What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Anyone care to go through the Terms of Service to see if said Policies are framed in the Terms of Service as applying only to Mainland?

You beg the question. Are said Policies actually included within the TOS itself at all? OR, as per another way of reading these, are these particular policies, which apply only to Mainland, not articulated there precisely because they are not applicable outside of Mainland. If the latter is the case, then what is implied is that the separate Mainland policies are part of the TOS, and have equal force, but framed separately because not universally applicable.

IF these policies are restated, essentially verbatim, in the TOS, without direct and explicit application to the Mainland only, then your point is well made. IF they are not, and are to be found only in a separate "coda" to the TOS that is explicitly labelled as applying only to Mainland, then you are surely wrong.

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You beg the question. Are said Policies actually included within the TOS itself at all? OR, as per another way of reading these, are these particular policies, which apply only to Mainland, not articulated there precisely because they are not applicable outside of Mainland. If the latter is the case, then what is implied is that the separate Mainland policies are part of the TOS, and have equal force, but framed separately because not universally applicable.

IF these policies are restated, essentially verbatim, in the TOS, without direct and explicit application to the Mainland only, then your point is well made. IF they are not, and are to be found only in a separate "coda" to the TOS that is explicitly labelled as applying only to Mainland, then you are surely wrong.

The policies aren't restated in the TOS, they only reference the document. The document is titled Mainland Policies, defines "mainland" as a separate entity and the listed powers are mentioned as applicable to "mainland" regions.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

The policies aren't restated in the TOS, they only reference the document. The document is titled Mainland Policies, defines "mainland" as a separate entity and the listed powers are mentioned as applicable to "mainland" regions.

Well, ok. That seems pretty conclusive to me.

Policies I'd like for mainland:

• No skyboxes. We need those CPU cycles down at ground level. Land ownership stops at 128m above ground level.
  • No high walls around parcels. If you want total isolation, go elsewhere.
  • Bellesaria-type ban line and security orb rules.

LL should offer a free moving service - swap your parcel for one on an Isolation Island, where you can have skyboxes, walls, and ban lines. LL does a bulk move for your objects. You get to sell the old parcel, and LL deducts L$1/m^2 to pay for the new parcel. You get your isolation, you get some money, and someone else gets a parcel under the new policies.

Just making that offer would start the cleanup of mainland.

Edited by animats
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, animats said:

Isolation Island...

Isolation Islands are real.

isolationcontinent.thumb.jpg.e08bfa01718146f79df2133c5d9b612c.jpg

Your own little square. All to yourself. You can put up security orbs, walls, and ban lines. No one will bother you ever again.

If that's what you want, get off mainland and move to one of these. Several big landlords are in this business. This one is in Monet.

Edited by animats
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Your own little square. All to yourself. You can put up security orbs, walls, and ban lines. No one will bother you ever again.

If that's what you want, get off mainland and move to one of these. Several big landlords are in this business. This one is in Monet.

Or they can stay on mainland and do the same. Mainland has had the same lack of rules for 16 years. LL isn't going to add any now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

Is the landlord going to give me the first 1024 sqm free and only then charge me the same tier that LL would.  And is LL going to guarantee that the landlord isn't going to pull out for some reason - or at least relocate me for free if they do?

I don't use security orbs or ban lines or parcel walls (but I do have a sparse skybox), but one of the biggest reasons to stick with Mainland, IMO, is that I only have to worry about LL and not a landlord.

3 hours ago, animats said:

No skyboxes. We need those CPU cycles down at ground level. Land ownership stops at 128m above ground level.

In thinking about this though - I've had neighbors in the past that have chewed up far more resources on the ground with their breedable farms than I ever did in my skybox that only contains a few items of furniture.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, animats said:

• No skyboxes. We need those CPU cycles down at ground level. Land ownership stops at 128m above ground level.

LL should offer a free moving service - swap your parcel for one on an Isolation Island, where you can have skyboxes, walls, and ban lines. LL does a bulk move for your objects. You get to sell the old parcel, and LL deducts L$1/m^2 to pay for the new parcel. You get your isolation, you get some money, and someone else gets a parcel under the new policies.

Policies I'd like to see for mainland...no use of animat's suggestions please.  That is all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, animats said:

Isolation Islands are real.

isolationcontinent.thumb.jpg.e08bfa01718146f79df2133c5d9b612c.jpg

How about NO, we will stay on mainland and enjoy it the way we have always done.  Go peddle your ideas some place else.

PS. I don't use ban lines and only have very minimal orb protected areas but I object to you telling people what they should do.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, ok. That seems pretty conclusive to me.

Except that the bit quoted further up states otherwise - a bit Theresa quoted while going round and round, pretending not to understand what was being said.

Either these policies are part of the ToS - in any form - or they aren't.

If they are not, the quoted bit is meaningless and without any truly official weight outside of how the Lindens have chosen to proceed.

Now to that end, neither is wholly right and neither is wholly wrong. Why do I say this? The Terms of Service actually links back to the various Policies without directly incorporating them verbatim and does list them as being for Mainland.

So: The policies are indeed only for Mainland but are also part of the Terms of Service, separated categorically.

So I partially retract my earlier statements and apologize only for dragging that out as long as it was.

The fact remains that the new continent is more a revamp of the Linden Homes project than it is a part of the Mainland. The fact remains that it has a Covenant specifically to outline the further restrictions Linden Lab has placed upon it. The fact remains that said Covenant should not be incorporated into the ToS, CS or any similar document.

You can see exactly what I was getting at, above with animats more recent posts.

ETA: And with that, honestly I'm done - with more than just the "argument".

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, animats said:

No skyboxes. We need those CPU cycles down at ground level. Land ownership stops at 128m above ground level.

How does a skybox waaaay up in the sky affect your CPU more negatively, than a structure on the ground?

No high walls around parcels. If you want total isolation, go elsewhere.

Actually, mainland is the place to go to, if you want to build high walls. Because mainland is the place, where you can have a parcel with no rules regarding what you build. Many private estates have rules for that, especially regarding height of walls.

• Like 2

LL should offer a free moving service - swap your parcel for one on an Isolation Island, where you can have skyboxes, walls, and ban lines. LL does a bulk move for your objects. 

I’d be afraid this would happen.

DAD4E6D2-B145-4AAB-922A-D0F2C78D678E.jpeg

• Haha 1

A couple of my petpeeves:

lagaholics - People who know that they will be attending a very crowded event and take this opportunity to wear every scripted item known to man. 

People who say in their profile, "I keep sl and rl separate"  Seriously? So I guess they've never been mad or upset at anyone in sl.  I bet they've never cried or been hurt by someone or from something that has taken place in sl. Nor have they ever been sexually stimulated by something or someone in sl.  Who are these emotionless people that can run around sl and keep rl and sl separated? I believe that they may keep some personal information to themselves. But I'm not buying the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chablis Kinsella said:

People who say in their profile, "I keep sl and rl separate"  Seriously? So I guess they've never been mad or upset at anyone in sl.  I bet they've never cried or been hurt by someone or from something that has taken place in sl. Nor have they ever been sexually stimulated by something or someone in sl.  Who are these emotionless people that can run around sl and keep rl and sl separated? I believe that they may keep some personal information to themselves. But I'm not buying the rest.

I've never written something like that in my profile, but I might. It's not a matter of being emotionless.  It's a simple statement that nobody in RL knows who I am here and nobody here knows who or where I am in RL.  That's the way it has been for twelve years and I don't intend to change it. I value my privacy and I don't see a compelling reason to open a door between the two worlds.  My friends in SL and RL have always accepted that as one of my personal bits of quirkiness.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I've never written something like that in my profile, but I might. It's not a matter of being emotionless.  It's a simple statement that nobody in RL knows who I am here and nobody here knows who or where I am in RL.  That's the way it has been for twelve years and I don't intend to change it. I value my privacy and I don't see a compelling reason to open a door between the two worlds.  My friends in SL and RL have always accepted that as one of my personal bits of quirkiness.

It can also be linked back to text RP and the IC/OOC dividing line.

Though no matter which way you slice it, it (and variations) essentially boil down to keping some barrier between Online and Offline social (and other) circles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chablis Kinsella said:

People who say in their profile, "I keep sl and rl separate"  Seriously? So I guess they've never been mad or upset at anyone in sl.  I bet they've never cried or been hurt by someone or from something that has taken place in sl. Nor have they ever been sexually stimulated by something or someone in sl.  

That's not what I take that statement to mean, and I doubt it's what most people who use it take it to mean. 

Perhaps a more accurate phrase would be "what happens in SL stays in SL".

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Biggest cause of RP drama, in my experience. Wish fulfilment RP which gets thwarted when one player's fantasy clashes with another's. 

4 hours ago, Chablis Kinsella said:

A couple of my petpeeves:

Wow. So... Somehow the barebones statement "I keep SL and RL separate" tells you I am an emotionless robot? Bahahaha. You really don't have a clue that this refers to *information* and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with feeling or emotion, do you? Remove the rose-colored blinders, the world a lot larger than what you're seeing.

Some of my pet peeves: People just like yo... ~sighs~ Nevermind. 

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Though no matter which way you slice it, it (and variations) essentially boil down to keping some barrier between Online and Offline social (and other) circles.

Precisely. Though one could proclaim "common sense", but comments like the one I quote above prove time and again that common sense just really isn't always all the common.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, animats said:

I think there would be  a riot if you tried to make people on the mainland give up their skyboxes.

• Like 1

Guy "There's this lovely town you should see"  (first ever conversation)

Me "Don't have much time, my meal is almost ready"

Guy *ping* TP invite arrives...…..   OK So I'm "curious"...…………………..

I rezz on his fully equipped balcony...………………..And TP home.

Me " You didn't tell me it was your home?"

Him "It's just a place to start, there are three sims here"

Just a place to start what exactly I'm thinking...……….Grrrr!  I know, I know I fall for it every time...…… :P

6 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Guy "There's this lovely town you should see"  (first ever conversation)

Me "Don't have much time, my meal is almost ready"

Guy *ping* TP invite arrives...…..   OK So I'm "curious"...…………………..

I rezz on his fully equipped balcony...………………..And TP home.

Me " You didn't tell me it was your home?"

Him "It's just a place to start, there are three sims here"

Just a place to start what exactly I'm thinking...……….Grrrr!  I know, I know I fall for it every time...…… :P

How was the view of the town from his balcony?

The list is endless but here are the highlights:

Bling - In its day it was pretty nice, but that day has passed.  Now it just looks like a shorted out electrical connection.  Not to mention, if they had any real diamonds they'd see they don't sparkle like a 4th of July sparkler.

Illegible Fonts - What it is, is a desperate need to make themselves feel special.

Name with numbers -  Yes, I know how hard it is to come up with a name to satisfy the "that name is unavailable" message.  But, I suppose you haven't noticed display names?

Names that are not names at all, they are actually part of a sentence.  

Supposed Dominants with their given name in lowercase letters  such as "imma Dom"

Profiles in perfect English, owned by people that couldn't hail a cab in English.

Blank Profiles - Most often owned by people that are 10+ years old

Generic names, no picture and blank or generic profiles - Owned by people that often change their race and sex from time to time.

The common phrase on a submissive's profile that they are "Under the protection of ......."  - Seriously, you really need help muting and derendering?

TOS Disclaimers -  Are you really that simple minded to believe that you simply saying you don't have to comply with the rule makes you immune?

Gachas - Some people just love to gamble, I get it, and even though gambling is illegal in SL ( as far as I know ) this sort of gambling is not!

Message Limits -  IMs and notices should be separate.  Usually after joining any club I turn off notices because I will be inundated by notices.  Party starts at 9 SLT, Party as started, party is at the half way mark,  Party is over BUT we have another in 1 hour.  etc!

Linden Love - Yes, I should tip someone for playing songs that I can play on my own and tip the hostess for working hard for me.  What exactly is she doing?  Sending out linden love request span into local chat?  Helping someone with a VIP tag, that is too slow to figure out how to join on their own?

Fitted for the (insert body type) - and its popping out everywhere just standing still with very minor movements

NO Demo -  Imagine going to a clothing store IRL and being told "No, you can't try it on and No, there are no refunds"   Why doesn't the vendor just put up a sign that says "Give me your money and if you are no happy, TOO BAD"

Getting nasty IMs from a vendor for putting up a negative review

Getting offers from a vendor for free items if you take down a negative review.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How was the view of the town from his balcony?

The view was the ocean. I guess the town was behind........

That was my second invite "home" today and I was only out for 30 minutes. Thankfully that's very unusual............

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.