the Alderley then I'll know I can settle properly!

• Like 3

I love my current location but it's a Traditional and I just don't live the traditionals.  I had Victorian in a nice spot and then grabbed the year on my alt and gave up the Vic. I don't need two homes . I also don't really need to have 2 premium accounts so Milly is house hunting.   

Although I may keep the current home because of the location. Who knows.

If I could put the Doyle on the spot I had I would stay.

But I also do enjoy the "catch and release" of house hunting just to see the locations and landscaping etc

• Like 5

I'll be staying put until something better comes along theme wise. Done my fair share of game of homes got the best location i'm likely to get with my Vic, absolutely loved the location i had in Heirlong for a short while prior to getting a Vic if i could afford to make an alt premium i would have kept it

• Like 5

I'm on my third Vic, my alt caught one and I've previously had another with this account, and I like this one the best so far. It's next to a little lake which I love,so I plan to settle here for a while.

My dream would be a coastal Vic but I don't want to play the game of homes again right now. My alt has a traditional that backs onto a road with a sandy beach. That's probably my favourite spot but I can't afford to keep my alt on premium.  

Like others, I've had various plots of land, even owned an island back in the day, and have lots of skyboxes and homes in my inventory. But none of them are as nice as the Vics. I love older homes in RL, my RL home is from the 1930s, so the Vic is aspirational to me. I'll stay put for a while. :) As far as SL goes, I've been coming and going for over fourteen years now! I don't think it's a habit that I'll ever break. 😁

• Like 6

at the moment i have 3 alt holding a camper, but only one is on the spot i'll never abandon without severe rl reason, the others are ready to travel again when new opportunities or themes are there, but currently enjoying their deserved rest after some weeks of hard work :)

big + .. they travel light because thei'r used to camping life now

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ill keep the victorian I have on this account, but I'm likely to go back to homestead living in the near future, I find the limitation of prims a huge factor for any furture living.  If I could rent more prims by x amount of $$ for X amount of prims I would actually go that method.  We will see Linden has an opportunity here to make things interesting by offering more prims to linden house owners.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Syane Jewell said:

We will see Linden has an opportunity here to make things interesting by offering more prims to linden house owners.

Given how many times Patch has said that the Linden Homes are limited for a reason, I can't see LL offering anything larger with more LI in Linden Homes.  I can see the upcoming Super Duper Premium level offer more tier for the money, which could encourage folks to go get more mainland.  While they could also create Linden Homes on larger plots for people with the higher Premium level, I just don't see it happening.  Especially since they still need to push out about 2-3 times as many homes as they've already done just to hit the total number that Patch says he needs to replace the current older homes and handle new people.

I keep my mainland, along with my Linden Homes, because I want something larger - mostly for a bigger build platform and to have a home where I can let more of my kitties run around.  I did downsize my mainland quite a bit though when the various alts got Linden Homes.   Depending on what the new Premium level offers, I might increase the Mainland size again.

• Like 5

I think I'm putting down roots. I'm completely in love with my new Traditional, believe or not, to me it's even better than my Victorian, which is in a corner by the river. It has taken me too long to get them both, and I'm feeling attached to them. If a new continent is released, or when the super premium is revealed, I'll try to make my partner upgrade his account again and see what shows up (or I'll upgraded for him if he refuses!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by Elena Core
In love with my Trad, not my Vic again LOL
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, LuLu Starbrook said:

My inventory has a lot of houses that I would trade out. It’s been interesting to see how my search for the perfect Bellisseria home has refined my goal.

Yeah.

The process of looking for spots in Bellisseria has really helped to figure out my ideal spot. I am realizing that it was a tiny plot of land I had on mainland back around 2013 or so... in a little island in a swamp like area of extremely old mainland that I seem to have no remaining SLURLs to so I can't figure out exactly where it was...

But the houseboat(s) I have now are just about the ideal replica of it.

New styles, when they come out; will need some serious hook to get me to move. I now know that SL is capable of giving me the kind of spot I find near perfect... so sticking it out is more attractive.

I've also got a huge inventory of houses and skyboxes... from that eternal search...

And on mainland I have what some would consider the perfect location - a double prim A-rated plot on a region with only 5 parcels that is maybe over 70% protected land with a bridge, river, and large mole build. But... it's sitting largely empty or filled with things I set up right before finding Bellisseria.

I said in another thread... the lindens seem to think Bellisseria is the starter and we should graduate to mainland - because that maybe WAS true of the old Linden Homes. We residents seem to be feeling the opposite... Bellisseria is where we're moving to; refugees from the mess of both mainland and estates. It's where we're ending up.

Right now I can't think of what kind of new home style would get me to leave what I have... but when it comes out, that may be different. With the homes I had in the past, even in Bellisseria; even when great, I knew they were only 'until I could get something better'.

• Like 6

New Shiny or Putting Down Roots

ummm ... both?

We have 4 properties that it would be REALLY HARD to let go, between us as a couple.  Neither of us are refreshing at all now.  We've already downsized one estate holding, and probably will drop a second one entirely, because of Belli.  But if/when a new theme comes out, I think it would be just irresistible to crank up a monthly alt and do a little refreshing, just to see what the theme's like to live in!

Will always keep some larger land holding somewhere, even if its in a cheap part of mainland, because buildbox. Now, if there were a premium buildbox that offered a week or so persistence .... but that would be impossible to administer, I suppose.

• Like 4

Both for me.

I have several, like @Nika Talaj that I would be hard pressed to let go of. I'm enjoying living in Bellisseria quite more than anticipated. I do have one or two that I could part with if a new theme came out that really appealed to me but it would have to be incredibly worthwhile. Most of the themes being tossed about don't interest me at all.

I also still have a home on a private estate that I'm loathe to part with because I've got so many houses in my inventory and I love creating new landscapess which obviously one can't do on the same scope in Belli. 

I did, however, scale down dramatically this year and probably could still cut it back a bit more.  

I like new. But new doesn't have to mean giving up where I am necessarily - hence why I need to keep hold of other land than just the Linden land. I'd feel really boxed in eventually mainly because of not being able to terraform in Belli - if we were able to do that it might push me towards getting rid of the private land completely (and maybe another 100 or so prims lol).

• Like 4

I'm definitely rooted and not totally sure why.  When I finally managed to get my Traditional there were several things I wasn't satisfied with, but with how hard it was to get one at the time I reasoned it was better to just wait till more homes were available.  That time came and past and I'm still in the same Trad.  I was impressed by the Victorians when they came out, but apparently not impressed enough to give up my Traditional.  Whatever new styles come will they appeal to me enough to finally cause me to move, or have I become too deeply rooted to this one house?

• Like 5

I love my Belli home; I've always wanted a place by the beach in SL and RL and the plot I have is so perfect so I can't imagine ever giving it up.

If anything will make me move it will be having more prims somewhere else and that depends on the benefits of the so-called Premium Plus.

Should any other style appeal to me then I'll most likely bump an alt back up to premium, but they'd have to be something special in order for me to consider moving.

After spending years feeling isolated and surrounded by horrific lag and ugly builds on Mainland and having my own expensive private regions I don't plan on going back to those exclusively, but again; prims are a determining factor. I plan to give Riley a sibling at some point and since the Animesh babies average between 75-150+ LI each (not counting furniture) I can't do that at present in Bellisseria. As for building, I don't need private space as I once did as I now just use premium sandboxes (and literally build in a skybox there to stop trolls on the ground driving their cars into my builds -.- ).

There's peace of mind in a Belli home too knowing that should I be offline for some period of time but continue to pay my account my home and contents will/should still be there where I left them when I get back. I've lost count the amount of times I've lost homes (and prims and gacha) over the years, and like others my inventory is overflowing with builds that never felt quite right anyway. Being "forced" to adapt to a certain style inspired me to build again instead of just buy and make-do.

Aesthetically I enjoy the appearance of neighbours around me that can't rez ugly, out-of-theme builds (though there's one notoriously I do de-render thanks to their bright blue and purple external walls, but that's still better odds than mainland). I enjoy not seeing ban-lines all around me, and best of all is probably the overall look of the continent. With all the details, the landscaping, the sounds, and the overall ambiance the LDPW have created - it feels homely. And that's something I rarely felt anywhere else in SL.

So for now; I'm putting down roots - and after all these years I'm very happy to do so.

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

*snip* ...the lindens seem to think Bellisseria is the starter and we should graduate to mainland - because that maybe WAS true of the old Linden Homes. We residents seem to be feeling the opposite... Bellisseria is where we're moving to; refugees from the mess of both mainland and estates. It's where we're ending up.

^ Exactly 100% this.

• Like 10

I would say both, but right now I am enjoying the homes I have right now.   I have a houseboat,  my beach house, my forest house and my victorian.  I just love all 4, they are all unique and give me a different feel.  At this point I am happy with all the parcels I have and I am not going to try rerolling any of them at this point.   I am taking a break from hopping around for now.

I don't think I will be able to put roots down totally until i see all the themes because I am really enjoying the new shiny.  I know darn well when the new themes come out I am going to want to try them.

• Like 3

I've mentioned before that I tend to be a nomad, and that I also tend to keep at least a few lot of "homes" going at any one time so I can bounce around among them. (Plus, it keeps my partner on his toes. lol) 

Right now, I'm not playing GOH because I really like the houseboat, camper, and two Vics that I have. I gave up a good number of my Mainland holdings to be able to have a few spots to play with in Belli, so I'm curious to see what upcoming themes will offer. At that point, I will have to make up my mind between the Victorians, because I am NOT going to upgrade any more alts, but I will almost surely want to play GOH for a bit again. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Now I don't feel as much like a freak stuck between two houseboats... :P

I'm still holding two Traditionals that I can't decide between (plus a houseboat and a camper).  I'm trying out different styles on each of them with different add-ons and decorating.  Eventually, I'll figure something out... maybe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think I've put down roots for now with my Victorian. I've traded off from my first Traditional and then to my cute camper...not a houseboat person. I do enjoy decorating and setting up a new place to live so if I get bored with the the Shelley, I'll just switch out to one of the other Victorian model homes. I still have a small parcel on a private estate, mainly because I do enjoy having four seasons with a deep freeze winter snow and ice in a medieval/Victorian theme.  Of course, there is always that tempting new theme somewhere in the future....

Edited by Eleanor Anderton
  • Like 1

It is in my nature to swap up things in SL because it is easy compared to RL. I was lucky enough to get a sea location in the first batch of homes released. For at least 2 months, it was like a honeymoon, I was sure I would stay there for ever. My alt had a boat, and I got tired of it first and tried to get the desirable place on end of a row.

After trying to catch a perfect boat, I found out that boats was not for me. And then my alt got a better place with less lag. So I gave up the house I thought I should keep for ever.

I have changed places often and have a Victorian and a Traditional in 2 good places. I did sign up another alt for a year when it was on offer. So she has my third Linden Home, but that is ready to be abandoned if I want to. I have been tired of GoH and haven't been in that since Victorians came out. I do envy people who are still in the game and get dream places. I must come clear and say that. But I am not in the mood for house hunt or house decor.

It was fun to work with 351 LI and make the best out of it, but that isn't so interesting anymore. I am more than ready for more Li. No one has promised us more land/Li with Super Premium, but it will be disappointing for me if that isn't a SP perk. At this moment, I can not see any other reason to pay up for SP. My RL can also have something to do with the general feeling of disinterest in more house decorating just now. 

I will move to another style Linden Home if I like it. I did not like the Campers and that was good. Because if I had liked every style, I would be tempted to keep one of each. A new theme that I like, will be enough to make me exited again. Even if it is 351 Li. I like new and shiny.

Edited by Marianne Little
spelling
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.