⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

As far as I know, most moles are not Lindens (but instead work as contractors), and from my experience talking with one in the past, I believe they do operate under the same building rules as everyone else when it comes to things like mesh, LI, etc. Sure, they can rez stuff where we can't, and edit things we cannot, but that's just a matter of land perms they are given.

My assumption is that the box is 5 LI simply because of the various buttons attached to it. I would think that if the moles did have magical powers that allowed them to set any LI they wanted to anything they wanted, surely they would not have left the security panel at 5 LI.

O, I agree. :) And I don't meant to say they could change LI on the spot (with the edit button); but, like with the trees, I'm sure that's a database overide somewhere for 'special cases'. And maybe they could add the controller to that group?

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

O, I agree. :) And I don't meant to say they could change LI on the spot (with the edit button); but, like with the trees, I'm sure that's a database overide somewhere for 'special cases'. And maybe they could add the controller to that group?

I have never heard of that, but maybe my moley friend was holding out on me. lol  

• Moles

There are the laws of Linden and there are the laws of Nature.  The gods of Linden let moles bend some of their laws if we promise to be very, very careful, but even they cannot bend the laws of Nature. 

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I have never heard of that, but maybe my moley friend was holding out on me. lol  

Those old trees was kind of a while back, like years, cuz they're, you know, old. :) And some of those were reasonably complex too, and couldn't possibly have been truly 1 prim only (they didn't even have LI at the time). They had some other 'weird' properties too (like root that could go underneath your land surface).** Point just is, if Linden wants to put an object into a 'special cases' class, database-wise, they can easily do so, of course: their world, their rules.

** I'll see if I can still dig up one of those old trees (if I still have them), and examine them further.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

There are the laws of Linden and there are the laws of Nature.  The gods of Linden let moles bend some of their laws if we promise to be very, very careful, but even they cannot bend the laws of Nature. 

Had a kind of poetry to it. 😄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

like with the trees

There's nothing "like" the Linden plants. They're extraordinarily bizarre bits of geometry, not to mention the weirdness of their asset attributes. (Did you know, for example, that all Linden grasses, regardless of how they looked when rezzed, revert in appearance to the same "species" when a region is restarted? That's not a feature.)

(Also, I gotta say, if the Moles could magically manipulate Land Impact, they should cast a glance at some of the items in the new Linden Homes content pack. You know what I mean.)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

There's nothing "like" the Linden plants. They're extraordinarily bizarre bits of geometry, not to mention the weirdness of their asset attributes. (Did you know, for example, that all Linden grasses, regardless of how they looked when rezzed, revert in appearance to the same "species" when a region is restarted? That's not a feature.)

(Also, I gotta say, if the Moles could magically manipulate Land Impact, they should cast a glance at some of the items in the new Linden Homes content pack. You know what I mean.)

Sadly, I don't know what you mean, as I didn't get a new home yet. *pout*

But yes, Moles can't change LI; but if Linden Lab itself decided that some objects will just have 1 LI, they could of course do so.

• Like 1

• Moles

We use the same tools you do. We have no special abilities, no god powers, no secret upload portal that lets us give a mesh with a million triangles 1LI... To my knowledge the only thing we do have is our objects are immune to being returned for encroachment, which was done so the mainland roads that have an edge crossing a parcel somewhere deep underground wouldn't suddenly disappear overnight. We leverage that one special ability for Linden Homes so the house cannot be returned by the parcel owner.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Now my direct reply to the above-quoted comment: Not a condescending judgmental statement; it is fact: The squeakiest wheel (loudest) is more often than not only one of four; it is the minority. Anyone pushing a shopping cart more than once in any grocery store or other shopping venues already knows this clearly. And though the other "vocal group" (that would be "vocal majority") a.k.a. "wheels of the cart" may be vocal (making noise), that one wheel is still the loudest and most shrill. is it not?

Well, I am referring specifically to the condescending judgmental statements that are quite evident in these, and really any forums regardless of where they are.

The argument is always between two vocal minorities when compared to the community as a whole.  In the Second Life "community", those who participate in these forums are definitely a minority. The majority either don't know the forums exist, or don't care - they prefer to use their available time to enjoy SL, not bicker about it in the forums.  By choice or by circumstance, they remain blissfully ignorant of the goings on here.  When it comes to SL ( as it relates to the forums ) the majority is silent.

For anyone worried about the LI of the security system, for now at least, you can still use other security orbs as long as they follow the same restrictions as the LL provide one - regarding the area it is allowed to cover and the amount of warning time it must give and the fact that it must 'eject from parcel' and not 'TP home'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This might be crazy . . . but it occurs to me wonder if the LI for the new LL security system might be intentional and might be a good thing. LL says they want a social place and that orbs run contrary to that desire. So maybe a little bit of a cost to interfere with or act contrary to the social nature that LL is seeking makes sense. It's not a large cost. But a small cost in terms of LI could be desirable?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

This might be crazy . . . but it occurs to me wonder if the LI for the new LL security system might be intentional and might be a good thing. LL says they want a social place and that orbs run contrary to that desire. So maybe a little bit of a cost to interfere with or act contrary to the social nature that LL is seeking makes sense. It's not a large cost. But a small cost in terms of LI could be desirable?

Yes, enforced or coerced community participation has been practiced for years in assisted living and mental health facilities.

What's next?  Assigned friends?

Maybe it is intentional, exactly as you suggest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Female Winslet said:

Personally, I don't have a problem with 5 LI. Thing is, if your prims-left situation comes down to 5 LI or less, then I'd say it's time to start optimizing elsewhere first. :) 

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, rtthgrls said:

My linden home security did not work. House was locked and a man came in and would not leave. What are my next steps to secure my home. very uncomfortable feeling

When you say the house was locked, do you mean that the doors were just locked? Or did you have the actual security orb set? 

If you only have the doors locked, someone can get in by just sitting on something inside the house, TPing in, etc. To totally keep intruders out, you would need to use an orb. LL has provided one in the contents pack that you can get by clicking on your mailbox.

ETA: Also, if you are the owner of the parcel, you should be able to just eject someone who overstays his welcome. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
4 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

If you only have the doors locked, someone can get in by just sitting on something inside the house, TPing in, etc.

A wise friend once told me "Locks are there to keep honest people honest." Locked doors just let people know you don't want visitors. They don't really do much to "secure" any home in SL. If they want to get inside anyway they will.  That is why you have the ability to eject and ban any person from your land who chooses to ignore that or doesn't get the hint. You also have the security orb in the content pack you can use. Once it is set up they will be ejected if they don't leave.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, rtthgrls said:

My linden home security did not work. House was locked and a man came in and would not leave. What are my next steps to secure my home. very uncomfortable feeling

Click on the avatar -> more -> eject.

Then, open Land from top of screen, choose Access, and place his name on "Always banned".

This should work, but if you have the Security System installed and it does not work, you should file a support ticket.

landban_003.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 11:32 AM, Blush Bravin said:

If only I knew how to script. :)

So if anyone who scripts out there would like to make a device like this and put it for sale ..... I'd certainly be in line to buy it as I'm sure others would find it valuable as well.

I belong to the RCX group, and recon86 made a nifty Parcel Avi Scanner that does just that! Maybe contact him and see if you can get it!!

On 5/3/2019 at 4:26 PM, Pamsterdam said:

I belong to the RCX group, and recon86 made a nifty Parcel Avi Scanner that does just that! Maybe contact him and see if you can get it!!

Thanks .. but all's well now that I know a person cannot see me if I don't have the "avatars on other parcels..." checked even if they are in the same parcel with me unless they are within 40 meters of me. I had personal reasons for preventing someone from taking pics of me unaware. So now with the way the system works and that sight limitation in place I don't have any need for the other device.

• Like 3

On 4/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, Abnor Mole said:

To  be fair, there is probably should to be a short grace period so people can get used to the new rules and try out the new orb. 

If you find someone with an improperly set security orb the first thing you should probably do is kindly send them a link to this forum thread. They may just not know and don't realize what they are doing isn't going to be allowed anymore. If enough of their nice friendly neighbors nudge them in that direction they might even say thank you. ;)

If they just seem to ignore everyone, then yes... send an abuse report and their improperly set orb will be returned to them (which should get their attention). 

This orb got me while flying over residential homes at 410 meters height, and TP'ed me home. Helicopter probably crashed somewhere, or is hovering without a pilot. Orb had a 3 sec warning to 6000 meters for entire parcel and was set to send you Home (another continent for me.)  AR them?  Maybe the neighbors would like to, but I don't want some hothead harassing me for sending them a polite IM to read this thread.  That should be a friend/neighbor's job, or Linden Labs job to enforce the orb settings.  Orb was on Phinney region.

Phinney Orb crop.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

This orb got me while flying over residential homes at 410 meters height, and TP'ed me home. Helicopter probably crashed somewhere, or is hovering without a pilot. Orb had a 3 sec warning to 6000 meters for entire parcel and was set to send you Home (another continent for me.)  AR them?  Maybe the neighbors would like to, but I don't want some hothead harassing me for sending them a polite IM to read this thread.  That should be a friend/neighbor's job, or Linden Labs job to enforce the orb settings.  Orb was on Phinney region.

Phinney Orb crop.png

Well you should give us the exact position of this fierce orb, or nobody can do anything about it.

Edited by Leora Jacobus

Not too many brick fences on Phinney. What do you know, turns out it is one of the houses I look upon every day. Reported.

I would encourage pilots to report such incidents to LL though, even if you don't live on Bellisseria. That's you who suffer first and foremost from people setting out agressive orbs. Neighbors might not have the slightest idea, because they don't travel air, for example, or just prefer to explore regions far away from home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

From my experience most people simply are not aware and set whatever orb they have the way they want like they are used to doing in the past on mainland. Once the Covenant is pointed out to them they change the setting or use the one provided in the content pack instead.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.