Voice or Text?

RachelWales

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Depends on who I am with and what I am doing; I voice when it comes to interviews for hiring hosts as we go over so much however we do type if we have too and I have to be on voice when it comes to staff or manager meetings.

I have few trusted close friends I voice with however I mostly type; though I do not mind folk hearing me but I have to known you a while to do so as I am not good at speaking always due to speech impediment though I try not let me stop me.

• Like 1

It's interesting how intimate and personal voice is considered to be in SL (for me as well), when in RL, it would mean absolutely nothing at all. One of the reasons why SL relationships are so intense. Things that are utterly weightless in RL become loaded with meaning here.

• Like 3

I like text over voice. One part it is easier to have multiple conversations with text than with voice. With voice you can so easily cut someone off by accident, you can't really do that with text.

My other is that text doesn't pick up the random background noises that comes with living in a multiple person household, where with voice if someone speaks up around you at the wrong time-- everyone can hear them in the background.

Now, voice does have its uses, but it depends on the place and the what-for, but mostly-- I'm a text person.

• Like 2

Without a doubt: Text.

I'm not a native speaker and I admit, that I would feel insecure talking to others in English. Writing on the other hand is much easier. Other advantages of writing are, that I have a bit more time to phrase my words and that I have more 'freedom' getting up from my chair, listening to music etc. without someone noticing (compared to being in a voice chat with someone).

I also got the feeling that the SL voice chat isn't the best and that I would prefer, if some people here did not voice (terrible audio quality in general, chewing food while talking, noisy background sounds...). If I would do a voice chat with someone, I would prefer to switch it to a different software (preferably discord, as this is what I have currently installed and use for gaming).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Voice, because then you don't have too deal with Grammar nazi's.

I see what you did their.

Although, technically, wut u did they're would also necessitate a Punctuation Nazi, but why belabour a forum hilarity, eh?

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Haha 4

Victor Borge remains one of my life's heroes.  To this day, I find it hard to resist adding a verbal period or exclamation point.  The grandaughters seem to like those a lot.  I'm working hard to educate them properly, despite their parents' resistance.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I prefer text too.

But I think this survey's badly biased by the medium it's conducted in.  All of us Forum users are textually oriented!

That's possible. Didn't think of that. I've participated in quite a few forums so I guess I am biased towards text naturally. I do like a good verbal conversation when the discussion is interesting though, as well as story telling, tutorials and lectures but I'm more of a listener. Good point.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Victor Borge remains one of my life's heroes.  To this day, I find it hard to resist adding a verbal period or exclamation point.  The grandaughters seem to like those a lot.  I'm working hard to educate them properly, despite their parents' resistance.

I love Victor Borge.

I've been told that grandparents and grandchildren share a special bond because they have a common enemy.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

In text I:

• don't fight off dead air with "um", "uh", and "like".
  • don't cough or sniffle.
  • can converse while crunching potato chips and swilling root beer.
  • have time to use Google to boost my apparent IQ.

In text you all:

• don't fight off dead air with "um", "uh" and "like" (Okay, some of you say "like". Stop that!).
  • don't belch or toot.
  • can converse while having sex with someone else.
  • have time to appear at least as intelligent to me as I pretend to be for you.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.