Jump to content
  • 0
FairreLilette

Which Do You Prefer COPY or TRANSFER?

Question

Regarding non full perm items, which do you prefer...COPY or TRANSFER?

1)  Furnishings. 

COPY or TRANSFER?  

With copy you can copy as many chairs as you want for example.  But, with transfer, you could have your own little yard sale when you want to re-decorate or sell your items.

2)  Clothing.

COPY or TRANSFER?

With copy, you can make little outfits with the outfit feature.  With transfer, you can have a yard sale when you are tired of your old clothes.

So which do you prefer?  

 

 

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You can make outfits even with no copy items. The Outfits folder and the individual outfit folders contain only links (pointers) to the actual object in your inventory.

I only very, very rarely buy no copy things, and then only if they're very, very special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I prefer copy all the time especially when the thing is mod... must be very cheap for me to consider "no copy" stuff

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I prefer 'copy' for both.  On a very few occasions I've bought no-copy from not paying attention, and been annoyed.  Gachas are a whole other thing, and they are evil.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Copy for both.

Furnishing I will not accept transfer no copy. When I want to clean the lot I want to just go parcel setting and wipe the place.

No copy is acceptable with cloth items but I would prefer copy no transfer any day. Reselling old cloth is a nice appeal and feature but I would prefer the convenience of copy items instead, if you set one copy on fire whether by resizing it wrong or something else, all you need is copy from the original. 

Having said that I think most consumers are fine with no copy / transfer, otherwise gacha wouldn't be a thing. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Gachas are a whole other thing, and they are evil.

Well there are not so wicked gachas which can be replaced with or already are (via transferable vouchers - hell some of those voucher gachas even come with redelivery service) copy/no trans... I just stick to those...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

Well there are not so wicked gachas which can be replaced with or already are (via transferable vouchers - hell some of those voucher gachas even come with redelivery service) copy/no trans... I just stick to those...

Ooh, I didn't know that.  I'll check next time I'm tempted by something shiny :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

Ooh, I didn't know that.  I'll check next time I'm tempted by something shiny :)

Some store owners have a gacha replacement policy in their profile (most time picks) and voucher gachas usually are marked with warning signs for what they are (or users would try to open the voucher instead of clicking it as HUD attachment)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Copy/Mod.

I've lost too much transfer no-copy stuff over the years to be rather wary of it.
I also try to reduce the amount of NoMod stuff I buy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Copy and modify.

Copying allows for users to gaurentee they will not accidentally loose their item, as well as to to make backups.

Modify because modifying encourages creativity. I highly dislike(and refuse to buy) no mod(unless it is on scripts which can be understandable but modify on scripts would be a bonus) as I often find myself wanting to change the size(RESIZE SCRIPTS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE AND CREATE LAG), link stuff to it or unlink parts, add animations(or remove should I want to make something PG), create my own textures or improve upon them, or even add my own scripts which interface with my parcel permission system, or to rewrite ancient LSO or horrible 1 script per prim systems. People often make stuff "no mod" as a way to copy bot stuff, but this does not work. If I wanted to, not saying I would, but I could copy bot a no mod/no transfer/no copy item. Once the object exist in world, regardless of permissions, it can be copybotted.

Also no modify on textures/animations/sounds are a plague. I need to rename animations sometimes and no mod prevents that. There is no reason to have these set to no modify because there is nothing to modify but the name.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I want Copy on everything.  If I want to give something to someone, I'll use a vendor gift option - I have no desire to sell anything, so don't need Transfer for that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I used to be a girl who bought only copy.

Now I am into gacha, and they are no copy.

I like transfer clothes, so I can send it to an alt. I see no risk of loosing wearables, since if a folder is lost in Inventory, it is lost no matter what permissions it had. I lost a whole folder of copy clothes.

I used to mod much more before, and then I needed copy in case I accidentally ruined some. I don't bother to mod gacha wearables.

For Inventory, I want to have copy for full priced items.

I never buy expensive gacha items. I buy second hand gacha. Last years gacha still look great, and people dump prices to get rid of them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I only buy copy items. If I want to gift something - I will use marketplace gift functionality.

Mod is always nice to have - but I am modifying items so rarely that it is not really necessary (thought - it would be useful if you could rename items in your inventory - even if they are no-mod.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

For anything my AV wears, I actually wouldn't mind all of it no copy/transfer.  I am not interested in modding any of it, so that is not a problem.  I do buy a lot of stuff, I also tend to get bored of stuff Ive had for a while.  It would be nice to be able to just give it away, pass it on to someone that could use it.  I am pretty brutal about trashing anything that does not fit or I do not wear anymore...I cringe a bit every time, as it I would prefer to just be able to give it away.  I collect a lot of gacha stuff for that reason, aside from the fact that a lot of it is super cute too :P

When I am buying furniture, housing and/or garndeny type stuff, I do prefer that to be Copy/Mod..for the obvious reasons.  I don't mind having cute gacha decor though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Without a doubt, I want copy, 99% of the time. The other 1% would likely fall under special circumstances, so they'd be situationally dependent. 

I don't care about transfer capabilities for the vast majority of things. If something isn't transfer, but I want to gift it, I can use that option on MP. If I find something inworld that isn't transfer and I want to gift it, I can look to see if that's an option. If it's not an option, I don't buy it, I find something else. 

No copy can be such a pain in the rear. 

Then again, I don't buy clothing or av accessories all that often. Sometimes I go years without buying them(ok, most of the time, sigh..I loathe shopping, what can I say, lol). So my opinion may be greatly skewed by this fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I've written this before but it applies here so I'll write it again.

Furniture
As and ex-seller of furniture - transfer, no copy. If I were a buyer of furniture, I would have no particular preference.

The reason why I, as a seller of furniture, never sold copyable versions is because of the rental businesses, some of which rent out dozens and dozens of homes. I did that myself in my very early times. I did not want a landlord to buy, say, one sofa, and rez dozens of copies of it. That would have been unfair to me. I was frequently offered 3x the price for copyable versions, but I never did it. I did quantity discounts instead, which many landlords accepted.

I can't imagine that a seller of sex beds, that sell for a few thousand L$, would sell them as copyable, for that reason. My most expensive sex bed was only L$1100, but the same applies.

It's not all about the buyer. There's another person in the transaction who also has a point of view.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's not all about the buyer. Remember that there's another person in the transaction who also has a point of view.

The designer, of course , has a point of view...and however they decide how they want to sell something, that has and will always be up to them.  But, the reality is....most people want copy/mod furniture and houses... period. 

I occasionally make exceptions for cute gacha items or an item of superb detail that I cannot live without it :P  If I find a cute chair for my new dining table....and if I cannot copy it over and over to fill in seating for 40 people if I so choose, I am 100% not going to buy it.   I would not hold any negative feelings about it, I would just simply move on and find a designer that offers something that will work for me.

We all have a lot of choices.....that goes for both designers and consumers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
40 minutes ago, Tarani Tempest said:

The designer, of course , has a point of view...and however they decide how they want to sell something, that has and will always be up to them.  But, the reality is....most people want copy/mod furniture and houses... period. 

Absolutely true.

Maybe so, but the "reality" that I found was that I was in the top few % of earners in SL, transfering ~US$5000 a month to my bank from sales of no copy funiture. One forum user once wrote, "Whenever you go to Phil's store, there are always people shopping in it".

Attitudes concerning permissions may well have generally changed over the years, but, if I did it again, which I won't, I'd still sell mod/trans/no copy furniture. I would still never sell a copyable sex bed, sofa, or anything that that landlords could rez many dozens of and pay me for only one. If you sell something that people want, probably most people who want it will overcome their desire of the copy permission - as many landlords did by buying quantities at a good discount, and coming back for repeats.

I wrote and sold a temp rezzer many years ago, but none of my furniture was suitable for it, because temp rezzers need copyable items in them. It seemed a bit stupid, so I stopped selling it rather than sell copyable furniture.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've written this before but it applies here so I'll write it again.

Furniture
As and ex-seller of furniture - transfer, no copy. If I were a buyer of furniture, I would have no particular preference.

The reason why I, as a seller of furniture, never sold copyable versions is because of the rental businesses, some of which rent out dozens and dozens of homes. I did that myself in my very early times. I did not want a landlord to buy, say, one sofa, and rez dozens of copies of it. That would have been unfair to me. I was frequently offered 3x the price for copyable versions, but I never did it. I did quantity discounts instead, which many landlords accepted.

I can't imagine that a seller of sex beds, that sell for a few thousand L$, would sell them as copyable, for that reason. My most expensive sex bed was only L$1100, but the same applies.

It's not all about the buyer. There's another person in the transaction who also has a point of view.

I guess I'd never shop at your store then. I always rezz multiple copies of furniture I like, be it sofas, chairs, or sex beds. And me any my friends rezz copy items for each other too in each others homes. You only had to create the item once, its not like you build each piece you sell individually. 

Charge me $2000 L for copy and don't worry about how many copies  I rezz, because I assure you, it WILL be lots and lots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
31 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Absolutely true.

Maybe so, but the "reality" that I found was that I was in the top few % of earners in SL, transfering ~US$5000 a month to my bank from sales of no copy funiture. One forum user once wrote, "Whenever you go to Phil's store, there are always people shopping in it".

Attitudes concerning permissions may well have generally changed over the years, but, if I did it again, which I won't, I'd still sell mod/trans/no copy furniture. I would still never sell a copyable sex bed, sofa, or anything that that landlords could rez many dozens of and pay me for only one. If you sell something that people want, probably most people who want it will overcome their desire of the copy permission - as many landlords did by buying quantities at a good discount, and coming back for repeats.

I wrote and sold a temp rezzer many years ago, but none of my furniture was suitable for it, because temp rezzers need copyable items in them. It seemed a bit stupid, so I stopped selling it rather than sell copyable furniture.

If you are not currently up with what is going on the furniture/housing business at this time.... what you did or didn't successfully do in the past has very little to do with today's market.  Things have changed so much....and designers have had to change along the way.  Just one small look at the fashion market right now, and it's extremely obvious how much it has changed in a few short years.

As for those Landlords (landlords are people too, why don't they ever get any love!).....as for those landlords, they can find amazing furniture by a lot of amazing designers that sell all their stuff copy/mod.  They have no reason to have to deal with a 'no copy' rule.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I didn't suggest that that's not the case. I gave my point of view. I included that attitudes might have changed over the years. But I'd still never sell copyable furniture.

As I said, if you sell something that people want, and it's no copy, most people will probably suspend their no-copy attitude and buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

As I said, if you sell something that people want, and it's no copy, most people will probably suspend their no-copy attitude and buy it.

I suspect that's only correct in the most extreme cases. Personally, on very rare occasions, I have resorted to buying no-copy objects -- even suffering the vile indignity of gacha a few times -- but it's a huge disincentive to my buying a thing.

No-mod is nearly as bad for me... it might be worse, even, but there are fewer direct substitutes for those items commonly sold as no-mod (clothing, mostly). I can kinda understand that virtual haberdashers and wig-makers think that there's no need for users to modify fitted mesh (it can't be resized) -- but they're completely wrong. I need to be able to add scripts to your attachments (among other reasons: no, you did not get auto-alpha correct, nobody ever does) and I need to be able to rename it. Always. And god forbid I should tint it or adjust Materials settings to better match other items I'm wearing.

tl;dr: Copy always beats Transfer for me, and No-Mod weighs very heavily against an item.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×