What do you think about either the book and/or movie "Ready Player One"?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Didn't read the book but did watch the movie. I was not impressed! Maybe because I expected much more out of Steven Spielberg. I was rather bored with it to be honest. I did enjoy the backstage exhibit of Aech’s Garage in Sansar though.

• Like 1

I read the book and saw the movie, and I thought the book was better. Neither one was a favorite, though. I’ve read much better YA books. Reading the book I had to suspend some major disbelief that those kids knew so much about obscure 80’s “stuff”.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I’ve read much better YA books. Reading the book I had to suspend some major disbelief that those kids knew so much about obscure 80’s “stuff”.

Read the book; couldn't be bothered with the movie.

I totally take your point about the obscure 80s stuff: I was actually alive then, and I doubt that I knew 10% of the trivia that they kept unearthing. I suppose a particular kind of gaming nerd might -- and the 80s are certainly nostalgia fodder these days -- but this was really obscure stuff.

Which actually left me wondering: who was the target audience for this book? It was certainly formulaic YA stuff, but surely the importance of the obscure nostalgic references would attract primarily people who'd by now be in their 40s or even 50s???? Is there anyone out there under the age of 30 or so who has even heard of Rush's 2112, for instance? (The main reason I know of it is that I live in the band's hometown.)

So . . . a YA novel for doddering 50 year-old gaming geeks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed the movie as light entertainment. Nothing deep of mind boggling. It looked good enough, and the characters where likable. If it had a deeper message it went over my head, because it was either to deep, or more probable, to obvious.

• Like 1

Book was great! Lot of nostalgia in there, easy read. You could tell the Oasis was at least partially inspired by Second Life.

The movie sucked, especially if you read the book. Probably would’ve been better as a mini series. Did not like it.

I read the book and watched the movie. Apparently the DMCA doesn't exist or perhaps all of the old media fell into public domain. I was amazed at every game, anime, movie and 80s reference built into the story or placed in the background. It had all the marks of a Spielberg film as well which gave it a good solid overall feeling. I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

• Like 1

What I find interesting are the claims that it was inspired by Second Life and yet I can't find a single official source to backup that claim. The only sources I can find anywhere are pre existing SL players desperately trying  make the "inspired" connection a real thing 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I lasted roughly 60 minutes before it bored the utter living day lights out of me, once I got past the "Oh its a virtual world" it became a mediocre mundane movie with a sub par plot

SO... basically the same general description of 99 of every 100 movies they produce these days. Gotcha.

5 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I seen the movie and it was ok..Not something i would watch and then be like,lets go see it again.

I think I spent more time looking for Easter Eggs than paying attention,which might be why.. But that's how they hyped it up in my eyes..

I picked up a few, but many I remember from worn-out VHS video tapes.

4 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

I read the book and saw the movie, and I thought the book was better. Neither one was a favorite, though. I’ve read much better YA books. Reading the book I had to suspend some major disbelief that those kids knew so much about obscure 80’s “stuff”.

The book is always better, right? I remember my grandparents saying this, so it must have been true all this time and still is.

3 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I enjoyed the movie as light entertainment. Nothing deep of mind boggling. It looked good enough, and the characters where likable. If it had a deeper message it went over my head, because it was either to deep, or more probable, to obvious.

Here we go... this pretty much expresses my feeling toward it. It was entertaining but still silly and cartoonish. At least it wasn't *another* *Marvel* Hero movie*. I am so burnt out on Marvel movies that I feel numb when I watch them (Even the horrible Warner DC movies feel more refreshing to me by now). At least Ready Player One was different.

Edited by Alyona Su

13 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The book is always better, right?

So true.  IMO the only notable exception to this is GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire, and that is only because he won’t finish the gd series. 

17 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

At least it wasn't *another* *Marvel* Hero movie*. I am so burnt out on Marel movies that I feel numb when I watch them. At least Read Player One was different.

Yes to this! Enough already.

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I read the book and watched the movie. Apparently the DMCA doesn't exist or perhaps all of the old media fell into public domain. I was amazed at every game, anime, movie and 80s reference built into the story or placed in the background. It had all the marks of a Spielberg film as well which gave it a good solid overall feeling. I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

From what I read, it took about a decade to make...and seven years of that was getting the necessary copyright and trademark permissions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.