What else would you guys like to see added to the new Linden Home Continent?

Gingir Ghoststar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some ideas:

Adopt Bay City as a 'Sister City'. 

Welcome wagon - but to do this we would need a better way of keeping track of residents, which means we need addresses. Right now I tell people "teleport to Echo Cove and turn left". OK, yes, I know we have teleport location codes, but it would be more fun to say "I live at #? on ____ Pier, or "I live at #? on Greenbriar Road." (However; I realize that for residents to get together and do this in SL would be like herding cats).

Another idea - at some point I picked up an old "I am" sign from the early days of SL. It gave a little information about each resident that displayed it. Maybe just a sign with our avatar name on it on display outside our abodes?

I like the idea of bus stops. Can someone program a bus, or could the Yavapods turn into buses when they run through the continent?

Annual holiday "Rez day" to celebrate the day the first few residences became available?

Someone suggested a community center. I think this is a good idea as long as I don't have to do it. The community centers in different places have different freebies available, and this might be a place to put boxes with the new house and houseboat textures.

Is anyone setting up a table at SLB16?

If people want to form law enforcement role play groups, then we need a 'criminal' RP group, and a 'victim' RP group. Having police cars chasing bad guys or ambulances going by with flashing lights would make me feel very much at home. (Since I'm in a houseboat, it would have to be patrol boats rushing past...)

For Second Life as a whole - a better Pantheon. I know we have monuments to different Lindens and mythical heroes, and there are temples to various RL dieties, but I don't recall seeing any temples to the Goddess of Lag, or to the God that midway through your teleport detaches most of your garments and attaches them at odd points on your body.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

For the Grid!

Some of us pay tribute to Mt. G’al

My reaction was to the picture before I saw the caption, and so a different thought entirely came into my mind, especially after some of the episodes over the weekend.

I remember seeing a notice, now that I think about it, of the tribute to Mt. G'al event.  Now I'm going to have to go and search out this location (or see if it was a group notice rather than group chat).  I've been up on top around the edges, but wasn't aware of anyplace one could be undamaged inside.

Edited by moirakathleen
no need for abbreviations

34 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

My reaction was to the picture before I saw the caption, and so a different thought entirely came into my mind, especially after some of the episodes over the weekend.

I remember seeing a notice, now that I think about it, of the tribute to Mt. G'al event.  Now I'm going to have to go and search out this location (or see if it was a group notice rather than group chat).  I've been up on top around the edges, but wasn't aware of anyplace one could be undamaged inside.

I wouldn't mind a volcano somewhere on the new continent, particularly with updated killing powers. Poor Mt. G'al has lost some of its power, and you have to walk around in the lava a while before the damage kicks in and you "die".  xD

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

How about something simple like a *complete* texture pack, including ground and roof textures

Yes, definitely the roofing textures.  Also, the house flooring textures and the upper deck wood texture.

I'd like the pack to include the textures to some of the objects included in the content pack.  My house has a fence on two sides, a hedge on one side, and the back is open to a rocky foothills type area.  I'd like to add a fence with a gate to the back.  I want it to match the existing Linden fence, but I don't want to use theirs due to LI.  Ditto if I ever ended up with a house that has the brick wall borders - I might want to add more, but theirs are unnecessarily high LI.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:43 AM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This entry, by Jeremy Linden in the Knowledge Base, seems to say the opposite: that checking these means those on the outside of your parcel cannot hear you. You can still hear them, I believe. https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/parcel-media-r41/

• Sound: Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel - Enabling this means an avatar needs to be on this parcel to hear gesture and object sounds originating from within it. This is useful if you have environmental ambience like birdsong and don't want to disturb the neighbors, or if you have an Adult-rated establishment and prefer that passerby don't hear sexually explicit noises. As cautioned above, maturity ratings take precedence.

It doesn't say that you can still hear people from other parcels. Restricting your parcel sounds & voice puts you on a different channel, so you wouldn't be able to still hear sounds & voice from parcels on separate channels.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:56 AM, stlshayne said:

As far as I know, this is true. I have this checked, and I still hear police sirens at times from (honestly) across the continent at times (I don't mind unless it goes on for over 30 minutes, after that it's like... you just must be a bad police officer, why have you not taken care of this crime?). Also gestures and whatnot. Not sure if those are happening in parcels or public land, but as far as I am aware, this setting is only restricting sounds from your own parcel. 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Checking those boxes changes things on YOUR parcel. Your neighbors need to have them checked on THEIR parcel for it to affect you.  

(I hope this doesn't sound argumentative, b/c it's not intended to be. I just want to help people better understand how the features work)

In the 10+ yrs I've been in SL, and thru the many different sims/parcels I've managed, these 2 features have always worked the way I explained. If you restrict your sounds/gestures & restrict your voice to your parcel, it prevents people from hearing anything coming from your parcel, but it also prevents you from hearing sounds & voice coming from anywhere else on the sim, regardless of other people's personal land settings (only time I've seen this not be true is when SL is being a pain & not working properly). Maybe I can explain it so it makes more sense why it works this way.

It seems like people are simply making a misinterpretation of LL's explanation of the feature - It says what the feature does, but if you don't understand how it works, it could be easily misinterpreted.

• Sound: Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel - Enabling this means an avatar needs to be on this parcel to hear gesture and object sounds originating from within it. This is useful if you have environmental ambience like birdsong and don't want to disturb the neighbors, or if you have an Adult-rated establishment and prefer that passerby don't hear sexually explicit noises. As cautioned above, maturity ratings take precedence.
  • Restrict Voice to this parcel - Similar to Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel, enabling this prevents voice chat from being heard by avatars unless they are on this parcel. Good if you want to have a spatial voice chat in the open yet maintain some privacy.

It states that it restricts any sounds/gestures/voice to your specific parcel, which is exactly what it does. So, that means your sounds/gestures/voice have been restricted to a separate channel than the rest of the sim, which is why they can no longer be heard by people outside of that parcel. So, knowing this, you can understand why still being able to hear other's sounds & voice from outside your parcel wouldn't make sense.  Regardless of what other people's parcel settings are, you're still on a different channel than they are, so as long as you are in your own parcel, you should not be able to hear sounds from outside that parcel. Notice when you activate the "Restrict Voice to this Parcel" that your voice dot disappears then reappears - this happens because it's switching your voice channel.  You can't voice chat with someone that isn't on that same channel. It works the same with sounds/gestures. That is why, you and a friend can stand less than a meter apart, but on opposite sides of the parcel line, and not be able to hear each other, because you are on separate channels. Think of it this way, it's just like being in a voice call on skype, or discord, or facebook - you can't hear each other unless you're in the same channel, it's no different in SL.

Here's an example, private voice calls in SL, you're switched to a different voice channel and the only people that can hear you are the people in the call....anyone that is not in that same voice call is unable to hear you, and you are also unable to hear anyone outside of the call (because you're on 2 different channels).  If what you are saying were true, then by that same  logic, when people are in private calls, they would still be able to hear the people outside of the call, but people outside of the call wouldn't be able to hear them - doesn't make sense right? Once you're on a separate voice channel, you can't hear them, and they can't hear you.  Another example, which is another feature located in Sounds, is restricting avatar sounds to Group only. When this is restricted, you can be on the same parcel as others, but if you are not in the land group, your sounds/gestures will not be heard, b/c the parcel sounds have been restricted to a specific channel for that group only.

If you're still hearing sounds from outside your parcel, it's possible that you think you have your land set up right, but accidentally missed checking one of the options, or you might have checked it but it just didn't save & needs to be checked again, since we know how often some things don't save properly in SL. It's also possible that there was just an error when you restricted your land & it didn't switch you over properly. You could try un-checking then re-checking the options. Also, check to make sure you don't have some type of media playing on your parcel that you are unaware of, which could be where the sounds are coming from. If it still doesn't work, the land may need a fix. This is SL after all, and things sometimes don't work how they should. Sometimes lands get "borked" so to speak, & also sometimes avatars get "borked" as well. Also, sometimes when it should be switching you to a different channel or server, it errors and doesn't switch you over. Just to give an example of this, it's like how sometimes when you TP out of a sim to another sim, but your About Land info doesn't change and your voice is still stuck on the server of the previous sim and you can still hear sounds from that sim, it's the same concept, it happens because there was an error and it didn't switch you to the channel for the sim you're entering. The only other advice I can offer, is that if every thing is set up right, but you still hear them,  you might consider contacting the region owner to check into the issue, or in the Linden Homes case, Filing a Ticket with LL to have it fixed.

I hope this helps give a better understanding of the feature's function ♥

Edited by Stephy Silvercloud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Stephy Silvercloud said:

Sound: Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel - Enabling this means an avatar needs to be on this parcel to hear gesture and object sounds originating from within it. This is useful if you have environmental ambience like birdsong and don't want to disturb the neighbors, or if you have an Adult-rated establishment and prefer that passerby don't hear sexually explicit noises. As cautioned above, maturity ratings take precedence.

I recently filed a feature request (that was accepted) concerning the behavior of this land option, wishing to switch the use case from a desire to be neighborly to one of simply not wanting to hear your neighbors (This would also enable you to block sound produced on Linden owned land near/surrounding your parcel).

As things stand, it is up to the owner of the parcel containing the sound producing object to tick the box; preventing any sounds produced from escaping.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-226833

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, definitely the roofing textures.  Also, the house flooring textures and the upper deck wood texture.

I'd like the pack to include the textures to some of the objects included in the content pack.  My house has a fence on two sides, a hedge on one side, and the back is open to a rocky foothills type area.  I'd like to add a fence with a gate to the back.  I want it to match the existing Linden fence, but I don't want to use theirs due to LI.  Ditto if I ever ended up with a house that has the brick wall borders - I might want to add more, but theirs are unnecessarily high LI.

Same here too. It's good practice to use the same textures as often as you can in a build to save on load and rendering time too, or so I've been told, so this would be a benefit. As it is I resort to the old take-photo-and-crop trick, but that doesn't always make for seamless results. Case in point; my fence. I used the LL brick wall that shipped with the pack but the posts were too LI heavy so I made my own. Even adjusting the texture faces by increments doesn't line my picture up to the actual wall any better - and it's giving me an eye twitch. I even attempted to make a sloped roof section but again, my usual trick just didn't cut it, so the pergola remained. A full texture pack would be ideal, exteriors especially. One can dream. 

5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I recently filed a feature request (that was accepted) concerning the behavior of this land option, wishing to switch the use case from a desire to be neighborly to one of simply not wanting to hear your neighbors (This would also enable you to block sound produced on Linden owned land near/surrounding your parcel).

As things stand, it is up to the owner of the parcel containing the sound producing object to tick the box; preventing any sounds produced from escaping.

I was always under the impression that in ticking the box to contain your own parcel sounds, you were also blocking sounds from off your parcel from being heard on it. Certainly worked when I've lived in noisy neighbourhoods.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kaylee Romano said:

I think she means hosting, not performing. 

Yeah, forgot to put a winky face to emphasise it was a joke.

As for Lindens hosting... I think they’re kinda busy enough, and weekends too?

Hordes of festival goers trampling my flowers!!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

;);););)  - in case anyone was in doubt

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Walpurgisnacht said:

...As for Lindens hosting... I think they’re kinda busy enough, and weekends to?...

Well if there was a theater - or a sort of club - some open air stage ...

I am sure there are singers that would volunteer to perform - hoping for tips (as they allways do) - or would that be "commercial" ??

11 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Thank you for this. Why that setting isn't turned ON by default when purchasing land is kind of a less-than no-brainer scenario. Go figure.

• Like 1

No idea how long it's been since the Osmium corner rental sims have been used for anything, I was involved with some events there many years ago and was always a great time. They could be rented for Bellissaria festivals once or twice per year maybe..thinking stardew valley-ish. Maybe a monorail along the new channel too, it's such a long and open stretch connecting continents there.

A couple playgrounds with working equipment and a leaf pile to jump in would be nice as well, similar to Shermerville park.

I remember the days when Azure Islands had a 4 sim volcano, before it got bought out and carved, used to take roads/trails over by horseback then we'd ride shopping carts down the sides...fun but not quite as useful as Mount G'al.

Edited by Evola Courtois
  • Like 1

What else would you guys like to see added to the new Linden Home Continent?

Better road layouts.

The way it is in many places it feels like you are in a maze.  You have to turn way too often to get from point A to point B, and all the dead ends being unmarked makes that frustrating at times. The layout also probably causes more server load than it needs to... You are heading North, so you are downloading the data for what is in your path, then you have to turn East, now all that Northbound data is not needed any more and you start loading the Eastbound data, but about 4 houses later, you turn again.  It is probably pretty tough on someone with a slower connection.

Twisty-turny subdivisions are cool, but there should also be a more direct route, especially as this continent grows and the distance people want to travel get longer.

1 hour ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

Better road layouts.

The way it is in many places it feels like you are in a maze.  You have to turn way too often to get from point A to point B, and all the dead ends being unmarked makes that frustrating at times. The layout also probably causes more server load than it needs to... You are heading North, so you are downloading the data for what is in your path, then you have to turn East, now all that Northbound data is not needed any more and you start loading the Eastbound data, but about 4 houses later, you turn again.  It is probably pretty tough on someone with a slower connection.

Twisty-turny subdivisions are cool, but there should also be a more direct route, especially as this continent grows and the distance people want to travel get longer.

It does make it interesting though. I’m getting to the point where I’m no longer having to consult the map on certain sections, but this only comes with repeated travel.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:19 AM, RaeLeeH said:

Same here too. It's good practice to use the same textures as often as you can in a build to save on load and rendering time too, or so I've been told, so this would be a benefit. As it is I resort to the old take-photo-and-crop trick, but that doesn't always make for seamless results. Case in point; my fence. I used the LL brick wall that shipped with the pack but the posts were too LI heavy so I made my own. Even adjusting the texture faces by increments doesn't line my picture up to the actual wall any better - and it's giving me an eye twitch. I even attempted to make a sloped roof section but again, my usual trick just didn't cut it, so the pergola remained. A full texture pack would be ideal, exteriors especially. One can dream. 

I think we all agree. I really need the wood on the Winchester veranda and the roof. I solved the roof problem by picking a totally different material - a semi - transparent glass roof. It turned out great, the glass roof look really elegant. 😊

But for rendering, it would be better to repeat the wood and roof texture, instead of picking something else. I used both a slate texture for one ground terrace, and an "almost the same as the veranda wood deck" for the other.

Edited by Marianne Little
Typos and grammar errors
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.