Which Do You Prefer COPY or TRANSFER?

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Regarding non full perm items, which do you prefer...COPY or TRANSFER?

1)  Furnishings. 

COPY or TRANSFER?  

With copy you can copy as many chairs as you want for example.  But, with transfer, you could have your own little yard sale when you want to re-decorate or sell your items.

2)  Clothing.

COPY or TRANSFER?

With copy, you can make little outfits with the outfit feature.  With transfer, you can have a yard sale when you are tired of your old clothes.

So which do you prefer?  

Edited by FairreLilette

I don't buy no copy at all unless it's a non-rare gacha I get off the MP at less than pull price.  In the rare occasions that I wanted a rare gacha, I made sure that the creator would swap out the no copy for a copy version before playing to get said rare.

Back in the day it was hard to get furniture and garden items that were copy so I had no copy items of those types of things. Actually those items have been deleted from my inventory either by accident or more likely on purpose and replaced with copy items of similar use, because it's just not worth the headache or storage room to keep no copy items in my inventory.

About the only thing I will buy that's not mod is clothing, though I do prefer mod clothing. I won't buy no-mod hair at all unless the hair maker includes a way to tint the hair by using a hud, but I have to be in love with the hair to buy it as I like having the ability to turn on alpha masking on hair strands when necessary to stop alpha glitching with hair base or clothing. 

No copy/no mod furniture .. I laugh and keep walking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It might have been be greed on my part. It probably was. But it wasn't at other people's expense, whereas, if you'd bought a sofa from me and rezzed it twice because you needed two, it would have been at my expense, because you would have bought two it it had been no copy. More importantly, it would have meant that landlords would have rezzed many dozens each, and only paid for one. They'd have been right to that if I'd sold copyable furniture, and I really want them to do that. It worked brilliantly for me :)

It was very much at their expense every time sl glitched and they lost items, I bought no copy when I first started and didnt know any different, I can still see the transactions in my emails, totalling 24,857 l$ I have precisely none of those items any more all lost to rez bugs. Tell me again how no copy isnt at my expense

• Like 1

Items do get lost through LL glitches, but I replaced them if they really were lost. Sometimes they weren't lost, and I helped the customer find them. I even use to help people out who'd made a mess of an item, such as accidentally retexturing it, or taking to bits and not being able put it back together again. But that's an aside.

That's how no-copy isn't at your expense ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins

21 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

But it wasn't at other people's expense, whereas, if you'd bought a sofa from me and rezzed it twice because you needed two, it would have been at my expense, because you would have bought two it it had been no copy.

Smart merchants offer a “copy” option at higher cost.

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Items do get lost through LL glitches, but I replaced them if they really were lost. Sometimes they weren't lost, and I helped the customer find them. I even use to help people out who'd made a mess of an item, such as accidentally retexturing it, or taking to bits and not being able put it back together again. But that's an aside.

That's how no-copy isn't at your expense ;)

You may have most merchants seemed to see it as an opportunity to sell me a new one, surprisingly they got told where to shove said item

@Love Zhaoying

Smart? Maybe, maybe not. I do know how often landlords offered to pay me 3x the normal price (your higher price), but that would have meant letting them have many dozens of the item at what would have been a pittance. It was one of the normal ways of doing it back then though. I chose not to. I also know how often landlords would buy quantities at a discount, and come back for more quantities. Smart? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?

Edited by Phil Deakins

12 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

You may have most merchants seemed to see it as an opportunity to sell me a new one, surprisingly they got told where to shove said item

Yep. I know there were those who wouldn't help out. I don't know about "most" though. I really don't know. Perhaps the smaller ones who weren't selling all that much prefered to do it that way.

I've always been helpful to my customers, so much so that, when I eventually closed the store, I didn't have a Closing Down Sale. I see those as the seller letting down (sticking 2 fingers up to) their customers who have paid full price for stuff, perhaps even the day or week before, so I simply wouldn't do it.

ETA: I still occasionally get people IMing me to find out what happened to the store because they want another of something. I treat them very well. They receive the only copyable items (except cushions) that I've ever let loose.

Edited by Phil Deakins

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Smart? Maybe, maybe not. I do know how often landlords offered to pay me 3x the normal price (your higher price), but that would have meant letting them have many dozens of the item at what would have been a pittance. It was one of the normal ways of doing it back then though. I chose not to.

Right. And you would have lost my business to a merchant who DOES offer copy couches. Get it? Plus, I’m not a “Landlord” so you don’t lose anything. This reminds me:

2449E76A-A401-41E7-9690-05CC94F7660C.jpeg

• Haha 3

That would never have made even the slightest difference to me, Love. I used to sell so much that missing the sale of a sofa would never have been noticed ;)

There's no need for anyone to argue about it. I posted why I never sold copyable furniture, that's all. It's a perfectly valid reason, and can't be argued with. People do have different views of the same things, y'know.  It's no good trying to persuade me either, because I don't sell anything now, so it's a total waste of effort.

ETA: Incidentally, I only closed the store less than a year ago, and that was after letting it run down naturally for 7 or 8 years. People were still buying, even though most of the stuff had to be considered as retro, compared to the excellent mesh furniture that's been around for some years. It used to amaze me. After all that time, it was less than a year ago that it arrived at the point where it was no longer financially worthwhile keeping open.

Edited by Phil Deakins

13 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

You can make outfits even with no copy items. The Outfits folder and the individual outfit folders contain only links (pointers) to the actual object in your inventory.

I did not know you could make outfits with no copy items.

Anyhow, I'm glad I asked because it's good to know.

And, this question really wasn't about Gacha or Gatcha.  Those just are no copy/transfer items.  I'm okay with Gacha, personally.  Though Gacha is a different discussion altogether.

Thanks so much for replying!  

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm going to step on a lot of toes now :)

Imo, the main reason why people want copyable furntiture is greed. Examples: They want to place a copy in several rooms, or in more than one building, or they want to rez a copy or two for friends if they like it, or they rent homes out and they want to put one or more in each home, but they don't want to pay for them.

There are other minor reason, but that, imo, is the most common reason for wanting copyable furniture.

So because I have 4 sl homes I switch between (all on different sims) you think I should buy furniture 4 times if I want it in all 4 locations? Yeah no thanks.

• Like 2

I'm not the one who has been bringing points up about the successful business model that I used. As long as they do, I'll reply to them if I consider them worthy of a reply. And I'm not arguing. I'm providing factual information about the business model I used when other people seek to persuade me of how wrong or bad it was - even illegal and immoral in one case. There's a big difference ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm going to step on a lot of toes now :)

Imo, the main reason why people want copyable furntiture is greed. Examples: They want to place a copy in several rooms, or in more than one building, or they want to rez a copy or two for friends if they like it, or they rent homes out and they want to put one or more in each home, but they don't want to pay for them.

There are other minor reason, but that, imo, is the most common reason for wanting copyable furniture.

lets see buy a no copy couch from Phil for $1000 L or buy basically the same couch in a copy version from someone else for $ 1000 L.

It seems to me that you are the greedy one Phil expecting people to pay you over and over for the same thing even though each additional copy required no additional effort on your part.

I'm sure someone will say omg see Phorumities is a communist after all he wants the fruit of someone elses labor for free but thats not true. Phil made it ONE time and thats how many times I should have to pay for it.

See its all about the free market. Phil can offer his wares with any limits he wishes and the customers can agree to his conditions, or they can go to the vendor down the street.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It’s a pet peeve of mine that some furniture is BOTH overpriced and no-copy. Greedy merchants.

Lol. Part of my business model was that my furniture was definitely not overpriced. Some people used to tell me that it was too cheap (moneywise), and that I should be charging more. But I often said (and wrote in the forum) that I'd rather sell 11 at L$100 each than 1 at L$1000 each. And it worked extremely well.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

Lol. Part of my business model was that my furniture was definitely not overpriced. Some people used to tell me that it was too cheap (moneywise), but I often said that I'd rather sell 11 at L$100 than 1 at L$1000. And it worked out extremely well.

Those cheap bastards.

@KT Kingsley

I didn't say that, and you should know it!

When someone suggested that it was greed to want to "maximise your income", as you put it, I said that it probably was. Your comment was just plain silly.

It's normal for businesses to try to maximise their profits (you'd think it odd if they didn't), and it's also normal to buy an item and be unable to multiply it (you'd think it odd if you could). Just because it's possible to multiply items in SL, doesn't mean that, therefore, everything must be sold that way. Be happy that some things are, and try to stop being critical when they are not. Be content with the things you can buy that suit your preferences. It's no good fighting a battle you can't win. I already won that particular battle years ago, and you can't change that ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

@KT Kingsley

I didn't say that, and you should know it!

When someone suggested that it was greed to want to "maximise your income", as you put it, I said that it probably was. Your comment was just plain silly.

It's normal for businesses to try to maximise their profits (you'd think it odd if they didn't), and it's also normal to buy an item and be unable to multiply it (you'd think it odd if you could). Just because it's possible to multiply items in SL, doesn't mean that, therefore, everything must be sold that way. Be happy that some things are, and try to stop being critical when they are not. Be content with the things you can buy that suit your preferences. It's no good fighting a battle you can't win ;)

As most items of furniture are now copy it seems the market voted on your business model and said no thanks, it is rare now to find anything that isnt old stuff that is no copy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

As most items of furniture are now copy it seems the market voted on your business model and said no thanks, it is rare now to find anything that isnt old stuff that is no copy

It makes no difference, Kanry. I haven't ventured to say how sellers should sell their stuff. I only said how I sold mine and why.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.