Why is it not "right" to play as a different race but...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can totally RP as a different age, species, hell some people even do different orientations that how they align in real life. Why is all that a-ok but the moment someone like myself wants to play as a Korean for a genuine love of the their culture (beyond kpop, believe me) I'm looked at like a villain. Explain to me this? 

we had this subject not to long ago, it won't be too hard to dig it up and read.

These threads go nasty fast and give Lindens and users headaches .. removal of posts, mostly leading to closing of the trhead.
It's pretty easy : nobody in SL is as in RL.

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 5

Is this bait or are you serious? Because if you are serious and are really not doing anything offensive (like portraying a race that's not your own in a stereotypical or harmful way) then I don't see why you'd come here with what I'm reading as anger while trying to justify yourself. But maybe I'm over thinking this because my gut's telling me this is bait to cause drama. Disengaging now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jihyoflight said:

... I'm looked at like a villain. Explain to me this? 

Shouldn’t you ask those who look at you like a villain? I’m indifferent to your RL/SL races.

If you are portraying someone from a different ethnicity than your own and you are doing so respectfully and in a way to not be offensive, then I think the problem is with those that you say are treating you as a villain.  I would suggest hanging out with different people or at a different location.

• Like 9

I think that in the last discussion on this topic, the general consensus was that it's fine to portray yourself as another race as long as you're doing it respectfully. Of those who dissented, I think the argument came down to the questionable issue of presenting yourself as a representative of a minority group of which you are not actually part, because of the possible disadvantages or prejudices the group faces.

But I think you knew that.

Unless, of course, you actually meant Gorean and that's an auto-correct fail. If someone goes round as a Gorean, it should be obvious why everyone thinks they're an arsing great pillock.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I
Unless, of course, you actually meant Gorean and that's an auto-correct fail. If someone goes round as a Gorean, it should be obvious why everyone thinks they're an arsing great pillock.

But - you mean my Robe of the G P that cost the souls of a thousand bints (small freshwater fish) is worthless? By the great Stone etc...

13 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

But - you mean my Robe of the G P that cost the souls of a thousand bints (small freshwater fish) is worthless? By the great Stone etc...

I know that's not Gorean because I can understand far too many words in it. Please go and get your kajagoogoo to pour you some pugwash, then Macca Pacca your Iggle Piggle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fox Wijaya said:

we had this subject not to long ago, it won't be too hard to dig it up and read.

These threads go nasty fast and give Lindens and users headaches .. removal of posts, mostly leading to closing of the trhead.
It's pretty easy : nobody in SL is as in RL.

minus the furry, I am whom I have said I am all along, personality, ect does not change once I logout.  I bring me into SL :)   I dislike lying to people.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jihyoflight said:

You can totally RP as a different age, species, hell some people even do different orientations that how they align in real life. Why is all that a-ok but the moment someone like myself wants to play as a Korean for a genuine love of the their culture (beyond kpop, believe me) I'm looked at like a villain. Explain to me this? 

Why not ask the ones that have a problem with it, what the problem is?

This way you get an answer from the source rather than opinions from outside the situation.

• Like 7

If doing so openly as an homage to the culture, go for it. If ypu have been pretending to people that you are asian in rl, that is another thing. It sounds like the former, but it could also be a case of people thinking you are rping and they are not, so it gets tricky. Yesterday a cat came to visit, if no name over head I would have though a rezzable roaming etc. You can be whatever you like, but those around you need to want to be on board. 

The thread makes no sense.

1. You are what you want to be. Point.

2. Others don't know what you are in RL so their opinions about this matter is irrelevant.

If you are a dog in SL some ppl might suspect that you are something different in RL though - maybe a cat - that is of course very serious. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

While the OP seems a bit like bait, I'm curious about the topic. For my ten year rez date, just recently, I decided I wanted a whole different avatar. For 10 years I've usually been a pale brunette with green eyes, like I am in RL. As you can tell by my profile picture, I went a different route. So far I've had no negative comments, and I'm not sure why I would. I'm not even "role-playing" a different race. My avatar is black, but my words, actions, interests, hangouts, etc. are the same as they've always been, which is basically "me" in digital form. I did/do have some concerns about being perceived as being disrespectful, or culturally appropriating, or some such, but I'm not and I haven't had any flack.

bksr2_001ps.png

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

...I am whom I have said I am all along, personality, ect does not change once I logout.  I bring me into SL :)   I dislike lying to people.

With the possible exception of some really skilled roleplayers, I think most of us bring "who we are" with us into SL, no matter what outward appearance we choose to adopt.  It's almost impossible to "lie" about your own nature.  As the old saying goes, "No matter where you go...there you are."

But I think your post is referring to physical appearance, and there I disagree.  MOST people's avatars are a "lie" in the sense you mean it.  And I don't think that is a bad thing, as long as we aren't doing it with evil intent.

To the OP:  Be a Korean, or a Gorean, or a southern belle, or a German bodybuilder, or a Thing From Beyond Space, and enjoy.

• Like 1

This:

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm not even "role-playing" a different race. My avatar is black, but my words, actions, interests, hangouts, etc. are the same as they've always been, which is basically "me" in digital form. I did/do have some concerns about being perceived as being disrespectful, or culturally appropriating, or some such, but I'm not and I haven't had any flack.

and this:

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

With the possible exception of some really skilled roleplayers, I think most of us bring "who we are" with us into SL, no matter what outward appearance we choose to adopt.  It's almost impossible to "lie" about your own nature.  As the old saying goes, "No matter where you go...there you are."

TBH, I don't think the OP is here anymore, or actually cares what we or anyone else thinks: I suspect that this was a "getting it off my chest" kind of post, or maybe seeking affirmation.

To the OP, though, just in case: you don't say who has been complaining. Have you heard complaints from people who are actually in RL Korean, at least putatively? If so, then maybe it might be a valuable exercise to think about the basis for those complaints? I think being self-aware and reflective about any kind of representation that takes you outside of your RL experience is really important, be it gender, sexual orientation, class, or race. To repeat something I've said elsewhere: if you are walking in with a set and static idea of what your representation is going to be, you're in danger of not "representing" but rather parodying. Your representation needs to be a dynamic and a learning experience.

The real danger here comes, I think, from trying to depict something you have only outside knowledge of (however complete that knowledge may be). As Seicher and Lindal say, be yourself, whatever your choice of how you look.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, jihyoflight said:

Not all people are ok with the different RP examples that you give and not all people are ok with changing race. Personally, I'm ok with everything. But, the thing to consider is that the people who are not OK with your particular RP may simply be a very small number of people. Do you place your self worth on the opinion of maybe 3 people? Your genuine love of the culture makes me think that you're doing so respectfully and if a few people have a problem with it you should not be bothered by it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.