What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Is that noon or midnight SLT? Cuz those hours are the ones I'm usually logged in. Noon to midni... ok well no I don't usually stay up that late. I try to shut down between 9 and 10 and leave the late nights for the weekends... when I can manage to stay up late and awake.

Twelve noon SLT...…………..that's the problem!

Mods that move threads I've posted in from General Discussion to sections I never post in just because the title had the word sex in it. FFS not every discussion that uses words like sex is an adult conversation not meant for young ears/eyes. Gung ho mods are detrimental to forum health.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Mods that move threads I've posted in from General Discussion to sections I never post in just because the title had the word sex in it. FFS not every discussion that uses words like sex is an adult conversation not meant for young ears/eyes. Gung ho mods are detrimental to forum health.

I’m with you. Someone probably reported it and a mod just moved it and washed their hands of the whole thing. The mods are pretty hands off about things until someone reports it. 

It happens a lot in the Avatar forum. Someone will ask a question that’s loosely based on the vaguely worded criteria for posting. Someone else will ask a similar question and *boop* moved.

I know because I tested it. Someone asked a question about finding a hairstyle. It sat there for a couple of weeks, people attempted to answer it. Nothing happened. I asked a question that was worded similarly. *boop* lasted about an hour. The other question was still there. So I reported it for the same thing (sorry I was testing out my theory) and *boop* it got moved too.

Someone reported it.

50 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Being male or female is one's SEX. "Gender" is a journalist-invention because SEX is a BAD WORD. Definition of gender: "Either of the two SEXES." LOL

Edited by Alyona Su

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Being male or female is one's SEX. "Gender" is a journalist-invention because SEX is a BAD WORD. Definition of gender: "Either of the two SEXES." LOL

How is Gender a Journalist's Invention? It was used way back in the day. That doesn't mean that sex and gender mean the same thing. It just wasn't an invention of a journalist. For many millenia, women were the caregivers of the household. While the men, were the providers were considered the providers of the household. It worked for a long time, but times have changed. And both can be a provider or caregiver. But Gender has nothing to do with Journalism.

1 minute ago, halebore Aeon said:

How is Gender a Journalist's Invention? It was used way back in the day. That doesn't mean that sex and gender mean the same thing. It just wasn't an invention of a journalist. For many millenia, women were the caregivers of the household. While the men, were the providers were considered the providers of the household. It worked for a long time, but times have changed. And both can be a provider or caregiver. But Gender has nothing to do with Journalism.

She's referring to the word, not the concept. The word "gender" as we know it today is about 60 years old, doing the usual scientific thing of stealing a Latin and/or Greek word. Prior to that the word "sex" was used for what we now consider to be the separate concepts of "sex" and "gender".

In part because of that, "sex" has become a "dirty word" to many, as there's now an "alternative for polite society". That's largely why "sex" and "gender" are used interchangeably, colloquially, by the majority of the English-speaking population.

12 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

She's referring to the word, not the concept. The word "gender" as we know it today is about 60 years old, doing the usual scientific thing of stealing a Latin and/or Greek word. Prior to that the word "sex" was used for what we now consider to be the separate concepts of "sex" and "gender".

In part because of that, "sex" has become a "dirty word" to many, as there's now an "alternative for polite society". That's largely why "sex" and "gender" are used interchangeably, colloquially, by the majority of the English-speaking population.

Precisely. In the United Sates most, if not all legal documents use the word sex, not gender. The word was substituted in most types of journalism because they literally didn't like the word sex.

1 hour ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Just to pre-empt the inevitable question; the use of the word "gender" prior to ~1955-1960 was referring to the grammatical property, eg the masculine form of a word. 

Gender referred to both feminine and masculine forms at least up until the 70s. It's what I was taught even through high school, Class of '77.

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I agree with you, but as a mod on another forum (Amateur Radio) I've been accused of doing similar as that board also has an adult area. It's the top brass or the higher ups that dictate policies and mods are just following protocol. And the times I moved threads on that mboard was also due to reports --- some people are touchy and scared to see the "sex" word.

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I agree with you, but as a mod on another forum (Amateur Radio) I've been accused of doing similar as that board also has an adult area. It's the top brass or the higher ups that dictate policies and mods are just following protocol. And the times I moved threads on that mboard was also due to reports --- some people are touchy and scared to see the "sex" word.

I've owned my own forums in the past and I am fully aware that orders come from higher up. Doesn't change anything. I still have to deal with an ever shrinking pool of people (and posts) I can interact with because too many consider themselves to be such special snowflakes they can't be exposed to a word that has been a part of the English language since the 14th century.  There is a such thing as carrying PC too far. We're supposed to all behave like adults so there shouldn't be any need to treat us like children.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've owned my own forums in the past and I am fully aware that orders come from higher up. Doesn't change anything. I still have to deal with an ever shrinking pool of people (and posts) I can interact with because too many consider themselves to be such special snowflakes they can't be exposed to a word that has been a part of the English language since the 14th century.  There is a such thing as carrying PC too far. We're supposed to all behave like adults so there shouldn't be any need to treat us like children.

I had my own mboard at one time back in the mid 2000s --- but took it down due to all the drama and stuff. I was a lot more flexible there and more leeway then a corporate owned one.  As for PC, it's gone too far.  I own a bar in RL and we have DJs there (sometimes simulcasting into SL) and have a few "snowflakes" say the music is not appropriate or not PC. Many things are so different from when I grew up back in 1896.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is hateful or not, and don't get me wrong. I really love the LGBT community. But there are more Shemale/Femboy events and clothing. Nothing geared towards the overal Transgender Community. I don't mind shopping at my usual stores, but when you have most of the stuff in that category made for Vtech Maitreya Addon, or The new Eve Androgynous body. Look, I get it's popular. But it just feels like me as whole, is either not that popular, or that no one really wants to see actually people who identify as trans have anything to do with them. I am talking FTM or MTF trans people. Like the market is capitalizing on the Femboy/Shemale, and kinda throwing the rest of the trans community into the trash. At least that is how I see it. Really becomes discouraging, when you are looking for stuff that looks kinda masculine, but has boobs. I am FTM trans, and kinda have this tomboy look. Not a big fan of dresses or girly stuff. I am more into the urban, grunge, emo, and goth look. But yeah, that is my rant over. If anyone disagrees with me, I am totally willing to hear them out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.