What do you think about either the book and/or movie "Ready Player One"?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Alita: Battle Angle is pretty awesome if you want something else than the common superhero movies :)

I am waiting for someone to *coughs* do that thing we shouldn't talk about on a public forum *coughs* a decent copy of it. It looks pretty damn good to be honest. I am bored of super hero movies as of late and utterly sick of marvel. Though I will give credit to Aquaman, that was actually one of the best movies I have seen in some time.

• Like 1

Read the book and loved it. Just looking at the previews of the movie, they changed things big time (lots more action and scenes I don't remember reading about at all. I will watch the movie when it gets to be free stream download (subscription) but don't care to pay to see it as I am pretty sure I will STILL prefer the book (which I would read again when I forget it a bit more :D).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

would have enjoyed it more if it was told from Art3mis' perspective and it didn't end with her being gifted to Wade as reward.

Yessssss.

She was waaaaay cooler and more interesting that Wade in any case.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the movie  "Ready Player One"

It was entertaining and not too much brain needed to watch it. Also I made a lot of comparisons between how things were and SL and wondered if the writer had account.

I also tried to recreate a costume in SL . 

17 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I am waiting for someone to *coughs* do that thing we shouldn't talk about on a public forum *coughs* a decent copy of it. It looks pretty damn good to be honest. I am bored of super hero movies as of late and utterly sick of marvel. Though I will give credit to Aquaman, that was actually one of the best movies I have seen in some time.

Agreed. (Just bought it on iTunes last night) - and to stay on-topic (somewhat, at least) - I will see it in the same genre as what Ready Player One is: Eye candy for vegetating on without deep philosophical themes and purely for simple entertainment. They all use the relatively same paradigm in terms of story arc and themes.

The thing with Marvel (in my mind) is that they all look and feel *the same*; every movie is an epic disaster (in which case, where are all the other heroes when that happens?) Every "threat" always seems to be the same amplitude of urgency and danger. It's as though they've hit an "intensity ceiling" after the first Avengers movie and all the rest are just continuations on the same themes. Up to that point, they were fresh and fun. Call it desensitizing. When you've seen something awesome and wonderful enough times it becomes boring and ho-hum.

Ready Player One was fresh. Wonder Woman was refreshing because it wasn't about Ultra-good versus pure evil. Even the villain was simply (arguably) a somewhat sympathetic character just trying to achieve something he believed in, albeit in a way most of humanity would disagree with. But it was bright, had some good, not over-the-top, humor, etc. Marvel's very dialog almost feels predictable. With Aquaman - it felt refreshing and new - though done before, but not really in Marvel movies that I recall, is the hero who doesn't want to be, and just the right sprinkling of humor. The eye-candy was definitely a treat. I feel the same way about Ready Player One: it was bright, colorful, a fun roller-coaster ride, and most of all: different.

My favorite part of Ready Player One is the reveal that the big burly brute character is played by a girl! Bahahaha

(I made Rady Player One titles bold so my wall-o-diatribe can be seen as being at least a teeny bit on-topic) ~laffs~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I enjoyed it, would have enjoyed it more if it was told from Art3mis' perspective and it didn't end with her being gifted to Wade as reward.

That's what I disliked about the movie (not read the book). It's nerd fantasy fulfilment. Wade has almost no redeeming qualities and is ripped straight out of the incels guidebook, with a heavy dose of Nice Guys (tm). He can be reduced down to "if I get better at computer games then girls will like me", and an obsession with geek trivia replaces anything remotely resembling an actual personality. And yet he gets rewarded with everything - fame, power, sex - simply because he knows some obscure garbage. It's a terrible message. And all the movie does it wrap that terrible message in a smothering cloud of contextless references, in the hope that the audience will spend their time nudging their neighbour and saying "ayyyy geddit?!?" than actually processing the trash being thrown at them.

It was a pretty movie and all, and made a couple of interesting side points. But it all got drowned out by one of the worst protagonists of recent years and a swarm of five second reference-cameos. Not a fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

And yet he gets rewarded with everything - fame, power, sex - simply because he knows some obscure garbage. It's a terrible message

Its a lovely message! I know obscure garbage too

/me waits for fame, power and sex

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Alita: Battle Angle is pretty awesome if you want something else than the common superhero movies :)

I loved the movie! As a reader of the english version graphic novels that came out in the 90s, it was a pleasure to see Alita realized in such a big budget movie. The sequels will be amazing if they continue to draw stories from the manga. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

That's what I disliked about the movie (not read the book). It's nerd fantasy fulfilment. Wade has almost no redeeming qualities and is ripped straight out of the incels guidebook, with a heavy dose of Nice Guys (tm). He can be reduced down to "if I get better at computer games then girls will like me", and an obsession with geek trivia replaces anything remotely resembling an actual personality. And yet he gets rewarded with everything - fame, power, sex - simply because he knows some obscure garbage. It's a terrible message. And all the movie does it wrap that terrible message in a smothering cloud of contextless references, in the hope that the audience will spend their time nudging their neighbour and saying "ayyyy geddit?!?" than actually processing the trash being thrown at them.

It was a pretty movie and all, and made a couple of interesting side points. But it all got drowned out by one of the worst protagonists of recent years and a swarm of five second reference-cameos. Not a fan.

Oh, nice! I'll admit I didn't give the book this much thought (it was a subway read), but your analysis of Wade sounds about right. Now I almost feel I need to reread it with this analysis in mind.

(Please don't make me reread the book. Please.)

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I loved the movie! As a reader of the english version graphic novels that came out in the 90s, it was a pleasure to see Alita realized in such a big budget movie. The sequels will be amazing if they continue to draw stories from the manga. 

There was a movie that came out in 2004 that Alita reminded me of called Casshern.. I guess it was based off of a cartoon from the 1970's..

I just remember seeing the trailer for it and wanting to see it really bad and having a hard time finding it in the states..But finally did..

The camera work in it was some of the wildest of it's time and ground breaking..

Alita gives that same feeling..I mean while watching the Alita trailer,That movie right away came into my head..So I knew Alita was going to be as special..

This is the trailer for Casshern..This is 2004.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I've read the book and seen the film.  I thought both were excellent.  Even if Ready Player One wasn't inspired by Second Life, to me it seemed like it was.  The plot in the film is a bit shorter than in the book, but the book does get a little bogged down in challenge after challenge in the middle.  

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.