OMG! AVATAR

Christy Costanza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OMG! Am I the only person who's been on second life for quite some time and still can not get their avatar appearance right? No matter how many make overs, no matter how many skins I buy i just can't get it to look.... idk? It really plays on my mind too when I meet other people who's avatars are just awesome!!!! it's like Okay forget it i'll just be invisible. *turns on invisible avatar* 

Also my avatar is six years old but i only started using it three years ago but i've been struggling to get it right ever since. 

Is this only me? I'd hope not. 

I've been playing with my appearance since 2007.  Mostly little tweaks, but I've made a couple of big changes along the way.  Most recently, when I bought a LAQ head, I changed everything.  Now I'm back to making a few fiddly tweaks here and there.  It never ends. Don't obsess about it.  It's all part of the fun.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I've been playing with my appearance since 2007.  Mostly little tweaks, but I've made a couple of big changes along the way.  Most recently, when I bought a LAQ head, I changed everything.  Now I'm back to making a few fiddly tweaks here and there.  It never ends. Don't obsess about it.  It's all part of the fun.

ok... I thought you were asking for help and I see it is just a drama thread. ; 0

• Confused 5

27 minutes ago, FashionEye said:

OMG! Am I the only person who's been on second life for quite some time and still can not get their avatar appearance right? No matter how many make overs, no matter how many skins I buy i just can't get it to look.... idk? It really plays on my mind too when I meet other people who's avatars are just awesome!!!! it's like Okay forget it i'll just be invisible. *turns on invisible avatar* 

Also my avatar is six years old but i only started using it three years ago but i've been struggling to get it right ever since. 

It took me 10 years to get my system  AV just the way I wanted it. And then came mesh bodies. Yeah... still tweaking on it. No, no twerking! Tweaking! Get yer mind outta da gutta. :D

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

oh , my bad, sorry Rolig my apologies I was snarky to you.

Heh ... If that's the worst that anyone says to me this week, I'll be fine.  I don't do drama, so I just figured you must have had a rough weekend.  We're cool, Tarina.  😉

• Like 8

4 hours ago, FashionEye said:

i just can't get it to look.... idk?

Herein lies the heart of the matter. You don't KNOW what you want to look like, so you can't get it right. Your strategy is therefore to just try out new looks. Statistically, there are almost infinite different looks and thus, the chance of finding the right one by chance is astronomically small. The best strategy is to set a time limit*. Choose the best outfit from the range of outfits you evaluated within a two-hour time span (or whatever time span you find convenient and practically acceptable) and just wear the dam thing until the next day. Rince, repeat. By doing to, you're already doing what only the top 0.001% can afford to do IRL (I'm talking Paris Hilton and Imelda Marcos here), so you should be proud.

* You could do time span, but budget size could be another healthy criterion to set, to prevent having to obsessively spend a lifetime or a fortune searching for the perfect outfit.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FashionEye said:

Hey! I feel you actually, but thats one of the fun in SL, at least thats what I felt for me. Its an urge for me to change my appearance, since i like dressing up and tweaking my avi, periodically. First i thought its not normal, wrong and etc etc. Made me go into stress mode cause cant be just one character with one ideal look and one ideal thing to do. 

But then I realise, thats something i love to do always, especially virtually, and why change it in SL. Now, whenever i feel like changing something in my avi, i just do it and create a story for it, and go with the flow.

Key point is, just go with flow, do whatever you feel right. After all, there is nothing to lose.

Enjoy!

Edited by SusanPoora
Typooooo
  • Like 2

A pic would give us an idea of where you are, plus credits for head, skin, body and hair.

And also some idea if what you want your avi to look like, although it seems even you don't know.  My starting position was my own RL skin and hair, then perfected with sliders.

For my alts I started from a bought in shape which I liked and worked from that.

• Like 1

I really don’t think OP is asking for help. They just want to know do people change their appearance/are unhappy with how their avatar looks often.

Short answer is yes and yes, it’s pretty normal. With so many options it’s not surprising either.

I change my appearance often, it’s not because I don’t like how I look. I just like trying out new things, because it’s fun. There is a point in the process where I know the avatar isn’t quite where I want it and I keep making little changes until I say “yeah...that’s it..I like that!” I save it, wear it for a few months then do it all over again. 

I agree with the others though, you have to have an idea of what you want to start though, that and a good understanding that there are limitations when it comes to making an avatar. Some things you might want just aren’t possible.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FashionEye said:

It really plays on my mind too when I meet other people who's avatars are just awesome!!!! it's like Okay forget it i'll just be invisible. *turns on invisible avatar*

Solution:

Sure, it's copycat.  But you will be awesome...and you can springboard from there to try other things and look even MORE awesome.

• Like 3

I will say that from my observation, the options are so many and the great results you encounter among others in world are so complicatedly constructed -- even if by done by haphazard accident, the arrangements themselves are complex because the ability to customize is wide, the sliders are sensitive, the combinations so broad, and that means even if you bought all the things that went in to making that ONE avatar you saw in world, you might find you can't seem to ever duplicate it.  You would almost need a list of some 20 or 40 exact factors and minute adjustments or MORE to duplicate in minute detail that which you saw, if you could even get such a list.  That is a high bar.  Mesh body components can look very similar in world or they can look highly individualistic because of the attentions different people apply to them in different ways.

That brings a final point.  Creating avatars is essentially the work of art,  and art is never just duplicating a mental vision you hold because creativity always entails exploration and discovery,  and that opens attractive unexpected pathways you hadn't foreseen and that catch your attention and your wonder.   So while trying to make a face look exactly one particular ideal way you might accidentally discover real surprises that marvel and attract you in different ways.  If you then turned your attention to that and pursue it and build upon it and then use it a while, you will likely in time look back at that one ideal you held in such esteem and realize you like what you have put together even better.   To my mind, this is how art works -- yes it's conception and approach but it is also about discovery and snatching that little golden ring from the dragon's lair when you stumble upon it.  And, thanking the goddess as you dash away with it.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FashionEye said:

I am constantly in awe of other peoples avatars and tweaking my own.  I make adjustments all the time and complete re-works at least twice a year.  I get what I think is perfect but in just a few days I see all the glaring "Whisky Tango Foxtrot was I thinking" parts and start all over.  Right now what is bothering me is my hideously shaped butt.  It bulges in all the wrong places and when I try to fix it, it becomes a flat and shapeless block. 

Sometimes you just got to take a break and quit staring at the problem so you can see what you need to do with fresh eyes later.

• Like 3

I've had this problem with one particular avatar of mine. She started out good but when I decided to pick a new look it was skin after skin with constant reshaping of the face and body. This went on for years. In that time I made other avatars and they just clicked. Sometimes it's like you put down the paintbrush because your creation is done. But every time I logged in this avatar was always never quite right. I think it has something to do with closely you invest yourself into an avatar.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Sometimes you just got to take a break and quit staring at the problem so you can see what you need to do with fresh eyes later.

This. So much this. When you get frustrated leave it alone for a while. Get your mind off it. Then go back and take a fresh look. Take your time when you look again and then plan your adjustments because sometimes you can change an area and it will affect another area (minor but enough to notice) so you'll want to plan to make small adjustments in more than one area sort of like how you don't just grab one corner of an object to enlarge it if you want it to stay very close to its position, you enlarge in small amounts using at least two opposite corners. (Changing the size of an object will change its position.) The same technique applies to avatars.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I am constantly in awe of other peoples avatars and tweaking my own.  I make adjustments all the time and complete re-works at least twice a year.  I get what I think is perfect but in just a few days I see all the glaring "Whisky Tango Foxtrot was I thinking" parts and start all over.  Right now what is bothering me is my hideously shaped butt.  It bulges in all the wrong places and when I try to fix it, it becomes a flat and shapeless block. 

OMG this is so true. For A few days after a makeover I feel great then I stare at it a little more.... then a bit more.... then ughhhhhhhh loooooool 

• Like 1

After years of wrestling with shape sliders and Photoshop, in search of the "perfect Maddy", I gave up and succumbed to a little devil avatar gifted to me by @Parhelion Palou. That's still a better presentation of me than anything I've ever created, but that hasn't stopped me from trying. Here's my latest effort...

Don't worry about what other people think of your avatar. Don't worry about what you think of your avatar, either. Just pick something and go with it.

Or ignore my sage advice.

I will.

• Like 6

On 8/19/2019 at 8:14 PM, FashionEye said:

OMG this is so true. For A few days after a makeover I feel great then I stare at it a little more.... then a bit more.... then ughhhhhhhh loooooool 

This ^^^ is normal :)

PS......in fact I reckon there's some biological rewiring going on somehow......maybe it's familiarity. I dunno, but on my alts, I work very hard to get the ultimate look.....in my own eyes obviously. Then after a few days...…...I find it just doesn't give me that initial buzz, so I rework things very gently, and so it repeats.

I wonder if this is why super attractive people in RL never seem to appreciate what they have, and some still go under the knife to "improve"...….

Edited by BelindaN
PS added. The dangers of thinking!
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.