Scenario: Yay. It's another day at work....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been doing IT and database work for about 35 years now and while I still love very much what I do, there are definitely times when I don't like so much where I'm doing it.  My current job lets me work from home a lot and that helps quite a bit.  When I get to where I dread going to the job on a regular basis, and if a vacation does not help, then I know its time to look for a new place.  Sometimes, I just need a few extra mental health days away from the place.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You go slowly to your cubicle and get ready to your daily paperwork. The boss, looking as stern as ever, is watching everyone's moves. You sigh and look out the window. "It's such a beautiful day," you think, "Why can't you go out?"

As you continue to look out the window, something catches your eye: a handsome or beautiful person of the gender of your preference. You stop and can't help but admire him or her. Your desire to leave the office gets even stronger - such that you desperately want to meet that dreamy guy or girl.

What do you do?

Nice to see you back, Gopi.

I've had some rotten bosses and equally rotten jobs, but the truth of the matter is that there are bills to pay. That's a sure thing. A dreamy other is just that, a dream. I'd look out the window as much as possible.

I know that's a buzzkill answer but... :::shrugs:::

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

I'm a bookbinder.

Like this, you mean?

il_570xn-574721752_5nfx.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Kinda hard when you own the business! In my case a small bar! :D

Do you hate it?  If so, it's even easier for you to change careers than it is for an employee.  Sell up, open another business.  (Although I must admit, a bar's about the most recession-proof business I can think of.)

Sorry to be the downer here, but please keep in mind when even considering acting out on such fantasies that this other person does not exist to make your life complete. Sure, perhaps they are single and lonely and you would be just what they need (you seem like a sweet, sensitive person :) ), but remember they are their own unique human being, and completely differentiate from you at this point, however possible may you be their soulmate.

Of course, a person can build and live a whole life in their head around someone, and get a lot of pleasure and fulfillment from that, with no risk of the potential tragedies happening that others have proposed. I am not suggesting finding your happiness only in your head, but rather saying that crushes based on nothing but superficial interactions often fare better there. As others have said, meaningful relationships are built on actual shared experiences and interactions, getting to know and value and treasure the wonders that are a person you love.

FWIW,

Caerolle :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Do you hate it?  If so, it's even easier for you to change careers than it is for an employee.  Sell up, open another business.  (Although I must admit, a bar's about the most recession-proof business I can think of.)

The bar is a lot of fun and it's been around since the early 60s although we recently acquired it. The previous owners were retiring and was going to close it --- but we didn't want to see that. Funny thing we were retired then bought the place! :D

• Like 1

Do nothing, because me sitting outside is how I always work on beautiful days. It's best when my supervisor drives in to the campus, (once every month or two), parks and comes and sits with me. I do the same at home when working on my business, coffee, breather, smell the plentiful roses, jasmine. tiger lily. 8^)

19 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

You have to keep a roof over your head, so you can't do it as flippantly as I first jokingly suggested, but never let a miserable job hold you back from finding your bliss. You will never look back on life and think, "gee, I wish I'd worked harder at that soul-sucking cubicle job." Get your resume all nice and shiny and send anywhere that looks interesting to you even if it's not even close to what you're doing now. You never know what'll happen and it just could be a HUGE turning point towards happiness and fulfillment! 

This is absolute truth.

I was working a thermal engineering job and getting multiple degrees, and sort of fell into a part time security guard gig on the weekends. I had so much fun, I switched careers completely. I'm making about a third of the salary I would have had I stayed where I was, but I don't regret it at all. I now have a full time job in the field with fun hours, a beautiful location, people that respect me, and every day is new and interesting. I've done everything from stray animal rescue to setting up a makeshift landing zone for a medical helicopter alongside a local fire department.

A cubicle sounds like hell.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 9:26 AM, Orwar said:

On 11/18/2019 at 6:40 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Has it occurred to you that you may actually be someone else's "dream guy or girl"?

Aw, Scylla I'm still your worst nightmare though, right? ❤️

Sort of more like a really interesting, if slightly terrifying, acid flashback. 😉

Heya @Gopi Passiflora - Since there seems to be some questions regarding the type of answers you were looking for, can you give us a little insight into the basis of your question? At first I thought it was the beginning of one of those create-your-own-story threads, but then I saw it differently, especially in light of the previous thread you started. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Heya @Gopi Passiflora - Since there seems to be some questions regarding the type of answers you were looking for, can you give us a little insight into the basis of your question? At first I thought it was the beginning of one of those create-your-own-story threads, but then I saw it differently, especially in light of the previous thread you started. 

Honestly, I think he just likes to post vague pseudo questions to change up the discussion from MSMA and truck nuts and when are we getting last names!?I want to change my last name *arr arr arr!* type discussions.

But then they start getting a little heavy, because people start projecting their stuff on them.

They’re kind of litmus test questions....which I actually like.

18 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Honestly, I think he just likes to post vague pseudo questions to change up the discussion from MSMA and truck nuts and when are we getting last names!?I want to change my last name *arr arr arr!* type discussions.

Are you certain you're not the one projecting?

406206517_tenor(1).gif.553dcbeb2887bb792a444b3360b2c0c4.gif

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm just bored I guess, sorry to disappoint. I just want to make up a hypothetical situation and see how people respond to it.

Although this situation is inspired in part by a Disney animated short I watched a few years ago. I guess, if you want to look at it that way, another reason for me asking the question is that I am projecting something I'm sure all of us can relate to: being in an unpleasant situation and longing for something more...like romance, perhaps?

I apologize if my response is a little vague yet again.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I'm just bored I guess, sorry to disappoint. I just want to make up a hypothetical situation and see how people respond to it.

Although this situation is inspired in part by a Disney animated short I watched a few years ago. I guess, if you want to look at it that way, another reason for me asking the question is that I am projecting something I'm sure all of us can relate to: being in an unpleasant situation and longing for something more...like romance, perhaps?

I apologize if my response is a little vague yet again.

I thought it was a cool question tbh! I got it...keep doing it! I honestly love questions like that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Not disappointed in the slightest! 

In case you haven't noticed, I love talking about all sorts of stuff, and sometimes these forums do get a little boring and it's great to mix it up. 

Keep doing it, please!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

That's really awesome. How did you learn bookbinding?

The hard way. Self-taught for a year, then employed for two years, then I figured that maybe I should actually learn how to do it, and went to a bookbinding school, currently in my third year.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.