What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

Okay, may I ask what Elitism is? I kinda understand Ageism, but not fully. Actually can you please explain both.

It's basically just people that think they are better than everyone else for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes, the very affluent have this attitude towards those less financially well off.  You'll also sometimes see those with advanced education degrees looking down on others simply because they don't have those advanced degrees.  Those are two examples that come quickly to mind.

Ageism and elitism can each operate in the opposite direction as well.  Elderly people can look down their noses at young people who have less life experience, less well-honed social skills, less cultural memory, less respect for their elders ...... And people who are (or perceive themselves to be) out of the elite can take perverse pride in being contrarian, thus displaying a sort of anti-elitism that is just elitism turned upside down.  Any of the "isms" is the result of creating a division between one group of people and another, usually in order to claim that the speaker's own group is somehow superior to the other one, so any of them can also have a mirror image, depending on which group the speaker belongs to.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

But don't we stereotype people, anyway? Just wondering?

It's hard to avoid.  People are hardwired to notice differences, so it's only a small step to make value judgments about them.  It's probably one of those survival instinct things that were useful in our hunter-gatherer days.  The trick is to recognize when you are falling into the trap of making a harmful stereotype.  Some people don't seem to try very much, or they've had life experiences that harden their opinions.  I know I struggle not to make unkind generalizations about people, not always successfully.

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's hard to avoid.  People are hardwired to notice differences, so it's only a small step to make value judgments about them.  It's probably one of those survival instinct things that were useful in our hunter-gatherer days.  The trick is to recognize when you are falling into the trap of making a harmful stereotype.  Some people don't seem to try very much, or they've had life experiences that harden their opinions.  I know I struggle not to make unkind generalizations about people, not always successfully.

See that is what I mean, no one is perfect. We are gonna judge someone, even if we don't notice it. Like if someone is acting weird, or sketchy. We are gonna make assumptions on how they act.

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

See that is what I mean, no one is perfect. We are gonna judge someone, even if we don't notice it. Like if someone is acting weird, or sketchy. We are gonna make assumptions on how they act.

Yes, but the point that Selene or others would probably make is that we ought to be aware that we are making those assumptions, rather than just making them blindly without being self-critical.  We have the ability to study our own behavior and understand where our interpretations of other people are coming from and, one might argue, we have a moral obligation to use that ability.  Otherwise, we are prisoners of our assumptions, perhaps to our own disadvantage and in our unfair treatment of others.  To borrow an aphorism, "Ignorance can be cured; stupidity is forever."  Self-awareness is our hope for curing ignorance and avoiding stupidity.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, but the point that Selene or others would probably make is that we ought to be aware that we are making those assumptions, rather than just making them blindly without being self-critical.  We have the ability to study our own behavior and understand where our interpretations of other people are coming from and, one might argue, we have a moral obligation to use that ability.  Otherwise, we are prisoners of our assumptions, perhaps to our own disadvantage and in our unfair treatment of others.  To borrow an aphorism, "Ignorance can be cured; stupidity is forever."  Self-awareness is our hope for curing ignorance and avoiding stupidity.  

Precisely. Thank you.

On 5/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Windywinters said:

Because events are laggy and person can be not able to move or even fast log off😂😂

I understand lag which is why I always land flying so I can shoot up a bit which is usually possible even if it's laggy.  Plus I'm not talking about crowded events, I mean just normal places with a few people that isn't swimming in lag.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

I understand lag which is why I always land flying so I can shoot up a bit which is usually possible even if it's laggy.  Plus I'm not talking about crowded events, I mean just normal places with a few people that isn't swimming in lag.

Ok,in some cases person's computer is not very strong and can be lag no matter how many people there:) I wish to be not laggy at normal place)

I just want to submit to you all as evidence of the state second life is in lately by all of the wonderful responses i just got from my list.  I would think that at least one or two people would have responded with "omg i know exactly what you mean!"

but instead not only was my list atttacked, i was personally attacked as well (even going so far as one lovely person saying they would block me in world) for sharing my own experiences.

Lovely.

first of all to the 60 year old who blocked me in world (i dont need to quote the resonances you can read them there)  You obviously didnt read what i was saying.

i am not talking about someone who is 9 months younger. i am speaking of older women who flat out refuse to even talk to a guy whos SEVERAL YEARS younger then them.

If your going to get bent out of shape over something so much as to block someone in world that you and i most likely never would have crossed paths anyways.  You might do well to actually read what the person is saying first.

secondly to the response of the person saying that submissives arnt doormats.

that is again, NOT what i am saying.   Of course a submisive has the right to her own opinion i am NOT saying they dont.   What i am saying is i meet so many on second life who claim to be "submiisive" in which case i beleive a truley submisive woman and not just one who "roleplays" should have a submissive personality. they are polite, respectful , they can have opinons and thoughts but not try to say it in a way to force it upon someone.  thats what i mean.  The types who after only knowing you for 5 minutes will blurt out "your not a dom" thats what i mean.    No you dont have to bow down to someone the second you meet them nor accept their collar BUT it would be NICE if you could show a LITTLE respect and politeness.

MOST of my pet peeves are about commen sense about being a human being. about showing other people you give two cents about more then just yourself...about proper COMMUNICATION which should be a cornerstone of every connection.....friends or mor

but i oh so thank you for your lovely responces.  and i think for the future ill keep my opinions free from these forums lest a group of you make a notecard of every thing i say you dont agree with and pass it around to all your friends (been there too).

I add every single comment to my list of my pet peeves that was made to me.....to my list of pet peeves. because ironically your responses just proves my point.  Not one of you. not a single one responded positively to my list and said "omg i know exactly what you mean." and that my friends is the problem.

and yes maybe some of my actions have caused issues. i am not a saint by any means. but you know bottom line i TRY to give the person i want to connect with the same level of consideration i hope they give me. and time and time again quite honestly you people on sl are just down right RUDE!

but thats ok... ill remember the responces and remember what they say about karma people ;-).

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, EveniosReturns38 said:

I just want to submit to you all as evidence of the state second life is in lately by all of the wonderful responses i just got from my list.  I would think that at least one or two people would have responded with "omg i know exactly what you mean!"

And they didn't. Why do you think that might be?

28 minutes ago, EveniosReturns38 said:

but instead not only was my list atttacked, i was personally attacked as well (even going so far as one lovely person saying they would block me in world) for sharing my own experiences.

Yes. Why do you think that might be?

I'll put you out of your misery. Most of us don't relate to being constantly blocked, ignored, avoided and rejected because we don't treat people in such a way as to make them constantly want to block, ignore, avoid and reject us.

To take just a few examples: 

• You think that if someone "gives into" your sexual demands once (have you any idea how this makes you sound?), they have no right to refuse a day later.
  • You think that older women owe you a "chance", the implication being that they should be grateful for your attention because they are older.
  • You complain about submissives "forcing" their opinions on you. If you were actually a Dom, then not only would nobody be able to force anything on you (mute and block, my dear), but you would actually be very interested to know what is going on inside your sub's head. "The types who after only knowing you for 5 minutes will blurt out "your not a dom" thats what i mean..."...Why should they not say that? You're not. It took me less than five minutes to read the first whinge that made it obvious that you're not.
  • You have been blocked after arguments on enough occasions to make it a pet peeve, and you still can't work out the common denominator.

I could go on, but I think the point is made. In short, you understand neither consent, nor power exchange, nor, it would seem, karma...because for all your threatening us with it, you haven't grasped that it's already come for you in the form of all your many, many peeves.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, EveniosReturns38 said:

Lovely.

first of all to the 60 year old who blocked me in world (i dont need to quote the resonances you can read them there)  You obviously didnt read what i was saying.

i am not talking about someone who is 9 months younger. i am speaking of older women who flat out refuse to even talk to a guy whos SEVERAL YEARS younger then them.

If your going to get bent out of shape over something so much as to block someone in world that you and i most likely never would have crossed paths anyways.  You might do well to actually read what the person is saying first.

[...]

MOST of my pet peeves are about commen sense about being a human being. about showing other people you give two cents about more then just yourself...about proper COMMUNICATION which should be a cornerstone of every connection.....friends or mor

but i oh so thank you for your lovely responces.  and i think for the future ill keep my opinions free from these forums lest a group of you make a notecard of every thing i say you dont agree with and pass it around to all your friends (been there too).

I add every single comment to my list of my pet peeves that was made to me.....to my list of pet peeves. because ironically your responses just proves my point.  Not one of you. not a single one responded positively to my list and said "omg i know exactly what you mean." and that my friends is the problem.

and yes maybe some of my actions have caused issues. i am not a saint by any means. but you know bottom line i TRY to give the person i want to connect with the same level of consideration i hope they give me. and time and time again quite honestly you people on sl are just down right RUDE!

but thats ok... ill remember the responces and remember what they say about karma people ;-).

missedpoint.gif.0ca1fb80c079f638dcf5db3d94f086b7.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

One of my biggest pet peeves, and it's one of few. When creators use 3rd party software, like Daz 3D to show off their item of clothing in their ad. I would like to see the item in the world, so I can see how it looks. Like cmon, you are just adding extra work. Having to rig now for the DAZ3D body, on top of the other bodies you rigged for. That and they tend to edit the ***** out of it, to the point, when you buy the product. It looks totally different than the ad. Also, skin creators who do that too, they will airbrush the crap out of the ad photo. That the skin will look totally different in SL.  But that is why I demo all of my stuff first, so I don't screw myself over. Ultimately disappointing myself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

One of my biggest pet peeves, and it's one of few. When creators use 3rd party software, like Daz 3D to show off their item of clothing in their ad.

THIS 

I will not buy something if the creator doesn't think it good enough to show it off in SL where it will actually be used.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

One of my biggest pet peeves, and it's one of few. When creators use 3rd party software, like Daz 3D to show off their item of clothing in their ad. I would like to see the item in the world, so I can see how it looks. Like cmon, you are just adding extra work. Having to rig now for the DAZ3D body, on top of the other bodies you rigged for. That and they tend to edit the ***** out of it, to the point, when you buy the product. It looks totally different than the ad. Also, skin creators who do that too, they will airbrush the crap out of the ad photo. That the skin will look totally different in SL.  But that is why I demo all of my stuff first, so I don't screw myself over. Ultimately disappointing myself.

Checking the demo is essential anyway. Because even with unedited SL pictures there's always a large variety of how it will look for someone else on their PC with different viewer/settings.

Someone experienced with SL's photography can (and will) take amazing pictures using ultra graphics and some tweaks from FS's phototools or the BD viewer. And those pictures will most likely will be taken from perfect angle in the perfect environment (lights mostly), so you really won't see any possible issues that might be present (bad rigging, bad textures, seams between textures or meshes etc) or how it looks on your screen, until you actually try it. Same story for all those awesome outfits you can find in blogs or flickr pages. Pictures in many cases look great and mix-and-match outfits themselves are very creative, but I think I won't be too far from the truth if I'll say that >90% of them are unusable for any other purposes, unless you enjoy having items clipping through your body (and through other items) on every step.

And yeah, sadly SL follows the RL here, products (especially food) always looks perfect on ads, but in reality... not so much, especially if you take a really close look.

---

New pet peeve of mine after recent MP shopping streak. People (mostly the FP template resellers, but not always) who list million of demos for each color. Sometimes there's like 1-2 full pages (with 96 items on each page) with just 1-2 of such items that I have to scroll through that garbage to get to something else, then maybe a few random things and another page of colored demos from the same store.

We've finally got the favorites/wish lists on MP not that long ago, maybe it's time to add the black list/filter for such stores or "the technology just isn't there yet" ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

And yeah, sadly SL follows the RL here, products (especially food) always looks perfect on ads, but in reality... not so much, especially if you take a really close look.

I know, I saw a video about that. Like using motor oil for Syrup on Pancakes. Yeah, I know they do that kinda stuff. But there is a big difference between RL and SL, in SL you are not limited to certain limitations. Like you would be in RL. How hard is it to take a really good shot in SL, using the product you are selling? I don't mind people using PS just to airbrush or touch up the photo, and add their logo and stuff. But when you have to sit there and pull a fast one on customers. That to me is bad business practices. What did you not rig it right, for a specific body? Like there are so many questions you ask, that makes you wonder why you are buying the product. But honestly, it isn't that hard and is less work, to do the photo in SL, touch it up in PS, and then upload it to SL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I'm never buying rigged clothing for any body without a demo first unless it's under 100 .. and even then it feels from experience like an unlucky coin toss. Even with demos I will buy one thing for every 5 I try out

I got really tired of throwing things out and wasting money.  I've dropped my "no demo" cap to 50L.

19 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

16 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

THIS 

I will not buy something if the creator doesn't think it good enough to show it off in SL where it will actually be used.

It's simple: no demo, no sale. What. So. Ever. @LittleMe Jewell - Mine has always been L$25. It would have to look really impressive to risk more, but rarely ever and even then, never more than L$100 - EVER.

13 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

I know, I saw a video about that. Like using motor oil for Syrup on Pancakes. [...]

This actually has to do with photography itself; it's a requirement. For example, the meat in those steaks and hamburgers adverts are always raw (otherwise they look burnt to a crisp), Oils are necessary because almost all syrup comes out near black. I'm not saying it's right, just explaining the RL reasons they do that.

Now, human model adverts are where they are outright hoodwinking us all. As for the in SL versus 3d App ray-traced renderings? You can always flag that item and "not what is advertised" ["Incorrect Image..."] (I paraphrase) - and yes: the IMAGES DO COUNT. I know, I've flagged a few and they were taken down. //JustSayin

As for pet peeves and Market Place: reviews like "Hey, keep up the good work?" and "Thank you!" Uh... hello? Reviews are not for communicating with the creator; they are for you to give a testimonial, positive or negative, maybe even answer some questions that other shoppers may find useful in making the purchasing decision.

Edited by Alyona Su

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

As for pet peeves and Market Place: reviews like "Hey, keep up the good work?" and "Thank you!" Uh... hello? Reviews are not for communicating with the creator; they are for you to give a testimonial, positive or negative, maybe even answer some questions that other shoppers may find useful in making the purchasing decision.

But if you leave a review, that seems negative. Even if it is constructive criticism. Like hey, I really like your product, but there are a few things I would change about it. They instantly take it down, that is the issue today. No one likes constructive criticism and will delete those reviews instantly. So it's rather moot to review anything these days, RL or SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.