What else would you guys like to see added to the new Linden Home Continent?

Gingir Ghoststar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, binder59 said:

basements in the new homes

I foresee a market for pseudo-basement skyboxes.  Open the basement door and get teleported to a basement in the sky.  I did one of those for an exhibit once a few years ago.  It was pretty convincing.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I foresee a market for pseudo-basement skyboxes.  Open the basement door and get teleported to a basement in the sky.  I did one of those for an exhibit once a few years ago.  It was pretty convincing.

That's a neat idea!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bryce Sun said:

Street signs and road names, more common areas like a market or movie theater or cafe

Maybe the ability for town squares with rental shops and social areas within the sim theme

I like the idea of street names and house numbers so you can have an actual address like 123 xxx street sim name.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dragon692014 said:

I like the idea of street names and house numbers so you can have an actual address like 123 xxx street sim name.

You could always create a sign with the name of the region along with the map co-ordinates of your house and place this somewhere on your land.

For example: 1412 Phinney Street would be location 14, 12 in the Phinney region and I added Street but you could add Road, Close, etc.  If enough people adopted it you could try to get everyone to agree on whether your place is a Street/Road/Close etc.

• Like 5

Ok, I’m not a resident of Bellisseria … yet!! One day I hope to be. But I do love to explore the new Continent to see all the great builds. And as of recently I love to explore it on the weekends via a Hot Air Balloon. It is so easy going and relaxing and to be a good SL resident I set my altitude to 200 meters so it doesn’t interfere with any one’s privacy or security orbs. But this weekend I have noticed quite a few ppl have their land orbs to either boot you after 13 secs (or less) or for a height limit of over 200 meters. Question …  What are these folks hiding? 

It would be nice if Linden Labs would set a limit on these orbs for a more friendly setting. I would suggest as for the height maybe 150 meters and as for the time limit, I would say a minimum no less then 30 secs.

** climbs off his soapbox**

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Spad said:

Ok, I’m not a resident of Bellisseria … yet!! One day I hope to be. But I do love to explore the new Continent to see all the great builds. And as of recently I love to explore it on the weekends via a Hot Air Balloon. It is so easy going and relaxing and to be a good SL resident I set my altitude to 200 meters so it doesn’t interfere with any one’s privacy or security orbs. But this weekend I have noticed quite a few ppl have their land orbs to either boot you after 13 secs (or less) or for a height limit of over 200 meters. Question …  What are these folks hiding? 

It would be nice if Linden Labs would set a limit on these orbs for a more friendly setting. I would suggest as for the height maybe 150 meters and as for the time limit, I would say a minimum no less then 30 secs.

There are limits for both set by Linden Labs the height limit is 400 meters and the eject time is 15 seconds again these limits are set by Linden labs and is in the covenant and must be conformed to by all residents they even give you an orb pre configured to these settings however they allow you to use your own orb as long as you configure it to match the same settings.

43 minutes ago, Dick Spad said:

35 minutes ago, Dragon692014 said:

There are limits for both set by Linden Labs the height limit is 400 meters and the eject time is 15 seconds again these limits are set by Linden labs and is in the covenant and must be conformed to by all residents they even give you an orb pre configured to these settings however they allow you to use your own orb as long as you configure it to match the same settings.

LL has established orb rules and they even supply an orb that can be used.  The actual limit in the orbs is that it will protect anything within 400m above/below itself and it will only operate if placed at/below 100m or at/above 2000m.  Therefore, the orb is guaranteed to not apply to anyone from 500m to 1600m.  If someone happened to place theirs at 25m then it would protect up to 425m, but it they placed it at 100m, then it would protest up to 500m.  The LL orbs also have a minimum time setting of 15 seconds and they will simply eject your from the parcel rather than TP you home.

Anyone using their own orb must comply with those rules.  If they do not, LL suggests that you first notify them of the Security rules, via IM or notecard, pointing them to their Covenant, which has been updated to contain the security orb rules.  If you know that the person definitely knows about the new rules and is violating it anyway, then AR them.

• Like 2

@Dragon69014 & @LittleMe Jewell Thanks for the reply. After you both mention it I remember hearing about the Orb Limits. I don't use them myself. And yes I could AR them for not following the new Security rules, but I'm not one of those ppl that just AR people. But maybe I will start just pointing this out to ppl and tell them they are in violation of the Covenant .

• Like 3

• Moles
1 hour ago, TheVeryFirst said:

What are the chances of getting street names and house numbers.

Considering the massive amount of time and resources it would take to:

Name each and every little road and street everywhere
Come up with a numbering system
Create actual signs for names/numbers
Get them through the QA process
Figure in the LI for those signs (which was never accounted for in our reserve LI calculations)
Place out all the signs in the correct spots

All for something that would be cute, but has no actual usable practical value (like a landmark or a slurl region name/coords  has)... I'd say the chances are in the slim to none range.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

What about volunteers / voluntary assistants for help?

With tasks, that aren't too complicated, like "putting numbers on houses while looking on a map/notecard with your instructions" for example?

I think there are many who want to do this, if they got a home already. The new homes are so attractive, a big potential for a great community, some would be pleased to help out.

But I also know the fact, that there are some trolls too ... :/

Sincerely?

I would love having the ability of limited movement of the Linden House placement itself. And the direction it's facing. Nothing major, but just enough so we could better align it to things surrounding it, and possibly choose which windows gets which view, within a limited range, of course. 

Another plus of such ability is that the neighborhood as a whole would  possibly look quite a bit more "organic", with neighboring houses not in the exact same location within its parcel and facing the exact same direction.

2 hours ago, leilee27 said:

A signup list for new linden homes... or some sort of process to assure members will be next to getting a linden home.

You can go get one right now. Meadowbrook versions are wide open.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

As I mentioned it in the group, we could do roads and numbers ourselves, but it would require organisation, people to want to take part and people willing to go along with the decisions made by some quasi self appointed group.

One of the first responses in this thread to the idea was someone picking their own number. Everyone will want to do that, everyone will want a different name too, and half the people will object to the people involved in the whole adventure and compete to reduce participation.

So, going to call this as there being a significantly higher chance of LL doing it, which has already been stated as 'slim to none'.

• Like 2

For a home/street sign people could pick their own number and xxxxx Residence or whatever for the main text, and just have region name and x,y coords in a smaller line of text underneath it..wouldn't have to be difficult.

That's not how I did my own,  people can get creative with them though.

8 hours ago, leilee27 said:

A signup list for new linden homes... or some sort of process to assure members will be next to getting a linden home.

When the new batch of houseboats comes out - Soon®©™ - there will be just shy of or right around 700.  The next batch of houses likely won't be released until just after the SL 16th Bday celebration.  Those batches combined will still likely not be enough for everyone that wants one.  If they created a signup list, it would still be a first-come-first-server basis as to whom gets on the list in order to get their random location assigned.  Those that don't make it into, say the first 700 to request a houseboat, will still complain about the process used -- complain that they didn't know about it soon enough or it was an unfair method for a million other reasons. 

No matter what method LL chooses, it is going to be on a first-come-first-serve basis - whether that be to get your name on a list to get your parcel later or to actually get a parcel.  And those that happen to hear about said method first will thus have the advantage over those that hear about it later.  Creating a list doesn't make it any less random or  more fair.  It is just one more process that would have to be created and managed - when LL already has plenty of things to take up their time in all of this.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Along with the other issues mentioned on the street sign thing and I was going to make some as I thought it was a fun idea --- BUT Street signs go on corners of the STREETS and we don't have the ability to put OUR things OUT THERE. So the best we could do would be to have it on the corner of our property which in many cases (I did the whole continent tour recently) would look 
VERY BAD. :D.  

So personally I shelved the idea. 

I am perfectly happy with all the amenities we have now. I think it would be more fair (and I am guessing The Lab does too) for the folks WAITING for places to get theirs rather than expecting LL to add to the perks that  the lucky ones already have. 

• Like 6

All the 512 Linden Homes have house numbers.

With house numbers you could have an address.

With an address there could be a Post Office.

There is already a mail box to put a number on.

No street signs needed.

Note sent to Bellisseria 21254. You have mail.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:17 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Along with the other issues mentioned on the street sign thing and I was going to make some as I thought it was a fun idea --- BUT Street signs go on corners of the STREETS and we don't have the ability to put OUR things OUT THERE. So the best we could do would be to have it on the corner of our property which in many cases (I did the whole continent tour recently) would look 
VERY BAD. :D.  

So personally I shelved the idea. 

I am perfectly happy with all the amenities we have now. I think it would be more fair (and I am guessing The Lab does too) for the folks WAITING for places to get theirs rather than expecting LL to add to the perks that  the lucky ones already have. 

Mad Pea has (or had? last Friday) a Freebie ... a sign in 3 colours (white black wood) to which you can add a name of your choice (max 12 letters) - I got one and added a name to my place. In England the houses have NAMES not only the streets.

40859992183_d12ccd35be_c.jpg
MadPeaSign by Leora Jacobus, auf Flickr

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Mad Pea has (or had? last Friday) a Freebie ... a sign in 3 colours (white black wood) to which you can add a name of your choice (max 12 letters) - I got one and added a name to my place. In England the houses have NAMES not only the streets.

Couldn't find it even with area search so it may be gone --- or not have "sign" in the name which would be kinda odd LOL.

BUT a great idea and very easy to make. So big thanks. Actually I have something already like that made and can redo a bit.  Great tip. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.