Jump to content
Patch Linden

⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Recommended Posts

I should leave well enough alone, but: If I were @Dyna Mole I think I'd want to add two things, only one of which is possible:

  1. (possible) The ability to conditionalize the security settings depending on whether the owner is present on the parcel (and/or other listed residents, I suppose). So, I could tell the script to just leave intruders alone when I'm not around and only message them when I'm on the parcel.
  2. (impossible) The ability to toggle the parcel-visibility setting by script, as part of the security response. Let everybody see everything except when I'm actually present with the security system turned on. (Of course I can turn it on manually and that's not so difficult, but turning it off -- who remembers to do that scampering off to RL?)

Of course #2 is a jira feature request waiting to happen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sylvia Tamalyn I'm not really sure how my problem was sorted to be honest. It might have been something done by one of the Lindens on site (I had 3 Lindens at one point helping sort this problem, including Patch) or it might have been that I had to add a Linden to the houseboat access list (not the Security System list) and doing that reset things. The problem started with my friend logging in to find she couldn't open my houseboat doors and no longer had access to my houseboat controls, something she'd had 2 hours earlier before logging out. I took her name off my houseboat access list, added it back again, no change. I set my houseboat to allow anyone to access it, no change. So, maybe all of this activity finally reset things, I just don't know. I know the Lindens on site were poking at things and then suddenly my friend found she could again open doors. Changes so often have unintended consequences.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobbieEarhart said:

@Sylvia Tamalyn I'm not really sure how my problem was sorted to be honest. It might have been something done by one of the Lindens on site (I had 3 Lindens at one point helping sort this problem, including Patch) or it might have been that I had to add a Linden to the houseboat access list (not the Security System list) and doing that reset things. The problem started with my friend logging in to find she couldn't open my houseboat doors and no longer had access to my houseboat controls, something she'd had 2 hours earlier before logging out. I took her name off my houseboat access list, added it back again, no change. I set my houseboat to allow anyone to access it, no change. So, maybe all of this activity finally reset things, I just don't know. I know the Lindens on site were poking at things and then suddenly my friend found she could again open doors. Changes so often have unintended consequences.

Oddly, that exact thing happened to me last night (right after LL closed for the weekend, of course). I was on my own to try to sort it out, so my alt and I just kept resetting and clicking, re-rezzed houseboat, reset and clicked some more, and suddenly BAM! All started working again. Very odd! lol

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

although  im glad with the new security system provided by Linden  ,sadly lots of resident set it up at zero seconds  ,so i have been teleporting home several times with no warning at all   ,no fun when your exploring your neightbourhood

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Atina0 said:

although  im glad with the new security system provided by Linden  ,sadly lots of resident set it up at zero seconds  ,so i have been teleporting home several times with no warning at all   ,no fun when your exploring your neightbourhood

They must still be using their own system, set contrary to the new rules. The Linden-supplied system will not set to less than 15 seconds warning, and will not teleport home.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

then how will these new rules be followed if people still use there own orbs i wonder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Atina0 said:

then how will these new rules be followed if people still use there own orbs i wonder

I guess that a little tolerance will needed until the new rules sink into people's heads, but if their system continues to be a nuisance just raise an Abuse Report.

(They are allowed to use their own system, but it must conform to the new rules).

Edited by Odaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are ejected by a security orb that gives less than a 15 second warning, submit an Abuse Report that says where the orb is.  Or, more politely, send the owner a reminder that she should be using the Linden Lab orb.  The rule is new enough that she may not be aware of it yet.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To  be fair, there is probably should to be a short grace period so people can get used to the new rules and try out the new orb. 

If you find someone with an improperly set security orb the first thing you should probably do is kindly send them a link to this forum thread. They may just not know and don't realize what they are doing isn't going to be allowed anymore. If enough of their nice friendly neighbors nudge them in that direction they might even say thank you. ;)

If they just seem to ignore everyone, then yes... send an abuse report and their improperly set orb will be returned to them (which should get their attention). 

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Never assume stupidity when ignorance will suffice.
Never assume ignorance when forgivable error will suffice.
Never assume error when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.
Therefore, never assume malice when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.

Edited by Abnor Mole
applied a little Hanlon's Razor
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Although, I guess, having it part of the control panel would suggest to folks that it's an option they should try, more than rezzing a 5 LI thing, so maybe better to wait for habits to form before making it too attractively LI-efficient.

This is a good point.  I started to get carried away yesterday morning, getting the new content pack, unboxing and rezzing the security orb to see what it looked like and to read the NC that came with it.  I almost put it on the wall to get it set up, and then I came to my senses - I haven't had any situations yet in my almost 5 years where I've needed to have a security orb. For me, putting up a security orb doesn't feel necessary to do, even as a pro-active measure.  If that situation should change, at least I know that I have one that I can quickly set up and use.  

At one level, a continent full of security orbs and parcel privacy turned on, where you can't see your neighbor walking down the street, doesn't really feel like a community, neighborly oriented place, but that's also OK, because not everyone who opts for a Linden home is doing so because of the community aspect. 

I do think that both the ban lines not allowed and the functionality of the new orbs are definitely good improvements for the Linden homes area.  (And these policies should just be applicable to areas such as the Linden homes, and not to mainland parcels in general.) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't plan on even rezzing the orb at Debi's home. That will be an open home all the time. Blush's on the other hand I will use the orb when I need it, but would like to turn it off most of the time. The problem is that only Blush can operate it so if I log off with it either on or off with Blush and then log in with Debi I can't access the panel even though Debi is listed for the house's main control panel. It would be good if there was a way to have anyone who is listed in the home's main panel would also have access to the security orb. Baring that then at least the option to add a person to the orb's admin would be helpful.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

the option to add a person to the orb's admin would be helpful.

Or even "persons"? An additional controller(s) is more towards essential than merely helpful, in my view, for exactly the sort of reasons Blush stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

Am I the only one unable to CTRL+drag the notecard into the object?

I just had this problem, tried 30 minutes. You have to drag it into the alarm itself. I asume you tried to drag it into content? Or was that only me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iBrat said:

I just had this problem, tried 30 minutes. You have to drag it into the alarm itself. I asume you tried to drag it into content? Or was that only me?

No, I dragged into the object with the building window closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

Am I the only one unable to CTRL+drag the notecard into the object?

There are four points in the instructions:

6. Drop the notecard into the Security System by:

        a. Clicking anywhere except one of the control buttons or bars,  You will see a message that says "You may now Drag and Drop a new configuration card into the security system if you wish."
        b. Selecting the notecard in your own inventory.
        c. Holding down the CTRL key on your computer's keyboard.
        d. Using your mouse to drag and then drop the notecard onto the Security System.  IMPORTANT: Do not release the CTRL key until after you have dropped the notecard.

That process is necessary because we had to distribute the system no mod but still let you change the notecard. The very first step is the one that people may ignore, because it's unusual.  Clicking anywhere on the object (except one of its buttons) activates a temporary switch that allows you to do the other three steps.

So, why didn't we just leave that switch active all the time? Because once it's activated, anyone might come along and drop a new card into your system.This way, we can be sure that you activated it and that the card is being changed while you are standing right there. We didn't want anyone else messing with your Security System. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

There are four points in the instructions:

6. Drop the notecard into the Security System by:

        a. Clicking anywhere except one of the control buttons or bars,  You will see a message that says "You may now Drag and Drop a new configuration card into the security system if you wish."
        b. Selecting the notecard in your own inventory.
        c. Holding down the CTRL key on your computer's keyboard.
        d. Using your mouse to drag and then drop the notecard onto the Security System.  IMPORTANT: Do not release the CTRL key until after you have dropped the notecard.

That process is necessary because we had to distribute the system no mod but still let you change the notecard. The very first step is the one that people may ignore, because it's unusual.  Clicking anywhere on the object (except one of its buttons) activates a temporary switch that allows you to do the other three steps.

So, why didn't we just leave that switch active all the time? Because once it's activated, anyone might come along and drop a new card into your system.This way, we can be sure that you activated it and that the card is being changed while you are standing right there. We didn't want anyone else messing with your Security System. 

May I ask why the orb isn't giving menu which would allow the owner to manage whitelist?

It would be much user friendly - esp towards Slers who do not talk english well and can have hard times to understnad the instructions.

And much more comfortable for everyone, because there would be no manipulation with the notecard and the orb itselfs in edit mode.

orb1.png.d5edb755c93b3586131a6ce19fd882ab.png

orb2.png.502de87c3d152f2abdae595c7094fa28.png

Im not creator, so maybe Im missing something, but if everything would be via menu, the orb could be  simplier object too (1LI), with no need to make with more clickable zones and more LI

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, loverdag said:

May I ask why the orb isn't giving menu which would allow the owner to manage whitelist?

It would be much user friendly - esp towards Slers who do not talk english well and can have hard times to understnad the instructions.

And much more comfortable for everyone, because there would be no manipulation with the notecard and the orb itselfs in edit mode.

orb1.png.d5edb755c93b3586131a6ce19fd882ab.png

orb2.png.502de87c3d152f2abdae595c7094fa28.png

Im not creator, so maybe Im missing something, but if everything would be via menu, the orb could be  simplier object too (1LI), with no need to make with more clickable zones and more LI

One possible reason is that you can have many more names on a notecard than you can hold in the memory of a script.  The script can check access using the notecard line by line if necessary without loading all those names into memory at once and so you are only limited by whatever the notecard can hold and not by script memory.  Of course why anyone would want that many names is another story but maybe they are catering to the extremes people sometimes go.

Another more likely possible reason is that when the script is reset, the names will not be lost if the names are on a notecard, otherwise you would have to re-enter them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

One possible reason is that you can have many more names on a notecard than you can hold in the memory of a script.  The script can check access using the notecard line by line if necessary without loading all those names into memory at once and so you are only limited by whatever the notecard can hold and not by script memory.  Of course why anyone would want that many names is another story but maybe they are catering to the extremes people sometimes go.

Another more likely possible reason is that when the script is reset, the names will not be lost if the names are on a notecard, otherwise you would have to re-enter them.

Yes , thats why I mentioned I'm not creator, because there can be technical reasons I didn't know and didn't take into account.

But still - about the other reason - I would prefer 1LI orb with scripted option to give permition to others to be "managers" and has rights to add names on white list, even if it would mean I would have to create the whitelist again if somehting would go wrong and reset would be needed. A lot of people uses alts for Premiums, if the alt could add main avatar as manager, everything wuld be much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't plan on even rezzing the orb at Debi's home. That will be an open home all the time. Blush's on the other hand I will use the orb when I need it, but would like to turn it off most of the time. The problem is that only Blush can operate it so if I log off with it either on or off with Blush and then log in with Debi I can't access the panel even though Debi is listed for the house's main control panel. It would be good if there was a way to have anyone who is listed in the home's main panel would also have access to the security orb. Baring that then at least the option to add a person to the orb's admin would be helpful.

yes, Blush, an admin role for the orb would be awesome! I plan to get a houseboat on an alt .. and use both homes with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mollymews said:

not sure when this got changed by LL but it is something that @Patch Linden should maybe make a post about. Will save a lot of people a lot of angst about all this

when an avatar is inside the banline box area, and avatar parcel visibility is unchecked, and the parcel access is set to allow Anyone, then a avatar hovering on the roof of  the banline box cannot see an avatar inside the box, even when the avatar is 1 meter below them. Vice versa, the avatar inside the box cannot see the avatar on top

I haven't tested what you did at every height, but it seems that when both avatars are outside the box over a parcel with these settings then the physical distance between the avatars is up to 42 meters for them to see each other

When my avatar is on the ground and the visibility box is checked, my alt cannot see me when my alt is around 450 m high -- the orbs will only protect to 400 m above its location.  

When my avatar is on a sky platform at 2000 m, with the visibility box still checked, my alt can cam in and see me when the alt is at 1500 m or 2500 m.  So, yeah, it does seem that the parcel visibility part is only working for avatars within that banline area.

 

So if anyone truly does not want others being able to see them if those others are within the parcel but outside that 400 m orb scanning distance, then they should keep themselves on the ground and use the visibility check box.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that the unit will operate under 100m from ground level, or over 2000m, and has a detect range of up to 400m it sounds like the clear flight corridor is above 500m and below 1600m.

Is that correct? 500m is quite high which could detract from the enjoyment of Belliseria from the air.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, livb89 said:

Given that the unit will operate under 100m from ground level, or over 2000m, and has a detect range of up to 400m it sounds like the clear flight corridor is above 500m and below 1600m.

Is that correct? 500m is quite high which could detract from the enjoyment of Belliseria from the air.

Even if you put it 100m in the air with a range of 400m, it still only works to 400m above sea level. The warnings are in a chat message and not a popup. As long as you don't stop over a parcel for more than a few seconds, you shouldn't notice anything but the occasional chat message warning (which can be easily ignored).

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Abnor Mole said:

Even if you put it 100m in the air with a range of 400m, it still only works to 400m above sea level. The warnings are in a chat message and not a popup. As long as you don't stop over a parcel for more than a few seconds, you shouldn't notice anything but the occasional chat message warning (which can be easily ignored).

Oh that sounds fine then. Hopefully LL won’t allow pop ups from third party orbs either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...