⚡ Linden Homes Security System ⚡

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles

I encourage everyone to read and understand the rules on Adult Content before they file an Abuse Report. One of the most misinterpreted tenets is the assumption that nudity is always sexual and therefor adult content. While this may be true culturally in some parts of the world, in this virtual world that is not necessarily true. If something is questionable by all means file an abuse report. Temper that with the understanding that if the system is flooded with reports for things that are in fact not violations of the TOS or maturity ratings, the reports that actually are violations will take longer to be addressed by the Lindens. Knowing and understanding what Linden Lab does or does not consider an actionable offense before filing a report will make the process more efficient for them and insure a faster response.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ

• Like 7
  • Thanks 11

55 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

I encourage everyone to read and understand the rules on Adult Content before they file an Abuse Report. One of the most misinterpreted tenets is the assumption that nudity is always sexual and therefor adult content. While this may be true culturally in some parts of the world, in this virtual world that is not necessarily true. If something is questionable by all means file an abuse report. Temper that with the understanding that if the system is flooded with reports for things that are in fact not violations of the TOS or maturity ratings, the reports that actually are violations will take longer to be addressed by the Lindens. Knowing and understanding what Linden Lab does or does not consider an actionable offense before filing a report will make the process more efficient for them and insure a faster response.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ

It's a bit difficult, though, to imagine a context in which a naked pony-girl, even without sex attachments, pulling her master in a pony-cart wouldn't be considered sexual anywhere in the world (other, as I understand it, than in some branches of Walmart, where it's probably an everyday occurance).

Having said that, I'm not sure how much use it is to AR the people involved, unless they make a habit of it.    It's annoying and thoughtless of the people concerned, but LL really do have more important things to worry about. 

• Like 6

Excellent decision and implementation.  Now please take it global with a stepped minimum time for parcel size.   Like full region 30 seconds etc.   Looking forward to an end to what has become a terrible problem for flyers and is even worse now with the GTFO added weight to the roles.   Thank you for working to keep Sl fun for everyone.   You're the best!

Edited by Tealcie
  • Like 2

• Moles
5 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It's a bit difficult, though, to imagine a context in which a naked pony-girl, even without sex attachments, pulling her master in a pony-cart wouldn't be considered sexual anywhere in the world (other, as I understand it, than in some branches of Walmart, where it's probably an everyday occurance).

Having said that, I'm not sure how much use it is to AR the people involved, unless they make a habit of it.    It's annoying and thoughtless of the people concerned, but LL really do have more important things to worry about. 

That's just the thing. We don't know the context. We weren't there. We are hearing someone's description and interpretation of what they saw. I didn't suggest it wasn't, but I'm not assuming it was either. I'm merely suggesting everyone review what the Lab considers adult content or behavior before filing a report based on what they assume is adult content or behavior. Include screenshots, be clear and succinct, stick the the facts and what the lab can prove and verify. That's simply good practice for any abuse report no matter what the subject. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 14

6 hours ago, Tealcie said:

Now please take it global with a stepped minimum time for parcel size.

If what you mean by "global" is mainland, just because a policy is good for the linden home continent doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision for mainland in general. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Ladies and Gentlemen!

This thread should be used to discuss the Linden Homes Security System only.

If you wish to discuss anything else, please do it elsewhere in one of the other appropriate forum sections that are made available to you for those discussions. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10

I set up the security system in my houseboat, got it all set and the notecard added and it's working.

i also have a skybox but it won't let me rez another security panel up above 2000m. I honestly would like security up there as well. Is it not possible to have 2 on the same parcel, one at ground height and one over 2000meters? I would like security in both places.

UPDATE; it let me rez another one up above 2000m. not sure why it wouldn't before. so it's all good. ty 

i also would like it to be less LI....5 prims is rather high and now it's 10 prims because i have two out :(

Edited by Krystal333
added info
  • Like 1

• Moles

Even if it could be, having it as a separate item rather than incorporating it into every single house is a savings in script resources. Based on what I've seen so far only a handful of residents in most regions are actually feeling the need to use any sort of security system at present.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Even if it could be, having it as a separate item rather than incorporating it into every single house is a savings in script resources. Based on what I've seen so far only a handful of residents in most regions are actually feeling the need to use any sort of security system at present.

I suspected as much (often the minority wheel has the loudest squeak) LOL In that same subject line, thank you for creating a reasonable set of abilities; enough to keep the paranoid happy and yet not insult passers-by. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I suspected as much (often the minority wheel has the loudest squeak) LOL 

And the other vocal group just sits back and makes condescending judgmental remarks from their perceived position of superiority while the majority sit in the middle, ignoring the whole mess.

9 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

This comes as no surprise to me, as after the first few days it started to be more common to be the only one in the region at any given time and a large number of homes are essentially empty, maybe a pose stand and a bed being the only decor.

Edited by Gryphon Ronas

On 4/27/2019 at 11:23 AM, Qie Niangao said:

It could also be incorporated into a reworked control panel, for 0 LI. Doesn't mean everybody activates it. Although, I guess, having it part of the control panel would suggest to folks that it's an option they should try, more than rezzing a 5 LI thing, so maybe better to wait for habits to form before making it too attractively LI-efficient.

I don't think that would work. Assuming the (root of the) control panel doesn't actually reside on your parcel, an integrated orb controller wouldn't wind up guarding your parcel, but the Linden 'Protected Land' (or whatever they call it over there) it is on.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Assuming the (root of the) control panel doesn't actually reside on your parcel

I think you're correct.

EDIT to add:

They could however use one of the Mole's magical mandatory grid-scope Experiences to llTeleportAgent anywhere they want, from anywhere in the region.

And it could be a net savings in script use because the per-user UI could talk to a single avatar-tracking and intrusion detection script for the whole region. I'm thinking the fewer scripts calling llGetAgentList, the better.

On the other hand, the current approach makes it very intuitive to simply rez a separate control for each vertical level to be secured on a parcel. So yeah, at least the UIs probably should be user-owned, and if there really are only a handful of them per region, the overhead of per-parcel llGetAgentList processing may be cheaper than communicating with a region-wide avatar-tracker.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

And the other vocal group just sits back and makes condescending judgmental remarks from their perceived position of superiority while the majority sit in the middle, ignoring the whole mess.

A general reply toward the above *subject* and not to the specific comment above, but quoted for context:

The first mistake many people here (and all over the Internet, really) make is to take things personally that shouldn't be taken personally, especially when it is neither directed at them or any of insult in any meaningful way. I am always laughing and happy and though once in a while a comment may sting, I never take anything personally. I sincerely believe my health is amazingly well, in part, due to that. When an ambiguous comment directed in a general arc and not to anyone specific or particular (i.e. a group, not person) and someone takes personal offense at it, then not only does that person identify with that group, but there may be a self-esteem question.

To these people I recommend: take it easy, it's the Internet, never take anything personally, even if directed specifically at you because you don't know those people and neither do they know you. It's 0s and 1s in the MATRIX, which you are simply part of. SO, be an EverReady and not a CopperTop. (Battery brands for those who don't know) LOL

Now my direct reply to the above-quoted comment: Not a condescending judgmental statement; it is fact: The squeakiest wheel (loudest) is more often than not only one of four; it is the minority. Anyone pushing a shopping cart more than once in any grocery store or other shopping venues already knows this clearly. And though the other "vocal group" (that would be "vocal majority") a.k.a. "wheels of the cart" may be vocal (making noise), that one wheel is still the loudest and most shrill. is it not?

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

To these people I recommend: take it easy, it's the Internet, never take anything personally, even if directed specifically at you because you don't know those people and neither do they know you.

To quote the wise words of the eminent scholar, @Abnor Mole, earlier in this thread:

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Never assume stupidity when ignorance will suffice.
Never assume ignorance when forgivable error will suffice.
Never assume error when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.
Therefore, never assume malice when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

To quote to wise words of the eminent scholar, Abnor Mole, earlier in this thread:

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Never assume stupidity when ignorance will suffice.
Never assume ignorance when forgivable error will suffice.
Never assume error when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.
Therefore, never assume malice when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.

I totally missed that. It is Shaman words. We must erect a golden statue of Abnor Mole at the center of every public park on the entirety of Bellisseria. Because, because. :D

• Like 2

• Moles
11 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

But maaa, now who do I get upset at because my SL is under-performing? 

*muttering .. bet it was that abnor all along .. this is all just some ploy to misdirect everyone ..  insidious evil little ..razumfrazum ..  *

now I almost wish I'd picked the name Razumfrazum Mole

• Haha 7

On 5/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, CoffeeDujour said:

It should be 0.5 Li MAX

They're Lindens, they're gods (in their own universe, and some of them possibly outside of it too *g*). Point is, they can give it any LI they want, like they did for some of the old Linden trees I still have in inventory, that were no-mesh (long before mesh existed even), and were all still only 1 LI.

Not upset about 5 LI, really; just sayin' they can set its LI to anythig they want, as they're not bound by the same rules we are.

Edited by kiramanell

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

They're Lindens, they're gods (in their own universe, and some of them possibly outside of it too *g*). Point is, they can give it any LI they want, like they did for some of the old Linden trees I still have in inventory, that were no-mesh (long before mesh existed even), and were all still only 1 LI.

Not upset about 5 LI, really; just sayin' they can set its LI to anythig they want, as they're not bound by the same rules we are.

As far as I know, most moles are not Lindens (but instead work as contractors), and from my experience talking with one in the past, I believe they do operate under the same building rules as everyone else when it comes to things like mesh, LI, etc. Sure, they can rez stuff where we can't, and edit things we cannot, but that's just a matter of land perms they are given.

My assumption is that the box is 5 LI simply because of the various buttons attached to it. I would think that if the moles did have magical powers that allowed them to set any LI they wanted to anything they wanted, surely they would not have left the security panel at 5 LI.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 153 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.