⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Abnor Mole said:

It will not operate if the unit itself is placed above 100m. You cannot set it to run if it is over 100m (or until you get to 2000m, in which case it works again). It still scans for avatars above and below the unit within the range you set. The *maximum* area it would be effective in at ground level is 0-400m (or 2000-4096m for skyboxes)

Thanks Abnor, i was just editing my post as you replied, as upon re-reading a few times, I understood it. (2am = brain not working) 😊

• Like 1

• Moles
20 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

@Patch Linden

What I'm wondering is with there being a ceiling on the system, it seems it would be possible for someone to fly above that ceiling and inside the parcel and then just hang out up there taking pics or whatever and not be removed by the system? Am I reading that wrong? If this is the case is it possible to change the parameters of the option that limits whether people outside the parcel can see and hear what you are doing so that those who are 100m in elevation cannot see inside the parcel below 100m?

What I would do in that case if it were me and I was worried about that is create an object that would quietly scan the parcel. If it detects someone in the air "hanging out" 500 or 1000m in the sky and I'm on the parcel too, it would IM me "John288339 is hovering over your land". Then I could decide what I wanted to do about it. Ignore them? Manually eject them? Ban them? Maybe just IM them directly and ask "Can I help you?" so they know I know they are there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

What I would do in that case if it were me and I was worried about that is create an object that would quietly scan the parcel. If it detects someone in the air "hanging out" 500 or 1000m in the sky and I'm on the parcel too, it would IM me "John288339 is hovering over your land". Then I could decide what I wanted to do about it. Ignore them? Manually eject them? Ban them? Maybe just IM them directly and ask "Can I help you?" so they know I know they are there. 

If only I knew how to script. :)

So if anyone who scripts out there would like to make a device like this and put it for sale ..... I'd certainly be in line to buy it as I'm sure others would find it valuable as well.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Boyd Wolfhunter said:

I still think you need to have community's with different maturity levels as in adult and G to not leave any one out. as I would hate to be doing adult things with my partner and some one walks in snaps a shot and reports us and she and I  get kicked out of SL for it. I was told long ago you can do these things in your home by lindens. closed doors . 

No, Lindens don't ban you for getting intimate in your own house, that would be silly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

It’s time to add a bit of Linden-approved security to your new homes!

In the interest of creating a more welcoming community experience while still allowing for personal security, we’ve released the official Linden Homes Security System to your Content Creation Packs in all new Linden Homes. It is accessible through your House Controller in front of your property. This new system will enable you to keep your property private while not infringing on navigation of the Bellisseria continent at large.

(Remainder or posting not quoted due to length)

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig positive step forward and greatly appreciated. As with anything new, there may be a need to fine tune it. The time parameter and altitude parameter come to mind as things that may need tweaking. But that’s normal when trying anything new.

In particular, the establishment of a minimum non-zero warning time and the elimination of teleport home seem like massive improvements. The ability to use any orb that conforms to those requirements seems like a nice bit of flexibility to what was originally announced. 

Now back to figuring out where to free up some tier for when the new house boat additions come out. Sigh. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

Ok, so maybe I am naive. But, what is that a person that hover far up in the air over your place able to do ..? Asking because I truly want to understand please 🙂

Edit: It's confirmed that you can't see players within the parcel until you're x meters away. I redact my original statement and confirm these actually are then pretty safe for privacy and a good way to go.

Edited by s2Pandora

16 minutes ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

Ok, so maybe I am naive. But, what is that a person that hover far up in the air over your place able to do ..? Asking because I truly want to understand please 🙂

They can cam down into your home, take pictures of you, alter them, post them where ever and generally harass you. This isn't the behavior of a traveler. It's the behavior of a stalker who uses alts to try and torment their victims. 

• Like 1

My only quibble with this newfangled security box is that the indicator seems counterintuitive: it has red for when it is off and green when it is turned on. Normally as with traffic and security, red means stop and green is all clear. At least that is how the security system in my RL house reports its status at a glance.

I have to agree with some previous posters that a lower LI version of the panel would have been nice to offer.

I really want to ask--what's the use of worrying about a perceived future stalker? That perceived future stalker will always be there, as long as you imagine them to be. Ban, block, and report any baka harassing you. I've had both of my residences open and I get amused anytime I have a visitor. When they get annoying, I ban and eject them. Never hear from them again.

• Like 4

Just now, Lukas Thetan said:

My only quibble with this newfangled security box is that the indicator seems counterintuitive: it has red for when it is off and green when it is turned on. Normally as with traffic and security, red means stop and green is all clear. At least that is how the security system in my RL house reports its status at a glance.

I have to agree with some previous posters that a lower LI version of the panel would have been nice to offer.

My nice little security box is 1 Li, has decorative buttons and blinking green and red light. But I click anywhere on it to turn it on and off. The box then whisper that it's on and the light change from green to red.

In one LI, as said.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

That sound really bad, I never had that happend to me since ever. And I truly hope I never will or anyone else. Be kind ♥

Mine has been around for 10 years. He shows up on his main from time to time just outside my parcel boundary just so I know he's there. I really don't care at this point other than keeping him from taking pics of me doing whatever and then PSing them into his imagined fantasy. I know he uses alts. He has an army of them. I have a pretty good list of them. But there is no way I can know them all nor do I really want to try and discover them. I just want to be able to stand around in my house and not have to constantly be on my guard that he might be out there taking pics. I don't think that's too much to ask and it really is annoying to have others come in here and tell me I should just act as though it doesn't exist. Not that you're doing that but I do get that from people in here from time to time.

• Like 4

Blush, I am truly sorry this have happend to you. And I see your point in have some kinda securety. I was just trying to understand. As I said, I may be naive or something. And well I still hope for all to not have that stress and to be able to just enjoy second life. I will kick your stalkers leg if I see him oki ? hihi 🧡

Edited by Quiet Mirabella
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shoot, I wanted to be able to say "in before the complaints!" but I am too late. ;)   Anyway, thanks for allowing people to use their own (properly set) orbs, since 5 LI is a bit high for a security orb. I don't plan on using one myself, but if I ever do, I don't want to give it that many of my precious LI allowance.

• Like 3

So for someone standing outside your parcel and you may not know what name they use til they show up, you do two things:

1. Whitelist your parcel via the security orb,

2. Then make sure your Land is set so that no one can see you when you're on your parcel and they are outside of it. That is a real setting that can solve your problem.

If you notice someone hovering for a long time over your parcel, ban them when you see them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

Just to clarify things a bit, once somebody is within your parcel boundaries, they can see all avatars  (provided their draw distance is set high enough).

At 400m high, they won't be able to hear anything spoken at ground level (unless they descend to withing 20m of you). But the ability to see you is not good for your privacy at all, as Blush has pointed out.

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Mine has been around for 10 years. He shows up on his main from time to time just outside my parcel boundary just so I know he's there. I really don't care at this point other than keeping him from taking pics of me doing whatever and then PSing them into his imagined fantasy. I know he uses alts. He has an army of them. I have a pretty good list of them. But there is no way I can know them all nor do I really want to try and discover them. I just want to be able to stand around in my house and not have to constantly be on my guard that he might be out there taking pics. I don't think that's too much to ask and it really is annoying to have others come in here and tell me I should just act as though it doesn't exist. Not that you're doing that but I do get that from people in here from time to time.

You and me both :( I just had one happen early this morning that was so close to how my ex would act when he found me that I would bet money it was him and he found me again. He wasn't your typical stalker. He was a RL ex that would use SL and other online platforms to stalk and harass me and if he had any proof I was online, that was when my phones would start chain ringing until I unplugged the landline and turn off my cell. Every. Single. Time. Ban & Block that one and he would create a new alt (anyone remember how friends lists USED to work back then) and have a different phone to call me from.  Every day. Every week. Until I deleted Zoya. She was dead in the void while I made a whole new me on a different character. With Linden help (and my husband's support) I brought Zoya back from the void a few years ago. Finally not afraid of him finding me.

Those that have never had a long term, army of alts, stalker will never understand and really come off condescending and rude sometimes. (not the person you quoted, the one above them)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

Then make sure your Land is set so that no one can see you when you're on your parcel and they are outside of it. That is a real setting that can solve your problem

I think the main bone of contention is that without a 0-second security orb setting, you can't completely keep anyone outside of your parcel.  For some, the 15 seconds might be considered to quick of a time, and for others, it is 15 seconds too long.   

• Like 1

Just now, moirakathleen said:

I think the main bone of contention is that without a 0-second security orb setting, you can't completely keep anyone outside of your parcel.  For some, the 15 seconds might be considered to quick of a time, and for others, it is 15 seconds too long.   

Ah, I see. Yeah, no pleasing everyone with that unfortunately.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.