What else would you guys like to see added to the new Linden Home Continent?

Gingir Ghoststar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

Better road layouts.

The way it is in many places it feels like you are in a maze.  You have to turn way too often to get from point A to point B, and all the dead ends being unmarked makes that frustrating at times. The layout also probably causes more server load than it needs to... You are heading North, so you are downloading the data for what is in your path, then you have to turn East, now all that Northbound data is not needed any more and you start loading the Eastbound data, but about 4 houses later, you turn again.  It is probably pretty tough on someone with a slower connection.

Twisty-turny subdivisions are cool, but there should also be a more direct route, especially as this continent grows and the distance people want to travel get longer.

The road layouts are what, in part, give each region it's own look, and contribute to the small neighborhood ambiance.   While all the roads are great, and it's nice to be able to drive or walk/skate/etc to visit others or to attend a gathering at a park or beach, in my opinion, that is not the main point of the continent being built.  I like it that I can't look at the map of Bellisseria regions and see repeating block / roadway patterns, like you can with Bay City, Nova Albion, Horizons or Shermerville.

Right now, everyone is exploring, because everything is new.  I wonder if people will continue to drive across 5 regions to visit a friend six months from now, or whether they'll just be TP'ing instead.  I lived in Bay City for a good amount of time, and on roadside parcels on other continents most of the other time, and even in Bay City, seeing cars driving around was not a common, all the time, experience.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

But for rendering, it would be better to repeat the wood and roof texture, instead of picking something else. I used both a slate texture for one ground terrace, and an "almost the same as the veranda wood deck" for the other.

I agree! I made textures to match the roof texture but I feel guilty using it since it adds to texture cache. It would be so much better if I could use the same texture the moles have already used. I will update my roof textures in my add-ons once those textures are made available.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

The way it is in many places it feels like you are in a maze.  You have to turn way too often to get from point A to point B, and all the dead ends being unmarked makes that frustrating at times. The layout also probably causes more server load than it needs to... You are heading North, so you are downloading the data for what is in your path, then you have to turn East, now all that Northbound data is not needed any more and you start loading the Eastbound data, but about 4 houses later, you turn again.  It is probably pretty tough on someone with a slower connection.

I like the road layout but you are right it does make traveling difficult at times. I'd like to see some "dead end" signs placed so we know it's not a thoroughfare. I know that will mean extra prims but I think they would be worth it.

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Right now, everyone is exploring, because everything is new.  I wonder if people will continue to drive across 5 regions to visit a friend six months from now, or whether they'll just be TP'ing instead.  I lived in Bay City for a good amount of time, and on roadside parcels on other continents most of the other time, and even in Bay City, seeing cars driving around was not a common, all the time, experience.

I so hope people are still traveling the roads. I dearly love playing with all my new bikes, scooters, helicopter, horses, skates, and skateboards. For me it's not just about exploring, though that is fun, it's also about having good roads and scenery to enjoy while using all my new nifty transportation devices. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I like the road layout but you are right it does make traveling difficult at times. I'd like to see some "dead end" signs placed so we know it's not a thoroughfare. I know that will means extra prims but I think they would be worth it.

I so hope people are still traveling the roads. I dearly love playing with all my new bikes, scooters, helicopter, horses, skates, and skateboards. For me it's not just about exploring, though that is fun, it's also about having good roads and scenery to enjoy while using all my new nifty transportation devices. 

They could even do it by making 1 texture and using that, maybe two because 'dead end' and 'no outlet' are not the same thing, but they both have the same effect if you are actually trying to get somewhere.  Just 'paint' a marking on the road where it splits off a thoroughfare.  The explorers will still use those roads to see what's there, the travelers will have less frustration and less unnecessary data download.

People are used to teleporting, right now there's something new, so they are using conventional transportation.  But they will tire of that soon, because who will want to continue to navigate a maze with frequent stops to consult the map, and spend an hour or more traveling a couple km when they can simply teleport there in under a second? As the continent grows we will see the roads being used for transportation less and less, starting with the people who already struggle to load data. They're simply not going to be able to do it.

The roads are pretty, but the only way to actually get somewhere is by flying or teleporting, and as the area grows in size, this will become more and more true. The roads will be for meandering exploring only.

20 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

But they will tire of that soon, because who will want to continue to navigate a maze with frequent stops to consult the map, and spend an hour or more traveling a couple km when they can simply teleport there in under a second?

Because it's the experience of driving the vehicle? Why else would anyone buy a car, truck, plane, train, or boat is SL? :D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, lu Rae said:

A train that crosses all around with some stations  that will be awesome... maybe beach with a  amusement park..a huge coffee shop with some umbrellas

104752684-Ray_Edit_Waterslide.jpg

If they build that it would need to be in a region with no houses at all due to lag.  And preferably far from my home parcel so that it isn't in my draw distance without requiring me to reduce it a lot or derender the whole thing.

I do thing sometimes the road system seems counter-intuitive, but I feel like things will be more connected and it will be easier to get from A to B. One thing has kind of bothered me lately though. As far as I know, if I want to go north (and remain on the road) I would have to completely go the entire other way around the continent. I have to go off-road with the orange bit. I'm not sure if a road was meant to be added or what, but it seems like the rest off the continent you can get from A to B  semi-easily once you figure out the layout. 

roads.png

Edited by stlshayne

2 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

I do thing sometimes the road system seems counter-intuitive, but I feel like things will be more connected and it will be easier to get from A to B. One thing has kind of bothered me lately though. As far as I know, if I want to go north right and (and remain on the road) I would have to completely go the entire other way around the continent. I'm not sure if a road was meat to be added or what, but it seems like the rest off the continent you can get from A to B  semi-easily once you figure out the layout. 

roads.png

I think that some road issues will become less of an issue once the interior of the continent is finished.  I don't expect that the SSPExxx regions will be remaining empty forever.

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

I think that some road issues will become less of an issue once the interior of the continent is finished.  I don't expect that the SSPExxx regions will be remaining empty forever.

Oh, I get that. This is just the only place I've seen on the continent as I've explored that you cannot get from A to B because things are not finished yet. Felt it might have been overlooked. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stlshayne said:

I do thing sometimes the road system seems counter-intuitive, but I feel like things will be more connected and it will be easier to get from A to B. One thing has kind of bothered me lately though. As far as I know, if I want to go north (and remain on the road) I would have to completely go the entire other way around the continent. I have to go off-road with the orange bit. I'm not sure if a road was meant to be added or what, but it seems like the rest off the continent you can get from A to B  semi-easily once you figure out the layout. 

roads.png

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, stlshayne said:

On the map you posted,  you can drive south through the Corinth region into Bellfry. The road twists and turns right where the (2) is next to the word Corinth. It's hard to see sometimes due to the way mesh trees appear on the map.

22 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

On the map you posted,  you can drive south through the Corinth region into Bellfry. The road twists and turns right where the (2) is next to the word Corinth. It's hard to see sometimes due to the way mesh trees appear on the map.

I'll be damned. Indeed you can. Maybe we need some road maps. 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cahtias said:

A houseboat of my very own would be a perfect start. 

Huh. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but since you must have a Premium account to have a Linden Home, that same Premium account also allows you to have "tax-free" 1024 m2 anywhere on the Mainland also, where there are lots and lots and lots of water and you can rez anything there, including your own houseboat. Just thinking aloud, here, don't mind me.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Huh. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but since you must have a Premium account to have a Linden Home, that same Premium account also allows you to have "tax-free" 1024 m2 anywhere on the Mainland also, where there are lots and lots and lots of water and you can rez anything there, including your own houseboat. Just thinking aloud, here, don't mind me.

Yeah, but you'll have to put out a hefty buying price to get water land that is accessible to true open water.  I think that right there is one of the biggest reasons so many swarmed to the Houseboats.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stlshayne said:

I'll be damned. Indeed you can. Maybe we need some road maps. 😂

It is like real life - move around (bicycle, bike/car) and you get to know the roads around.

Getting lost? See it as a great way to see homes and points of interest around.

1 hour ago, Rachel1206 said:

It is like real life - move around (bicycle, bike/car) and you get to know the roads around.

Getting lost? See it as a great way to see homes and points of interest around.

Once, trying to get out of a huge real world development with lots of dead end streets, I pulled up to a group of teenagers and asked "How do I get to the real world?". They understood immediately and gave me directions to the freeway.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, but you'll have to put out a hefty buying price to get water land that is accessible to true open water.  I think that right there is one of the biggest reasons so many swarmed to the Houseboats.

Yes, but only if you;re thinking of Blake Sea. I have a 2048 parcel in Sansara that cost only L$10k - and Sansara has a *lot* of open water. And the hopes are that Lindens will do something to oppen the interior of that to the south, then one could sail from the center of Heterocera alllll the way south past bellisseria :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.