⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To be clear: I have no issue with the LL security orb as it's implemented. I think it's a great compromise for all. And in my particular case, Abner Mole gave me an excellent suggestion on how to deal with my situation. 

I only responded about my issue with a stalker because someone asked what could a person hovering way up high over a parcel really do. So I explained what a person could do easily from that altitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rachel1206 said:

@Patch Linden

What is the rationale behind 400 meters height? I would have loved to see a maximum height of 100 meters allowing us to fly and enjoy the view of the landscape below and building structures etc.

You can't fly over a 1024 sqm parcel in under 15 seconds?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

It’s time to add a bit of Linden-approved security to your new homes!

If any unwanted guests are found, they will be provided with a warning to vacate the area, followed by an ejection if they do not leave within the specified amount of time (minimum of 15 seconds). ... We’ve chosen a minimum of 15 seconds ...  to allow for those just passing through ...  to not be immediately booted off-...

Patch, does this mean that anyone entering the monitored area gets a warning instantly and then gets ejected if they have not passed through within 15 seconds (or as set)?

That might mean that people see a lot of pop up messages as they fly through.. most nice trips are lower than 400m to see the view as you travel along or at sea level its easy to clip the outer edges of houseboat dock areas.

I hoped that the security system might have a delay before activating the warning... say a minimum of 10 seconds, then a short delay before the kick off... say a minimum 5 seconds... so same minimum limit of 15 seconds but avoiding lots of pop ups from anyone flying over in under 10 seconds.

Maybe in version 2 if that is not already the process? I will test with a second avatar to see how it currently works later today. Thanks.

Edited by Ai Austin
typos
  • Like 1

• Moles
55 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If only I knew how to script. :)

So if anyone who scripts out there would like to make a device like this and put it for sale ..... I'd certainly be in line to buy it as I'm sure others would find it valuable as well.

Dyna is pondering adding that functionality to the security system in an update. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• Moles
Just now, Ai Austin said:

Patch, does this mean that a anyone entering the monitored area gets a warning instantly and then gets ejected if they have not passed through within 15 seconds (or as set)?

That might mean that people see a lot of pop up messages as they fly through.. most nice trips are lower than 400m to see the view as you travel along nd at dea level its easy to clip the outer edges of houseboat dock areas.

I hoped that the security system might have a delay before activating the warning... say a minimum of 10 seconds, then a short delay before the kick off... say minimum 5 seconds... so same minimum limit of 15 seconds but avoiding lots of pop up from anyone flying over in under 10 seconds.

Maybe in version 2 if that is not already the process.  I will test with a second avatar to see how it currently works later today. Thanks.

Our system does not give popups. It warns you in a chat message.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

This new security orb seems to me to be a fair compromise for the new Linden home community.  It may not fully meet everyone's needs or situations fully, but I think that just comes with the territory - I don't think it would be possible for the new homes to fully and completely meet everyone's needs, as naturally there are members of the community with opposing wants and needs. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

No, Lindens don't ban you for getting intimate in your own house, that would be silly.

It does raise the question, for me, though, can you still set your parcel (for the new homes) so no one from the outside can see you? I always loved that feature. They can cam in, but not actually see the avi's inside.

Edited by kiramanell

Just now, kiramanell said:

It does raise the question, for me, though, can you still set your parcel (for the new homes) so no one from the outside can see you? I always loved that feature. Thet can cam in, but actually see the avi's inside.

Yes, we can still set parcel privacy in the land box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

To be clear: I have no issue with the LL security orb as it's implemented. I think it's a great compromise for all. And in my particular case, Abner Mole gave me an excellent suggestion on how to deal with my situation. 

I only responded about my issue with a stalker because someone asked what could a person hovering way up high over a parcel really do. So I explained what a person could do easily from that altitude.

Hi, I tested this just now with my own mainland parcel and Firestorm viewer.

My friends are at 110m altitude. I set my draw distance to 1024m and moved myself to 510m

No avatars visible.

410m

No avatars visible.

310m, 210m

No avatars visible.

I repeated this and did not get any visible avatars until I was within ~30m vertical distance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ai Austin said:

Patch, does this mean that anyone entering the monitored area gets a warning instantly and then gets ejected if they have not passed through within 15 seconds (or as set)?

That might mean that people see a lot of pop up messages as they fly through.. most nice trips are lower than 400m to see the view as you travel along or at sea level its easy to clip the outer edges of houseboat dock areas.

I hoped that the security system might have a delay before activating the warning... say a minimum of 10 seconds, then a short delay before the kick off... say a minimum 5 seconds... so same minimum limit of 15 seconds but avoiding lots of pop ups from anyone flying over in under 10 seconds.

Maybe in version 2 if that is not already the process? I will test with a second avatar to see how it currently works later today. Thanks.

I tested this and there does indeed appear to be a delay before the warning message is sent (in chat) to the intruder. Not sure exactly how long the delay is though.

Also - I tested it on land elsewhere and it works fine so this is not just restricted to being used in your Linden Home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
1 minute ago, animats said:

400m altitude? You can't even see the ground from there.

True, but even if everyone uses it at its maximum setting you get chat messages instead of pop ups. So if you keep moving and don't stop over someone's parcel who has it running you can generally ignore the warnings and go about your business.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

I tested this and there does indeed appear to be a delay before the warning message is sent (in chat) to the intruder. Not sure exactly how long the delay is though.

Also - I tested it on land elsewhere and it works fine so this is not just restricted to being used in your Linden Home.

The delay is probably the orb's sweep time, I assume they sweep at a fairly slow pace to minimize impact on the region processing.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Markarius Viper said:

I haven't used a security orb other than group aces to my family.  Just wondering if this is part of the change:  "Access settings on your parcel named 'Viper Manor' in 'Venber' have been forced to public by an Estate Manager"?

Right, we must have public access set in the land box. You can use an orb and the ban list for security. In your case, it looks like you had your land set to group access only, though the land box, and that is no longer allowed (it creates ban lines when you do it that way).

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

Hi, I tested this just now with my own mainland parcel and Firestorm viewer.

My friends are at 110m altitude. I set my draw distance to 1024m and moved myself to 510m

No avatars visible.

410m

No avatars visible.

310m, 210m

No avatars visible.

I repeated this and did not get any visible avatars until I was within ~30m vertical distance.

Oh my gosh! I just tested this. With Blush hovering in the air at 2k and Debi in the houseboat I cammed down to Debi and could see her if the box [avatars on other parcels can see and chat....] was ticked but as soon as I unticked the box she poofed. This is great news!!!! 

Thanks for the info! Seriously made me happy!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Oh my gosh! I just tested this. With Blush hovering in the air at 2k and Debi in the houseboat I cammed down to Debi and could see her if the box [avatars on other parcels can see and chat....] was ticked but as soon as I unticked the box she poofed. This is great news!!!! 

Thanks for the info! Seriously made me happy!!!

Oh, i'll have to try this when my boyfriend gets home. If this is the case then hey, I redact my remark on privacy not being 100% with these orbs.

Edit: Confirmed!

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 2

Is this why all of a sudden the people on my house access list can no longer open doors or access the house menu? I have NOT set up the new security system. My friend who is on my house access list and helped decorate my houseboat in Hibiki was offline for a couple of hours, has just returned to find herself locked out of the house. Doors won't open and menu won't respong. I repeat, I've not set up the new security system and haven't touched anything. She's relogged. I've taken her name off the list and put it back on. Nothing, locked out. Tried Live Chat and they sent me the post Constantine Linden put up telling us ban lines were being banned.

• Moles
4 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

Is this why all of a sudden the people on my house access list can no longer open doors or access the house menu? I have NOT set up the new security system. My friend who is on my house access list and helped decorate my houseboat in Hibiki was offline for a couple of hours, has just returned to find herself locked out of the house. Doors won't open and menu won't respong. I repeat, I've not set up the new security system and haven't touched anything. She's relogged. I've taken her name off the list and put it back on. Nothing, locked out. Tried Live Chat and they sent me the post Constantine Linden put up telling us ban lines were being banned.

That isn't part of the security system. We recently updated the houses to resolve an issue with avatars with the last name ".resident" not being recognized by the system. You may just need to add them again to the list. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BobbieEarhart said:

I can confirm this happened with my house too, but it was easy to set it back up the same way I did initially and all is working well.

• Like 1

If I had to guess, it's likely nothing to do with the security system, which seems to be a standalone system.  It's more likely something to do with the update that Patch announced in the Update thread a while ago: "We’ve fixed the issue of Residents with the surname “.resident” not being able to be added to the whitelist and controls, as well as the control panel’s difficulties in retaining the owner whitelist settings when changing homes. This will improve your ease of management for who can access your property."  It might mean that they had to reboot your control panel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.